What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anyone expect MacIntyre to be fired?

When it comes to Kroll, I would not put anything past him when it comes to the health and well being of the AD.
I understand that Kroll is an anti-football moron, but why do we think he has the kind of power to get the Head Coach, AD or University Chancellor fired? The kid has been on the job for less than a year and is one of nine Regents.

Really holding myself back from blowing up Kroll the troll's twitter feed...so as a 28 year old, this means I can also be elected a regent? wild

Really holding myself back from blowing up Kroll the troll's twitter feed...so as a 28 year old, this means I can also be elected a regent? wild
I think he will get a pretty big talking to, notice how all of the other regents said they would wait to comment on the matter until they got all the facts?

Unless something sinister turns up, nobody is getting fired over this.

Completely agree. Firing seems unwarranted. Doing something that undermines the university's ability to retain talent, on the other hand, is a risk.

It wouldn't surprise me if the regents see that some pound of flesh is ultimately extracted - like a salary freeze or loss of bonus or use of some such provision in the contract applicable to discipline.

I'd hope that everyone involved with this recognize that there are plenty of other universities out there who may be interested in making our COTY an offer he can't refuse. Ditto for our rainmaker Rick George.

If there must be a scapegoat, maybe the Chancellor could take one for the team.

If they want to have some extra due diligence before handing HCMM a huge new contract fine, but do it behind closed doors. This is political grandstanding at it's worst.

Yep. Kroll was railroaded on the new HCMM contract in the first place. He tried to oppose it before any of this came out. Dude literally would not want to pay the CU football coach more than a tenured professor.

I can't speak for him but I would've already told those idiots, kiss my ****ing ass, I'm gone. Hope Mac doesn't do that. They need to fix the mess they've made though, pure and simple.

Is he really 28? How the hell did a little snot nosed kid get elected to the Regents?

He works at CU, it was the Boulder district, and he had enough support from a certain faction that was enough to carry the primary against a perceived outsider. Then, he ran unopposed because an (R) would have no chance in a Boulder election -- particularly one where the public paid little attention to the actual platforms, campaigns and candidate qualifications.

He works at CU, it was the Boulder district, and he had enough support from a certain faction that was enough to carry the primary against a perceived outsider. Then, he ran unopposed because an (R) would have no chance in a Boulder election -- particularly one where the public paid little attention to the actual platforms, campaigns and candidate qualifications.

Denver. He ran in CD-1. Everything else is also applicable to Denver as Boulder though.

Not sure how Kroll, a newbie on the board, would not be **** down by his peers. The whole group is a ridiculous organization that has outlived its necessity. I canno believe we are allowing this to happen at the highest levels of the Univesity. RG and MM may end up leaving because the environment is so bad. Much more likely than firing anyone

Even if you're not an athletics guy, I don't understand how you can look at the enrollment growth at a place like Alabama and not logically see the correlation and value of a strong athletics program. This strikes me as a guy who is confident he can get away with political grandstanding that folks will oppose because nobody knows who the heck the regent candidates are and that his seat is safe along strict party line voting. Best hope to ditch him likely going to be someone opposing him in a primary.

So I've got a buddy who has been joking about running for regent for a while now. He's got a strong finance administration background, is a Democrat and lives in District 1...might be time for a encouraging chat.

Even if you're not an athletics guy, I don't understand how you can look at the enrollment growth at a place like Alabama and not logically see the correlation and value of a strong athletics program. This strikes me as a guy who is confident he can get away with political grandstanding that folks will oppose because nobody knows who the heck the regent candidates are and that his seat is safe along strict party line voting. Best hope to ditch him likely going to be someone opposing him in a primary.

So I've got a buddy who has been joking about running for regent for a while now. He's got a strong finance administration background, is a Democrat and lives in District 1...might be time for a encouraging chat.

Is he a buffs fan?

