What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

I do smile when Directv tells its customers that it is the fault of the Pac 12 in order to attempt to keep us as a subscriber. I don't really care who is at fault. My choices are to (1) find a new alma mater or (2) drop Directv and switch to a company that offers the Pac 12 network. Since number one isn't actually a choice, then it is a no brainer imo.

rep

DirecTV is really being stupid about this. By the time they get their act together, the damage will be done. Morons.

Re: Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

DirecTV is really being stupid about this. By the time they get their act together, the damage will be done. Morons.

They'll be suckling off Orr's teat for at least another year.

Semper Gumby

hehe. Orr, tell them you are happy to take them to small claims court if necessary.

hehe. Orr, tell them you are happy to take them to small claims court if necessary.

Maybe I'll try that. The rep responded with a phone number, PIN and five day window. I'll try to make the call today. I like using email, though, because my signature block makes me sound a lot more impressive than I am.

Maybe I'll try that. The rep responded with a phone number, PIN and five day window. I'll try to make the call today. I like using email, though, because my signature block makes me sound a lot more impressive than I am.
Note: my recommendation was not, in any way, legal advice. Who knows how likely you are to get spanked in small claims court. But it would cost the company far more to fight it than to let you out of your contract.

I would think so. Do you still work for the Justice Department as Head of their Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practice Division?

DTV actually did the exact same thing to the B10 Network years ago when they started, and today Dish has a very large contingent of very loyal subscribers in the B10 footprint because of it.

DTV has exactly one product: Sunday Ticket. If/when the NFL ends their monopoly on that, they're toast.

DTV actually did the exact same thing to the B10 Network years ago when they started, and today Dish has a very large contingent of very loyal subscribers in the B10 footprint because of it.

DTV has exactly one product: Sunday Ticket. If/when the NFL ends their monopoly on that, they're toast.
hehe. http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....TV-for-redzone-this-Football-season-(for-real!)

Monopoly is kind of dead. No excuses now for all you sallys that won't switch!

How hard is it to get a Pac12 user ID on the Pac12 website?? do any of you Buffs have one?? Reason I ask, you could log on the Pac12 website and stream the game to your TV... thought of that, just have not had the energy to try and get a Pac12 user id.... think you have to be an employee of said Pac12 ?

How hard is it to get a Pac12 user ID on the Pac12 website?? do any of you Buffs have one?? Reason I ask, you could log on the Pac12 website and stream the game to your TV... thought of that, just have not had the energy to try and get a Pac12 user id.... think you have to be an employee of said Pac12 ?
no go. gotta have P12 network for all stuff that's actually on TV.

I am truly torn. I have been a loyal DirecTv subscriber for almost 21 years and hate to go through the hassles of learning an all new channel list, satelite boxes, lose my bundle savings, all new equipment, installer, etc... damn Pac and DTV for doing this. I thought we lived in a society where we can get anything anywhere?? besides, other than Pac12 network - Directv trumps all others in bang for the buck.

maybe someone can just pass out their Comcast code and we can watch on-line???

do it for the team

Last edited:
I am truly torn. I have been a loyal DirecTv subscriber for almost 21 years and hate to go through the hassles of learning an all new channel list, satelite boxes, lose my bundle savings, all new equipment, installer, etc... damn Pac and DTV for doing this. I thought we lived in a society where we can get anything anywhere?? besides, other than Pac12 network - Directv trumps all others in bang for the buck.

maybe someone can just pass out their Comcast code and we can watch on-line???

do it for the team

You'll be able to get every game online. If you're comfortable watching via computer - don't dump Direct TV. It is easy to find the games online.

Found this site, looks promising for football season

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you have a Mac you can mirror it to your appletv. Works really well with vipbox. I did it last basketball season but then got sick of Dtv and their ****. Made the switch this off season and while I still can't find my channels I love the decision. More channels, more DVRs, same phone service, better Internet all for more than $100 less per month

Directv trumps all others in bang for the buck.

????

DirecTV is certainly more expensive. Their technology is also no longer state of the art. Not sure how more expensive with worse technology = more bang for the buck...

