What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s like you haven’t learned anything from the last 6 years. How is OL not a recruiting position? If anything it is the most important recruiting position on the staff. No, that doesn’t mean the coaching aspect should be discounted.
All ACs need to be able to recruit, of course, but it’s not a recruiting position like RB/TE where that is the primary job responsibility. OL coach has to be a coach, first and foremost, and recruiter secondary to that.

All ACs need to be able to recruit, of course, but it’s not a recruiting position like RB/TE where that is the primary job responsibility. OL coach has to be a coach, first and foremost, and recruiter secondary to that.
A TE coach should be heavily involved in helping to recruit the OL as well as the positions work together on blocking schemes.

As stated the OL coach is more of a coach and a recruiter and the TE coach should be more of a recruiter than a coach to balance that out. Doesn't mean am OL coach won't recruit or a TE coach doesn't coach, they have to multi task.

A TE coach should be heavily involved in helping to recruit the OL as well as the positions work together on blocking schemes.

As stated the OL coach is more of a coach and a recruiter and the TE coach should be more of a recruiter than a coach to balance that out. Doesn't mean am OL coach won't recruit or a TE coach doesn't coach, they have to multi task.
Yep. Often times you see the OL divided into two groups for coaching purposes... G/C and T/TE. Definitely a group that relies on both coaches working together. Point being, you can’t have a Bernardi on staff, coaching TEs only, who doesn’t do any recruiting, just like you can’t have an OL on staff like Adams who was very much mediocre at both, but probably a better recruiter than coach. More aspects of MM’s staff decisions that just boggles the mind.

Something with OL coach and recruiting to keep in mind is that OLs are kind of a different breed than other positions. They don't generally go for all the hype and shine like other positions. They care a lot more about whether an OL coach is delivering great OLs and getting his players to the NFL than whether that coach is a good salesman. So I see it as an assistant position where hiring the best coach delivers you a great recruiter. The thing that matters with the recruiting that you need to vett out is that the guy has to have the interest and conviction in recruiting to want to put that work in (so don't hire an NFL guy who hates recruiting and you'll be fine).

Colorado is not a job where you can take responsibilities away from coaches, it’s a all hands on deck situation if we want to meet the expectations of those on this board (too 30 in the recruiting rankings every year)
Of course they are still going to recruit. And they should develop relationships in our footprint (When we stretch ourselves to SEC areas that hasn’t worked well in the past). I’m just saying OC and OL coaches who’s strengths are x and o, technique, and development over recruiting are better for this staff then the other way around. Chev for example is a great recruiter but was miserable at play calling. That is not what I want with this staff. If you get both attributes from OC and OL and they are star recruiters too great, but if we get a great OC calling the plays and not our strongest recruiter and a lights out recruiting TE coach who is weaker on technique that is the next best thing.

If you want to win this conference, and beat those top fronts like Washington and Utah, you have to have elite offensive lines which means you need to recruit at the top of the conference. Even if you are the best o line coach in terms of technique you still won’t be able to compete with those guys without athletes. So recruiting is more important, especially when you consider they are responsible for the most players out of any coach on the team.

And no that doesn’t mean you get a guy who can’t coach but it is secondary.

Look at the teams that recruit the best in this conference, then look at their assistant coaches and it is pretty obvious it’s not over rated.

What about Coach Lake's background at Montana State or the NFL suggested he'd be a super-recruiter in the PAC footprint? Nothing about past work experience.

My point is simply that a good recruiter certainly has a small time-adjustment to build his contacts if he hasn't recruited that footprint, but that it's a small obstacle that can be remedied in small amount of time. Lake is just a good recruiter. I hire salespeople all the time from other industries, you have it or you don't.

So I repeat, while getting a staff that's recruited in our footprint is better than not, it's not near the top of what I'd be concerned with. Especially out of the OL, DL, OC and HC positions. Getting a RB coach who's got that rolodex in our footprint (and a few other coaches) will really help get it going quickly (for example). We need great coaches, who are proven recruiters. They'll solve the geography issue pretty easily.

No doubt. I don’t think I have seen an Alabama front 7 challenged like UGA did tor most of that game yesterday. It was pretty even and there were times the UGA OL was actually owning the LOS.
Looked like the majority of that game to me, half of it at the very least.

What about Coach Lake's background at Montana State or the NFL suggested he'd be a super-recruiter in the PAC footprint? Nothing about past work experience.

My point is simply that a good recruiter certainly has a small time-adjustment to build his contacts if he hasn't recruited that footprint, but that it's a small obstacle that can be remedied in small amount of time. Lake is just a good recruiter. I hire salespeople all the time from other industries, you have it or you don't.

