What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

Point?

Question for you: Is Burks as good at 21, with as much potential, as Chauncey was at 21?

Again a poor example, the talent gulf between Chauncey and Alec is wider than it is between Alec and Dre. Just because they went to the same school and came out as soph's shouldn't make them game for comparison. Chauncey is a finals MVP and likely hall of famer. You can make a lot of money and play for a long time in the NBA not being half as good as Chauncey been over his career.

id disagree i think thats a really unfair comparison at this point. Chauncey didnt do anything for the first couple of years he was in the league. and i think alec has more upside than chauncey did leaving college lets see what happens in 10 years

id disagree i think thats a really unfair comparison at this point. Chauncey didnt do anything for the first couple of years he was in the league. and i think alec has more upside than chauncey did leaving college lets see what happens in 10 years

Chauncey was a top-5 pick, IIRC. Burks was not. NBA scouts disagree with you. Chauncey was also thrown into a very ****** situation in Boston his first couple years.

Regardless, Burks clearly made the right decision, even if his NBA lifespan is short (it won't be, and he isn't the 11th or 12th man off the bench if he is averaging 7 a game). If Dre wants to go to the league, I wish him the very best. I understand the draft next year is deeper and I don't see Dre improving that much between now and then. He is probably a second rounder either way. If I were him, I'd stay. Ain't nothing like a senior year at CU.

One of the things that slowed Chauncey in the NBA is that he was one of the first of the new breed of combo point guards. Coaches and GMs at the time wanted him to be a classic distributor instead of playing his game (which is now the norm for PGs). Chauncey also had a little growing up to do.

We need to stop comparing Dre and Burks, there are only minimal at best similarities.

Burks was drafted in the top 3rd of the first round his ability to earn any more money based on the slotting the NBA does is almost nil for his rookie contract, in all likelihood he may have actually dropped a couple slots in what was a stronger draft the ensuing year. From a pure financial sense Burks made the right move, guaranteed money in hand today is worth far more than the potential to earn a hair more next time through. Learning and production really has nothing to do with your first couple of years on an NBA guaranteed contract.

Now Dre on the other hand is a very different example, he's almost assuredly looking at non-guaranteed money this year, there is a slim chance he could flip a switch and move into guaranteed money land next year. It is however more likely that he's a UDFA or late second rounder either year, so then the question becomes whether or not to mature in college, the d-league, or Europe. Not sit on the end of a bench like Burks banking millions.
So, your premise is that 'Dre has peeked and will not improve his lot if he stays one more year? If your premise is accepted, his best bet, then, would be to come back.

At any rate, I think these discussions are selfish on CU fans side. I think our opinions are driven by a bit of selfishness. He is driven by life. As Tad says, it is "risk/reward." We all probably have a different "scoring criteria" on "risk/reward." Now I'm reverting to my old/stayed "Choosing by Advantages" thing.

Last edited:
So, your premise is that 'Dre has peeked and will not improve his lot if he stays one more year? If your premise is accepted, his best bet, then, would be to come back.

At any rate, I think these discussions are selfish on CU fans side. I think our opinions are driven by a bit of selfishness. He is driven by life. As Tad says, it is "risk/reward." We all probably have a different "scoring criteria" on "risk/reward." Now I'm reverting to my old/stayed "Choosing by Advantages" thing.

I think he will improve his game marginally, but not enough to improve his lot in the draft. As Nik said i think he's 2-4 years away from really contributing in the NBA, why not spend one of those years at CU gobbling up the record books and getting some press?

Corey Brewer is coming into his own during his fifth season, with his fourth team. Lots of guys aren't ready physically or mentally at 21 for the NBA. And Corey played on two national championship teams.

Someone who understands technology better then me should tweet to Dre the various articles advising him to come back to school. Some make very compelling arguments.

Someone who understands technology better then me should tweet to Dre the various articles advising him to come back to school. Some make very compelling arguments.

Competing against that are people telling him what he wants to hear about making his dreams come true. This could go either way.

Re: Andre

I wasn't necessarily excited when I saw last night that he retweeted a Trey Burke tweet about people questioning your potential or something along those lines.

I wasn't necessarily excited when I saw last night that he retweeted a Trey Burke tweet about people questioning your potential or something along those lines.
Like Buffnik said, it sounds like he's listening to what he wants to hear. That's evident from Boyle's comments as well.

Hardaway declaring also pushes Andre down a spot, so it doesn't help Roberson's draft stock.

It he is being told one team wants him that is all it takes

"Wants him" for what? A promise of a serious look? That's hardly a guaranteed contract!

In looking for the BoSox score last night, I came across the Houston-Lakers game and out of curiousity watched about 5 min. Dre is outwieghed by guards like Jeremy Lin and the "smaller" forwards on each team all looked to be in the 215-230 lb. range and all were very athletic for that size.

No disrespect, but Dre has quite a way to go for someone with no bulk and whose game relies ONLY on hops. In the Assoc. everyone, except the AC's, has hops and most have bulk to boot!

"Wants him" for what? A promise of a serious look? That's hardly a guaranteed contract!

In looking for the BoSox score last night, I came across the Houston-Lakers game and out of curiousity watched about 5 min. Dre is outwieghed by guards like Jeremy Lin and the "smaller" forwards on each team all looked to be in the 215-230 lb. range and all were very athletic for that size.

No disrespect, but Dre has quite a way to go for someone with no bulk and whose game relies ONLY on hops. In the Assoc. everyone, except the AC's, has hops and most have bulk to boot!

Totally agree. I think Andre could really use some time at the training table to bulk up with 15-20 pounds of muscle in the off-season. Would definitely help his draft status imo.

I am not saying he should go...I am saying that if the people trying to push him to the NBA are telling him 1 team is all it takes he is hearing what he wants to hear.

He definately in my opinion needs to stay and do some serious offensive work

I'd love to have Dre back.

I also appreciate so much what he's done for CU basketball while representing himself so well on and off the court. So I care about him.

I just want him to make an informed decision and have it be the right decision. My feeling based on the peripheral information I have gotten is that he's better served by a 4th year of college than he is by becoming a professional right now. If that's not the path he chooses, though, you can bet your ass I'll be supporting his decision and cheering like a madman when he gets picked and/or as he's trying to establish himself for the NBA in the summer league before next season.

Not sure how legit this is, but this could be the thing that people have gotten in his ear about and telling him there's someone, somewhere that wants to draft him.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/04/18/boston-celtics-draft-prospects-andre-roberson/

I'd prefer he stays, but if he feels like he should go, then he should do that. I will still follow the guy either way. (and if he goes, total bummer getting sick towards the end of the season and not setting the school rebounding record).

Lin is listed at 200 Dre at 210.

Back