What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All things Nebraska thread Osborne Edition

Is Bo gonna bring the Huskers back to ELITE status?

• Total voters
Re: Tom Osborne got his "yes" man in BO

That's my point,you hire bo but yetit's obvious they gave Tom free reign over everything to win and get nebraska back on top.Why hire BO if every decision is going to have to go through the prodigal son osborne?

What happens when NU finds a permanent AD and he cant stand Pelini?

That's the real rub in my opinion. I think TO has to remain as the permanent AD at this point. Otherwise, you get an AD who wants his guy in there. The AD and the HC at *ebraska better be on the same page, because the football program there pays for everything the department does. Failure there could be catastrophic.

I always think it's a bad idea not to let your head coach hire his assistants. If you're going to give a guy the head coaching job, you should be able to trust him to make good assistant hires. Otherwise, why the hell did you hire him in the first place if you don't fully trust him?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Bohn "strongly encouraged" Hawk to keep Hagen on the staff. Cabral was a no-brainer. When he didn't get (or didn't go after) the Northern Colo. job, Hawk would have been stupid not to keep him.

Hagen on the other hand had very little coaching experiece, but he is a legend at CU, the player's love him, and boosters would have gone ape-**** if Hawk didn't keep him.

I think a little bit of oversight by the AD on staffing issues is necessary for the good of the program (booster relations and team continuity), but the AD has to know where the line is. Bohn and Hawk did a good job in maintaining continuity of the team, retaining connections with the past, and keeping the fans happy.

Tom and his puppet.....

"Bo,you will hire this guy"
"Bo you will run this play"
"Bo,you will get my coffee"
"Bo,you will play this kid"

Little Miss muffet
has found her puppet.:lol:

"Bo, you will shine my shoes"

IMO, TO stays for at least 5 years (assuming he lives that long) and the next AD will be in the fold long before then..... hint, hint.... Trev Alberts is rumored to be in line for AAD, Dave Remington has been mentioned as well... my point is the next AD will be a disciple of TO.

I really believe this is why Bo got the nod, TO has knowledge he wants to dump, he was shut out of the last regime, he wants to leave a legacy at NU more than anything. His wife was overheard by a news camera at the appointment of TO as IAD saying "they took everything he built and destroyed it".... that is telling of itself of his motivation. To look at it in the most negative light I will agree he got his yes man.... If looked at through the most Red tinted sunglasses TO wants to be a teacher, mentor and insure "normalcy" to the "Nebraska way" of doing things..... all the hints are there that this could be what is going on. IF Bo looks at this as an opportunity to learn from one of the best of all time (at hiding guns, playing hoodlums... The CU fan perspective) it is a dream scenario for NU fans.... and if Bo is making hires based on uniting the state and the fan base. (personally I have always heard Ron Brown and Marvin Sanders would be on his staff where ever he landed).... it is all open to debate.

The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

I really believe this is why Bo got the nod, TO has knowledge he wants to dump, he was shut out of the last regime, he wants to leave a legacy at NU more than anything. His wife was overheard by a news camera at the appointment of TO as IAD saying "they took everything he built and destroyed it".... that is telling of itself of his motivation.

that in itself is telling of the fact that she is a prototypical nu homer: she don't know who to blame, so she wrongly blames the coaches who stepped in.

Waylon Van Smack said:
IF Bo looks at this as an opportunity to learn from one of the best of all time (at hiding guns, playing hoodlums... The CU fan perspective) it is a dream scenario for NU fans.... and if Bo is making hires based on uniting the state and the fan base. (personally I have always heard Ron Brown and Marvin Sanders would be on his staff where ever he landed)....

the beauty of it is this Waylon: even if nu united to the point that every family tree did not branch, the UNITING is not the x-factor that will save the program. it is the ability to gain an edge while playing in a context that has been set up to favor parity. everyone has caught up to the advantages that nebraska had: great facilities are everywhere, great strength training programs are everywhere. tv exposure has caught up to every school: espn runs multiple games of thursday and friday nights. saturday is even more of a glutfest of cfb than ever before.

