What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

We're in a very good place. I had questions about hiring KD, serious ones like a lot of black and gold fans, but am feeling a lot better with his moves. Things will be announced shortly. You'll be happy. He's going to have a full team of assistants, ones that we like, before the start of spring practice. It's time for us to all get on board this train. The potential upside of where we're heading is a lot higher than with Tucker. A re-commitment to heavy recruiting in SoCal, Houston/.Dallas, and the Bayou will bring us farther than reaching for fourth-tier deep-south kids.

We're assembling a staff that aren't just using CU as a pass-through program, but as a career destination. The bottom line is a strong love for CU combined with competence and hard work. We're going to be there.

I'm not familiar with too many programs that have used this model successfully in the past. PSU under Paterno and the current Clemson staff come to mind.
I want our assistants to be hired away...it means we are good! People weren't beating down the doors of many of our ACs during Hawk, Embree and Mac (with a few notable exceptions). Plus...I don't want KD to use loyalty to this program as a reason for keeping a poor performer on staff.

So with all this scoop info by Adam, does this mean we're headed to the new L.A. Bowl??? Pac-12s 5th selection vs. MWC Conf. Champ?

I want our assistants to be hired away...it means we are good! People weren't beating down the doors of many of our ACs during Hawk, Embree and Mac (with a few notable exceptions). Plus...I don't want KD to use loyalty to this program as a reason for keeping a poor performer on staff.

Surely a coach would never do this.

We're in a very good place. I had questions about hiring KD, serious ones like a lot of black and gold fans, but am feeling a lot better with his moves. Things will be announced shortly. You'll be happy. He's going to have a full team of assistants, ones that we like, before the start of spring practice. It's time for us to all get on board this train. The potential upside of where we're heading is a lot higher than with Tucker. A re-commitment to heavy recruiting in SoCal, Houston/.Dallas, and the Bayou will bring us farther than reaching for fourth-tier deep-south kids.

We're assembling a staff that aren't just using CU as a pass-through program, but as a career destination. The bottom line is a strong love for CU combined with competence and hard work. We're going to be there.
Does that mean they are good coaches and the best ones we could find based off this criteria?

Does that mean they are good coaches and the best ones we could find based off this criteria?
This isn't a holding action. RG knows that it's now or never for his stint at CU to be successful or a failure. There are a number of things necessary for a winning program. Obviously talent (e.g., recruiting) is high up. In addition to having coaches who are great teachers and motivators, there's another thing that's needed. A coaching staff that is working totally in sync, all pulling in the same direction, with a sense of purpose and a compelling combination of joy and intensity. It comes down to whether there is leadership and if the personalities mesh, which is especially important if you have a struggling program that needs to achieve at a higher level.

Competence? Sign me up for that!

This isn't a holding action. RG knows that it's now or never for his stint at CU to be successful or a failure. There are a number of things necessary for a winning program. Obviously talent (e.g., recruiting) is high up. In addition to having coaches who are great teachers and motivators, there's another thing that's needed. A coaching staff that is working totally in sync, all pulling in the same direction, with a sense of purpose and a compelling combination of joy and intensity. It comes down to whether there is leadership and if the personalities mesh, which is especially important if you have a struggling program that needs to achieve at a higher level.
I don't think anyone would disagree with any of that. I just can't understand the thought of finding coaches who won't move on to other positions, or be promoted somewhere else. Regardless of what we think, if that is an important criteria, you will be limiting your pool of coaches significantly.

I don't think anyone would disagree with any of that. I just can't understand the thought of finding coaches who won't move on to other positions, or be promoted somewhere else. Regardless of what we think, if that is an important criteria, you will be limiting your pool of coaches significantly.
I'm not saying that they're committed to stay for life at CU. Just saying that their mind is totally on the job at hand and isn't obsessed on building their career for the next step.

Signed,
Dorrell's PR Rep

simply not true...from hawk and embo's staffs ..grimes, bedell, brown, kiesau, riddle, ambrose, bobby kennedy, steve marshall [ nfl], jeff smart and myron blacken all were hired away from CU - i am certain i am missing a few...point is hawk and embo weren't hc material, but their assistants were pretty damn good

simply not true...from hawk and embo's staffs ..grimes, bedell, brown, kiesau, riddle, ambrose, bobby kennedy, steve marshall [ nfl], jeff smart and myron blacken all were hired away from CU - i am certain i am missing a few...point is hawk and embo weren't hc material, but their assistants were pretty damn good

I'm highly skeptical when I start reading the opinion that Riddle, Ambrose, Blacken, Kiesau, etc. "were pretty damn good".

Helfrich, Baer

Back