What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bracketology 2013/2014

Don't seem to be as lethal as they usually are from 3. Haven't checked their season stats but they were horrid against UVA. Bad news is they still won by 10. Once teams get down to Wisconsin they seem to panic a bit and players try to do too much, and that just plays right into Wisconsin's hands.
Right now Wisconsin's odds of winning would be ~66% on a neutral court. I was actually under the impression that Wisconsin was still the same team I saw in ABQ, and nearly fell asleep watching. They still run it slow but not nearly as slow as the past few years.

Last edited:
Right now Wisconsin's odds of winning would be 66%. I was actually under the impression that Wisconsin was still the same team I saw in ABQ, and nearly fell asleep watching. They still run it slow but not nearly as slow as the past few years.

That is the crazy thing, they can turn it up if they want too but usually play a version of Tad ball on steroids.

A couple more to follow -

I'm a big fan of the "bracket matrix" - basically a Nate Silver polling type of averaging and projecting the bracket from all of the brackets out there (has CU as a 6)

Also - my hoops man crush (Nropp) appears to be doing a projection project this year

Am I seeing this right?

Seed-Madness has us listed as a No. 1 seed? They've got Zona as a No.2, they must be counting on us knocking them off.

Am I seeing this right?

Seed-Madness has us listed as a No. 1 seed? They've got Zona as a No.2, they must be counting on us knocking them off.
They also have Umass as a Number 1. It has a lot to do with RPI obviously which coincides with strength of schedule. I think a 6 right now is a fair seed.

A couple more to follow -

I'm a big fan of the "bracket matrix" - basically a Nate Silver polling type of averaging and projecting the bracket from all of the brackets out there (has CU as a 6)

Also - my hoops man crush (Nropp) appears to be doing a projection project this year

I hadn't heard of those, I'll check them out.

A new one from CBS came out and it is pretty interesting. Our 4 seed with UMASS in the 2nd round would be a dream. I think the pac teams are going to beat each other up and we'll ultimately end up in the 6-9 range.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

I have to disagree. I think this draw is great, other than Wisconsin. Minnesota is a soft Big-10 team with a new head coach and Wichita State is overrated in my opinion. They haven't been as dominant as people expected so far. I think their high ranking is a hangover from their deep tourney run.

I disagree completely that we're overrated, but I understand that's your opinion, I just think maybe I could try and change you opinion on that. We replaced our post with a transfer who had to sit out last year, a juco transfer who had hardly any minutes last year, and another juco transfer that is brand new this year. It's taken time for our bigs to mesh with the team, because our backcourt is comprised of all returning players. If you look at the recent 4 games played by WSU, @SLU, ORU, UT, @Bama one of the highlights of our team has been our post play. Which has finally come in in the later portion of our NonCon. Which is our toughest portion of our noncon, which looks to me that it indicates our post is progressing, and progressing well. I might mention that in 4 years, SLU has lost 4 times at home. Now it's 5 after WSU went in there.

Outside of the post, our backcourt is solid solid solid, and has been talked about being one of the best in the country. Soph. PG Fred Van Vleet has court vision, and plays a lot like D Rose when he drives, he's a magician at the rim. Ron Baker, RS Soph is lights out from anywhere on the court, drives, shoots, what ever you need, Cotton is a Junior who gets to defend the best player on who ever we play, he's that good on D. Cle Early is a phenom, 6-8 SF/PF who has one of the quickest first steps in college right now. He can shoot from the 3, or dribble drive you from the 3, he can also go low and play the post well with soft touches around the rim, he also likes to throw down nasty dunks. NBA scouts have been in to our practices to look at Cle, and they come out saying there are at least 2 NBA guys in that gym, Cle and Baker. We recently had Miami Heat scouts at the bama game, as well as a few others from other teams.