so what does nebraska really have that will give them the edge, that no one else has? you can say "history". kids these days are interested in the here and now. right now: you do not have sole recruiting rights to a scheme that was the best in the nation. nor will you ever get that back. right now, kids know they can get what they want other places.

and consider this: if tom had any shred of confidence whatsoever that he could make it work when the **** hit the fan and the ncaa canned the academic schollies that funded your walk on program, he would have had the stones to stay back then. as it was he scooted at the first brushstroke of the paint on the wall. his knowledge is really outdated in the sense that he expects to get 2 kids for the price of 1 into nu, and the ncaa has quite a bit to say about that expectation.

diminish those facts as a buff fans perspective if it will help you sleep at night. but consider this: TO helped out creighton, did he not? did his help lead them to a hoops title? there is nothing remotely close to magic in the man.

Re: Is this gonna be a good hire for NU?

Bo's teams are 55-10 with him as DC, and 3-0 in conference championship games! He is keeping Watson as OC, and will assemble a great staff behind him. I've got a great feeling about this one!

true....

LittleBoPuppet.jpg

Re: Why I don't fear the Bo hire....

Will he be coaching their bowl game this year?

Oh that's right, the "N" stands for No bowlio for :rip: cornholio :rip:

they are also saying things like NEXT year kansas, missouri AND colorado are sure wins...they will take their RIGHTFUL place atop the north and "it's Bo in the North and Stoops in the south"

the delusion is sickening. really...WHO do they think they are....? their RIGHTFUL place atop the north. really? REALLY?

ugh...and they wonder why everyone outside of "niblet nation" can't stand them.

not to mention that bo is basically putting together the same staff that was around him in 2003 (minus slowpitch and gill).....the same staff that got blown out in their 3 losses and had people crying for a change...DESPITE what they say now about the old guard.

these people are so annoying....not unlike corn in your crap. :wow:

There's no Divine Right of Kings here in Div-IA ('scuse me, Bowl subdivision) football. You have to play teams and beat them. I think CU just needs to beat the arrogance out of the huskers for the next 5 years (or however long BO lasts)

Anyone taking bets on where NU is going to be ranked pre-season next year? I'm going with 5th.

There's no Divine Right of Kings here in Div-IA ('scuse me, Bowl subdivision) football. You have to play teams and beat them. I think CU just needs to beat the arrogance out of the huskers for the next 5 years (or however long BO lasts)

Anyone taking bets on where NU is going to be ranked pre-season next year? I'm going with 5th.

i'll say #14-20.....with ol TO and his puppet there now....

LittleBoPuppet.jpg

I'm going Notre Dame 9th (remember they have momentum going into next season after a two game winning streak to close the season [ignore the fact that it was Duke and Stanford]), and Nubs unranked. Then they will blow out their first two cupcakes and they will be "back" and up to 10th. Then they will loose to V tech, and never be ranked again, until the beginning of next season.

Ah, sorry I meant pre-season ranked in the Big 12 north.

AP/ESPN I'm going with 20 +-5

so what does Nebraska really have that will give them the edge, that no one else has? you can say "history". kids these days are interested in the here and now. right now: you do not have sole recruiting rights to a scheme that was the best in the nation. nor will you ever get that back. right now, kids know they can get what they want other places..
What does NU have that kids want?
Facilities next to none... you want bling, they got bling. $60 mil worth or $120 mil worth... cant remember what they owe to what they spent....?
Indoor practice facilities.
Budget? top 10, maybe top 5, nuff said...
Fans in the seats, 84K per game rain, shine, 10 win, 5 wins seasons alike.
"Now factor?" to play in what might be the best division in CFB next season. What will be viewed by some as a good hire, fresh commodity, aggressive youthful abandon.
Dont underestimate the history factor. would put it right on par with mountains as importance to kids, some value it, some dont.
Communication a way to identify with today's kids... under development as we speak. First two hires are encouraging. Ron Brown is exceptional with kids. Marvin Sanders is dynamic in front of people.
Style of play looks like it will be on par with any of the top schools in the conf or country, developing over the next few days. D will be fun fo sho.

diminish those facts as a buff fans perspective if it will help you sleep at night. but consider this: TO helped out Creighton, did he not? did his help lead them to a hoops title? there is nothing remotely close to magic in the man.

