What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs vs TCU - Sept 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW here's an off-the-wall piece from Arkansas on the QB Morris & Kendal Briles and their early goings-on with the Arkie program. A very good, if somewhat inbred recent history with a look towards their potential (?) at TCU.

Last edited:
FWIW here's an off-the-wall piece from Arkansas on the QB Morris & Kendall Briles and their early goings-on with the Arkie program. A very good, if somewhat inbred recent history with a look towards their potential (?) at TCU.

I’m ready. and I feel like it will be “glorious”

FWIW here's an off-the-wall piece from Arkansas on the QB Morris & Kendal Briles and their early goings-on with the Arkie program. A very good, if somewhat inbred recent history with a look towards their potential (?) at TCU.

As someone who was a Miami fan till Prime went to JSU, I can say Dan Enos is a terrible OC but he does have a nice scheme to prep you for the NFL. That said, man, the pro style scheme in the SEC, unless you got a surefire OL and good group of weapons and a running game beyond the QB, it's hard to consistently produce in this scheme at this level. This isn't the NFL where you got a lot of time for planning.

As for Kendal Briles. I've been listening to his presser with TCU. I don't get the feeling he's as confident about Chandler as Sonny is. He should be good in the scheme. He fits the scheme. But he can't throw in a tight window, his best game against Baylor was nothing but average difficulty throws and the only catch that was massive was in double coverage where Quinton Johnson made a 1 handed catch. Baylor secondary was beyond abysmal that game in particular and till that point of the season as well.

He couldn't produce against Kansas State, OSU which could be excused due to sudden coaching change and Colorado last year.

That said, he's smart, accurate, fairly quick and has solid elusiveness. Arm strength is below average but he can make all of the throws for this college scheme. Good decision maker, I don't see many bad risky passes. Gets antsy around a pass rush and bail out of the pocket quickly. His confidence can wane. Doesn't seem to handle getting hit well due to frame.

I don't see much leadership but that can change at this age anytime. While Morris fits this scheme more than Duggan, Duggan is just a better player and that's the issue with Morris. Is he a good college passer, yes but is he a good college player, idk. Solid, close to good. That said, Colorado will give Morris a tough time.

They seem to have all of the things Morris hasn't played well against yet. Good at maintaining tight coverage, good pass rush, and a team that has tremendous speed. He's struggled against speed thus far. That said, Colorado also has 5 defensive players who can get a pick and take it to the house in Sanders, Woods, McClain, Ward, and Hunter. So it's not a good thing for Morris to get behind as it can get ugly real quick.

I've been watching this team and NU closely and I can say TCU is a more deep team with less weaknesses than last year. The issue is, who's that star outside of Josh Newton and Johnny Hodges.

I truly think TCU could be a better team than last year and be much worse record wise. Duggan's leadership, Intangibles, playmaking, and scheme fit in game with Riley was so good and of course Quinton Johnson was a superstar in that scheme as well Kendre Miller.

This year, the outside WRs are a question. The running game is a question. While the OL is a question, I like 3 of the 5 OLmen on the squad. Defensively, they should be better than last year but the pass rush is bad which wasn't the case last year. It's going to be interesting in Fort Worth. I am probably more down on them since I've been closely following them than I would be normally where I wouldn't have them on my radar.

TCU will be blown out by Colorado. I am very confident in that take.

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

If we blow them out the hype train will be runaway freight train level. The media and social media will be filled with Buffs talk and analysis.
This team is a lot better than they were in the spring. They hit on key transfers. Spring guys got better in the summer. Shedeur took a leap. The secondary got massively better. That's the biggest growth area and we knew that because of recruiting the portal but they are actually good too. Shilo improvement mentally is night and day from JSU. The CBs are a problem. Their length is a problem.

Depth at LB and Interior DL is the issue long term with this team. Offensively, this could be one of the best teams in many years. They really hit on Javon, Weaver, and Horn Jr. Especially Antonio. They could have gotten Hooks and that would have been seen as a better signing but Hooks is nowhere near as good as Antonio. I heard Colorado has actual scouts on staff to study college film and based on the players they signed. I can see it.

