What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Both Directv and Dish expexted to sign on day 1 for sec network

Hey, :asshole: - read down a few more posts where I mention a 50 foot tall, 400 year old tree that blocks satellite signals. And Verizon cable in the area so **** off with your "quit your bellyaching."

Wait, so now you expect me to read entire posts? I didn't sign up for this.

Oh and quit bellyaching, man up and chop down that ****ing tree! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Spent 2007 - 2009 in Denver and didn't have DirecTV. Saw a good number of Charger games at home otherwise walked down the street to the bar. If presented with a choice, PAC 12 network 100%.

I don't know about programming, or superior tech with dish TV anywhere or the Hopper.. But non promotional pricing for programming is less expensive at dish and their current promotional pricing can't be beat.

From phone

The Broncos argument doesn't hold a lot of water either. Again, I live in New England and the Broncos played a nationally broadcast game every except maybe two weeks. With no special programming package to speak of, I watched 14 of the 16 Broncos' games from home, 2500 miles away.

Hot rack, you chop down that tree yet?

Have to admit, we had reached a point in the house search where I wasn't paying attention to house orientation too much. Paying for it now.
Only issue with poisoning the tree is it still doesn't bring it down, and the cost to remove it would be a semester's worth of tuition. Pac 12 Network and divorce or kids in school and no divorce? I went with the latter.

Rack - put your dog to work (and quit your belly-aching)!

download.jpg

Last edited:
Last year I saw every CU game in HD and I have DTV. There was a high quality pirated P12 net stream every week. Streaming is the future and ESPN will replace DTV as the middle man for distribution someday because they are partnered with most of those college networks where they split revenue but provide studio, equipment, and know how. Except, of course, for the P12 net.

FIFY.

At least make a $25/year donation to the AD to somewhat mitigate your theft.

Of course, given your avatar, even $15 might be a little too pricey...

The eyeballs improve the ad penetration and raises the spots value, increasing revenue.

Streaming is the future and ESPN will replace DTV as the middle man for distribution someday because they are partnered with most of those college networks where they split revenue but provide studio, equipment, and know how. Except, of course, for the P12 net.

Nobody likes the current distribution model more than ESPN. They get over $6 a month from every single cable household in the country.

We don't know what the future of TV looks like. Safe to assume changes are coming along with technology. But I believe the safest bet is content providers are going to get theirs. If Congress were to pass a la carte programming - they'll find a way to replace the revenue. How does $30 a month for ESPN sound? If everyone cuts the chord - who is going to pay for all that extra bandwidth we are using? Who do we get the internet from to stream content? Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, Verizon, etc. They'll just increase the cost of internet.

Hulu will replace live TV? Okay. Who owns Hulu? A consortium of all the content providers - Disney, Viacom, NBC Universal etc.

At the moment, chord cutters are paying less for TV. No doubt about it. But if we all move to cutting the chord, then we'll see modeling and pricing move that direction. Right now people are sharing HBOGo, ESPN, etc. log in accounts. If it gets too prevalent -- you don't think they'll figure out a way to kill that? Single IP address or single log in...

Competition is good. Will the current model go the way of long distance? Who knows. But we'll pay for it some way or the other.

Nobody likes the current distribution model more than ESPN. They get over $6 a month from every single cable household in the country.

We don't know what the future of TV looks like. Safe to assume changes are coming along with technology. But I believe the safest bet is content providers are going to get theirs. If Congress were to pass a la carte programming - they'll find a way to replace the revenue. How does $30 a month for ESPN sound? If everyone cuts the chord - who is going to pay for all that extra bandwidth we are using? Who do we get the internet from to stream content? Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, Verizon, etc. They'll just increase the cost of internet.

Hulu will replace live TV? Okay. Who owns Hulu? A consortium of all the content providers - Disney, Viacom, NBC Universal etc.

At the moment, chord cutters are paying less for TV. No doubt about it. But if we all move to cutting the chord, then we'll see modeling and pricing move that direction. Right now people are sharing HBOGo, ESPN, etc. log in accounts. If it gets too prevalent -- you don't think they'll figure out a way to kill that? Single IP address or single log in...

Competition is good. Will the current model go the way of long distance? Who knows. But we'll pay for it some way or the other.

HBO has come out in favor of people sharing their HBOGo accounts. I think you are correct on the internet providers raising their rates. I believe that is the main reason they are all teaming up.

HBO has come out in favor of people sharing their HBOGo accounts.

Had not seen that. Google search first link is a yes and no to that. But did read the other articles with CEO comments back in January. It does make sense to build an audience. But back to my point above, the more prevalent it becomes, the faster they'll stop it.