The Shockers as a team though is where it's at. I can talk all day about individual skills, but the real skillset of this team, is just that. It's a team. WSU never looks rattled, never looks desperate, and we've had some times this year where the cream rose to the top with this group because other teams would have given up. We've been trailing or tied at half for more games this year than not, yet we're 11-0. No doubt, big experience bonus from the tournament run where we did the same thing. The Shockers rebound and shoot free throws well, WSU outrebounds opponents 8.18 boards a game, shoot .752 from the line which is 25th in the country, have an assists to turnover ratio of 3 per game, and win the turnover margin by 3.18 a game.

We might be better this year than last year, and the scary thing is that the WSU team that lost to 12 seeded VCU 2 years ago, was probably better than last year's F4 team.

I just have a hard time thinking the Shockers are over rated.

During the Bama game, we had 3 starters on the bench before half with 2 fouls a piece. It was nerve racking, and they needed someone to come out and play big time. Cle did just that, and I made the comment that "character is made when adversity is met." These Shockers have character for days, and it's unwavering.

P.S. I had a blast at the CU vs Jackson State game. I loved Boulder, had a great time watching the Buffs stomp them. So impressed with Booker and Spencer, those guys are special. I got on the kiss game with my lady friend I brought. All-in-all, it was one of the best trips I've taken, and hope that I can come back to Boulder soon for another game, and if our Athletic Departments would ever listen to me, I've been demanding a Shocker vs CU home-home series that should be a rivalry.

Last edited:
I disagree completely that we're overrated, but I understand that's your opinion, I just think maybe I could try and change you opinion on that. We replaced our post with a transfer who had to sit out last year, a juco transfer who had hardly any minutes last year, and another juco transfer that is brand new this year. It's taken time for our bigs to mesh with the team, because our backcourt is comprised of all returning players. If you look at the recent 4 games played by WSU, @SLU, ORU, UT, @Bama one of the highlights of our team has been our post play. Which has finally come in in the later portion of our NonCon. Which is our toughest portion of our noncon, which looks to me that it indicates our post is progressing, and progressing well. I might mention that in 4 years, SLU has lost 4 times at home. Now it's 5 after WSU went in there.

Outside of the post, our backcourt is solid solid solid, and has been talked about being one of the best in the country. Soph. PG Fred Van Vleet has court vision, and plays a lot like D Rose when he drives, he's a magician at the rim. Ron Baker, RS Soph is lights out from anywhere on the court, drives, shoots, what ever you need, Cotton is a Junior who gets to defend the best player on who ever we play, he's that good on D. Cle Early is a phenom, 6-8 SF/PF who has one of the quickest first steps in college right now. He can shoot from the 3, or dribble drive you from the 3, he can also go low and play the post well with soft touches around the rim, he also likes to throw down nasty dunks. NBA scouts have been in to our practices to look at Cle, and they come out saying there are at least 2 NBA guys in that gym, Cle and Baker. We recently had Miami Heat scouts at the bama game, as well as a few others from other teams.

The Shockers as a team though is where it's at. I can talk all day about individual skills, but the real skillset of this team, is just that. It's a team. WSU never looks rattled, never looks desperate, and we've had some times this year where the cream rose to the top with this group because other teams would have given up. We've been trailing or tied at half for more games this year than not, yet we're 11-0. No doubt, big experience bonus from the tournament run where we did the same thing. The Shockers rebound and shoot free throws well, WSU outrebounds opponents 8.18 boards a game, shoot .752 from the line which is 25th in the country, have an assists to turnover ratio of 3 per game, and win the turnover margin by 3.18 a game.

We might be better this year than last year, and the scary thing is that the WSU team that lost to 12 seeded VCU 2 years ago, was probably better than last year's F4 team.

I just have a hard time thinking the Shockers are over rated.

During the Bama game, we had 3 starters on the bench before half with 2 fouls a piece. It was nerve racking, and they needed someone to come out and play big time. Cle did just that, and I made the comment that "character is made when adversity is met." These Shockers have character for days, and it's unwavering.