By switching to DISH we have better technology and are paying significantly less than we were two weeks ago with DirecTV, even when the $99 on-line NFL Ticket is factored in...

????

DirecTV is certainly more expensive. Their technology is also no longer state of the art. Not sure how more expensive with worse technology = more bang for the buck...

By switching to DISH we have better technology and are paying significantly less than we were two weeks ago with DirecTV, even when the $99 on-line NFL Ticket is factored in...

It is all relative. I get the full Comcast channel lineup which includes the premium sports package, HBO and Showtime and high speed internet for $99/month when it would normally be priced about $170. You just call up with a friendly attitude when the deal is about to expire and tell them that DirectTV has a pretty sweet deal, but you want to hang around if they keep the price the same for the next 6 or 12 months and they always take care of me. Thus why Sacky and I are polar opposites on Comcast/Xfinity. The few times that I've had a customer service issue like he has mentioned in about 15 years of service, they have immediately fixed the problem and often thrown in a deal as well. Plus I've got Pac 12 Network.

warning - saw this on Rivals
Dish vs. ESPN: The Mother of All Fee Fights?
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (August 6, 2013) - Dish's eight-year carriage deal with ESPN is scheduled to end next month and it could lead to the nastiest and most important fee fight yet in the TV industry.

David Geotzl of MediaPost.com notes that relations between Dish and ESPN and Disney, which owns ESPN, have not been cordial over the years with lawsuits filed from both sides over issues such as back carriage fees and alleged unfair rates.

While it's in the best interest of both companies to keep broadcasting ESPN to Dish's 14 million plus subscribers, the acrimony between the two and Dish's interest in reducing its cost for sports programming overall could lead to an extended channel blackout

And if it does, it could encourage other TV providers to take a stand against ESPN's demands for significantly higher carriage fees to help offset its multi-billion contracts to carry the NFL, college football and other sports.

Media Post says the current Dish-ESPN deal is set to expire September 30, which would be during the 2013 NFL season. Without ESPN, Dish subscribers would be unable to watch Monday Night Football. However, Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen, a steely negotiator, has shown a willingness in the past to do without seemingly critical programming to make a point in carriage talks.

Media Post estimates that Dish is now paying an average of more than $5 a month per subscriber for ESPN, but could be asked to raise that to $7 a month or more. It's hard to believe that Ergen will readily accept that rate and it could trigger his call for ESPN to be a separate, a la carte channel, something ESPN would fiercely oppose because it would mean fewer viewers and fewer advertising/carriage dollars.

Dish could also pull a few rabbits -- or kangaroos -- out of its hat by telling ESPN that it will not subject the network to its Hopper HD DVR's automatic ad-skipping feature if it relents on higher carriage fees. Dish currently only allows subscribers to use the feature on primetime programs on the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC), which has led to lawsuits from the networks.

The more you examine the Dish-ESPN negotiation, the more thorny you see it can become, particularly since Ergen once wistfully said he could foresee a day when a TV provider did not offer any sports.

September should be an interesting month in the sports world, and not just on the field

Last edited by a moderator:
If one of the providers gave me an all sports option, with the conference channels, espn, nfl network, mlb network, etc. I would buy just that. Get an antenna for the local networks and that would be that.

No, not married.

I wonder if DTV is using the P12 issue to push for more a-la-carte choices. If so, I'm supportive. I probably only watch 20 out of the 70 or so channels that are available to me.

Since the Buffs are on P12, and Dish has P12, I guess I really don't care that much that if ESPiN gets knocked off the channel line up for a while. I can't remember the last MNF game I watched, and if ESPin goes off the DISH in SEC country during FB season, I think the societal chaos in the trailer parks of the deep south might be worth it.

Re: Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

Since the Buffs are on P12, and Dish has P12, I guess I really don't care that much that if ESPiN gets knocked off the channel line up for a while. I can't remember the last MNF game I watched, and if ESPin goes off the DISH in SEC country during FB season, I think the societal chaos in the trailer parks of the deep south might be worth it.

Doesn't ESPN own some tier one rights? You may miss some games if they can't show on the PAC12 network.

Back