What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All the Deer, Elk, Moose, Doves, Quail, Ducks, Geese and any other critters...

Sorry, I'm trying to understand where you're going with this. Are you a vegan/vegetarian? I was under the impression you were not, which is where my confusion is coming from.
I don’t eat pork at all, and order humanely raised and slaughtered livestock online. At least trying to be humane, though I’m sure it’s not great. I won’t turn down food at a dinner/bbq and I’ll order meat at decent restaurants without ensuring its origin/treatment. It would certainly be better if I was absolute about it, but I accept a level of ****tiness in those social situations. I would suggest others consider seeking out better meat, so that they’re trying harder than not at all.

The hunters I know aren’t saints, and I’ve never heard them offer any consideration about animal rights in the livestock industry. I appreciate the attitudes in here. If you’re straight up replacing factory farm meat with your hunt I can respect that.

Ultimately, I think no hunting would be great and that all livestock was humanely raised and slaughtered, since it’s that suffering that makes (non-pork) products unethical. We humans have such an unfair advantage over wild animals and I wish we could simply leave them all alone.

Last edited:
I don’t eat pork at all, and order humanely raised and slaughtered livestock online. At least trying to be humane, though I’m sure it’s not great. I won’t turn down food at a dinner/bbq and I’ll order meat at decent restaurants without ensuring its origin/treatment. It would certainly be better if I was absolute about it, but I accept a level of ****tiness in those social situations. I would suggest others consider seeking out better meat, so that they’re trying harder than not at all.

The hunters I know aren’t saints, and I’ve never heard them offer any consideration about animal rights in the livestock industry. I appreciate the attitudes in here. If you’re straight up replacing factory farm meat with your hunt I can respect that.

Ultimately, I think no hunting would be great and that all livestock was humanely raised and slaughtered, since it’s that suffering that makes (non-pork) products unethical. We humans have such an unfair advantage over wild animals and I wish we could simply leave them all alone.
Thanks for clarifying. What does humanely raised mean to you? Wouldn’t an animal taken in the wild be the most humanely raised?

Please lay out for me the model a farmer could ever follow that would result in as ethical a kill as an elk raised in the wild, free to roam and live its life as an elk until the moment it it is put down by a clean shot from an ethical hunter.

This documentary From Steve Rinella does a really good job of looking at hunting from a variety of angles. Highly recommended

edit: it's now on netflix so you heathens don't have to shell out any extra dough for art.

Last edited:
Please lay out for me the model a farmer could ever follow that would result in as ethical a kill as an elk raised in the wild, free to roam and live its life as an elk until the moment it it is put down by a clean shot from an ethical hunter.
I think small farms can come close. We buy a pig every year from a farmer down near Kiowa. The pigs are free range on the farm and are allowed to forage whatever they want in addition to the feed the farmer gives them. One of them apparently liked to dig up yucca plants to eat the roots, so there were holes all over the pasture where they roamed. But they're still not completely free.

But you can't replicate that on a large scale.

Yeah, I get the conservation argument for trophy hunting, but I still don't like it. They are killing just to kill. And people that pay for that kind of thing are usually huge douches in my experience. Like Donald Trump Jr.
Our company owner at Haven's Trucking was like that. mother****er went on a safari in Africa just to kill certain animals. Only thing I remember him keeping was heads, he put them in his trophy room at his house. One more thing, he had jerky made by some dude he knew out of a ****ing gazelle. That was some of the most gamey stuff I ever tasted. Bastard didn't tell me what it was. He goes, "come on LuKe, try some of this jerky." I spit that bull**** out, and he died laughing. I wanted to kick his ass after that one. :D

I think small farms can come close. We buy a pig every year from a farmer down near Kiowa. The pigs are free range on the farm and are allowed to forage whatever they want in addition to the feed the farmer gives them. One of them apparently liked to dig up yucca plants to eat the roots, so there were holes all over the pasture where they roamed. But they're still not completely free.

But you can't replicate that on a large scale.
I think we're in agreement. it sounds like the farmer you deal with does a fair job of raising pigs in an ethical way. But as you say, they aren't entirely free and thats my point. No agricultural situation will be the same as a wild animal.

We also need to consider that the species of pig you're looking at and eating wouldn't exist without the corrupting forces of agriculture. I'd also like ot know more about the method of kill for a real comparison because thats a lot of whats in play here. An ethical hunter (at least by my definition) can do a better job of killing an animal quickly, without as much panic and fear or pain than I have ever seen any farmer or processor do.

I don't claim any moral high ground here. I buy beef and pork from a friend who raises them just like you and those animals have to go to a processor first. I also hunt for deer, elk, antelope and recently (though unsuccessfully) for bear. I feel a lot better about the animals I kill and I process

went scouting in our elk grounds a couple weekends ago. things are looking good but you never know. I'm getting really excited for this hunting season. likely related to the OP and the absence of football but also the general shut-in-edness of the year. time to get out get away get a little primal.

went scouting in our elk grounds a couple weekends ago. things are looking good but you never know. I'm getting really excited for this hunting season. likely related to the OP and the absence of football but also the general shut-in-edness of the year. time to get out get away get a little primal.
Good luck this year. I’m heading to the mountains today to hopefully help my buddy take a bull moose down this weekend. Then we all have a cow elk hunt planned for 3rd rifle season in November. Will be nice not missing football games due to hunting.