P.S. I had a blast at the CU vs Jackson State game. I loved Boulder, had a great time watching the Buffs stomp them. So impressed with Booker and Spencer, those guys are special. I got on the kiss game with my lady friend I brought. All-in-all, it was one of the best trips I've taken, and hope that I can come back to Boulder soon for another game, and if our Athletic Departments would ever listen to me, I've been demanding a Shocker vs CU home-home series that should be a rivalry.

I think Wichita St Home and Home series is a good idea as well. The Shockers are one of the better teams that are relatively close by. I also am feeling doubtful Kansas will be wiling to schedule another with us. So we should have some room for the Shockers.
Though honestly, I would rather have a series with the Lobos. No offense Shocker I just want an excuse to visit the Pitt and eat some good green chile burgers.

Wichita State is a good team but they won't be battle tested, especially in Conference play. Think that's why other fans wouldn't mind playing them. Certainly preferable to some other top seeds. I wouldn't mind seeing Wichita State go undefeated in the regular season though, as the tears from Lawrence and to a lesser extent, Manhattan, would be humorous to say the least.

I'd love a home and home with Wichita State, but it doesn't sound like that is too likely at this time. Too bad, as it would be a fun game, and good for college basketball in general.

Shocker are ranked 11/9 (AP/Coaches), I don't think that is over-rated, but wouldn't say they are under-rated either.

Shocker are ranked 11/9 (AP/Coaches), I don't think that is over-rated, but wouldn't say they are under-rated either.

Very true, the pollsters are backing the Shockers this year, but I have heard from a few people like Hawaiibuff that we're overrated. I don't ever get mad at it, I just assume they haven't actually watched a WSU game and don't know details. And if they are aware of the Shox and educated on it, and still feel they're overrated, that's cool too. We all have opinions, and I won't beat a dead horse if someone disagrees, just laying down my side of the story (which couldn't be biased, could it?!)

Roland, I agree about the tears in Larryville if the Shox go undefeated, but disagree about Manhattan. To have tears, you have to actually have fans. From what I see from their crowds this year, aliens must have abducted the EMAW college hoops fans instead of the livestock they normally abduct. At least that's the only thing I could think of, cause you know, K-State doesn't produce any wishy-washy fans...

4thgen, I wouldn't pass up a green chile burger either.

Goose, next time, I'll grab a boob.

PS I'd be so happy to get into the MWC. The Valley is atrocious this year. Loyola at 295, SIU at 330 on RPI. We have the top half of the conference at RPI's 100 and less, and the other half are 150+. I cry a little at night when I think of Doug Elgin thinking Loyola was a good replacement for Creighton. I'm just hoping that with each win in the MVC this year over a bottom dweller, we don't lose points in the RPI because the competition is greater than 200 rpi.

Last edited:
Would love to play Wisconsin! Feel the same way as the poster who said their wins seemed better at the time than they do now. Nothing about Gasser, Brust, Kaminsky, Dekker, or the other guard scare me. XJ could guard Dekker on the perimeter, and we'd have a size, and speed advantage on them. If they hit 3s, it could be a long day, but there's nothing too concerning about Wisconsin IMO.

Go Beers!

they really should consider a name change.

baseketball.jpg

Can't link from my phone, but SI likes us a lot. Their first bracket has us as a #3 in the East.

Just saw the SI bracket...:jawdrop:

And more love from SI:

Colorado Buffaloes (13-2, No. 15): BUY

The Buffaloes have been ranked for several weeks, but aside from their win over Kansas on a buzzer-beating three, they haven't given people much reason to cluck about them. That will start to change, especially after they handed Oregon its first loss on Sunday. Colorado has legitimate talent, highlighted by its inside-out combo of Josh Scott and point guard Spencer Dinwiddie, but because of their location, their history and their league, most people haven't seen the Buffs play all that much. I recommend you scoop 'em up now before the rest of the shoppers figure out how good they are.

Last edited:
Back