What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez (9-14 edition)

Here here...McIntyre tried it...Coach Tucker will figure it out, he has recognized the inconsistency...he has said since he took the job that every players job is up for grabs every week...now we find out who gets demoted from 1st team and who gets to start next week...btw, where is Daniel Arias, other than special teams??? We vote to start Blake Stenstrom, or at least get him some snaps in game with the 1s...

I am not sure if Montez will get benched, or that is necessary; but I am sure that we will see many changes in the depth chart, especially on defense. With the 4 game Redshirt rule, I'll be interested to see how many of those guys get a close look. More speed and shedding blockers on the defense is a key.

I am not sure if Montez will get benched, or that is necessary; but I am sure that we will see many changes in the depth chart, especially on defense. With the 4 game Redshirt rule, I'll be interested to see how many of those guys get a close look. More speed and shedding blockers on the defense is a key.
I definitely expect to see Akil Jones as the starting ILB this week. They need more speed and athleticism there to help contain a running QB

Another note on that is that according to Woelk's takeaways JVD was hobbled. He didn't mention that for the OLs that got replaced, but I agree that Akil has earned more snaps no matter what.
Yeah, JVD went to the sideline with an injury early in the game but returned. Where has Allen been the last couple of weeks?

ranked 8th out of the 13 (stanford injury) Qbs in the Pac12. I would have never expected that with our WR group.

Here here...McIntyre tried it...Coach Tucker will figure it out, he has recognized the inconsistency...he has said since he took the job that every players job is up for grabs every week...now we find out who gets demoted from 1st team and who gets to start next week...btw, where is Daniel Arias, other than special teams??? We vote to start Blake Stenstrom, or at least get him some snaps in game with the 1s...
Oh yeah brilliant idea. Let's now start the QB who was aco-starterr in HS and never taken a college-level game snap. Seems reasonable LMAO!

On intellect - first in with Vince Young reference. Anyone know how Montez scores on the Wonderlic, if that’s even still a thing? Montez seems press conference smart. But he has no Jedi mind tricks up his sleeve like Manning nor is he an instinctive dual threat like VY. Nor does he have Sefo’s Buffalo Heart. Seems he has reached a plateau that we all want to see him improve beyond. That plateau is located at the corner of Bowl Eligibility Drive and Dr Jekyll Avenue.

The key question about the Montez hype train is whether he can engineer four more wins on the express route to postseason play, or if this choo choo stops at QB platoon station or even terminates at Yougottaplayforthefuture.

I can’t think of any other QB in the history of NCAAF who is 0-7 with Bowl Eligibility on the line.

Montez’s destiny will come more into focus based whether he can find four quarters worth of mojo against the Arizona schools over the next two weeks.

It could be a long rest of 2019 if the offense sputters against both Arizona schools. And it could be a long 2020 if no one else can get all these talented receivers the ball better than Montez.

The windows are narrowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah brilliant idea. Let's now start the QB who was aco-starterr in HS and never taken a college-level game snap. Seems reasonable LMAO!
Well, we can do it this season - or we can wait until next season.

We KNOW SM isn't the answer. Maybe someone else steps up and is?

How many times have we played a team who subbed a true or redshirt FR in for a jr / sr QB, only to find out the FR was the answer? I can think of 2-3 off the top of my head - pretty sure Reesing's first game was us, Osweiler? Weeden?

How many times have we played a team who subbed a true or redshirt FR in for a jr / sr QB, only to find out the FR was the answer? I can think of 2-3 off the top of my head - pretty sure Reesing's first game was us, Osweiler? Weeden?
Tate was benched. We took a cheap shot out of bounds and hurt zonas qb, which reinserted Tate into the game. He ran for 600 yards in the second half, and has started ever since.

USC is starting a 3* True Freshman right now!!!

Lytle is likely as ready as it gets to try a series, but I do think he will get in a game soon, likely via a dinged up Montez. Sefo was hurt here and there.

Again-we've gotta do everything possible to get to 6 wins and a bowl in 2019. Steven might be the Paxton Lynch of the 2020 NFL draft, but he's the likeliest path to that. Given that, we have to keep playing him and hope he gets us to where we need to be at the end of the day.

I remember seeing Montez rally guys on the sideline 10 days ago to beat ****braska. Accusing him of not being a leader seems rash and naive, unless you're in the locker room and on the sidelines as well.
He also had a great presence in the huddle against Nebraska.

One think worth mentioning, a negative of the Buffs good OOC games, it that they had no garbage time, to give any of the BU QB's any meaningful reps. This was a problem under HCMM throughout his entire tenure. It is tough to drop a kid into the fire. Sometimes you get a spark (aka Tate), but more times than not they tend to falter. Montez did great winning the Oregon game; but any of the others throughout HCMM's term did not do too much.

One think worth mentioning, a negative of the Buffs good OOC games, it that they had no garbage time, to give any of the BU QB's any meaningful reps. This was a problem under HCMM throughout his entire tenure. It is tough to drop a kid into the fire. Sometimes you get a spark (aka Tate), but more times than not they tend to falter. Montez did great winning the Oregon game; but any of the others throughout HCMM's term did not do too much.
There were plenty of opportunities under MM to get back up QBs meaningful reps; they just refused to do it, playing all starters until a few minutes left in blowout games.

It also doesn't need to be garbage time to get back up players game reps. After we went up 10-0 against AFA, we went about 3 full quarters without scoring a point. Pretty sure Lytle could have led us to 0 points during that stretch as well. This notion that the starters must play every snap of the game until it's out of hand is dumb, but too often bought into by coaching staffs.

Back