Good luck this year. I’m heading to the mountains today to hopefully help my buddy take a bull moose down this weekend. Then we all have a cow elk hunt planned for 3rd rifle season in November. Will be nice not missing football games due to hunting.
Thats awesome. I'm only in year 5 of my moose draw so likely have a number of years to go. Let me know how it goes.

Just got back from elk muzzle loader season, saw 12 moose in our area, and saw 10 on Tuesday. Got to watch a guy take a moose, he waited 22 years for a tag. Very exciting. The fire in my area has the elk all messed up, they were not in their usual places and with the forest closure made hunting more difficult. Deer are plentiful, should make for a fun 2nd season deer hunt.

I'm reading a book, and the 1980s UK family is having a roasted goose for X-mas dinner. Why aren't the Canadian geese considered a food source?

Please try to find a hobby that doesn't involve killing creatures. Let them do their thing and real predators be their greatest fear.
I agree 99% of it is horrific, in particular poultry and pig farms. I have posted about ways to find meat that has been vetted to have a more humane life up to its death. That hasn't been a priority for our society, and as people have said people mostly live thinking ignorance is bliss. I appreciate the direct nature of hunters to take on their kill. It is certainly more authentic than those who prefer to think of a chicken breast as an objet simply grown that way like a fruit. Is the argument that hunting is less ****ty than eating Tyson chicken so that makes it good? Like, it's the lesser of two evils?

@HudsonBuff wrote a very nice post, and I appreciate that. I respect your process more than the average meat-eater. (Although I'd say we as humans have blown up the ecosystem and are trying to overcontrol it for our own convenience.) I wish more hunters felt a similar sentiment as him, but most of people I know just like to do it for fun and to show off their kills. Perhaps not overtly, but it's a hobby, something to get excited for, something to fill the time when you're not at work. Seemingly because they don't have better ways to fill their free time. They start going to the gun range, but that gets boring, so why not actually use the bullet in a productive way.

I'd guess that the majority of you grew up around it and that it has a nostalgic impression on you. There is a bit of a conditioning going on, because kids don't tend to want to kill things, so we ritualize and rationalize the process to give it a meaning. I see deer on my property and think it is just a cool animal living in nature that I have no desire to prevent it from continuing to do so, even to eat it. Like I said, I wouldn't give a **** if an alien felt pained and more connected to me if they decided to hunt me or my family for food. I'd rather just go on living my life, however simple and uninteresting they might consider it.

Hunting is such a huge industry. There are so many great things to do with our time, to me it's too bad people don't find different outlets in nature than killing things. As for archery, I appreciate that it seems more "fair" than using a gun (which feel like a human cheat-code.) The common amount of extra suffering mentioned flips that on its head though. A quick death is the only way killing animals for food can be ethical.

As for the funding of conservation and public land, that is just an extra device to feel good about what's going on. That funding could and should come from anywhere to help protect nature for the sake of protecting nature.

Anyway, I know most of you hunters aren't evil human beings, but I still want to suggest finding new hobbies. 😇

Grow up! Either eat meat or don’t . Don’t give me this liberal bull sh*t how you want want all your meat humanely treated. Are you that stupid to realize that you have 400 m people you are trying to feed here in the us and not to mention other countries. Most of these animals are raised for one purpose, to feed people. If it bothers you so friggin much go vegan but don’t start preaching to me. I’m tired of you and you’re ilks sanctimonious bs. Also, I do eat a Ralphie from time to time. Btw what the hell is this thread doing on a football board

I'm reading a book, and the 1980s UK family is having a roasted goose for X-mas dinner. Why aren't the Canadian geese considered a food source?
Before I had any culinary skills or curiosity I shot a Canadian goose and it was greasy and tough. There may well be a way to cook them so it’s delicious but I won’t know cause I’m not doing it again.

Before I had any culinary skills or curiosity I shot a Canadian goose and it was greasy and tough. There may well be a way to cook them so it’s delicious but I won’t know cause I’m not doing it again.
Smoke them or jerky is the only way to go.

Thats awesome. I'm only in year 5 of my moose draw so likely have a number of years to go. Let me know how it goes.
My buddy got his moose Sunday morning. He was a pretty damn big one, estimated about 40 inches wide on the rack. I’ll get some pictures up next week. Its heart was the size of a human head. Heavy pack out. Awesome though.

My buddy got his moose Sunday morning. He was a pretty damn big one, estimated about 40 inches wide on the rack. I’ll get some pictures up next week. Its heart was the size of a human head. Heavy pack out. Awesome though.
what's moose taste like?

Wild fowl does seem greasy, but imagine Denver loaning bows and arrows to the homeless and letting them clean up the parks.

Back