What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Brady Hoke just got fired by the Panthers if anyone is interested as a LB/DL coach?

The timing could be good. I don't think that staff is going to be around Atlanta after this year.
And we're hiring a HC from the same state who has overlapping time in the NFL competing with his OLs as a DC. Got to figure that Tucker and Morgan have rubbed elbows in some of the same circles. It's not a crazy thought at all.

Well, yeah. But he's at the top of the craft in the NFL and I don't think he's coached in college since he was a GA at Idaho (under Cable?). If he'd come back for his alma mater, I don't think anyone would complain about that.
I’m not one to put too much stock into NFL production when talking about college coaches, but Atlanta is dead last in the NFL in rushing and he’s the run game coordinator. Also as a fantasy football owner of Tevin Coleman who gave me 8 yards on 6 carries this week, I’m currently biased against this guy!!

Silverfield is an active recruiter (mostly local recruiting) who actually got a 4* OT to Memphis a couple years ago. He's young and the resume isn't very long, but that resume includes taking over the Detroit Lions OL with a ton of success before having a ton of success at Memphis. I think he'd be a home run hire, actually. One of those guys I'd expect to do a great job and then get hired away to be someone's OC in 2 or 3 years.

And there was a year overlap with Kwahn Drake as an offensive analyst at Memphis in 2016 (along with Lanning)

HC: Mel Tucker

OC: Dell McGee
OL: Ryan Silverfield
WR/RC: Darrin Chiaverini
RB: Tee Martin (Dell McGee's positional expertise)
QB: Kurt Roper
ST/TE: Robby Discher or Joe Lorig

DC: Dan Lanning
DL: Kwahn Drake
DE/OLB: DJ Eliot
ILB: tbd (insert stud recruiter here as this is Lanning's expertise): consider Ross Els
DB: ShaDon Brown

S&C: Wendel Davis

Last edited:
And there was a year overlap with Kwahn Drake as an offensive analyst at Memphis in 2016 (along with Lanning)

ILB: tbd (insert stud recruiter here as this is Lanning's expertise): consider Ross Els

It's bizarre to me that you'd want to keep so much of the staff and that, with that, Els is one of the handful of guys you'd be looking to replace. We've each got our own opinions, though.

OC: James Coley-Georgia
OL: Mike Sewak-Georgia tech
RB: Tee Martin - USC
QB: Kenny dillingham-Memphis
ST/TE: Adam Schier- texas tech

DC: Glen Schumann-Georgia
ILB: Aaron Henry-Nc state

S&C: Wilson Love- FAU

Tried to have a mix of young and old while also trying to pick a staff we could afford. Those two coordinators, specifically the OC are going to cost us. So I tried to go more affordable with the rest.

Tried to have a mix of young and old while also trying to pick a staff we could afford. Those two coordinators, specifically the OC are going to cost us. So I tried to go more affordable with the rest.

You cannot have 11 assistant coaches.

And if Eliot is retained in that capacity...:ROFLMAO:

That looks like one dysfunctional coaching staff.

Plus - TSCSO (T-shirt cannon safety officer): Chip

I need some bad ass OC names. What you guys got?

James coley is my dream guy but as mentioned he’s turned down jimbo at a&m. A young guy id like to see is Dillingham from Memphis. I’d also be fine with tee Martin just bc if his recruiting.Just my opinion

Isn’t Eliot getting paid that regardless? Reason I reused some guys I don’t necessarily love is Bc I was under the impression we were paying them anyway? Reusing then allows us to spend up for guys like Coley in my scenario

I'd let someone else handle the budget. That's not our responsibility as fans.

I'd let someone else handle the budget. That's not our responsibility as fans.
Obviously it’s not. If im trying to do a realistic scenario of what I’d like to see should I just can everyone and rob all the assistants off of Bama and Clemson? Assume we can give them all $1mil salaries? I’m trying to be realistic.

Obviously it’s not. If im trying to do a realistic scenario of what I’d like to see should I just can everyone and rob all the assistants off of Bama and Clemson? Assume we can give them all $1mil salaries? I’m trying to be realistic.

id think theyve talked about it during the interview process and id be surprised if many were kept

id think theyve talked about it during the interview process and id be surprised if many were kept
Hope you’re right! I have faith in RG’s ability to raise money but paying a head coach between $3-$4m as well as paying one to go away. Just hard to think we can right off the whole staff and afford a new one.

Sterlin Gilbert seemed to be well thought of a couple years ago. Maybe he’s ready to move on from Charlie Strong and USF.

Back