What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez (9-14 edition)

QB sneak on 1st and ten.

Got it.

He didn't say on 1st and 10, he just said early in the game. Plenty of QBs say they settle down after their first hit of the game. Worth a shot. It's better than seeing Montez going full turtle for the entire first half.

He didn't say on 1st and 10, he just said early in the game. Plenty of QBs say they settle down after their first hit of the game. Worth a shot. It's better than seeing Montez going full turtle for the entire first half.
it's an old Allbuffs joke -

No, I get the Embree reference. But still, it seems like Montez needs to get punched in the mouth before he gets going.
I believe you're right, I don't get why he needs that given what he is playing for this year. It isn't just wins or a bowl. He wants any chance in the league, or even the CFL, he better ****ing bring it from jump.

The most frustrating part might be that the defense is performing about like most people expected, even with the offense giving them little help. Capitalizing on some of those scoring opportunities would have had some affect on the zoomies’ belief that they could hang, plus it just changes the flow of a game.

Here’s to hoping Montez is confident and focused Saturday, and he figures out how to build on that going forward.

No, I get the Embree reference. But still, it seems like Montez needs to get punched in the mouth before he gets going.
There just doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency from him in the first half of games. He takes lazy drops, walks everywhere, doesn't move around, doesn't show a ton of fire or leadership, etc. It seems like takes an arrogant mentality into the game like, "We are better than you and just have to show up". Then, when things are close in the 3rd and 4th quarters, he flips a switch and he becomes a gamer. He's more sudden with his movements, he gets fired up, he steps up in the pocket and just starts making plays. It's 100% mental with him. Tucker, JJ and Chev need to get him to play with that same sense of urgency for 4 quarters, rather than just the last one.

There just doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency from him in the first half of games. He takes lazy drops, walks everywhere, doesn't move around, doesn't show a ton of fire or leadership, etc. It seems like takes an arrogant mentality into the game like, "We are better than you and just have to show up". Then, when things are close in the 3rd and 4th quarters, he flips a switch and he becomes a gamer. He's more sudden with his movements, he gets fired up, he steps up in the pocket and just starts making plays. It's 100% mental with him. Tucker, JJ and Chev need to get him to play with that same sense of urgency for 4 quarters, rather than just the last one.
Maybe benching would get his attention.

The Montez scouting report goes something like this...
  1. Blitz him on every pass play
  2. Hit him, if not sack him .. hard a few times
  3. Any pressure, perceived or real, will drive him out of and well behind the pocket where he frequently throws the ball away
Doing these things early in games essentially neutralizes any natural ability he has and forces the Colorado Offense into being behind the sticks a lot.
You forgot:
4. If you're rushing upfield, keep going. He will come to you.

You would think Chev and Tucker would light his ass up and stress the importance of having that fire from start to finish. We'll see.
Somebody said somewhere to run Montez early. Get a few bumps. Get competitive juices going. Get heart rate up. Seems to do better when he’s into game. Could be a good idea.

He needs to learn to love the pain and feed off of it like Sefo
We'll never see another QB like Sefo with that stuff. I don't know that I've ever seen another QB who would do something like get his shoulder popped out and react to it by throwing a bomb for a TD the next play before the trainers had to remove him. Then in the run game, our QB option was for power runs between the tackles with a lead blocker instead of to the outside. What QB does that? It was surreal at times with his toughness.

We'll never see another QB like Sefo with that stuff. I don't know that I've ever seen another QB who would do something like get his shoulder popped out and react to it by throwing a bomb for a TD the next play before the trainers had to remove him. Then in the run game, our QB option was for power runs between the tackles with a lead blocker instead of to the outside. What QB does that? It was surreal at times with his toughness.
The thing is, when the team sees their QB putting the wood to a defender, it fires up everyone. Offense, defense, you name it. When they see the QB pissing down his leg at the first hint of pressure, refusing to run, it can deflate everyone.

About sums it up. What a roller coaster

This roller coaster ain't for everyone.
you-must-be-at-least-this-high-to-ride.jpg

About sums it up. What a roller coaster

Yup, I remember when MM benched him in 2017 in the game against WSU. He came back in the next game against Cal all fired up. He went 20-26, 347 YDS, 3 TD.

So, if my math is correct, we should put BS or TL in for 1 series in the 2nd Q and the entire 3rd Q, then put Montez back in and only call deep balls.

Yup, I remember when MM benched him in 2017 in the game against WSU. He came back in the next game against Cal all fired up. He went 20-26, 347 YDS, 3 TD.

Do we have any defenses on par with Cal circa 2017 on the schedule? Please?

Do we have any defenses on par with Cal circa 2017 on the schedule? Please?
Perhaps not. However, even if you take into account your point that they had a poor defense. We scored 44 points on their defense which is more than the amount of points scored against Cal by USC, Washington, and WSU that same year. All of those teams were ranked in the top ten nationally that year. So the bottom-line is, Montez seemed to bring his A-game after being benched.

With regards to those GIFs showing missed receivers, do we know the order of which he is moving through progressions? And when does the pressure get there? The play may be designed to look at the other side of the field.

With regards to those GIFs showing missed receivers, do we know the order of which he is moving through progressions? And when does the pressure get there? The play may be designed to look at the other side of the field.
With the Viska one when he was open from the slot running up the seam and the throw went to the outside receiver the safety flew out to double (leaving Viska wide open), it was obvious that Montez missed the read completely. I didn't play QB, but even I know that if you're looking at cover 2 and you have 2 guys running deep forcing a safety to a decision -- that it's the safety that is read (or even looked off) to determine who to throw the ball to.

Watch. Montez is going to come out and have a great game and lead an upset over the Stripper U. Because that is how this is going. Roller coaster!
The "good" montez doesnt show up nearly frequently enough to make up for bad montez. Its usually one half or 3 quarters of bad montez and then 1 quarter or rarely 1 half of good montez, if he even shows up for the game. I dont think ive ever seen montez play well for more than a full half of football in a game, which is ridiculous for a 5th year senior thats started for 3 full seasons.

Just play our backup and see what we have, instead of hoping that montez will randomly have a good game, which will inevitably be followed by a game like the air force one, where it wouldnt have surprised me if it turned out he was drunk during the game

Um... the face mask vs UCLA, he points it out to the ref and then throws the ball for a first down. If memory serves.

Probably one of the most badass plays I’ve ever seen.

I believe you're right, I don't get why he needs that given what he is playing for this year. It isn't just wins or a bowl. He wants any chance in the league, or even the CFL, he better ****ing bring it from jump.
He’s gonna be holding a clip board for some team.

Back