What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn: we're not about to give up on Dan Hawkins

If they seriously plan on keeping this fool around for another 2+ years they might as well just fold the team.

I have been a diehard for the only 6 years I have known the team and for the first time I don't really give a **** anymore.

it is difficult to want to devote my limited financial and time resources to this team when the people in charge don't care about winning and losing.

I said it was 5 years from the day he was hired, so please don't act as if I have changed my tune. You may not like that fact that I think we should give him 5 years, but that is what I said from the beginning based on what the time I have seen it take other coaches to completely build, or rebuild a team in a BCS conference.

Seems Chilly wants to give Hawkins 5 years to prove once and for all that his winning percentage is a mirage. Thing is, Hawkins himself, asked for 4 years. If I remember correctly, I heard him say something about year 4 "no excuses" and something about 10 wins. Now all of a sudden, one more year is needed to show that he can turn this program around?

Gimme me a break. Be a man Hawk. Admit that you have failed to live up to your own stated goals and step down. After all, THIS AINT INTRAMURAL SPORTS. If you follow the message you gave your kids, maybe they would respect you a little more.

Bohn is trying to cover his ass obviously.. This guy thinks he has a lifetime appointment as Athletic Director or something at CU..

If Hawk has to go, Bohn should be gone also. The guy's resume of picking coaches is dreadful. He shouldn't be given another chance to pick another one.

Placed in Bohn's shoe, I would have hired Hawkins too. I just don't know of any other coach who at the time the hiring took place, would be able to reverse this ship. And like the announcer mentioned, McCartney started his fourth season 0-4. I would contend that Hawk inherited a program in even greater dissaray than what Mac had his first year. In fact, I would go on to mention that because the gap of have vs have nots was greater in comparison to McCartney's time, its unrealistic to expect a coach to turn this program around in four years.

I also like the Bzdelik hire.

Actually, Hawkins has turned the program around. Turned the program from respectable, if only slightly above average, into a complete laughingstock.

Good job.

Actually, Hawkins has turned the program around. Turned the program from respectable, if only slightly above average, into a complete laughingstock.

Good job.

yeah, 70-3 and considered the dirtiest program out there was sure great. Ahhh, the good ol days.

:smile2:

From Kiszla's column.

If Hawk is fired, Bohn should be gone also.. He not only hired him but extended him..

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13321738
I was very much against that extension as I didn't believe Hawk had earned it yet. I couldn't help but think Bohn was making the same mistake the Fuskers did with Callahan. While i believe that many programs are too quick to fire coaches these days, these first 2 losses are just impossible to defend.

Last edited:
Guess what, also? Our players are still get arrested right and left, getting suspended, being academically ineligible, et al.

Now that the media love affair is over with Hawkins, expect him to get quite a bit more flak for this than he has.

The team is going to lose scholarships because the players are doing poorly in the classroom.

Last night was a hell of a lot worse than losing 70-3 to one of the best cfb teams ever.

Really??? A ****ty team is a ****ty team. At this point, he's building for the future AND we arent considered filthy in every respect. We dont have to apologize to mother's when we ask if their son will visit...or have them home before dark:rolleyes: How easily we forget.

Placed in Bohn's shoe, I would have hired Hawkins too. I just don't know of any other coach who at the time the hiring took place, would be able to reverse this ship. And like the announcer mentioned, McCartney started his fourth season 0-4. I would contend that Hawk inherited a program in even greater dissaray than what Mac had his first year. In fact, I would go on to mention that because the gap of have vs have nots was greater in comparison to McCartney's time, its unrealistic to expect a coach to turn this program around in four years.

I also like the Bzdelik hire.

Somehing tells me that if the Buffs started 0-2 next year, you would still love the hire of Hawkins. Some fans wanna sing cumbaya others wanna win.

Guess what, also? Our players are still get arrested right and left, getting suspended, being academically ineligible, et al.

Now that the media love affair is over with Hawkins, expect him to get quite a bit more flak for this than he has.

The team is going to lose scholarships because the players are doing poorly in the classroom.

First---thats not at all true. Highest GPA in CU history.
Second---Not true at all about "getting arrested left and right"
Third---When someone gets in trouble, they get disciplined. Nice concept, huh?:thumbsup:

What are we building for the future?

Building an example for our players that it is ok, hell it is even ****ing AWESOME AND DESIRABLE!!!, to lose all the time?

This team lost to CSU and Toledo. They are bad teams. We have significantly more talent than them, but yet we got steamrolled.

It is Hawkins fault, period.

