What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

This is all great and I would love for Dre to come back but none of this guarentees that his draft stock gets boosted and being part of something special doesn't pay the bills. What happens if CU does have a great run, Dinwiddie takes a massive leap, XJ b/c a monster on the boards, Scott dominates in the post and Dre is a nice role player on that team? All of the sudden in 2 years he is a jr analyst in an accounting dept making 30k a year, but he has that degree and being "part of something special" to fall back on.

i'm with cubuffs85, if he's an early 2nd rounder like the most recent projections show he should go.

You brought up a good point. I actually thought Andre's numbers might go down this year with the addition of Scott and XJ to compete for points and rebounds against. I think there is a chance his numbers could decrease next year with Scott, XJ, Gordon, Thomas, Fletcher, etc. taking more points and rebounds away from him. It's a positive for the team that we will have better players, but Andre's numbers could potentially be hurt, which would no doubt further hurt his draft stock.

This is all great and I would love for Dre to come back but none of this guarentees that his draft stock gets boosted and being part of something special doesn't pay the bills. What happens if CU does have a great run, Dinwiddie takes a massive leap, XJ b/c a monster on the boards, Scott dominates in the post and Dre is a nice role player on that team? All of the sudden in 2 years he is a jr analyst in an accounting dept making 30k a year, but he has that degree and being "part of something special" to fall back on.

i'm with cubuffs85, if he's an early 2nd rounder like the most recent projections show he should go.

as much as l would love to see dre back...and yes it would be one of the 2 things, one of the best CU teams ever.. or a huge disappointment due to our overzealous expectations, only... but i'm w/ JG on this, even if he's a late 2nd round pick, we all know his character and work ethic... he will rise to the occasion and get the job done, heck even if he goes undrafted, my money is he will land on someone's roster... we tend to get slanted by the NBA's marketing machine... but the reality is that over 90% of all players make a great living as a role player

Something Special Definition: Best team in Colorado basketball history.

That special enough for you? On paper that is what they are looking like. With Roberson, they look like a top 15 team. They should challenge Arizona for the Pac 12 title and be a sweet 16 team. This will sky rocket the national awareness of Colorado basketball along with it's best defensive player, Andre Roberson.

That would be special, but is worth sacrificing your NBA-likelihood over? To me, only reason you should do that is if you know you are coming back to championship caliber team. And even then, that's a bit iffy. While this is NOT impossible for CU, it's basically unchartered territory for CU basketball, atleast in the last 50 years or so.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, some of these posts are suggesting something untrue. It's not a choice between leaving for the pros now or not getting to play in the pros. It's a choice between going pro now versus going pro next year -- and evaluating which will be more enjoyable, less risky, and give the greatest financial potential.

Only if Dre is looking at a draft position that delivers a multi-year guaranteed deal does leaving now make sense to me.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, some of these posts are suggesting something untrue. It's not a choice between leaving for the pros now or not getting to play in the pros. It's a choice between going pro now versus going pro next year -- and evaluating which will be more enjoyable, less risky, and give the greatest financial potential.

Only if Dre is looking at a draft position that delivers a multi-year guaranteed deal does leaving now make sense to me.
He'll be going to the pros -- but there's a big difference between playing in fringe markets, overseas versus in big-time NBA cities.

As we've discussed here often, the NBA values potential over productivity, typically frowning over 4 year players (sends the wrong message, but it is what it is).

He could skip his senior year and comeback to school, unless there's something I don't know in terms of his grades or coursework.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the last thing anyone wants to see is the next Richard Roby.

The "Roby Lesson" is that if a player gets a 1st round grade then he should leave. It is not that a guy should leave early to play NBA Summer & D-Leagues to try to make a roster.

The "Roby Lesson" is that if a player gets a 1st round grade then he should leave. It is not that a guy should leave early to play NBA Summer & D-Leagues to try to make a roster.

I've been fairly consistent on this, I said if there's an overwhelming chance he'll get drafted, I think he should go.

If there's not a good chance, he'll get drafted than he shouldn't.

If he's going to play in Europe or fringe cities, I'd rather him do that with his degree in hand.

I've been fairly consistent on this, I said if there's an overwhelming chance he'll get drafted, I think he should go.

If there's not a good chance, he'll get drafted than he shouldn't.

If he's going to play in Europe or fringe cities, I'd rather him do that with his degree in hand.

We're pretty much in agreement. Although I'd say "drafted among the first 45 picks" rather than just "drafted".

There are so many "ifs" when considering staying, the greatest of which is injury, but there is also one definite...he could work his ass off this summer and fall and put some needed weight on.

Rant sports just posted an article stating Dre is declaring.

