What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Board of Regents Public Meetings this week...

I think in this case Kroll is trying to use the Regent position to advance his political career into some other place. Don't know if that is to the state house or even if he has his eyes set on DeGette's job but he is trying to make a name for himself.

Sacky is right that in the immediate term the best defense against him is to encourage the other regents to do their job and to negate his voice on the matters where he is trying to make a name for himself.

The direct financial benefit of the athletic program to the university is easy to see but it is worth reminding people to look at it. Less obvious but also worth seeing it the indirect contributions. First and foremost are the contributions made to other parts of the university but influenced by the success of the athletic department. How many major (and minor) donations were closed at alumni events where athletics was the big draw. How many of those donations were closed in one of the luxury suites?

There is also a question of the connection of CU to the various communities within the state. Athletics provides both an opportunity for students from lower income areas, students from minority families, students from families or areas that traditionally have not participated in higher education especially at CU to come to Boulder and succeed. The presence of these students opens doors for others from those same communities.

Our regents need to know that athletics at CU matter and the most highly visible programs matter a lot.

I think in this case Kroll is trying to use the Regent position to advance his political career into some other place. Don't know if that is to the state house or even if he has his eyes set on DeGette's job but he is trying to make a name for himself.

Sacky is right that in the immediate term the best defense against him is to encourage the other regents to do their job and to negate his voice on the matters where he is trying to make a name for himself.

The direct financial benefit of the athletic program to the university is easy to see but it is worth reminding people to look at it. Less obvious but also worth seeing it the indirect contributions. First and foremost are the contributions made to other parts of the university but influenced by the success of the athletic department. How many major (and minor) donations were closed at alumni events where athletics was the big draw. How many of those donations were closed in one of the luxury suites?

There is also a question of the connection of CU to the various communities within the state. Athletics provides both an opportunity for students from lower income areas, students from minority families, students from families or areas that traditionally have not participated in higher education especially at CU to come to Boulder and succeed. The presence of these students opens doors for others from those same communities.

Our regents need to know that athletics at CU matter and the most highly visible programs matter a lot.
That's pretty damn obvious, fire his ass if possible.

That's pretty damn obvious, fire his ass if possible.
How did the bolded reply from BuffLuke not get more play in the last 2 hours?

Hmm, you mean philosophically?

View attachment 22252

Just to throw out a contrary opinion in this boards, yes. I do believe that philosophically that money is poorly distributed in sports, as well is many parts of our society. Bowl commissioners, ADs, coaches, Mark Emmert, etc. all make a lot of money when college players doing the work don't get anything (at least publicly, and we'd like to think for the most part nothing privately either). Their educations in many ways is a farce, and college sports could be better. Pro sports - owners make too much money imo, as well as players. So much more could be done with their money - like paying cheerleaders, paying the interns, better benefits, assisting veterans, etc.

Of course, that probably reeks of my political leanings, that many of you may not agree with. And that's fair, but I would still maintain that regardless of the political aisle you're on, we as a society could have a better college sports system in place that watches out more for the welfare of players and prioritizes higher education.

With all of that said, Kroll seems like a complete douche that is only on the lookout for his political aspirations. It's sad he got elected, or even the nomination - people probably just voted party lines in his district. While I just ranted about money in sports and college athletics, there are a lot of great aspects to sports, and college sports does provide a lot of benefit to some universities if done right. **** Kroll

ok, but I assume the university self-funds some portion of athletic scholarships, especially for the non-revenue sports (correct that assumption if I'm wrong). seems like they're just moving numbers from one column of the balance sheet to another with net zero outcome.

I had trouble with this when I moved here and really started following the CU program.

I was trying to answer something that confused me: "Why, when CU pulls in power conference revenue, is it forced to cut sports to the bare minimum possible while being considered D1? How is this possible when I see plenty of G5 conference teams with much smaller revenue streams hosting more varsity sports?".

Here's the deal.

CU has the Athletic Department operate as a separate financial entity.

With that, it must reimburse the university the full cost of attendance for any scholarship it grants -- calculated at the out-of-state tuition rate even if the athlete is from Colorado.

Further, it must do so while running a balanced AD budget that doesn't rely on university funds.

Further, student fees are kept much lower than at peer institutions.

