What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

Another GA moves on to a new position. Always a positive when your program can develop young coaches that move up the ladder.

Some of the questions I ask when hiring buffs-
Are they the most qualified?
Will their performance be fairly evaluated?
Will hiring or, worse, firing, decisions be made with politics in mind?
Are we gatekeeping our coaches and thus limiting our potential pool?
What are their career aspirations?

A staff with one or two former buffs makes those questions largely irrelevant. When an entire side of the ball is coached by them though, an alarm is going off for me. I was excited about TC, but give me anyone without a CU connection for those last two offensive spots now.

So far it sounds like KD has hired 2 assistants from outside.
A son of a former head coach
A grandson of a former head coach
It should shock no one that Dorrell is making the best of what's available in late February by going after coaches he has connections with or are recommended to him by friends like Bieniemy and Embree, and are very available and willing to listen to a school like CU. That's a pretty limited pool and if you don't like that that overlap exists, blame RG/LC. If you don't realize it now, they clearly think ties to CU are important.

FIFY.

I know that middle one is a sore point for you - I understand. But you can't pretend like it didn't happen.

You pin one bad era out of four and proclaim it to be the downfall of 20 years and therefore athe reason to not hire anyone that ever had a connection to CU.

There is no logic in your thoughts. There is some pattern recognition but you are not also recognizing that 2011 and 2020 are set up different, very different.

It should shock no one that Dorrell is making the best of what's available in late February by going after coaches he has connections with or are recommended to him by friends like Bieniemy and Embree, and are very available and willing to listen to a school like CU. That's a pretty limited pool and if you don't like that that overlap exists, blame RG/LC. If you don't realize it now, they clearly think ties to CU are important.
This lack of pool due to timing theory is unsupported. Assistants are very willing to listen to offers of career advancement at this time. Why wouldn't they be?

If there's any truth to the Ronnie Bradford whispers, he'd make sense as STC. He did ST with the Broncos.
Would make sense that the person responsible for the biggest special teams play in CU history would have a grasp on special teams play.

At least I hope so.

This lack of pool due to timing theory is unsupported. Assistants are very willing to listen to offers of career advancement at this time. Why wouldn't they be?
When have we hired a coach that didn't fall under those limitations I listed? Very available (often meaning unemployed and those are quite often our best hires) being the key factor and there's not a whole lot available right now (i.e. timing). The coaching carousel came and went, assistants were let go and hired elsewhere, the pool is objectively significantly smaller in terms of guys looking for jobs. Of course the timing makes it massively more limiting, stealing guys away from other jobs has rarely been our thing and it's certainly more difficult now even if not impossible, we capitalize best on the chaos of the carousel to land guys like Kapilovic/Leavitt and now there is none. You really think MSU and CU's coaching searches don't go differently during a normal timeline? And some guys do have respect for things outside of the mighty dollar, we're not out here offering much 'career advancement' otherwise as far as I've seen and jumping ship in March is a lot different from December.

Last edited:
Back