What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bad News - Winfree to miss season with torn ACL

Was Winfree our only real threat beyond Shay? It sure seems like that could be the case. I would assume defenses will be all over Shay. Someone has got to step up. :(
I would say that julmisse is a threat as well, just need some progression from a guys like Ento and Huntley. Mac gets separation in and out of breaks he just isn't used very well in this offense like Donovan lee wasn't utilized before he switched to running back.

Was Winfree our only real threat beyond Shay? It sure seems like that could be the case. I would assume defenses will be all over Shay. Someone has got to step up. :(

Lots of chatter about depth, but yes it was a two man show at WR with Winfree. There is more depth, but at the second level.

Yeah, semi-agree with some of your analysis, but the WR group as a whole, has been severely under-coached by a highly over-rated asst. for the last couple of seasons. And that was compounded by the "weird science" at S&C, which was also rectified for WRs (and the team as a whole).
Chev was brought in as much for that, as for his OC/recruiting chops. I expect a large upgrade at WR just from the improved coaching.

That seems like the optimistic viewpoint. I agree with @Buffnik's above statement that Chev will be able to reach some of these guys better than Walters. But your statement seems like the annual August optimism that the new S&C coach and whatever changes we can think of are going to be the magic cure.

Bottom line, we brought in 4 guys in this last class to IMMEDIATELY raise the bar and we are down to the 3 least experienced of those now. That's a blow.

This offense was broken in 3 key ways last year (Pass Blocking, QB consistency, and WR threats). We need them all to raise up.

That seems like the optimistic viewpoint. I agree with @Buffnik's above statement that Chev will be able to reach some of these guys better than Walters. But your statement seems like the annual August optimism that the new S&C coach and whatever changes we can think of are going to be the magic cure.

Bottom line, we brought in 4 guys in this last class to IMMEDIATELY raise the bar and we are down to the 3 least experienced of those now. That's a blow.

This offense was broken in 3 key ways last year (Pass Blocking, QB consistency, and WR threats). We need them all to raise up.

A football team is like an old helicopter. Everywhere you work to fix this section another area breaks. Thirty thousand moving parts and you need everyone of them. And this one definitely does not fly itself

Lots of chatter about depth, but yes it was a two man show at WR with Winfree. There is more depth, but at the second level.

I'm not sure a DC is going into this season game-planning that he has to provide dual coverage or even shade a safety from over the top to any WR we will put on the field. At this point, I'm hoping we have 6 guys who can go quick, get open, catch the ball, make an occasional defender miss a tackle. I'd be excited to see consistent competency 6-deep.

Back