Stunner.... Vintage LB..... What was his role there at CU, IYO? (I will fill you in after your next reply) How did he end up at CU? What does his former role at CU have to do with NU and the change underway now? I diminish nothing, sorry you are so easily brought down, one of the few here to take that statement that way, not surprising in the least. it is no secret of the good fans on this board to toss out the hiding guns and the LP bit, it is normal when discussing TO along with the 3rd place vote of 90, I was acknowledging it, his past is not perfect.... read it for yourself.

IMO, TO learned as much as he gave at CU. Education matters, relationships matter with todays kids, counseling athletes is important, he learned about other sports in his own words, an opportunity he was not given at NU. IMO TO rediscovered his passion, polished his craft at CU. Is CU going to win a NC in hoops.... be real, thats an easy bag for you to punch..... Their odds are far better than your cu's though. You know my opinion of TO and his actions with the last regime and AD... he is no saint, ruthless in his own way. BUT I do believe he wants to leave a mark before he goes... and like I said before, the truth lies undoubtedly in the middle some where.

FWIW CU has been to NCAA playoffs in Mens Hoops, Baseball, Soccer, C.Country. Womens Softball, Soccer, C.Country and narrowly missed Vball. 7 out of 14 sports played go to the playoffs (I dont know if there are playoffs for all 14 sports played?) thats just this year's stats.... that is not bad for a school of 6k student enrollment. If CU keeps their current AD in place for the next decade it will be a blessing.

oh Nancy Osborne is a homer?...... thank you queen of understatements.... no **** she is a homer.... and in this case she was spot on.

either you are tired, or cramping or you are just not as good as you use to be. :smile2: love ya.

Last edited:

Tom and his puppet.....

"Bo,you will hire this guy"
"Bo you will run this play"
"Bo,you will get my coffee"
"Bo,you will play this kid"

Little Miss muffet
has found her puppet.:lol:

LittleBoPuppet.jpg

:lmao: i would rather be tired and crampy than brainlogged by too much koolaid, waylon.

NEXT TO NONE facilities? you have got to be kidding me. a NUMBER of programs would refute that. off the top of my head, OREGON smokes yours. no questions asked.

North Carolina's also smokes yours, and they can't recruit worth a poop. so what does that tell ya for your little red hope of "our facilities will lure them in over everyone else?"

ND's certainly rivals yours. they have one of the top rated budgets, and they liberally pour money in to the program. seems to me, they are HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS along with the fuskers.

in conference UT has got the facility thing going on. OU is right up there. even T Boone Pickens and his cash is seeing to it that the pokes have everything they could wish for at their disposal.

indoor facilities? LMAO Waylon, do you think that is a distinction? Buster, it is the NORM these days. clearly, you do not get out much. compound that with you really have no clue about what other programs have to offer. you just blindly cling to the mantra that the skers got it all, and no one else has anything close to what you do. it really is far off base in the reality scale.

the rest of your ramble is an absolute gem of rabid fusker self-jerk that beyond entertainment value, is worth nothing.

IMO the only way he becomes a solid hire is long term. he has a lot of learning to do and I truly believe that Bo is viewing this as an opportunity, already calling TO a mentor. I believe this because A) Bo came to NU with out a contract. In this day and age have you heard of that?... not very often, I assure you. B) Bo does not have an agent, he and TO talked directly, man to man.... very old school to say the least. The more details I am reading about point to a different character in Bo, one that I really underestimated during the process. Granted this is all warm and fuzzy but I now believe he is a good fit for NU's culture and reading a ton between the lines TO is making this a long term process to teach Bo all he will need to know. I dont know if the words "unique" or "unusual" even fit here to say the least.... "unheard of" might fit.

