What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez (9-14 edition)

Credit to 2Buff2Strong over on 247 for putting the gifs together.

This one possibly cost the Buffs 4 points... KD is open immediately on the crossing route, as is the other receiver crossing the other way. Fades back for no reason and throws an awful pass off his back foot, per usual.
giphy.gif

Clean pocket, Viska on the double move in the slot is an 80 yard TD. Instead... throws into double coverage and gets it picked off
giphy.gif

Check the top of the screen... This is a blown coverage by AFA and a likely 70 yard TD if he hits Brady Russell who is immediately open in the flat
giphy.gif

Here's "Good Montez" late in the 4th quarter where he actually steps up in the pocket and delivers a good ball to Viska.
giphy.gif

**** me. I was iffy on the question whether to bench Montez. A few more misses like that and I think you almost have to.

Can Viska throw the ball? If MT won't sub someone for Montez, let's go with the wildcat 50% of the time. But, they can't all be keepers off the right side. Teach him a little option, try a few short passes. At this point, I don't see SM leading us to more than 2 additional wins, so what's there to lose?

That is purple haze... Viska is too valuable to be a slash. The other teams would get enough film and find a way to shut that down. Viska needs to be all over the field to create the match-up nightmares which open up both running and passing plays. SM can and will lead the Buffs to more than 2 wins, it is really a question if he can lead them to 4 more wins.

Throughout SM's career he has given the Buffs the opportunity to win more games, than he has arguably lost. That includes the AFA game. But for the missed XP, this thread might not even exist. SM is even better the Sefo, although Sefo was a warrior and SM has more weapons. Last year, SM really only had 2 stinker games-- Cal (great defense and HCMM was pretty much gone) and WSU (that game was just a nightmare from the coin toss); maybe you throw in the bad interception against UW, however the Buffs were dominated up front on both sides of the ball--so I do not see him determining the outcome of that game. Depending on this weekend, I can see the Buffs winning up to five games. The biggest factor in that is whether the defense can stay healthy and steadily improve with the new system. If your defense is gashed for 290 yards in a half, the chances of winning drop no matter who the QB is. The Buffs defense has been gashed in each of the 1st three games.

TSchekler--thanks for those video clips. I totally agree, when SM steps up and delivers the ball with some zip better things happen. SM needs to be aggressive, which was the catalyst to the Oregon upset. Step up and make the strong throws, which should be SM's strong suit. Some of this can be scheme and the play design, but not all of it. I think the Buffs need to drop the read option unless Viska is the back and Montez is tasked to really run strong. If SM runs a bunch that brings injuries into play, and can result in the Buffs starting a green QB. If that happens, CU may have to dumb down the playbook for a few games even if Lytle and/or Stenstrom are good.

As I said in previous posts, SM has improved his short touch passes, fades, and longer throws with air underneath the ball; however they need to bring back his initial strengths-- "step up and let it fly." Also, this stretches the field. Overall, I think SM's accuracy has improved. In playing aggressive, if SM throws a tipped pick or over thrown pick 30 yards+ down the field, that is a better trade-off than having a shorter ball for a pick 6, short completions that are way short of 1st down yardage, or interceptions on intermediate throws where a run-back is a problem.

In looking at those video clips:

(1) The missed KD play--it looks like SM moved into the pressure rather than away from it. That is on him, as there were targets on both sides of the field. He could have stepped up and passed to any WR or extended the play and perhaps lofted a better ball. AFA was in man coverage, so likely if the play was extended the WR would be more open. I would not say the throw was swag, as the WR was open, but AFA defender made a good play on that one. That is a 50%/50% that the AFA batted that pass. The defender was beat and had to be perfect to tip that ball. I does look like SM read the correct pre-snap coverage.

(2) On the Brady Russell play, I think the play was designed to go to the other side of the field, and the pocket was to move him right. If BR was covered and SM moved that way, it is either a sack, int, ball thrown away out of bounds, or perhaps a scramble for positive yards. He is not going to scramble left and throw back across the field. That is college QB 101, however Brett Favre made a living off of it. The other thing is during the OT, Russell provided the same outlet on 2nd or 3rd down, but he was only 2 yards down field. I was lost on that play, as he should have been at least 5 yards down field, if not near the sticks. Certainly, BR did not have his best game.