I've said this before, the players Deion signs in the Spring is what makes his teams good even if it's the Fall guys that get the headlines.

Underestimated is what coach Mo did again. He had nothing to work with at JSU and turned several guys with slim NFL hopes into NFL draft picks and Senior Bowl players. With CU resources, he might just shock everyone. People really underestimate how many players developed at Jackson State in year 2.

This team is much better than people think and the scouts are talking about Colorado too. That's not what happens with any 3.5 win teams. Those type of teams are lucky to have 1 NFL prospect unless they are in the SEC where competition is insane and even then, those teams are rarely if ever 3.5 type of teams.

Vegas and others watched the Spring game where Harrison was starting with WRs like Mathis, MLC, and Hunter and Bleelove was CB1 and was like, this team is ass. Beasley was getting cooked as CB2. It was just a lot that went wrong and that's all people can think about with Colorado. That's why you have guys from TCU saying they will beat Colorado and Nichols State the same. They aren't realizing that Deion got rid of players they signed in the FALL. This is not the same team. Even the same players aren't the same players like Tank, Ham, Harrison, Woods, and Main as last year.

#1 giving me confidence to go talk all the **** to my high school friends
It's better to let them be shocked. Think about it like this. Have you paid any attention to USC this offseason beside Caleb NFL prospectus? Likely no. There are 100+ teams, unless I am covering CU, a diehard CU stan or Prime stan, there is literally no reason you should think this team will be more than up and down this year. The spring game was bad and 71 new players seems like too much if I didn't follow JSU with Prime.

Just common sense to be honest but they will learn soon enough.

Look at this year squad in terms of upperclassmen. It's more than half the team. Last year, it was 1/4 the team based on @Buffnik roster thread last year and some of those guys sucked at this level. Majority of the squad was 3 star true freshman and you wonder why they were blown out in majority of games and thankfully won a game.

The transfer portal changed the game. TCU is proof of that. The first transfer portal team to make the playoff. Mel Tucker and Michigan State was the first with Prime in the FCS to massively improve via the transfer portal in 2021. Colorado is the transfer portal dream team. It's going to be fun and likely this will be the last big transfer portal makeover. The rules change to 30 scholarship players again in 2024-25.

It's hard to say how good this team will be. They can literally beat anyone. There is no team they cannot beat this year. That doesn't mean they will, just that they can. Coaching, confidence, execution, and talent will dictate that. But CU has the one thing you must have to win in modern college football and that's the quarterback.

It's better to let them be shocked. Think about it like this. Have you paid any attention to USC this offseason beside Caleb NFL prospectus? Likely no. There are 100+ teams, unless I am covering CU, a diehard CU stan or Prime stan, there is literally no reason you should think this team will be more than up and down this year. The spring game was bad and 71 new players seems like too much if I didn't follow JSU with Prime.

Look at this year squad in terms of upperclassmen. It's more than half the team. Last year, it was 1/4 the team based on @Buffnik roster thread last year and some of those guys sucked at this level. Majority of the squad was 3 star true freshman and you wonder why they were blown out in majority of games and thankfully won a game.

The transfer portal changed the game. TCU is proof of that. The first transfer portal team to make the playoff. Mel Tucker and Michigan State was the first with Prime in the FCS to massively improve via the transfer portal in 2021. Colorado is the transfer portal dream team. It's going to be fun and likely this will be the last big transfer portal makeover. The rules change to 30 scholarship players again in 2024-25.

It's hard to say how good this team will be. They can literally beat anyone. There is no team they cannot beat this year. That doesn't mean they will, just that they can. Coaching, confidence, execution, and talent will dictate that. But CU has the one thing you must have to win in modern college football and that's the quarterback.
And culture!

DimpledMediocreClam-size_restricted.gif

TCU a better team than last year?
They have more depth which was long term issue for them last year.

