What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs at NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships (June 7th-10th)

The final event for the Buffs today is the women's 10000m with Makena Morley and Erin Clark which will begin in about an hour and 20 minutes

By the way, I was wondering why Ms. Boreman was running pretty hard at the end to get the win, when she obviously had the needed top 5 spot for a final qualifier sowed up by the final turn. In addition to I assume maybe want to make a statement as a freshman, there's also a possibility she had hopes of getting a 9:50 or better time (she just missed), which is the U.S. Trial standard per a letsrun.com forum poster.

It looks like a girl is seriously injured and the races will probably be pushed back a while. We're already about 10 minutes behind.

Looks like the NCAA final 10000m will not start yet as they are currently showing the men's 1500m in the decathlon. Maybe 10 minutes.

Finally the NCAA championship in the 10000m has begun for Makena Morley and Erin Clark

Looks like they start in about 4th and 12th places, but everyone bunched together

I was curious about how All-American honors are handed out. Per last year's announcement (http://www.ustfccca.org/2016/06/featured/2016-ncaa-division-i-outdoor-all-americans-announced, assume it's the same this year?)
"
Student-athletes earned First-Team USTFCCCA All-America honors by virtue of finishing among the top-8 in their events, including as a member of a relay, at this past weekend’s NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon at Historic Hayward Field.

Second-Team All-America honors go to those who finish ninth through 16th and Honorable Mention is 17th through 24th.
"

Now both Buffs are next to each other maybe around 12th but a lot of time left and everyone very close together

Looks like both Buffs are about 12th and 13th with about 15 laps to go

Still a lot of time but it doesn't seem like any of the Buffs are close

Erin Clark in 9th, and less than 2 seconds out of a scoring spot (looks like 4th through 8th are pretty close together). Hopefully as a veteran racer, she may catch some of those ahead of her, especially if they went too hard trying to keep up with the lead group of 3.

And Clark now in a group of 5 fighting for 5th through 9th place. Also, the young woman in 4th has lost the lead pack, and might go back depending on how hard she worked to keep in the lead group as long as she did.

Nice job and experience also, I'm sure, for freshman Makena Morley. Coming in with the slowest (24th) time in the event of those in the finals this year, she runs a controlled race and nabs 17th, finishing over a minute quicker than her season's best.

Article already out on the day's action-

Direct link- http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/6/8/track-and-field-clark-finishes-fifth-in-the-10k.aspx

"
QUOTES (Head Coach Mark Wetmore)
"Good run for Dani, getting through in the 1,500. She looked very smart and patient and in control. I think she has another gear in her if she needs it. But, it is a really loaded 1,500 meter finals. One of the Best ones I have ever seen, so we are excited."

"In the steeplechase, an excellent run for Madie. I think that is the fastest a freshman has ever run at Colorado and there has been some pretty good ones. She was technically very sound and stayed up in the front of the race the whole time. Lets hope she can repeat that in a couple of days and get some points for the team. Sage did not have a great day, but she had a great year. She was All-American in the fall, All-American in Indoors, apart of the National Championship relay team. And maybe getting a little bit tired at this point in the year. It is an extremely long year for any one particularly a freshman. Great year for her, we are excited about her future."

"Excellent, smart, patient run for Erin Clark. She just ran the 10,000 for the first time in her life this year, so to be fifth in the NCAA is great. A lot of people don't know that this is her hometown so a lot of fans in the stands and she got to represent Colorado and her hometown all at once. Great night for Erin. Makena, this is her first track season at this level. She learned a lot and is going to be a big one for us in the future."
"

Today's broadcast starting now on ESPN, with Ben Saarel up soon (6:42 MT) in the 1500M final. The remaining 3 Buff men are up later in the evening, all competing in the finals of the 5K run scheduled to start 8:25 MT.

Looks like a repeat of the semis when Saarel just does not have the same kick as the others and fades at the end

Race starting VERY slow. They're running the same pace the women did in last night's 10K. Among the Buffs, Zach Perrin showed the best kick at the Pac 12 Championships, so might be the best chance for a high Buff finish if the slow pace continues. (Favorites are runners from Syracuse, Stanford, and I believe the winner of the 10K from Tulsa.)

Looks like pace has picked up a lot in the prior 2 laps, and then the last one was another 3 seconds faster. Now they're racing. Although, no racers dropped from the lead pack yet.

Back