(3) Missing Viska was an error, however I am confident in the pre-game prep and pre-snap read, AFA's deep safety should be on Viska 90+% of the time. I have to give AFA props on that play, although the throw was not great. If SM stepped up and delivered a dart, the interception probably does not occur--it is either a complete or incomplete pass. I don't think SM got duped by totally ignoring the safety or the safety undercutting the route. Perhaps SM could have done a better job looking him off to Viska's side and stepping up to deliver a dart.

(4) The good play in the 4th was one of many good if not great plays. SM did seem to step up. He was on his toes, decisive, planted and threw hard. The passes to Harris were darts, although one was into triple coverage. The Tony Brown pass was a difficult throw and he put it on the dime. In some ways, I am starting to have flashbacks of Elway during the Dan Reeves years. Very vanilla for 3Q's and away from Elway's strengths until the 4th quarter, when he won so many close games.

I do think SM is caught in a dilemma. Play ball control and establish the run if that is how the staff desires to play. The Buffs have been good a flipping the field (i.e. mostly getting a few 1st downs before they punt) and they have an excellent punter; although the defense has only played good 2nd half football. On SM's shots down the field during ball control, they are mostly bombs which are tough throws and mpstly long incomplete passes which slows the offenses tempo, if they want to use an up tempo running game. The other end of the spectrum is playing very aggressive, extending the field and taking more chances. This should lead to more interceptions, which may or may not be a bad thing.

Seems like being anxious, eats him up. He forces things, and doesn't bother to see what's there. It's definitely a mental thing with him, meaning, the game obviously hasn't gotten slower. He doesn't know how to deal with it. Wish he could, he has ability.

Last edited:

This one possibly cost the Buffs 4 points... KD is open immediately on the crossing route, as is the other receiver crossing the other way. Fades back for no reason and throws an awful pass off his back foot, per usual.
giphy.gif

Clean pocket, Viska on the double move in the slot is an 80 yard TD. Instead... throws into double coverage and gets it picked off
giphy.gif

Check the top of the screen... This is a blown coverage by AFA and a likely 70 yard TD if he hits Brady Russell who is immediately open in the flat
giphy.gif

Here's "Good Montez" late in the 4th quarter where he actually steps up in the pocket and delivers a good ball to Viska.
giphy.gif

I forgot about that guy doing this, definitely a great part of 247.

That first one is so bad, even if he didn't take Nixon right away over the middle, if he doesn't inexplicably slide back and INTO pressure, he could make a better pass and the AFA defender getting greedy and taking out the under, he just needs to make one guy miss and it's a TD.

This is one of the more bizarre parts of football. You look at a guy like Montez and think he's a good athlete, and for a QB he is. But then you wonder how Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Dan Marino, etc all played top tier NFL football without the ability to outrun Rich Eisen. Moving around in the pocket is a skill, reading it, feeling it. Montez is terrible at it, that first gif being the example someone should put in a dictionary of how to not QB.

That 2nd gif is frustrating too not just because of Viska, but that guy in the flat to the wide side. Make one guy miss and he's going for awhile. And in that situation, 2nd and 15, a large chunk of easy yardage sure would've been nice there.

That first one is so bad, even if he didn't take Nixon right away over the middle, if he doesn't inexplicably slide back and INTO pressure, he could make a better pass and the AFA defender getting greedy and taking out the under, he just needs to make one guy miss and it's a TD.

This is one of the more bizarre parts of football. You look at a guy like Montez and think he's a good athlete, and for a QB he is. But then you wonder how Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Dan Marino, etc all played top tier NFL football without the ability to outrun Rich Eisen. Moving around in the pocket is a skill, reading it, feeling it. Montez is terrible at it, that first gif being the example someone should put in a dictionary of how to not QB.

That 2nd gif is frustrating too not just because of Viska, but that guy in the flat to the wide side. Make one guy miss and he's going for awhile. And in that situation, 2nd and 15, a large chunk of easy yardage sure would've been nice there.
Yep, Montez constantly "sees ghosts" and just has no pocket instincts. I think those 4-5 plays really show just how thin the margin is between winning and losing most games. I know guys are going to make mistakes and they aren't going to make every play or see every open receiver, but it just happens far too often with Montez.

That is purple haze... Viska is too valuable to be a slash. The other teams would get enough film and find a way to shut that down. Viska needs to be all over the field to create the match-up nightmares which open up both running and passing plays. SM can and will lead the Buffs to more than 2 wins, it is really a question if he can lead them to 4 more wins.

