What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

It's ironic.
The Office Television GIF by hero0fwar

I have long hated that base level upgrades and improvements are delivered to the fan base as heroic efforts. Upgrading from an eighties worthy scoreboard to improved but not cutting edge boards was in my mind long overdue not a leap forward.
Performing a decade overdue sound system replacement feels the same. Anything will be better than nothing, but bragging about it instead of just adding it to a press release next year before the season is one of those little flags that drives me nuts. Its like an employee asking for a promotion and pointing out that they show up every day as the reason they deserve it.

Dal Ward, East Club, Champions Center, IPF are different. Those and eventual expansion/renovation/replacement of Balch are worth of chest thumping and targeted fundraising or investment.

The difference may be nit picky on my part, granted, but reeks of an organization trying to manufacture PR wins. (Not the kind I'm looking for).

I'm 100% opposed to men's room upgrades. Troughs are part of the GameDay experience, FFS!!!

If there was reason to believe male BMDs we're skipping games because their wives didn't like the female facilities, then upgrade those... but I don't buy that. BMDs are sitting in the clubs already.

And yes, if you're a shy bladder dude, I'm judging you.

Lights for night games. Beer at the stadium. Enhanced tailgating with the new practice field & IPF. New scoreboard. Rooftop terrace. End zone loge boxes.

None of those things matter to you?

I think they've been huge, but they fall short because we were just so far behind. Things like Balch, bathrooms, concessions, sound system and really the entire west side (especially what they try to call club seating there) are an absolute embarrassment that make the only reason to go to a game at Folsom with the entire family to see a winning team. That, plus the view of the Flatirons and seeing Ralphie run.

I'd go to games if we were playing in a rock quarry and it was BYOB with no sound, scoreboard or food service. But I couldn't get my family excited to go to that.
Most kids get bored with a football game after 10 minutes. Nicer toilets may make a difference for your wife, but I don't buy anything except focused kids stuff (a.la. minor league baseball games) will move the needle for kids.

Compared to? CSU now has a better game day experience for fans than CU does.
Most exciting post ITT. I'm pissed i haven't been yet. Other than stadium newness, what makes the GameDay experience better at Canvas?

I’m upset that we can’t get out from underneath this staff, yes, but hey, I’m sure looking forward to pissing in an actual urinal soon. #smallvictories
**** your urinal.

No but I know people who prefer to watch on tv because the gameday experience at Folsom isn’t great - you can’t hear the referee calls, the music is awful, the bathrooms are like a prison, food and drink lines are long, the WiFi sucks. That stuff matters to people, especially wives, kids, and casual fans whose dollars this program would love to see spent on the program. Diehards don’t care about the sound system, but we need more than diehard fan dollars.
Bull****! The WiFi is way better!

The funds that are about to go to a new sound system, and in the near future, the bathrooms and west side renovation project.
The funds that are about to go to a new sound system, and in the near future, the bathrooms and west side renovation project.
Maybe those funds are University capital improvement funds that are earmarked only for capital improvements? It appears that the AD will have an $18 million shortfall this year due to lost revenue. But, I have no idea how the budget process works there.

Maybe those funds are University capital improvement funds that are earmarked only for capital improvements? It appears that the AD will have an $18 million shortfall this year due to lost revenue. But, I have no idea how the budget process works there.
18 mill short fall? Well, I did buy a few Buffs items this weekend, so surely that made a push to get back into the black!

Because I don't think we're fvcked overall.

We're fvcked in terms of the time we have to give KD. That's it.

There are a ton of things that can be done in the next 2 years to make it so KD has more success and so that the next coach is walking into a good situation.
The problem is the number of fans that will be lost the next few years.

Everyone knows it takes more to win a new customer than keep a current one.

But if I remember the numbers right, it takes even more to win back a former customer. Especially when that customer left, not because a competitor offered a great deal, but because they were disgruntled with you.

I don't even know the score of yesterday's game. I'm assuming we got killed and I made the right call by spending the day doing something else entirely.

I'm planning the next month of weekends right now. Normally, I'd look at the schedule and anticipated kickoff times.

You know what? I don't care. I'm not watching another minute of a KD coached team. It's just not worth it; I really do have better things to do.

