What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bracketology 2013/2014

The last thing I'm going to worry about is who we'd be slated to meet in the Elite 8. I'll happily cross that bridge if we come to it. House money at that point. I would concern myself with the Sweet 16 slated matchup, though. Getting into the "cut down the nets" game in the regional would be absolutely huge. I think that's the best group of playoff games weekend in sports -- even over the NFL divisional championship round.

Sure, this is nothing but fun conjecture at this point, I was mainly pointing out that Cuse has a decided homecourt-style advantage playing in MSG. I'd be thrilled if we can finally break thru to the Sweet 16.

I mean here's a question does Gonzaga's arena host community events or is it just for university functions for the most part? Would the NBA schedule a preseason game there for example? Would Justin Timberlake perform there?

Wtf?

I just love the first day of the tournament, there's nothing like it. The Sweet 16 is always a good barometer especially for a team like CU where it be chartered territory in recent memory.

You mean 2nd and 3rd rounds right? They ruined the first day

True. everyone knows the dance still really starts on Thursday.

Agreed. This "play-in" round one arrangement is horse hockey. VCU is the only team that has done well since the change and I'm pretty sure the ncaa uses that team/year for it's "see how well it works" argument.

Agreed. This "play-in" round one arrangement is horse hockey. VCU is the only team that has done well since the change and I'm pretty sure the ncaa uses that team/year for it's "see how well it works" argument.
You realize we're talking about a grand total of THREE years. The fact that one of the 24 teams (and it's really 12 since we know those other 12 had absolutely no shot in the first place) actually made the Final Four is an accomplishment in my books.

I am still in complete shock at the idea that the Buffs are penciled in as a ****ing 3 seed. Yes, there is a lot of season left but damn that's impressive.

You realize we're talking about a grand total of THREE years. The fact that one of the 24 teams (and it's really 12 since we know those other 12 had absolutely no shot in the first place) actually made the Final Four is an accomplishment in my books.

Yes, the expansion to 68 teams occurred 3 years ago, however teams #64 & #65 have played the "play-in" game since 2001.

To me, if they want to truly expand the field of teams then they need to just do it. This onesy/twoesy stuff is bs and denigrates the first weekend of the tourney.

Yes, the expansion to 68 teams occurred 3 years ago, however teams #64 & #65 have played the "play-in" game since 2001.

To me, if they want to truly expand the field of teams then they need to just do it. This onesy/twoesy stuff is bs and denigrates the first weekend of the tourney.
There was a lot less interest when #64 and #65 played. The First Four actually made it intriguing with brand names in there. VCU further legitimized making the Final Four.

While I concur with you I prefer 64 to 68, if anything I'll take like 48 teams. There needs to be LESS teams not more. I don't like the idea of going to 128 teams and making the regular season even more watered down than it already is. Duke and Syracuse can still have "bad" regular seasons as it is, but make up for it in the Tournament as it is.

There was a lot less interest when #64 and #65 played. The First Four actually made it intriguing with brand names in there. VCU further legitimized making the Final Four.

While I concur with you I prefer 64 to 68, if anything I'll take like 48 teams. There needs to be LESS teams not more. I don't like the idea of going to 128 teams and making the regular season even more watered down than it already is. Duke and Syracuse can still have "bad" regular seasons as it is, but make up for it in the Tournament as it is.

I don' t think there needs to be less. 64 is just about the right number. I really don't understand the need for a play-in game though.

I don' t think there needs to be less. 64 is just about the right number. I really don't understand the need for a play-in game though.
I'm fine with 64, just saying the regular season is watered down as it is.

The "need" is this, they added another conference initially and didn't want to take away an automatic bid. Then they decided, "why not make an event out of this" with the First Four.

you guys are making some good points about the play in games. The play in for 16 is boring, but the games for that 12 seed can be good. I still don't watch them, at least the teams are decent.

you guys are making some good points about the play in games. The play in for 16 is boring, but the games for that 12 seed can be good. I still don't watch them, at least the teams are decent.

