What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I dont believe RG will make Tucker keep anyone. Chev as wr coach is ok. Hagan will have a job even if its not on the field. I also like Drake. But a whole new staff would not break my heart. Also curious about the SC job.

Chev can be retained, imo, as long as he's cool with dropping back to WR coach. If his ego can handle that, I'd love to have him stay for recruiting continuity and because the WR corps has performed exceptionally since he's been here.

I also think that he shouldn't yet be tossed aside as a future OC. Just because he was in over his head this year doesn't mean he will be next time.

As for Hagan.... I guess if you're going to keep two coaches for continuity, he's as good as any....

The article from CU mentions that Tucker was a college teammate of and is a close friend with former Vikings and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell (currently unemployed). Twelve years as an NFL OC. If it happened we can just pretend like at the end of the Super Bowl he did in fact give the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the one...
That’s the type of oc I’d feel comfortable with Chev working under. He can still go about recruiting, but also bring some insight with college play calling and scheming, as long as it’s more than just passes behind the line of scrimmage. Coley is cool too.

The article from CU mentions that Tucker was a college teammate of and is a close friend with former Vikings and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell (currently unemployed). Twelve years as an NFL OC. If it happened we can just pretend like at the end of the Super Bowl he did in fact give the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the one...

Disluke

I dont believe RG will make Tucker keep anyone. Chev as wr coach is ok. Hagan will have a job even if its not on the field. I also like Drake. But a whole new staff would not break my heart. Also curious about the SC job.
Hadn't seen it mentioned, SIAP, but is Chev rumored to SC?

DC job is a perfect place for an up & comer, perhaps with Poly ties. OC needs to be the owner of that offense all by himself.

Jeff Grimes?
We'd definitely pay more than BYU, but he was brought in there as OC and they made a big deal about him changing to a physical system that fit what the could recruit. It worked well and saved his HC's job this year. I love him as a coach, but I think it would be a hard thing to pull him right now.

Ok, I just spent some time looking at the staffs he was on the last few years to see if there were some obvious candidates

Alabama 2015 - none really, but that staff had 5 guys who are now HCs elsewhere (Kiffin, Tucker, Smart, Cristobal and Billy Napier at Louisiana)
UGA 2016 - staff is largely still the same, Pruitt took their DL coach and OLB coach when he took the job at Tennessee, Shane Beamer (Frank's kid) took an AHC job at Oklahoma before this season
2 noteworthy NFL guys he's worked with - Ron Prince (now analyst at Michigan), Dirk Koetter (former ASU, Boise coach, soon to be fired by Tampa)

From reading around a little and looking at what UGA fans are saying I think Lanning and Coley are definitely options, UGA fans seem to think it's definitely possible and are not dismissing it out of hand. Coley is an ace South Florida recruiter who turned down Jimbo Fisher when he wanted him at A&M presumably because he wants to call plays, Lanning has Texas ties. The UGA WR coach Cortez Hankton fits the footprint as a Louisiana native who played in Texas in college.

Schulmann is getting mentioned a lot as an option to succeed Tucker as UGA DC if Kirby promotes from within, so I'd think that's unlikely.

Last edited:
We'd definitely pay more than BYU, but he was brought in there as OC and they made a big deal about him changing to a physical system that fit what the could recruit. It worked well and saved his HC's job this year. I love him as a coach, but I think it would be a hard thing to pull him right now.
If he had ties to BYU or was LDS, then I'd agree. For non-LDS members, getting out of Provo is priority one. He is not LDS.

Koetter is an interesting candidate, if nothing other only for his ASU experience.

However, I get the feeling it's going to be an all hands on deck situation with recruiting, and I'm not sure Koetter's age (59) will be a big help there.

Koetter is an interesting candidate, if nothing other only for his ASU experience.

However, I get the feeling it's going to be an all hands on deck situation with recruiting, and I'm not sure Koetter's age (59) will be a big help there.
OC isn't a primary recruiter job. I'd be more concerned with his system working at CFB level. Despite what is the popular slogan of the day, not every coach has to be a super-recruiter first and foremost. No successful staff looks like that. Just look at their pictures of old white fat dudes. We better find an OC who is really really good at offense.

Last edited:
https://georgiadogs.com/staff.aspx?staff=402 This guy would be a grand slam. Great recruiter and great OL coach. We’d have to pay him OC-level pay though. I think he’s making 800K at UGA right now.

Chaney and Pittman are the 2 guys they're completely dismissing FWIW. I could maybe see McGee even with both him and Tucker being AA coaches if they have a good relationship, but unless we can offer a promotion (and therefore more control and a raise) I don't see how we pull a guy from Georgia if it isn't for some good fortune.

Chaney and Pittman are the 2 guys they're completely dismissing FWIW. I could maybe see McGee even with both him and Tucker being AA coaches if they have a good relationship, but unless we can offer a promotion (and therefore more control and a raise) I don't see how we pull a guy from Georgia if it isn't for some good fortune.
Dismissing as being good coaches (thus they don't care) or dismissing the notion that they would leave?

Coley and Lanning for assistants and 2-3 support staff members. Would not surprise me if Tucker used his Saban connections to snag a couple assistants as well.
Can you imagine if CU walks into the kids recruiting living room with a staff filled with Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State coaches that have come to CU?

We maybe have never ever seen recruiting at CU like we are going to see. And if that’s true...the he is right. Colorado is a sleeping giant.

Here come the assholes!!

This may seem weird, but I'm actually more eager to find out who our OL coach is going to be than our OC. OC is #2 for me, though.
Because we all know that was the biggest Achilles Heel of the 2018 CU Buffs. I’m glad that Adams screwed the pooch though, because I don’t know if I could have handled a 6-6 record and a few more years of struggling to make a bowl.

We might struggle to make one next year. But if we had the 2018 staff I would have been predicting 2-3 wins. And that may have been generous.

I agree with the O Line coaching comments. Great football teams are defined by their offensive and defensive lines. It will be interesting to see how Tucker picks his staff and if the Buffs try to emulate SEC powerhouses.

maybe we could lure McGee with a truck of cash and a running game coordinator title or something

doubt we have that kind of money, though

Todd Monken is probably the most fascinating offensive name to have worked with Mel and to be available in the next month. He was the WRs coach for the Jags with Mel.

He’s currently the OC of the #1 passing offense in the NFL by yards and he’s getting 9 yards per attempt with the country buffet combo platter that is Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston. Sure, he’s more likely to be coaching A-Rod next year than Montez but this is a no excuse program now.

I get the love for Chev, but the OC/DC position shares the BLAME for the team not playing at a high level, demoting him to WR position is like demoting Coach MikeMac to CB position and keeping them both here at CU. It will not work! A fresh start will benefit the players and coaches. I don’t mind if Coach Tucker keep some assistance (if it fits his coaching philosophy).

Back