They have no special players outside of Josh Newton and of course they expect Johnny Hodges to be special. Last year, they had nearly as many special players as UGA with Quentin, Max, Kendre, Avila, and Tomlinson. This year, it's just one guy and he's looking Day 2 at best. They just don't have the horses this year. Studs and a special QB matter more than depth but if you got all of it like UGA did last year, you will generally win it all.

TCU is simply missing studs and a special QB.

In college football, legit teams have a

A. Special QB
B. Studs, special players
C. Depth
D. Speed and length to create turnovers on defense. The best have this plus size like UGA and Bama.

This is the basics.

As someone who was a Miami fan till Prime went to JSU, I can say Dan Enos is a terrible OC but he does have a nice scheme to prep you for the NFL. That said, man, the pro style scheme in the SEC, unless you got a surefire OL and good group of weapons and a running game beyond the QB, it's hard to consistently produce in this scheme at this level. This isn't the NFL where you got a lot of time for planning.

As for Kendal Briles. I've been listening to his presser with TCU. I don't get the feeling he's as confident about Chandler as Sonny is. He should be good in the scheme. He fits the scheme. But he can't throw in a tight window, his best game against Baylor was nothing but average difficulty throws and the only catch that was massive was in double coverage where Quinton Johnson made a 1 handed catch. Baylor secondary was beyond abysmal that game in particular and till that point of the season as well.

He couldn't produce against Kansas State, OSU which could be excused due to sudden coaching change and Colorado last year.

That said, he's smart, accurate, fairly quick and has solid elusiveness. Arm strength is below average but he can make all of the throws for this college scheme. Good decision maker, I don't see many bad risky passes. Gets antsy around a pass rush and bail out of the pocket quickly. His confidence can wane. Doesn't seem to handle getting hit well due to frame.

I don't see much leadership but that can change at this age anytime. While Morris fits this scheme more than Duggan, Duggan is just a better player and that's the issue with Morris. Is he a good college passer, yes but is he a good college player, idk. Solid, close to good. That said, Colorado will give Morris a tough time.

They seem to have all of the things Morris hasn't played well against yet. Good at maintaining tight coverage, good pass rush, and a team that has tremendous speed. He's struggled against speed thus far. That said, Colorado also has 5 defensive players who can get a pick and take it to the house in Sanders, Woods, McClain, Ward, and Hunter. So it's not a good thing for Morris to get behind as it can get ugly real quick.

I've been watching this team and NU closely and I can say TCU is a more deep team with less weaknesses than last year. The issue is, who's that star outside of Josh Newton and Johnny Hodges.

I truly think TCU could be a better team than last year and be much worse record wise. Duggan's leadership, Intangibles, playmaking, and scheme fit in game with Riley was so good and of course Quinton Johnson was a superstar in that scheme as well Kendre Miller.

This year, the outside WRs are a question. The running game is a question. While the OL is a question, I like 3 of the 5 OLmen on the squad. Defensively, they should be better than last year but the pass rush is bad which wasn't the case last year. It's going to be interesting in Fort Worth. I am probably more down on them since I've been closely following them than I would be normally where I wouldn't have them on my radar.

I am feeling it. Been feeling this for a while. CU becomes the story of week 1. Go Buffs!

I agree with all of this. But, I also know we're probably not sneaking up on TCU at this point and the game is in Ft. Worth. I'm very confident it will be a one score game. I just hope we get some breaks on the road.

I agree with all of this. But, I also know we're probably not sneaking up on TCU at this point and the game is in Ft. Worth. I'm very confident it will be a one score game. I just hope we get some breaks on the road.
We aren’t sneaking up on anyone simply because of the hype machine. In fact, I’d bet most programs have our game circled for the sole reason that they want to shut us up.

The difference is that teams can scout the individual players like Shedeur, Travis, Shilo, Woods, Dominek, Horn, Weaver, etc and scout Lewis’ offense and Kelly’s defense, but none of it really matter because nobody really knows what we’re going to put out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back