What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bob Stoops Stepping Down at OU

Cowher/Tomlin?
True, but Tomlin wasn't part of the Steelers organization when Cowher retired. Especially in the NFL, I don't think it's all that rare to go from one great coach to another, especially if they are gifted a franchise QB. The college game is so much different.

I wonder when he told his team he was retiring? IMO, unless the next coach basically keeps the same offense/defense I could see a bumpy ride for OU this season.

True, but Tomlin wasn't part of the Steelers organization when Cowher retired. Especially in the NFL, I don't think it's all that rare to go from one great coach to another, especially if they are gifted a franchise QB. The college game is so much different.

The Bills and Dolphins are probably poster child examples here as they didn't just lose franchise defining HCs, but also HOF QBs in relatively short order.

Pulled this off a Texas board...

Screenshot_2017-06-07-14-21-26_zpsumttzdox.png

I think this is beautiful timing. Absolutely no distractions for the team and recruits due to the media circling like buzzards 24/7. Brilliantly pulled off if this was the plan.
If this was planned, huge dick move to recruits. They got on campus this week probably, and are now committed to a program that is going to be very different from what they signed on to.

And although I think there was a year or two gap between Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer, I think Switzer can fall into that category as well.

Tommy Bowden to Dabo might be the next closest thing, although it's not like Tommy Bowden was an all timer or anything.

I think that's a stretch. Dabo built upon Bowden's foundation.

But college football is special in this regard. Texas, OU, SC and Alabama made some of their best hires coming off their worst stretches in modern program history. Notre Dame is still chasing the ghost of Lou Holtz like the Nubs are chasing the ghost of Tom Osborne.

(Fulmer was an assistant under Majors at UT)

Actually, forget that. There was a ten year gap between Wilkinson and Switzer. I didn't realize it was that long.

Physically wise, it's probably a good thing he's getting out. Those kids though, it sucks. I didn't know about the heart issues honestly.

Absolutely not on which part? As I said, Tommy Bowden wasn't an all-timer, but he was there nearly a decade, never had a losing record and took Clemson to a bowl game every year (outside of the year they declined one).

Shaw is borderline on this list, as is Kelly, but Osbourne and Fisher work
Conference titles let alone contender for a national championship? Yeah. Next.

I think being a college HC very much is a learn on the job kinda thing where it becomes clear fairly quickly whether you're cut out for it or not. You can only learn so much as an assistant.

We're just going through an exercise to see if there is any precedent that "grooming" an assistant to take over for a successful coach actually works. Calm yourself.
TB was "successful" in the most mundane of terms. He stabilized a program. That's about the best you can say about him.

And cut it with the calm yourself crap. You don't have a monopoly on unemotional posts.

Back