What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anyone going to the recruiting Luncheon?

I hear the term 'luncheon' and think of little old ladies at a church function.

Havn't been to one since the GB days. Attendance or lack thereof could speak volumes.

blueshirter

:lol:

Yeah, maybe. But usually the kind of folks who go to these things are not the types who get up and yell in a public forum. It would be very interesting to see if anybody creates a stir at the luncheon, though.

Valdez: :yell: "Hey Danny, you suck so bad I quit my job at Allbuffs!"

Valdez: :yell: "Hey Danny, you suck so bad I quit my job at Allbuffs!"

:lol:

Recruiting definitely hasn't been very fun to follow recently, but I'd love to do it again for Allbuffs. I follow recruiting closely and it isn't much of a problem to link you guys to all the info that's out there on the net. The only problem I had is when you don't have any support from certain Admins on the board. When they're threatening to delete threads that I've spent a lot of time working on, that's when it's probably time to quit. No? :lol:

I have been to the last ten but refuse to go this year. I could care less what Hawkins has to say - just hope he shuts up and starts winning. My non-attendance is a direct correlation to my dissatisfaction with the coach and doesn't hurt the kids...and just makes me feel better.

I will still go to scrimmages and the games next fall, though.

I have been to the last 8 luncheons, but I reached my redline level of Hawk BS for this lifetime! I will resume attending the luncheon when the new head coach is heading up the festivities next year!!

Sgt sounds like a lot of people agree with you because I have heard they are starting to call and ask why people have not signed up to go this year.

Sgt sounds like a lot of people agree with you because I have heard they are starting to call and ask why people have not signed up to go this year.

Is it the Athletic Dept thats calling to ask why people are not signed up to go? If true, the local TV stations could get wind of this and that kind of coverage would make Dan & Mike dumber than they look. The domino effect continues.

Is it the Athletic Dept thats calling to ask why people are not signed up to go? If true, the local TV stations could get wind of this and that kind of coverage would make Dan & Mike dumber than they look. The domino effect continues.
Possible?

That's great news - means they know changes need to be made. $ talks, once they start seeing that happen, Juicey is a gone pecan. It's a good way to protest without affecting the recruits or team. A half filled room will definitely get their attention.

Last edited:

Yep. I got a personal call from someone in the AD late in the day on Wednesday asking me to please attend the recruiting luncheon and support the program. That is the first personal call I've ever received from the AD. I got the impression that attendance will be very low.

It's also not at the Mariott this year. It's at the Sheraton which is smaller for functions like that.

We'll see the actual attendance numbers after the event. If they're tragically low, then I'll feel sorry for Mr. Bohn.

If he made every attempt to fire Coach Hawkins and was overriden it seems unfair that he's the one that has to live with the consequences. I mean that's life and all, and we all understand that life isn't fair.

But imagine you go to your boss, and your boss's boss and say, "hey, I like this guy--it's not personal--but I've got to fire him for the good of the program. Football is the economic driver for this entire 15 sport department, and it's essential that we have the dollars to keep moving ahead. And also, since we're financially independent, I'm sure you'll permit me the latitude to make this decision. But at the end of the day we need to keep the program relevant or this entire department may fail."

Now imagine the answer is, "Nah, I've got other concerns and the department that you've been hired to manage is a bit of an inconvenience at the moment for other priorities. As your boss's boss, I need you to take one for the team (so to speak) here. I'm gonna give you a ****ty situation, and I need you to manage it."

I mean really, how much does that suck for a guy trying to do the right thing for his department?

Not many jobs pay that kind of dough with travel benefits to places like Maui, and access to the innerworkings of one of the oldest and most revered institutions in the state and the moneyed boosters of the storied institution. Mike Bohn has few choices but to take the bad with the good.

For as bad as Mike might feel about what has gone down, it's his lot to be the steward of the CUAD. His responsibility is to provide a stage for for the student-athletes to succeed. For as bad Mike might feel, balance that against the concerns held by the athletes' families, the former athletes, the alumni and boosters, and the multitude of fans.

Not many jobs pay that kind of dough with travel benefits to places like Maui, and access to the innerworkings of one of the oldest and most revered institutions in the state and the moneyed boosters of the storied institution. Mike Bohn has few choices but to take the bad with the good.

For as bad as Mike might feel about what has gone down, it's his lot to be the steward of the CUAD. His responsibility is to provide a stage for for the student-athletes to succeed. For as bad Mike might feel, balance that against the concerns held by the athletes' families, the former athletes, the alumni and boosters, and the multitude of fans.

That's kind of my point. It must suck to suffer the consequences of somebody else's decision (which is contrary to your own) and then face the ire of those folks most connected to the program. You take all of the blame for decisions for which you don't have the authority (in this case, it would appear anyway) to make; and you still have to compellingly represent the company line. I don't think the pay, travel and contacts are worth that particular version of hell.

That's kind of my point. It must suck to suffer the consequences of somebody else's decision (which is contrary to your own) and then face the ire of those folks most connected to the program. You take all of the blame for decisions for which you don't have the authority (in this case, it would appear anyway) to make; and you still have to compellingly represent the company line. I don't think the pay, travel and contacts are worth that particular version of hell.

After Bohn hired Hawkins, theres no way Mike could have known what s**tstorm was about to unfold down the road with what Dan has or hasn't done to the program. Regardless, Mike needs to grow a pair if he gets shoved into a corner. Yeah, you do have to take the good with the bad, but you can't lose your dignity in the process.

After Bohn hired Hawkins, theres no way Mike could have known what s**tstorm was about to unfold down the road with what Dan has or hasn't done to the program. Regardless, Mike needs to grow a pair if he gets shoved into a corner. Yeah, you do have to take the good with the bad, but you can't lose your dignity in the process.

I agree with pretty much everything except for your last phrase. I'd argue you that it's never too late to lose your dignity; I try to live by that rule.

Yea, Bohn is in a tough situation and I believe his contract is up in May. I still think he is a goner. The next AD will get to bring in his own coaches imho.

Will be interesting to see. Not hearing much about an extension and maybe if he was trumped by Bensen, he leaves on his own.

That's my job in a nutshell. Seriously. And I don't get paid half of what Bohn does. I suspect just about any job that entails dealing with the public is pretty much the same. You tow the company line, even if you vehemently disagree with it.

Will be interesting to see. Not hearing much about an extension and maybe if he was trumped by Bensen, he leaves on his own.

My thinking is that since he was trumped by Benson and towed the company line, that Benson will ensure that he's taken care of. Politics runs on quid pro quo.

I guess we'll see at the end of the spring.

You have successfully described the airline baggage agents, call center personnel, campaign staffers, hospital collections agents and dozens of other jobs. Chances are a number of people would switch jobs with Mr. Bohn in a heartbeat.

Actually, it was partly Bohn's own doing. He gave Hawkins an extension when Hawkins was not going anywhere. Bohn was told he decided to give Hawkins an extension so he can now live with that decision.

Back