First---thats not at all true. Highest GPA in CU history.
Second---Not true at all about "getting arrested left and right"
Third---When someone gets in trouble, they get disciplined. Nice concept, huh?:thumbsup:

If they are doing so well in the classroom then why are we having APR problems that are going to cost us scholarships. Why are so many players academically ineligible every year?

Explain.

Really??? A ****ty team is a ****ty team. At this point, he's building for the future AND we arent considered filthy in every respect. We dont have to apologize to mother's when we ask if their son will visit...or have them home before dark:rolleyes: How easily we forget.

I guess in your eyes, building for the future will take at least 10 years if after four you say Hawk is building for the future. After 10 years of losing, we can marvel at how the students have a high gpa and we no longer have to apologize to parents for having their kids visit CU. And oh, the fact that we get the crap beat out of us every week would just be an inconvenient reality.

I guess in your eyes, building for the future will take at least 10 years if after four you say Hawk is building for the future. After 10 years of losing, we can marvel at how the students have a high gpa and we no longer have to apologize to parents for having their kids visit CU. And oh, the fact that we get the crap beat out of us every week would just be an inconvenient reality.

Not at all. He needs to win, I dont make excuses for that. DO you get that I dont have an agenda here? Our goals are the same---for CU to win. We have a different approach to how that happens. So, both of you drop the "you dont care that we suck", ****. YES I ****ING DO. Im a season ticket holder in Oklahoma and drive to a 4 games/yr, take **** all season from OU friends, etc, etc, etc. I eat, breathe and sleep football...not GPA's and warm feelings.
Where we were at was ****. Absolute ****. We had no chance of winning, recruiting or even being up to Baylor's potential. Our o-line couldnt practice. The scandal, blaming nobody, ****ed us. It was our own death penalty. Hawkins came in here and had to re-write the whole team's identity from scratch. Erase everything in every recruit/fan/donor/joe blow's mind. He's finally got us to that point. If theres an issue, the player is suspended. Period. There are no scandals. Theres a good team GPA (highest ever.), etc, etc, etc. These done translate to wins, I get that and Im getting there.
He's recruited people that are good people and good football players. Even those of us who want to win in the worst way have to be okay with that. Not because we have some sudden moral conscience, but because of what happened to the program's image in the recent past. However, lets focus on the talent part. Its not where it needs to be if we're CU in 2000, but, it's building to that point. We're LOADED at running back. We're LOADED at OL. We're LOADED at DB (although, they dont look like it). We have young QB's coming in. Young WR's are here. Yound DL is here. Do we not understand how young this team is? It takes time. I know we're tired of losing and hearing that, but, its our reality. Sorry. We have to have time to build a successful program after what we went through. We're on the brink, really are. You can rip this, that fine...but, you're wrong. I get why though, Im impatient and want to win now too. We will.
As for anyone who says the players arent with Hawk, he's lost the team--I promise you, PROMISE you, you are wrong on this. I know that for an absolute fact. Maybe Im wrong about Hawk being right for the team, Maybe you're right----you're wrong that he's lost the team.

Here's the thing. In general, I also believe a coach needs 5 years to really get his guys in. For example, a first recruiting class is weak, the second is better, but if those guys redshirt, you get a sophomore-dominated team in year 4. Can you really expect a bunch of sophomores to compete in the Big XII? Having said that, CSU and Toledo are not Big XII teams, and you need to see progress in those 5 years. You can point to better grades and better athletes, but the decision-making, OMG. Winning games obviously doesn't matter when you doggedly keep a non-performer in at QB. Cody has his skill set, but if they aren't enough, you have to have a backup plan. This coach doesn't seem to be willing to change.

BTW, the one thing I am really sick of hearing is that at 2 TDs down you have to throw out your game plan. That's BS - you just have to get a stop or two, keep your game plan intact, and be the team you practiced to be - not a throwing team that you don't have the WRs or QB to support.

Recruiting is going to be atrocious this year.
Too early to know. No, when you dont win games, I generally dont think we're going to get a lot of 5*'s. We have alot of players in place right now. Need to go JUCO ranks some more, and get qualified, and get these talented frosh/sophomores we have some experience.

Alright didnt mean to offend you by questioning whether you want to win or not. But my point still stands though. You keep talking about all this talent we have loaded on the team. Sorry I dont see it. Yes, the O line has potential and talent but that doesnt mean anything until they dominate.