Interesting. Like I said above, I don't think it's a horrible hire and I don't think it's a great hire. The key will be for Pelini to have quality assistants around him.

There is talent on D but very young, LB core is so thin you can read a newspaper through it and they lose all starters (which is not a big loss). Expect a speed D that will use D backs as LB's, names like Mirrillo, Culbert, Thenarse IMO will be moved to LB's and the scheme will be a total revamp (McBride esque in style). D line will be better next year as all return, depth will be an issue. D backs have names like Blue, Asante, Wilson, Washinton.... all unknown at this point, highly touted but untested. It will be very interesting and IF Bo is the coach they say he is and showed his last stint at NU the D could be a pleasant surprise, injuries could be the x factor due to the thin depth. A weak OOC and a easier draw in the B12S helps the situation. The B12N will be the true test (and that sounds so farking good to say as a B8 fan!!) Every team looks to be headed in the right direction (save ksu) and the B12N could be the beast of the nation next year.

Very well could be. I just didn't see many playmakers on that defense in the games I watched this year. I thought your linebackers and safeties were non-existent. It seemed like the LBs were nowhere to be found once runners got past the broke through the defensive line and it looked like your safeties consistently took the wrong angles to try and break up passes. A speed defense with undersized LBs wouldn't necessarily be a bad move with so many Big 12 teams running the spread offense now. I do expect your defense to be better because I do think Pelini will be a huge upgrade over the previous defensive coaching staff, but I still think NU is a middle of the pack defense (at best) next year.

expect better effort on both sides of the ball and IMO thats what the fans will expect out of next year, no titles, and if lucky a bowl.

anyways, it was probably more than you were looking for as an answer but it is my take FWIW (and thats not much).

I think a bowl is a pretty realistic goal. You guys have a lot of home games next year, so getting 6-7 wins should be attainable. I think you guys have some depth issues that will become a factor late in the season (similar to the Buffs this year). Appreciate the take.

Still clinging to the past eh? How many times did my Cane's roll your asses? Uh huh. :smile2:

are you clinging to the past? like the fuskers and the domers, aren't the canes home for the holidays?

Re: I've got a BOner

I like our coach but not that much - no wide stance here in Idaho - that is true passion for your program!!

OK, Corn lurkers...TO is filling Bo's staff with Solich/TO assisstants....

Sanders, C. Pelini, Brown, Cotton. Keeping Watson and Gilmore from the old regime. How was this a change? Frankie got run out on a rail. BC ditto. But the new regime made up of mostly TO/Solich/BC retreads will save the day? IMO this could have disaster written all over it.:wow:

Re: OK, Corn lurkers...TO is filling Bo's staff with Solich/TO assisstants....

They just need to get Crouch back and a random Ruud family member and it's the 2001 team all over again.

Man,are the huskers going back to the option game too? Trying to rekindle the 90's all over again.It would be a shame if it doesn't work out:wink2:

They just need to get Crouch back and a random Ruud family member and it's the 2001 team all over again.

They would offer a job to Crouch, but he would just quit a couple days later.

Re: I've got a BOner

You have a boner for bo?Uh,what is Lil Red going to say when you leave him for bo? That was one scary comment.

barney freeking cotton??? :lol:

well lefty - i will tell ya what: the red hoarde has a spin on this, i am sure.

Sanders, C. Pelini, Brown, Cotton. Keeping Watson and Gilmore from the old regime. How was this a change? Frankie got run out on a rail. BC ditto. But the new regime made up of mostly TO/Solich/BC retreads will save the day? IMO this could have disaster written all over it.:wow:

This is what the Niblets must have meant by being "Back" They have all their old coaches back

Back