What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All Starting College QBs Ranked - Montez Comes In At #41

Tyler Huntley is most over-rated. Sure he had ok numbers thru 7 games, but that includes Southern Utah, San Jose State, Oregon State.

16. Huntley threw for 1,788 yards and 12 touchdowns to six picks and rushed for 304 yards and four scores (in first 9 games).

Montez: 2,849 yards and 19 touchdowns to nine picks, and I'm not making a case for him to be higher rated.

But Huntley had a better balanced offense around him, and Utah continued to put up points after Huntley went down scoring over 30 points vs Oregon, Colorado and BYU to close out the regular season. They managed only 3 vs UW in the PAC12 championship, but they managed only 7 earlier in the season with Huntley at QB.

Huntley seems to get a lot of press support for mediocre numbers.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to watching SM play for an experinced OC, behind a line that is actually getting high level coaching, with the other players who are getting focused coaching from their position coaches. With the added bonus of using the S&C program as if it actually means something, and this is what really gives me hope. They will continue to lift during the season to maintain and build strength. I see him having to be a top 3 QB in the PAC for the buffs to have a winning season.

I'm looking forward to watching SM play for an experinced OC, behind a line that is actually getting high level coaching, with the other players who are getting focused coaching from their position coaches. With the added bonus of using the S&C program as if it actually means something, and this is what really gives me hope. They will continue to lift during the season to maintain and build strength. I see him having to be a top 3 QB in the PAC for the buffs to have a winning season.
This.

It will be more about him deciding what he wants to do in his last season than anything else.

I think Montez will take a step forward because it sounds like the offense will be tailored more to his strengths and OCJJ will just have him in better positions to make decisions.

His ceiling is probably 3rd best QB in the PAC and his floor is Lytle takes over come conference play.

He'll end up top 15 or so if his top 3 receivers don't miss half a season or more like they did last year.
If he ends up top 15, we'll be enjoying one hell of a season.

Frankly, with a 5th year senior who has this many starts and has this level of tools, our Buffs should have an advantage at the QB position against everyone we play except Oregon. If we get that along with having the best offensive player on the field every week (Shenault), we'll win a lot of games.

If he ends up top 15, we'll be enjoying one hell of a season.

Frankly, with a 5th year senior who has this many starts and has this level of tools, our Buffs shouldReply have an advantage at the QB position against everyone we play except Oregon. If we get that along with having the best offensive player on the field every week (Shenault), we'll win a lot of games.
I thought that he played as a freshman, when Sefo was injured in the Michigan game ... that would make he a four year guy ... am I wrong?

I no longer feel passionately one way or the other about him. I guess half a decade of ups and downs will do that. Hope he plays well, if not, next man up.

Is there a history of college QB’s stepping up their games in their 5th year as a 3 year starter? If he plays like he did the past two seasons he looks to be rated about right to me.

Is there a history of college QB’s stepping up their games in their 5th year as a 3 year starter? If he plays like he did the past two seasons he looks to be rated about right to me.
I don't know how much there is to it, but I know that when I personally look at our schedule I worry more about opponents if they have an experienced senior at QB -- even if he's mediocre. I've heard coaches make comments that would support that viewpoint.

fwiw, the last time we had a senior QB starting after he'd been mediocre and sometimes frustrating in previous years it was Sefo in 2016. It's not like his numbers exploded as a senior, but he did show a lot more poise while cleaning up some stuff to play winning football. Gave us a huge advantage for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the season until younger opponents had matured.

Last edited:
All the physical skills but just does not seem to have the mental acumen to be successful under pressure. If the team can run the ball consistently, then he will be much better. Else, teams have figured out how to defend Montez.....fluster him....

I don't know how much there is to it, but I know that when I personally look at our schedule I worry more about opponents if they have an experienced senior at QB -- even if he's mediocre. I've heard coaches make comments that would support that viewpoint.

fwiw, the last time we had a senior QB starting after he'd been mediocre and sometimes frustrating in previous years it was Sefo in 2016. It's not like his numbers exploded as a senior, but he did show a lot more poise while cleaning up some stuff to play winning football. Gave us a huge advantage for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the season until younger opponents had matured.
Was about to use Sefo as an example as someone that made enough progress in their last year to make a major difference in a season. The other thing is we've never really seen Steven with a normal amount of time in the pocket and not being knocked down 10 times a game. With the potential lineup for the o-line we have as well as Coach Kap (a real offensive line coach) coaching them up, I'd expect the line to look better than it has the last 3/4 years. I can't imagine many quarterbacks would look good if they never had sufficient time in the pocket.

Was about to use Sefo as an example as someone that made enough progress in their last year to make a major difference in a season. The other thing is we've never really seen Steven with a normal amount of time in the pocket and not being knocked down 10 times a game. With the potential lineup for the o-line we have as well as Coach Kap (a real offensive line coach) coaching them up, I'd expect the line to look better than it has the last 3/4 years. I can't imagine many quarterbacks would look good if they never had sufficient time in the pocket.
This type of thing happens when the line is as porous as what Steven has had the last 2 years.

Sefo was willing to take on contact as a runner, though, which was a massive part of the short yardage and goal line offense that season. Montez has shown the exact opposite as a runner, which isn't going to cut it in 2019. Sefo was also a very humble individual and natural leader. Montez.... not so much.

Montez is a more talented passer and runner than Sefo, there is no doubt about it. Unfortunately talent alone doesn't mean much at the QB position if the mental side isn't there as well. I'm hopeful that stuff clicks with Montez this year, but he hasn't shown much of it to this point.

Back