Throughout SM's career he has given the Buffs the opportunity to win more games, than he has arguably lost. That includes the AFA game. But for the missed XP, this thread might not even exist. SM is even better the Sefo, although Sefo was a warrior and SM has more weapons. Last year, SM really only had 2 stinker games-- Cal (great defense and HCMM was pretty much gone) and WSU (that game was just a nightmare from the coin toss); maybe you throw in the bad interception against UW, however the Buffs were dominated up front on both sides of the ball--so I do not see him determining the outcome of that game. Depending on this weekend, I can see the Buffs winning up to five games. The biggest factor in that is whether the defense can stay healthy and steadily improve with the new system. If your defense is gashed for 290 yards in a half, the chances of winning drop no matter who the QB is. The Buffs defense has been gashed in each of the 1st three games.

TSchekler--thanks for those video clips. I totally agree, when SM steps up and delivers the ball with some zip better things happen. SM needs to be aggressive, which was the catalyst to the Oregon upset. Step up and make the strong throws, which should be SM's strong suit. Some of this can be scheme and the play design, but not all of it. I think the Buffs need to drop the read option unless Viska is the back and Montez is tasked to really run strong. If SM runs a bunch that brings injuries into play, and can result in the Buffs starting a green QB. If that happens, CU may have to dumb down the playbook for a few games even if Lytle and/or Stenstrom are good.

As I said in previous posts, SM has improved his short touch passes, fades, and longer throws with air underneath the ball; however they need to bring back his initial strengths-- "step up and let it fly." Also, this stretches the field. Overall, I think SM's accuracy has improved. In playing aggressive, if SM throws a tipped pick or over thrown pick 30 yards+ down the field, that is a better trade-off than having a shorter ball for a pick 6, short completions that are way short of 1st down yardage, or interceptions on intermediate throws where a run-back is a problem.

In looking at those video clips:

(1) The missed KD play--it looks like SM moved into the pressure rather than away from it. That is on him, as there were targets on both sides of the field. He could have stepped up and passed to any WR or extended the play and perhaps lofted a better ball. AFA was in man coverage, so likely if the play was extended the WR would be more open. I would not say the throw was swag, as the WR was open, but AFA defender made a good play on that one. That is a 50%/50% that the AFA batted that pass. The defender was beat and had to be perfect to tip that ball. I does look like SM read the correct pre-snap coverage.

(2) On the Brady Russell play, I think the play was designed to go to the other side of the field, and the pocket was to move him right. If BR was covered and SM moved that way, it is either a sack, int, ball thrown away out of bounds, or perhaps a scramble for positive yards. He is not going to scramble left and throw back across the field. That is college QB 101, however Brett Favre made a living off of it. The other thing is during the OT, Russell provided the same outlet on 2nd or 3rd down, but he was only 2 yards down field. I was lost on that play, as he should have been at least 5 yards down field, if not near the sticks. Certainly, BR did not have his best game.

(3) Missing Viska was an error, however I am confident in the pre-game prep and pre-snap read, AFA's deep safety should be on Viska 90+% of the time. I have to give AFA props on that play, although the throw was not great. If SM stepped up and delivered a dart, the interception probably does not occur--it is either a complete or incomplete pass. I don't think SM got duped by totally ignoring the safety or the safety undercutting the route. Perhaps SM could have done a better job looking him off to Viska's side and stepping up to deliver a dart.

(4) The good play in the 4th was one of many good if not great plays. SM did seem to step up. He was on his toes, decisive, planted and threw hard. The passes to Harris were darts, although one was into triple coverage. The Tony Brown pass was a difficult throw and he put it on the dime. In some ways, I am starting to have flashbacks of Elway during the Dan Reeves years. Very vanilla for 3Q's and away from Elway's strengths until the 4th quarter, when he won so many close games.

I do think SM is caught in a dilemma. Play ball control and establish the run if that is how the staff desires to play. The Buffs have been good a flipping the field (i.e. mostly getting a few 1st downs before they punt) and they have an excellent punter; although the defense has only played good 2nd half football. On SM's shots down the field during ball control, they are mostly bombs which are tough throws and mpstly long incomplete passes which slows the offenses tempo, if they want to use an up tempo running game. The other end of the spectrum is playing very aggressive, extending the field and taking more chances. This should lead to more interceptions, which may or may not be a bad thing.
Mine was a wishful thinking post. I think his NFL future would keep him in a less likely to be injured role.