All that the play-in games prove is that there are 2 few at-large teams in the field of 64 that could replace 2 of the conference champion 16-seeds and make it a better tournament. But we already knew that. It's never been the best 64. It's the conference champs and the best 36 are selected to get us to 68.

You forgot about lasalle last year. They didnt make the final 4 like VCU did that year, but the explorers were in the sweet 16 last year.

All that the play-in games prove is that there are 2 few at-large teams in the field of 64 that could replace 2 of the conference champion 16-seeds and make it a better tournament. But we already knew that. It's never been the best 64. It's the conference champs and the best 36 are selected to get us to 68.
If you really did the best 68 and didn't automatically take conference champs, it's not as exciting of a tourney since you be getting many more brand teams instead of the schools people haven't heard of.

If you really did the best 68 and didn't automatically take conference champs, it's not as exciting of a tourney since you be getting many more brand teams instead of the schools people haven't heard of.

I agree. Tourney is fun.

I think the play-in games had to be added due to a growth in the number of D1 teams and conferences. There's a balance. It's not a good thing if a 20-win Syracuse, Kentucky, Arizona or North Carolina team is left home in a down year. Tournament loses cache along with losing a team that, despite its struggles, has the talent to win games against the field.

[video=youtube;cxyPeME9TbI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyPeME9TbI[/video]
"Watch out for Eckerd this year they have a full roster AND they're having practices."

64 was a perfect number because every team played in every round and you didn't have any "Opening Round" games or some fabricated "First Round" with 8 teams. If you're not one of the 32 top at-large teams or a conference champion then you don't deserve to get the chance to play for a national title. 64 teams was plenty, it seems like one of the big reasons they added these additional at-large spots was just so a few more coaches could say they made the big dance.

64 was a perfect number because every team played in every round and you didn't have any "Opening Round" games or some fabricated "First Round" with 8 teams. If you're not one of the 32 top at-large teams or a conference champion then you don't deserve to get the chance to play for a national title. 64 teams was plenty, it seems like one of the big reasons they added these additional at-large spots was just so a few more coaches could say they made the big dance.

Or maybe it was asked for by the networks. That would also explain why the play-in games aren't just for the 16-seed games.

Or maybe it was asked for by the networks. That would also explain why the play-in games aren't just for the 16-seed games.

I'm guessing there was alot of pressure from the coaches but yea, there's no doubt that money was a big drive, as it is in most decisions that fans don't like or aren't necessarily good for the sport. It's not just college basketball, the NFL is talking about going to 18 games and adding 2 playoff teams is all but a done deal.

68 is horrible. If you want to go big, then go big. Adding 4 to extra spots just makes for a weird, non-sensible format.

Great from a pool standpoint, it rounded off perfectly as well with no byes. More teams would've made it harder for the casual fans. Less teams would make the brackets not as exciting.

I think it actually hurts coaches with more teams making it rather than helping them. As it is, coaches are getting fired after making the tournament that year (Tubby Smith, Ben Howland).

Last edited:
68 is horrible. If you want to go big, then go big. Adding 4 to extra spots just makes for a weird, non-sensible format.
I'd rather have 68 than 96. Given the choice, I'd go back to 64 but at this point, I don't think they are taking away teams as much as adding them.

The tournament isn't as much chalk as it used to be. And at the same time, teams like Syracuse can have not so great regular seasons and make the Tournament and have a good run. If you make it anymore, it's crazy IMO. If anything not that this is going to happen, I'd make it more selective not more accessible.

Last edited:
Well, for the moment, we're still in this thing! As teams beat each other up during conference play, we shouldn't give up hope for the tourney. The pac now has the most teams with 7, which is pretty interesting.

Well, for the moment, we're still in this thing! As teams beat each other up during conference play, we shouldn't give up hope for the tourney. The pac now has the most teams with 7, which is pretty interesting.
I hope this ends any talk for expansion (which it won't), 96 teams would make the regular season even more meaningless.

Back