What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Both Directv and Dish expexted to sign on day 1 for sec network

Have you called your carrier if they are adding the PAC this season? The cable carriers are adding additional markets this year.

And even if I didn't have the PAC, I would order dish. And if unable to do that, I would stream the PAC Network via chromecast and it would be >>>> than the FCS broadcasts

From phone
Why would I do that? It is easier to bitch that LS is screwing me than taking action myself.

Fans shouldn't have to switch carriers to accommodate the network. Instead the P12 network should be doing all they can to get their network on all available carriers, especially when they're already at a timezone disadvantage. And P12 fans wonder why the nation's 3rd-leading rusher in a P5 conference didn't get an invitation to the Heisman ceremony in NYC and finished a distant 10th in the voting.

The so-called genius talked up his conference as wanting to be national and did a media tour in NYC, yet they still can't get their network on one of the biggest carriers and continue to schedule late-night games east-coast time. Yea, great way to make your conference nationally prominent.

The "so-called genius" had the most revenues out of all the conferences. Seriously guys. DTV wanted to offer the pac12 a third of what they were offering the other conferences. If LS said yes he would have to do the same with all the other carriers. Then revenue would go down and everyone would be like "LS has not been generating as much revenue as before. He needs to go"

The "so-called genius" had the most revenues out of all the conferences. Seriously guys. DTV wanted to offer the pac12 a third of what they were offering the other conferences. If LS said yes he would have to do the same with all the other carriers. Then revenue would go down and everyone would be like "LS has not been generating as much revenue as before. He needs to go"

Doesn't matter if CU would have had to take a 20% cut to its media revenue. What's important is that the Pac-12 fans from outside the footprint who don't care quite enough to change carriers would be able to see more games. Oh, and other sports fans would become "exposed" to Pac-12 football by finding PACN for a late night game at a number just short of the Light Jazz channel when surfing at midnight on a Saturday.

Doesn't matter if CU would have had to take a 20% cut to its media revenue. What's important is that the Pac-12 fans from outside the footprint who don't care quite enough to change carriers would be able to see more games. Oh, and other sports fans would become "exposed" to Pac-12 football by finding PACN for a late night game at a number just short of the Light Jazz channel when surfing at midnight on a Saturday.

Come on Buffnik....what's important is the money (that's the work we live in). The exposure takes care of itself with better on field performance.

Right or wrong the only people who feel that the PN has been a success are those that are willing to change something to get it, or those that were with a provider that carries it in the first place. Both sides of the DTV, Pac 12 Network pissing match need to give a little. The Pac 12 is viewed as inferior, we need exposure badly, in a round about way they have admitted it by adding the "Brunch Game" this season. We talk about a better product will do it, really ? not if nobody see's it. Numbers get thrown around 80 million viewers, 70 million, whatever. The number that matters for growth is "How many viewers outside the footprint" I don't have the numbers perhaps someone does, but I will venture to guess that is where the BIG and SEC are "*****-slappin the Pac to second class. This will continue until something changes and the whole country regardless of provider can subscribe.

The Pac-12 network is a sports network, and although I have no evidence to support it at the moment, I would bet that DTV has a disproportionately higher percentage of subscribers that consider themselves sports fans. I know that I have stuck with DTV because for a few extra dollars a month I get access to every regional sports channel, additional hunting channels and soccer specific channels (I expect to be vilified for the soccer love, but I don't care). I also get the best football programming in the world - every NFL game, dozens of college football games a week, and with the regional sports package, I also get 100's of high school football games a year. I also have access to the best array of HD channels. Also, I attend every home game. So I am only missing the 3 to 4 away games a season that are carried by the Pac-12 network. Why would I give up a far superior product for 12 hours of programming a year?

I tend to think exposure is more important right now. No one takes the PAC seriously, and it's partly because no one east of Colorado sees the games. It seems to me that increased exposure leads to increased revenue down the line. I think the PAC needs to take a longer term view than just maximum revenue today.

I am not necessarily advocating caving to DTV either, increased exposure could be accomplished in other ways.

The Pac-12 network is a sports network, and although I have no evidence to support it at the moment, I would bet that DTV has a disproportionately higher percentage of subscribers that consider themselves sports fans. I know that I have stuck with DTV because for a few extra dollars a month I get access to every regional sports channel, additional hunting channels and soccer specific channels (I expect to be vilified for the soccer love, but I don't care). I also get the best football programming in the world - every NFL game, dozens of college football games a week, and with the regional sports package, I also get 100's of high school football games a year. I also have access to the best array of HD channels. Also, I attend every home game. So I am only missing the 3 to 4 away games a season that are carried by the Pac-12 network. Why would I give up a far superior product for 12 hours of programming a year?

I don't seem to be missing anything you have except for the NFL games but I live where my NFL team plays so that doesn't bother me.