Yep, Montez constantly "sees ghosts" and just has no pocket instincts. I think those 4-5 plays really show just how thin the margin is between winning and losing most games. I know guys are going to make mistakes and they aren't going to make every play or see every open receiver, but it just happens far too often with Montez.
I wish I wasn't being serious about this, but I wonder how many damn times he's got himself sacked because he panics and doesn't look for anyone else, if that first read isn't there? I know he doesn't have a good line in front of him, but he doesn't help it, either. He "sees ghosts", believe I said that very thing, last season. Problem is, it hasn't changed. Yeah, he'll make a tremendous throw, then, he'll panic on another play, run right into pressure. Pocket presence is something he just doesn't have. Coach needs to find a way to get him comfortable, early. How they go about doing that, no idea, maybe some quick stuff to settle him down. The running game couldn't be more important than it is right about now, gotta have it.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
One thing I notice right away is that Montez is incredibly lazy with his drops.

Montez was rewarded for this poor play with being named CAPTAIN again this week!!! I hope he puts everything into being good Montez on Saturday night!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He gives up yardage fairly often like in that first throw.

The Montez scouting report goes something like this...
  1. Blitz him on every pass play
  2. Hit him, if not sack him .. hard a few times
  3. Any pressure, perceived or real, will drive him out of and well behind the pocket where he frequently throws the ball away
Doing these things early in games essentially neutralizes any natural ability he has and forces the Colorado Offense into being behind the sticks a lot.

He gives up yardage fairly often like in that first throw.
Great job...does anyone have a real doubt that Blake Stenstrom makes the right reads and throws...because I don't...no, not a relative, a realist...talent over so-called experience, anyday...Kenny Jonnson '71, Darian Hagan '89-90, proof positive...

This, Jesus Christ, this. I didn't see who it was, but he probably scores, if he gets away from one guy. There is nobody else there. I don't know which is worse, 2 or 3, they're all bad. Dude just panics, and sees nothing. How many points got left on the field, at least, 2 tds. He never even looked flat, at all. Flag isn't there, take the underneath. He had a ton of room, and he never even looked to throw it there. I don't expect the guy to be Montana, Elway, Marino, etc... Some of these reads are elementary, and he still can't figure it out, as a damn senior.

I think my biggest frustration after watching those is that stepping up in the pocket would help him a ton even if he didn't throw the ball. If you step up and still don't see anyone open (yes I know there are people open) then you can run and there usually aren't many people in the middle of the field so there could be a ton of broken plays, he just needs to decide quicker. Also he has to stop scrambling to the short side of the field and every once in a while one of these guys just has to take off deep and he has to let it fly because these safeties are clearly crashing down when they see him bail on the pocket early.

Montez is the reason I've had no feel for this team on a week-to-week basis these 3 years.

Prediction for this week?

He could be the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week and it wouldn't surprise me. He could be worse than last week and get pulled. Most likely, we see a bit of both from drive to drive, play to play.

If he's mostly good, I think our Buffs win this one.

Montez is the reason I've had no feel for this team on a week-to-week basis these 3 years.

Prediction for this week?

He could be the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week and it wouldn't surprise me. He could be worse than last week and get pulled. Most likely, we see a bit of both from drive to drive, play to play.

If he's mostly good, I think our Buffs win this one.
I have faith that "standard Montez" can lead this offense to score enough to win. It's the defense that needs to put together a full game for us to win, IMO. It's inexplicable that they can look so bad in the first half and completely turn it around in the second half.

I have faith that "standard Montez" can lead this offense to score enough to win. It's the defense that needs to put together a full game for us to win, IMO. It's inexplicable that they can look so bad in the first half and completely turn it around in the second half.
It’s not inexplicable. It’s actually kind of simple. There’s a serious lack of talent and experience. Coaches scheme adjust to take a couple things away that the OC had found to exploit.

It’s not inexplicable. It’s actually kind of simple. There’s a serious lack of talent and experience. Coaches scheme adjust to take a couple things away that the OC had found to exploit.
Serious lack of talent against CSU, Nebraska and Air Force? Come on, man.

With 3 game tapes of ASU, I expect a much better starting effort from the defense. It shouldn't take a full half against very, very mediocre teams to get the x's and o's figured out.

I think they need to take the gloves off with Montez. Early in the game, let him do a designed inside QB run.

Nothing flashy, just let him do something where he takes the snap and runs, like a wildcat.

I believe he thrives when his competitive juices get flowing, and letting him hit someone instead of the other way around may relax him a bit.

1000% agree on the pocket instincts and reacting to pressure that isn't there. The o-line play is generally ok but he flails around like its a jail break.

At this point we should accept that this is what he is and Johnson should call way more bootleg/rollout action because he wont stand in the pocket.

Back