So I repeat, while getting a staff that's recruited in our footprint is better than not, it's not near the top of what I'd be concerned with. Especially out of the OL, DL, OC and HC positions. Getting a RB coach who's got that rolodex in our footprint (and a few other coaches) will really help get it going quickly (for example). We need great coaches, who are proven recruiters. They'll solve the geography issue pretty easily.
Jimmy lake has been recruiting Southern California for a long time, he has connections and he is an elite level recruiter in the country. I never said we don’t need good coaches, just that they need to have experience in our footprint to work well. Why is this so hard to understand? I would rather have a coach who is 60-40 recruiter than a guy that is the opposite.

Kenny Dillingham-Memphis OC

This would be a pretty risky hire—very young coach (under 30 yrs old) and not the primary play caller at Memphis—probably too risky for Tucker as a first-time head coach. But, I’d actually kinda like the move. That Norvell offense has effectively blended spread and pro-style concepts; they are a top-ten offense; and they can pass the ball and run it (two 1000-yard rushers this year). Dillingham is said to actually know this offense the best of any of the staff members as he has been with Norvell since Arizona State. Dillingham should also have some connection to Dan Lanning (rumored to be one of the guys Tucker would bring from Georgia) from their time at Memphis. Very intriguing name.

Last edited:
solid recruiter with connections in California.
He doesn't have a rep as a recruiter. Now in his 60s and both Oregon and Tennessee couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He was only at SDSU for 2 years, so the ties don't go very deep there. He's a name everyone knows, but I don't know what else to say positively. I'd much rather retain Drake - and I don't think of Drake as any more than a young coach who had a nice 1st year and seems to have a lot of potential but hasn't shown he can recruit on this level.

I would take him as a TE coach. He was an OL coach before moving up the ranks no?
No. He was a LB as a player who became a DL Coach. Then he became a HC. Helfrich, in a bout of temporary insanity, made him his DC for a year. He is not an offensive coach.

He doesn't have a rep as a recruiter. Now in his 60s and both Oregon and Tennessee couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He was only at SDSU for 2 years, so the ties don't go very deep there. He's a name everyone knows, but I don't know what else to say positively. I'd much rather retain Drake - and I don't think of Drake as any more than a young coach who had a nice 1st year and seems to have a lot of potential but hasn't shown he can recruit on this level.
He has always been known as a good recruiter. Oregon and Tennessee didn't really have a choice since they were moving on from the head guys and I definitely don't see him as a DC so that Oregon year doesn't matter much to me. I like Drake too, just pointing out a guy that people wanted as our DL coach last off season was just let go today and is available.

He has always been known as a good recruiter. Oregon and Tennessee didn't really have a choice since they were moving on from the head guys and I definitely don't see him as a DC so that Oregon year doesn't matter much to me. I like Drake too, just pointing out a guy that people wanted as our DL coach last off season was just let go today and is available.
I think people like him because they've heard of him. I don't see much here that's appealing and believe CU can do much better.

I think people like him because they've heard of him. I don't see much here that's appealing and believe CU can do much better.
I think he is a fine selection but if Tucker is going to move on from Drake then it should be for a Poly guy.

Anyone know if UGA DL Coach Tray Scott has the chops to be a DC? That dude can recruit...and coach. Maybe Tucker brings him and a couple 5 stars with him.

This would be a pretty risky hire—very young coach (under 30 yrs old) and not the primary play caller at Memphis—probably too risky for Tucker as a first-time head coach. But, I’d actually kinda like the move. That Norvell offense has effectively blended spread and pro-style concepts; they are a top-ten offense; and they can pass the ball and run it (two 1000-yard rushers this year). Dillingham is said to actually know this offense the best of any of the staff members as he has been with Norvell since Arizona State. Dillingham should also have some connection to Dan Lanning (rumored to be one of the guys Tucker would bring from Georgia) from their time at Memphis. Very intriguing name.

Memphis has a top-3 (in the whole country) O-Line too. I have watched a few of their games just to marvel at their great zone blocking, trapping and pulling on run plays. Really fun to watch an O-Line that is that efficient and well run. I am going to have to look at who their O-Line coach is.

Silverfield is an active recruiter (mostly local recruiting) who actually got a 4* OT to Memphis a couple years ago. He's young and the resume isn't very long, but that resume includes taking over the Detroit Lions OL with a ton of success before having a ton of success at Memphis. I think he'd be a home run hire, actually. One of those guys I'd expect to do a great job and then get hired away to be someone's OC in 2 or 3 years.

Back