Further, the CU Foundation which does booster outreach had a policy (which is recently changed by Benson at the behest of Rick George) that didn't provide donor lists from the alumni lists of the various schools to Athletics, didn't allow Athletics to solicit these potential boosters, and if those boosters for the academic side took it upon themselves to try to donate to Athletics their rep would encourage them to give it all or a portion to the Academic side instead.

So, given this backdrop, I hope you understand why it pisses us off so much when media idots or ill-informed locals/students/alums/faculty/Regents get pissed off about the money that was raised and the financing done to make the facilities project happen or get pissed off about multi-year contracts or get pissed off about coach salaries. THEY DON'T PAY FOR ANY OF IT! WE DO! IT'S A SEPARATE AD BUDGET!

Sorry but they need to start firing folks. This is flat bull**** and I'd start with cheesedick. **** does roll downhill though so I guess that's debatable. The system seems dysfunctional at best, wake the **** up already.

thats even sadder.
I tried. Really hard. Came 1500 votes short (out of 50,000+), with only about 25% of the registered voters bothering to vote on this Regent race. It's not funny, but it sort of is: more people bothered to vote for the At-Large Regent candidate, who was unopposed in the primary. So, as a result, now we have this fact-free grandstanding from Kroll, and will have 6 more years of it.

I tried. Really hard. Came 1500 votes short (out of 50,000+), with only about 25% of the registered voters bothering to vote on this Regent race. It's not funny, but it sort of is: more people bothered to vote for the At-Large Regent candidate, who was unopposed in the primary. So, as a result, now we have this fact-free grandstanding from Kroll, and will have 6 more years of it.
Thanks for your efforts. Damn this liar.

Is there a mechanism in place to Recall kroll, @Lucky Vidmar?

OK now I remember. Thanks for trying I wish I could have voted for you.

Damn wish you would've won. Thanks for the info. I know I don't want this peckerwood for six years.

I'm sure there is - but your average voter doesn't care about Kroll as CU regent nearly as much as we do here on Allbuffs.
and while im sure that's true I'm just kicking the tires, what would it take

This crap takes the fun out of being a fan.
Kroll is an ass hat. His girlfriend is now a pariah. Bet she appreciates his support as people who liked her are now nervous to spend time with her for fear of getting caught up in the fire storm.

I'm just hoping they feel the pressure of a rash decision. Look into it but don't do anything stupid. Thought they'd already done that but guess not. Make some guidelines and be done with it.

I'm just hoping they feel the pressure of a rash decision. Look into it but don't do anything stupid. Thought they'd already done that but guess not. Make some guidelines and be done with it.

I think our best case scenario is that Phil chooses to retire at the end of this academic year while Benson is still in place to get a Chancellor in place for CU-Boulder who is friendly to athletics and will support all of the current initiatives while also being willing to meet with recruits and whatnot like Phil is. Dare to dream, but we could get someone who is all of those things and also a strong leader. Bring someone in from outside.

I think our best case scenario is that Phil chooses to retire at the end of this academic year while Benson is still in place to get a Chancellor in place for CU-Boulder who is friendly to athletics and will support all of the current initiatives while also being willing to meet with recruits and whatnot like Phil is. Dare to dream, but we could get someone who is all of those things and also a strong leader. Bring someone in from outside.
Yeah that's probably best case.

This crap takes the fun out of being a fan.
Kroll is an ass hat. His girlfriend is now a pariah. Bet she appreciates his support as people who liked her are now nervous to spend time with her for fear of getting caught up in the fire storm.

Basically sexual abuse and domestic violence is a stain on football. The sooner these issues are addressed, the better.

I'm okay with CU setting high standards. This is a learning experience that provides an opportunity to improve and set an example for the likes of Baylor and other programs.

It's easy to get over emotional about these negative media stories.

But to put things in perspective, the victim has her restraining order, Tumpkin is facing trial, and CU has removed an alleged abuser from campus. It appears the victim is safe after she courageously stepped forward. The media attention is putting a focus on a broader society issue.

If someone wants to forfeit the Alamo Bowl loss as punishment, I'm okay with that.

Is there anything that would suggest DiStefano would retire?

Is there anything that would suggest DiStefano would retire?

He's old enough that he could do so and it would allow him to exit gracefully if the current situation makes his position untenable. I'm only speculating.

He's old enough that he could do so and it would allow him to exit gracefully if the current situation makes his position untenable. I'm only speculating.
Is Benson viewed as a pro AD President? Would you feel comfortable with him making a Chancellor hire?

Back