EDIT: Appears to have been an idiot Lamb fan trolling. Has now updated the headline to make it a question. Removed the link to avoid giving the jackass any more clicks.

Last edited:
According to his twitter profile, the author (Trevor Lowry) was a journalism major at CSU.

Now the headline on that story is changed to "Will Colorado Buffaloes Andre Roberson Skip Senior Year For NBA Draft?" and doesn't say if he'll stay or go.
And Rant Sports basically just uses college kids to churn out copy with little to no news in it (ie, that kid is still a CSU student).
So, I call total BS...and even if Dre goes, Rant Sports is not in the breaking news business.

What a joke of an article! The "writer" changed the title to coverup his mistake.

I hope Andre stays, but I don't see much improvement next year offensively when we will have more talent returning and a bunch of RS frosh and true frosh taking shots away from him. Although our team will be better and get more respect and national attention, I can understand him leaving as well. What else can he improve in a summer if he hasn't already? Can we expect him to suddenly get a consistent jump shot/post moves? Can we expect him to improve his free throw shooting to >70% next year? Can we expect him to put on 10lbs of muscle?

He can improve on those things but not very much in just a few months. That's just not realistic except putting on more muscle.

He's already one of the best rebounders and defenders in the country, and he can focus on his game full-time in the pros. He isn't a wing player dribbling or shooting wise, but he can do so many things well if he can learn how to hit the open three at a 35% clip.

Most NBA players are role players that can do one or two things well, so he might not make a NBA roster, but he can definitely play in the D league/overseas for many years. Nothing wrong with living in Europe and playing professinoally for 5-10 years making good money and having fun.

He needs to stay. He can put on more weight, he can improve his FT shooting. He can be a part of a great team and have a special postseason that propels him to a higher draft stock. With his current grade, waiting a year won't hurt him.

That said, I think he's gone. His waiting until the deadline doesn't scream "weighing his options carefully," it screams "waiting to hear one nugget to justify going pro."

He needs to stay. He can put on more weight, he can improve his FT shooting. He can be a part of a great team and have a special postseason that propels him to a higher draft stock. With his current grade, waiting a year won't hurt him.

That said, I think he's gone. His waiting until the deadline doesn't scream "weighing his options carefully," it screams "waiting to hear one nugget to justify going pro."

If, and it is a big if but doable, he can develop one thing offensively that he can do at an NBA level be it a turnaround jumper from the wing, a short drive and pull up mid-range jumper, a reliable post move, etc. it would make him a much better prospect.

That said if he was going to do that why didn't it happen last year. I haven't seen him improve a lot over the past year, he also hasn't gotten much bigger or stronger which brings that theory into question as well.

He is a great college player. I just don't know how well that translates to the NBA as he stands now.

There is actually a simple solution to this argument about whether he should stay or not. It is Tad Boyle. Tad thinks he needs to stay. Case closed.

There is actually a simple solution to this argument about whether he should stay or not. It is Tad Boyle. Tad thinks he needs to stay. Case closed.

as much as i agree w/ you, i hate to say this, but i'm hearing from extremely reliable sources that he's going to announce tomorrow and it's not what most of us would like to hear... good luck andre!!!

as much as i agree w/ you, i hate to say this, but i'm hearing from extremely reliable sources that he's going to announce tomorrow and it's not what most of us would like to hear... good luck andre!!!

If that's the case, what a time to be a Buffs fan. We are possibly looking at losing the best rebounder in the NCAA to the NBA draft, yet it isn't a devastating blow at all. XJ will step up, as will our redshirt bigs. We handled the loss of Alec pretty well, I anxiously await how we'll do next year...with or without Andre.

For a while I thought maybe he would return, but over the past few weeks have begun to think he's gone, and it's probably the best decision for him. He may not get drafted but I think we'll see him in the NBA at some point.

I give Tad a lot of credit for doing all he could this year to showcase Dre. Not only with his media lobbying to get him more attention, but also with how he tried to run a lot of the offense through Dre (especially early in the year) and then at the end of the year gave him the opportunity to guard both the 5 (after Jelly went down) and the 1 (Illinois game).

Hopefully Dre, if he leaves, is able to parlay that versatility into a guaranteed NBA contract.

Russ Smith on his decision to return to Louisville:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...th-louisville-cardinals-returning-senior-year

All my pros I put down for me leaving were very immature. You have to put the work in to get better, you have to do this, you have to do that. Those are challenges I felt like, along with coach, we both felt I'd be running way from, getting better and maturing as a player....I realized how much I loved playing with my teammates and how much fun it is to win Obviously, I wasn't a clear cut first-round pick, so coming back was mainly because of coach, my teammates, the Louisville campus, the community, graduating.With the group we got coming back, I want to go out as a winner as well as get my degree.

Back