We are not loaded at running back. Daryl Scott just manged to put a lot people at ease, just a bit, after many thought he was headed the Marcus Houston route. Stewart while great is a change of pace back. One injury and our "loaded" backfield could be as thin as a blade.
Until we get a legitimate QB prospect in here we have nothing. Sorry Cody is not a legitimate D1 QB. Hansen is not exactly the tallest guy either and his arm is not that much better than Cody. His only advantage over Cody is his ability to run. Behind these two, we have average/walk on prospects. Dont tell me we are loaded with talent at the QB position. If you want to see a legitimate college QB look at the likes of Hinder from Steamboat Springs who just committed to Cal. When will CU have a QB of that caliber?

Our secondary is also a big question. Obviously the likes of Polk are having a difficult transiiton to safety. But there is some athleticism there. However, when your best corner is barely over 5 feet, I dont know how dominant your secondary can be. At reciever, we have Scotty Mcknight and Espinoza as our leading target men- not exactly a duo that will strike fear in to oppossing secondaries. Simas and Simmons have not done squat so anyone claiming they are a sure thing are purely guessing. Dont get me wrong, I love our players. And I hope they can turn it around. I just dont have any faith in Hawkins.

1) Don't think things like this don't effect the team. We can say how we support the players all we want, but calling for a staff to be replaced right now is not going to help this team win.

We could all be positive like you Chilly but it will not change the outcome of one to three wins this year. You should relax, they will not fire Hawkins during the season.

2) It's also not going to help on the recruiting trail if recruits think Hawkins is on the hot seat. So even if Hawkins isn't replaced, he has 1 hell of an uphill battle on the recruiting trail.

And four losing seasons in a row isn't going to hurt recruiting? Even if he does get a fifth year I don't see how he is going to recruit anyways.

We could all be positive like you Chilly but it will not change the outcome of one to three wins this year. You should relax, they will not fire Hawkins during the season.

And four losing seasons in a row isn't going to hurt recruiting? Even if he does get a fifth year I don't see how he is going to recruit anyways.
Our recruiting was relatively pathetic even before these 2 embarrassments....

We're going to be fighting UNC, Wyoming, and probably the School of Mines for recruits this off-season. All we can do is hope a couple of the 1 to 2 star recruits are flying under the radar.

Recruiting is somewhat overrated.

Did any of the recruiting sites say that TOLEDO had a better recruiting class than Colorado? That freshman wide receiver Toledo had was SICK. What was he rated?

You should relax, they will not fire Hawkins during the season.

I think this is absolutely correct. The chances of Bohn firing Hawkins two games into the season (or even eight games into the season) are pretty much slim and none.

If a change is made (and I find that incredibly unlikely given the state of affairs in the athletic department) it won't happen until the season is over.

As a glass half full kind of guy, I have to admit I have serious doubts about the future of this team. On one hand, I like Chilly's perspective. On the other hand, there are glaring issues on both sides of the ball as well as how the team is coached. However, I don't see Hawkins being fired this year for one simple reason. I'm certain that the school doesn't have the $$$ to go out and hire someone with the credentails of a Stoops, Carroll, Saben, etc.

Why Hawk has to go now!

"I want to bring a national championship back to Boulder"
"10 and No"

2 games into his 4th season he is...

3 straight losing seasons, looking to tie CU's all time record of 4.
13-27 overall record
3-12 vs. the North
2-14 on the road
0-3 vs Kansas
0-3 vs. Mizzou

19-10 to Montana St.

Barely beating Eastern Washington at home

58-0 to Mizzou (our last bit of pride we had as we were #3 in the country for longest non shutout streak)

23-17 at home to CSU (first loss to rams in Boulder since 1986)

54-38 to Toledo, A MAC team killed us. Hawk foolishly kept his own son in to get more embarrased and then risked a huge injury to Cody. Not smart Dan!

Accusing media and fans they don't know what they're talking about and ignorantly thinking CU is fine. "It's little things!"

We seem to be regressing each year even though our talent has slightly improved. This **** would not be tolerated at any big time school. Time to find a coach who can get his team fired up and win!

He lost the team last night

The look on his face, the obvious lack of effort from the defense... the overall effort, PERIOD. IT was like they didn't even start trying until they realized they were getting embarrassed. Even then, it was too late...

He lost the team. The players don't buy into his schtick and don't believe he can do the job. The only reason to NOT make a change is gone. Get rid of him.

I don't understand the Oklahoma & Texas quote. It seems illogical. What bearing does them making the wrong hiring decision 2, 3 or 4 times have to do with Dan Hawkins?

Seriously, help me out. Bohn's a smart guy and I'm really not understanding this.
Perhaps, he's defending himself, not Hawkins. In that context, the quote would make sense.

Back