What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Board of Regents Public Meetings this week...

Is Benson viewed as a pro AD President? Would you feel comfortable with him making a Chancellor hire?

Benson, when he came in, had bigger fish to fry. He was focused on the hospital system and building high value degree programs in the CU system while building up the CU campuses in the population centers of Denver and Colorado Springs. He also was working on the politics to change some state legislation to CU's benefit (such as not having to count international students in the requirement that a certain percentage of students had to be from in-state). Heck, he's in the midst of a $2B project for high tech research and degrees on the Boulder East Campus. Within all that, when he saw the fallout from the failures in football hurting donations and applications he acted (hiring of Rick George). He also saw that hurting his legacy. So he seems to have gotten religion and has realized that athletics, most particularly football, is the front porch of the university that emotionally connects alums & the local community (potential donors) while also driving the number of applications (therefore, the university's academic ranks).

Long story short: I now trust Benson on valuing athletics and I've always felt he was a guy who got things done when he had his eye on the ball.

He's old enough that he could do so and it would allow him to exit gracefully if the current situation makes his position untenable. I'm only speculating.
To be honest, I've thought Phil was "old enough to retire" for more than 5 years. He's got to be pushing 70. That said, I'm starting to suspect he outlasts us all. He'll still be Chancellor at CU after I'm dead and buried.

To be honest, I've thought Phil was "old enough to retire" for more than 5 years. He's got to be pushing 70. That said, I'm starting to suspect he outlasts us all. He'll still be Chancellor at CU after I'm dead and buried.
Are you Dbt's age? What about the ****ing rest of us when you are meeting the devil or Jesus? Lol.

Of course you hire that law firm. They've done a fantastic job. It's not their fault that their client chose a particular course of action.

SMH. I guess if CU starts winning, there has to be some "scandal" immediately on the heels of said winning. If the admin. throws FB under the bus on this, I am pretty sure I am done.
Would be hard to completely turn in my CU fan card, but if this situation forces RG or MM out, I will probably be done as well. Somebody make me feel better about all of this.

Baylor lawyers...perfect.

CU has best season in years and the football gods seeing all the happy buff fans ....

ae4c3b06e04de74b8bf0c472eaf6d79e0314280b5e7aa22c2486af79f1c4d9b2.jpg

almost 40 years of fandom would be hard to quit, but I would be extremely disappointed and embarrassed of CU for the last time also. I truly wish all this crap would go away and am a firm believer in what comes around goes around. It is going to truly suk for some people in the future.

It is easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight. No doubt the matter could have been handled better. If the investigation approaches it from that angle, and gives credit that the right result was reached within seven weeks of the mess being made known, then everything should be fine.

But, in today's PC world, a mistake or error in judgment, often requires somebody's head on a platter, benefit of hindsight or not. As long as it is only Tumpkins head on a platter, fine. CU, unfortunately, has a history of kowtowing to demands of every special interest group where a PC issue, (and honestly, what isn't a PC issue these days?) is concerned.

Not suggesting Tumpkins shouldn't be canned since he is a high profile representative of CU, but do any of you work in a place where you would have been canned if you did what Tumpkins did? I don't.

My only point is that CU is already in the position of going over and above what most employers would do in this situation and there still has to be a "fact finding" mission to blame somebody.

I think the overreaction is reaching its peak.

They did approve Eliot's contract today.

Yeah. I saw that we got $100k in there for if he leaves for another job. Should be standard on all the multi-year contracts for assistants.

Yeah. I saw that we got $100k in there for if he leaves for another job. Should be standard on all the multi-year contracts for assistants.

Would also be nice to have a "no P12" clause in there. Maybe there is.

I think the overreaction is reaching its peak.

They did approve Eliot's contract today.
I am not worried about MM or RG being fired, but I believe fans are worried that this situation could lead Mac to jump ship just as we are turning the corner. You don't agree?

I am not worried about MM or RG being fired, but I believe fans are worried that this situation could lead Mac to jump ship just as we are turning the corner. You don't agree?

Maybe. CU has done plenty for MM, so I do not find the disrespectful angle to be nearly as compelling as others.

For all the bashing in the **** bailer thread I just don't understand the upsetness in this thread.

CU hires an outside independent firm to investigate how things were handled, make sure policies were followed, and possibly make recommendations on how to better address this situation should it happen in the future. I have no problem with that happening.

For all the bashing in the **** bailer thread I just don't understand the upsetness in this thread.

CU hires an outside independent firm to investigate how things were handled, make sure policies were followed, and possibly make recommendations on how to better address this situation should it happen in the future. I have no problem with that happening.
Some remember the scandal that wasn't....and the twelve years it took to climb out of the self-imposed dungeon.

Some remember the scandal that wasn't....and the twelve years it took to climb out of the self-imposed dungeon.

Sure. But there is little indication that the current investigation is going to have the scope that the early 2000s scandal had. I think a lot of fans are overreacting to something that may end up looking procedural in the end.

In the end, it appears this Tumpkin issue highlighted areas of confusion on appropriate policy. Better for CU to get that squared away now before future situations arise.

Sure. But there is little indication that the current investigation is going to have the scope that the early 2000s scandal had. I think a lot of fans are overreacting to something that may end up looking procedural in the end.

In the end, it appears this Tumpkin issue highlighted areas of confusion on appropriate policy. Better for CU to get that squared away now before future situations arise.
I really hope you are right. Perhaps I am just gun shy. In the end, I am betting Benson is not Bitsy.

For example, clarification on the need to report & the university's policy on an incident that occurs off campus. That seems to be central to the current discussion and is leading to what I believe is the correct direction -- all incidents, regardless of location, that become known to the university are to be reported.

Agree. but my major problem is how CU, once again, has NOT responded to public scrutiny being turned up to eleven

Maybe. CU has done plenty for MM, so I do not find the disrespectful angle to be nearly as compelling as others.

The disrespect comes from tying MacIntyre's contract extension and raise to the results of the independent investigation.

What if the investigators discover that the university lied and knew of Tumpkin's TRO before the Alamo Bowl? In that scenario there should be a little hell to pay.

If it's confirmed that the Boulder Camera broke the news to CU about the TRO on Jan 6th, consistent with what has been reported, then it's much easier to justify learning from the experience and moving on.

Either way it turns out, holding MacIntyre's money hostage to some prolonged investigation seems like the wrong way to go.

As a measure of good faith, atleast pay the man his money. To do otherwise is basically assuming that he is guilty until proven innocent.

Back