Nearly every national college football discussion of late has been arguing who the top conference is this season - the PAC 12 or SEC. For a conference no one gives a rip about, we sure are getting a lot of air play. There is nothing we can do about the time zone (although the PAC is now playing games at Noon to help) and we'll get a DirecTV done when it gets done. Scott, the PAC and every sports fan in the country knows getting a deal done with DirecTV is important. I am sure the PAC is willing to budge, but not at DirecTV's ask. And if they refuse to come up, I don't know what anyone expects the PAC to do. Maybe if the Buffs can start winning some games and we are still stuck on the PAC N - then we'll move the needle enough? Maybe the feel good story will carry enough stroke? Or maybe we'll just have to hope the ATT deal goes through and affects negotiations. Something will break sooner or later, it always does.

Sympathize for those who literally don't have any options. Less sympathetic for those who are choosing Sunday Ticket over the PAC. And pretty much no sympathy for those who don't want to switch just b/c its a pain in the ass. Especially when Dish is pretty much the low cost carrier along with very good technology.

Anyway, will do my best to drop out of this thread. Keep repeating the same thing over and over.

Nearly every national college football discussion of late has been arguing who the top conference is this season - the PAC 12 or SEC. For a conference no one gives a rip about, we sure are getting a lot of air play. There is nothing we can do about the time zone (although the PAC is now playing games at Noon to help) and we'll get a DirecTV done when it gets done. Scott, the PAC and every sports fan in the country knows getting a deal done with DirecTV is important. I am sure the PAC is willing to budge, but not at DirecTV's ask. And if they refuse to come up, I don't know what anyone expects the PAC to do. Maybe if the Buffs can start winning some games and we are still stuck on the PAC N - then we'll move the needle enough? Maybe the feel good story will carry enough stroke? Or maybe we'll just have to hope the ATT deal goes through and affects negotiations. Something will break sooner or later, it always does.

Sympathize for those who literally don't have any options. Less sympathetic for those who are choosing Sunday Ticket over the PAC. And pretty much no sympathy for those who don't want to switch just b/c its a pain in the ass. Especially when Dish is pretty much the low cost carrier along with very good technology.

Anyway, will do my best to drop out of this thread. Keep repeating the same thing over and over.

This is a dying medium. Sports watching will be dramatically different by 2020 IMO. I think it will be much more al-la-cart internet based. The Pac 12 seems to be going more that route. They can't offer it inside the US yet because that will piss off the cable and sat providers that do carry them but that model is dying. More and more people are cutting the cord and just watching things purely online. Directv, xfinity, dish, and the rest need to change their business models soon or they will go the way of the newspapers.

I don't think the Pac needs to bend it's knee to Ozymandias.

Basically, the sports advantage of DTV is solely on NFL. My thought is that I can go to any bar to see any out-of-market game I may want to watch if I really want to see it beyond "Redzone" coverage.

But I'm more of a CU and Pac-12 fan than I am an NFL fan and this extends beyond football coverage for me. I get a ton of basketball games on PACN that I wouldn't otherwise get to see. I also watch a number of CU games in other sports like WBB, VB and Soccer.

Anyway, I support Larry Scott refusing to cut price to get into lower demand markets for PACN since it would compromise the asset across the board. I also support the ultimatum that if a distributor wants to bring on PACN then it needs to be on the same tier as BTN, not some pay-per-view thing.

This is a dying medium. Sports watching will be dramatically different by 2020 IMO. I think it will be much more al-la-cart internet based. The Pac 12 seems to be going more that route. They can't offer it inside the US yet because that will piss off the cable and sat providers that do carry them but that model is dying. More and more people are cutting the cord and just watching things purely online. Directv, xfinity, dish, and the rest need to change their business models soon or they will go the way of the newspapers.

I agree with the market changing. I think that the cable and satellite companies today are akin to Blockbuster and Hollywood Video at the height of their success in video rentals.

^^^^This.
I've also come to notice a good portion of the LS defenders around here reside in the Pac-12 footprint (i.e. Colorado, California, the outlier Washington, Oregon or Arizona) and continue to not give a **** about us fans/alumni that live outside the regional footprint as they tout LS as a "genius."

I get a definite "let them eat cake" attitude toward us alumni/fans who live outside the "holy land."

I live as far outside the footprint as you can get. I also watched every game last season from the comfort of my couch. Quit bellyaching. If you want to watch the games get Dish.

I agree. If LS is paying attention and setting us up for such, then he is doing it right.

I am not bellyaching about not having the network. I guess my point was the Pac-12, for some of us, isn't worth leaving DTV. I also live near bars that have the Pac-12 network, so my situation is different than most.