What was the promotion? That he called plays? Go back and read the quotes from MacIntyre while everyone in the local media was on the Tumpkin train pimping the guy to be the next DC. There was even a statement from JL supporting JT getting the DC job. MM never called the game an audition, never confirmed that JT was a candidate, kept repeating that there would be a search and it would take as long as it would take.

I think that most of the reason for this story is that media ended up looking like assholes for how much they were behind Tumpkin to be the next DC, not knowing about what was going on behind the scenes while they were interviewing JT and interlacing stories with their own speculation. No one likes looking like an asshole.

Someone please explain to me what MacIntyre did that went against university policy or procedure.

Bingo. This is largely an HR issue in terms of Mac who appears to have followed the rules. After that its a legal mess.
  1. Two people who were consenting adults had issues in their private lives, one was employee of the University.
  2. The victim lived out of town and flew in to see him and allowed these events, out of love, to happen multiple (80) times over a long period.
  3. Timeline:
    1. 11/19-20, Sat Sun; WSU game and after, final DV incident between Tumpkin and Victim. Victim flys back to her home in Michigan, breaks up with Tumpkin. Police apparently were never called or responded. If they did they did not make arrests.
    2. 12/2 Friday: Pac12 Championship Game.
    3. 12/4, Sunday: Colorado receives Alamo Bowl Selection (Link);
    4. 12/8, Thursday: COY Awards (Link) MacIntyre Informed about DV issues by Victim.
    5. 12/9, Friday: First of 15 Bowl Practices (Link)
    6. 12/11, Sunday: Leavitt's departure for Oregon made official (Link);
    7. 12/12, Monday: Tumpkins defense attorney contacts victim about conversation between her and MacIntyre. Lawyer asks if she plans to go to the police and would like a heads up first if she does.
    8. 12/12-15 M-F: Final Exams (Link), Tumpkin replaces JL as Interim DC with George and DiStephanos approval and knowledge of DV issue.
    9. 12/14, Wednesday; victim contacts Broomfield PD to start investigation (SI Link).
    10. 12/20, Tuesday: Restraining Order Issued
    11. 12/24, Saturday: Colorado Team Arrival Alamo Bowl (Link)
    12. 12/25-28, Sun-Wed: Practices and Media Events
    13. 12/29, Thursday: Alamo Bowl Game;
    14. 1/6 Friday: Tumpkin Suspended;
    15. Late Jan: Tumpkin Resigns

If you look at the dates in there a **** load of things happened all at once between 12/8 and 12/20. Now I can see why MMs message about JL was so terse; when it rains, it pours. That was really bad timing. And what the hell was MM & Co supposed to do? Make Chiv the acting DC? They right in the middle of bowl practices.

MacIntyre not saying anything, because this is a legal matter and he likely has the advice of counsel, is ugly PR but the smart thing to do.

Its ugly. But its clear he informed his bosses. Tumpkins poor behavior hurt a lot of people here.

Last edited:
Denver. He's district 1. Not Boulder. Everything else you said is true.

Even if you're not an athletics guy, I don't understand how you can look at the enrollment growth at a place like Alabama ... 1...might be time for a encouraging chat.
does the University have a goal to grow enrollment? serious question that I haven't bothered to research myself. But it occurred to me that since the city and county of Boulder have such aggressive no-growth policies, I'm not sure that allows for the University to grow correspondingly. I feel like @sackman probably knows something about this

does the University have a goal to grow enrollment? serious question that I haven't bothered to research myself. But it occurred to me that since the city and county of Boulder have such aggressive no-growth policies, I'm not sure that allows for the University to grow correspondingly. I feel like @sackman probably knows something about this
No, but the one negative on the academic resume of CU is the acceptance rate which they need to increase applicants to fix since a lot of the kids applying to CU are also applying to a bunch of out of state schools so those there is a low chance they will actually enroll.

Just so I'm clear-was this goober Kroll the one who asked for this? I've seen multiple things saying it was DiStefano who made the decision to delay Mac's extension public.....seems like Kroll just stepped in it by publicly saying something other than "no comment". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back