Lauria: So the strategy is you ignore it now in the hopes that they’ll subscribe down the line?
Plepler: It's not that we're ignoring it. And we're working on different ways to affect password sharing. I'm simply telling you it's not a fundamental problem. And the externality is it presents the brand to more and more people.

A la carte streaming is the future.

That's why the Pac-12 is the best positioned conference.

They're not focusing on the market that is, but the market that's going to be.

So, what did they do?

1. They own 100% of their content rather than doing a 50/50 split with ESPN or FOX.
2. They refused to de-value their product with discounts.

We have a situation where within the Pac-12 footprint, distribution within the current model is as good as any conference network and the pricing (with 100% ownership) means that the profitability is the same for member institutions as it would be with more deals at a lower price -- especially with only 12 teams. Profits only go up with more members if the same model brings in the Texas subscribers.

Further, network headquarters were placed in the Bay instead of LA for a reason. Being close to the best tv & movie production talent and the home of FOX & ESPN LA studios was not as important as being in collaborative proximity to google, apple and other tech giants.

As Wayne Gretzky said when asked about the secret of his success - skate to where the puck is going.

ITT people who don't know shot about real economics only stuff taught to freshmen undergrads: Eddie and Carolina

Someone has to force the change, or it will be status quo, I think Nik's comments are accurate. I also think if the foresight in the current network model is based on that then change in imminent. Still in the meantime there has to be a driving force and formats like XBMC and other streaming platforms have become so big they cannot be ignored. NM I am not an ITT person, my view is driven by a sales mentality, and that line of thinking is simple 1 costs x, and 1000 costs y. Its that simple and I don't give a flying F*** what your degree is in that is the way the free world and the US economy works. Always has, and always will. Perception is a beast when talking about the masses, and the perception that the Pac 12 is the Mountain West "Senior Circuit" to the entire country east of Denver is very real. My point will be validated if several of the contenders for the playoff have 1 loss. With all things being even, the Pac 12 champ will be on the outside looking in. At that point if you continue to beat the drum for the current situation you are the equivalent of an NFL owner that is only interested in the $$$$$$ and will not make the sacrifices to win a Super Bowl. This network and conference needs viewers, millions more of them, and to argue that is simply laughable.

vaJjajP.jpg

Feel free to file this under "I've heard that before", but the DTV guy at Sams yesterday told me that he heard a deal was coming at some point in the next three weeks. I'm 99% certain he said that in order to get me to sign up. I only mention it here because I've made it a mission to always pester the guys at Sams about the P12 network. Usually, they say "Oh, well, that's not something we offer at this time, but you can still get all your favorite teams by watching this mishmash of other networks". This was the only time when I ever actually got a "we will have a deal in 'x' amount of time". I'm skeptical, but maybe there's something to this.

Feel free to file this under "I've heard that before", but the DTV guy at Sams yesterday told me that he heard a deal was coming at some point in the next three weeks. I'm 99% certain he said that in order to get me to sign up. I only mention it here because I've made it a mission to always pester the guys at Sams about the P12 network. Usually, they say "Oh, well, that's not something we offer at this time, but you can still get all your favorite teams by watching this mishmash of other networks". This was the only time when I ever actually got a "we will have a deal in 'x' amount of time". I'm skeptical, but maybe there's something to this.

you would think that we would hear whispers if this were true.

you would think that we would hear whispers if this were true.

Not necessarily. They usually announce deals when they're done. Or, conversely, maybe this is one of those whispers. I honestly think he was blowing smoke up my skirt.

Not necessarily. They usually announce deals when they're done. Or, conversely, maybe this is one of those whispers. I honestly think he was blowing smoke up my skirt.

You just got to feel that the dude hawking systems at Sams would not be privy to this before Jon Wilner or somebody, but maybe he was the CEO on "Undercover Boss".

You just got to feel that the dude hawking systems at Sams would not be privy to this before Jon Wilner or somebody, but maybe he was the CEO on "Undercover Boss".

He claimed to be the owner of the area DTV distributorship for Northern Colorado. I have no proof of this at all. I'm not making any actual predictions. I just thought it was interesting that he'd give such a specific time frame. If he truly is the owner of the DTV Distributorship in Northern Colorado, it might not be completely outside the realm of possibility that he'd be told of an imminent agreement, given his location. Assuming there is an agreement in the works, they might want to let people in specific areas know about it.

Probably just part of the disinformation campaign to make the pending agreement that much more special... :huh:

Pac-12, DirecTV continue ugly battle over carriage of Pac-12 Networks
The two sides have been at an impasse since the Pac-12 Networks launched in 2012 and no DIRECTV customer has seen the network or individual school programming since that time.
It’s gotten so bitter that the two sides are now fighting over the SEC Network of all things.

Back