I also understand the argument that LS shouldn't decrease the network's value by accepting DTV's lower offer. However, I don't think he would be signing a lifetime deal with DTV. Contracts are made to be broken and renegotiated. Heck, if he would have signed a 5 year deal when the network launched, they would almost be halfway through the unacceptable deal. The Pac-12 needs eyeballs, especially those on the coasts (east coast in particular), in order to truly garner national attention, more negotiating power in the future, etc. I'm an attorney, and sometimes I will cut my billables for a new client so I can show them how valuable I am. Rome wasn't built in a day - brick by brick.

I live as far outside the footprint as you can get. I also watched every game last season from the comfort of my couch. Quit bellyaching. If you want to watch the games get Dish.

Hey, :asshole: - read down a few more posts where I mention a 50 foot tall, 400 year old tree that blocks satellite signals. And Verizon cable in the area so **** off with your "quit your bellyaching."

Hey, :asshole: - read down a few more posts where I mention a 50 foot tall, 400 year old tree that blocks satellite signals. And Verizon cable in the area so **** off with your "quit your bellyaching."

A real Buff fan would either be poisoning that tree, stealing Dish from a neighbor, or - in the first place - would have made his offer to buy the home contingent upon it passing a Dish reception inspection. :lol:

A real Buff fan would either be poisoning that tree, stealing Dish from a neighbor, or - in the first place - would have made his offer to buy the home contingent upon it passing a Dish reception inspection. :lol:

Have to admit, we had reached a point in the house search where I wasn't paying attention to house orientation too much. Paying for it now.
Only issue with poisoning the tree is it still doesn't bring it down, and the cost to remove it would be a semester's worth of tuition. Pac 12 Network and divorce or kids in school and no divorce? I went with the latter.

What the hell is so great about DTV that people are unwilling to leave?

They're willing to pay more for inferior equipment and not get all the networks they want... because they are able to flip among 6 different NFL games for both Sunday afternoon time slots.

I would love DTV to carry the network. Exposure is important. I just don't think that bending over was necessary. Even if they do a 5 year deal they would have to cut their fees with other companies by half.

I honestly think that even if DTV would have demanded a fee of $.01 per moth, many here would still say that LS should have taken that deal.

They're willing to pay more for inferior equipment and not get all the networks they want... because they are able to flip among 6 different NFL games for both Sunday afternoon time slots.

The flipping isn't it - that's what the Redzone channel is for. It's being able to see all your NFL team's games while sitting at home. I think it's hard for non-NFL fans or fans in their NFL hometowns to understand. Imagine every Broncos fan living away from Denver and not getting that game on Fox or CBS on Sundays, and instead getting another game you don't give a **** about. Those trips to Buffalo Wild Wings add up and start to become a pain in the ass, especially when your fan buddy bails.

I really think DTV will be in for a huge wakeup call if/when they lose the NFL ticket or the exclusivity of the NFL ticket.

Last edited:
The flipping isn't it - that's what the Redzone channel is for. It's being able to see all your NFL team's games while sitting at home. I think it's hard for non-NFL fans or fans in their NFL hometowns to understand. Imagine every Broncos fan living away from Denver and not getting that game on Fox or CBS on Sundays, and instead getting another game you don't give a **** about. Those trips to Buffalo Wild Wings add up and start to become a pain in the ass, especially when your fan buddy bails.

I really think DTV will be in for a huge wakeup call if/when they lose the NFL ticket or the exclusivity of the NFL ticket.

So, if the Broncos are on at BWW and the Buffs are not due to their respective broadcast deals... then choosing DTV over Dish is choosing Broncos football over both Buffs football and Buffs basketball.

So, if the Broncos are on at BWW and the Buffs are not due to their respective broadcast deals... then choosing DTV over Dish is choosing Broncos football over both Buffs football and Buffs basketball.
That's the way I see it. And it was exactly the way I viewed the trade off: see ~6 Broncos games + every CU football and basketball game + BWW for the 2-3 Broncos games I really don't want to miss that aren't on Monday, Sunday or Thursday night/national Sunday afternoon broadcast -or- see all 16 Broncos games and 2-3 CU football and basketball games.

Anyone who chooses dtv over dish in that scenario just further proves the point that Colorado is first, second and third a Broncos state, and CU is competing with the no-guts, rox, and avs for fourth place.

I don't know where this Dish programming is superior came from when the fact is it's BS, DTV and Dish have almost the same programming, only DTV has more of it in HD. As for the Hopper and recording 6 shows at once goes, F_ING PLEASE, if your recording and watching that much TV I suggest you get a life. This is about the Pac 12 network vs the NFL and if you live out of market of "your" team. I live in DFW and at 26 wins vs 5 over the last 2 years that isn't even a decision, its a joke to suggest it is. Especially when I can watch CU and all of Larry's programming for free, If and when DTV gets its I will pay, or if I can stream for a fee I will pay, until then I will stream for Nadda and laugh

Back