After 2 years of doing something else with my fall Fridays, do you really think I'll come back with a new coach that's in a full on rebuilding project?

How many years before CU will put a product on the field that's good enough to get me, and the other fans like me back?

But if I remember the numbers right, it takes even more to win back a former customer. Especially when that customer left, not because a competitor offered a great deal, but because they were disgruntled with you.

I don't even know the score of yesterday's game. I'm assuming we got killed and I made the right call by spending the day doing something else entirely.

I'm planning the next month of weekends right now. Normally, I'd look at the schedule and anticipated kickoff times.

You know what? I don't care. I'm not watching another minute of a KD coached team. It's just not worth it; I really do have better things to do.

After 2 years of doing something else with my fall Fridays, do you really think I'll come back with a new coach that's in a full on rebuilding project?

How many years before CU will put a product on the field that's good enough to get me, and the other fans like me back?

Might a new sound system entice you?

They took a loan from the Pac 12 to pay for that shortfall

Reactions: DBT

I'd guess 10...if they get on it right away.

I don't think firing Rick George is going to fix the issues. The problems go far deeper and are almost embedded into the culture at CU. CU on the academic side of things has always been uncomfortable with any emphasis on athletic success. Moving to the PAC 12 was really a nail in the coffin for major athletics. We kept hearing the PAC 12 schools were more like CU than the Big 12 Schools, and that was very true. Unfortunately, football fans wanted CU to really be like Texas and USC and not like Cal and Stanford. The reality is the PAC 12 schools do not have the emphasis on football success like many other conferences, of course there are exceptions like Oregon who is being pushed by a multi-billionaire booster and USC who has a rich tradition going back a almost a hundred years.

Rick George is a better AD then Mike Bohn although I think he realizes that Athletics are never going to get the support or emphasis from the University at large. When Mike MacIntyre ended up being hired, several coaching candidates were approached but declined to be interviewed letting it be known they felt that CU was too difficult to win at. When Mel Tucker was finishing his first season at CU he let it be known that he thought he would have more support at CU then he was getting.

Rick George hired the right kind of guy when he hired Tucker but unfortunately it was not the right guy - or he was the right guy who knew CU was not the right place.
Of course, no one could have foreseen the mess that Larry Scott would make of the Conference which has had a negative impact on all of the schools in the conference. With poor TV exposure PAC 12 recruiting has taken a hit, SEC schools are now going into LA and plucking players that would have been a USC lock.

You can fire Rick George but until you have Big 10 or SEC type of emphasis on football within the University, not much is going to change, IMO.

I don't think firing Rick George is going to fix the issues. The problems go far deeper and are almost embedded into the culture at CU. CU on the academic side of things has always been uncomfortable with any emphasis on athletic success. Moving to the PAC 12 was really a nail in the coffin for major athletics. We kept hearing the PAC 12 schools were more like CU than the Big 12 Schools, and that was very true. Unfortunately, football fans wanted CU to really be like Texas and USC and not like Cal and Stanford. The reality is the PAC 12 schools do not have the emphasis on football success like many other conferences, of course there are exceptions like Oregon who is being pushed by a multi-billionaire booster and USC who has a rich tradition going back a almost a hundred years.

Rick George is a better AD then Mike Bohn although I think he realizes that Athletics are never going to get the support or emphasis from the University at large. When Mike MacIntyre ended up being hired, several coaching candidates were approached but declined to be interviewed letting it be known they felt that CU was too difficult to win at. When Mel Tucker was finishing his first season at CU he let it be known that he thought he would have more support at CU then he was getting.

Rick George hired the right kind of guy when he hired Tucker but unfortunately it was not the right guy - or he was the right guy who knew CU was not the right place.
Of course, no one could have foreseen the mess that Larry Scott would make of the Conference which has had a negative impact on all of the schools in the conference. With poor TV exposure PAC 12 recruiting has taken a hit, SEC schools are now going into LA and plucking players that would have been a USC lock.

You can fire Rick George but until you have Big 10 or SEC type of emphasis on football within the University, not much is going to change, IMO.
Well said BnG.

RG could go.
Who would replace him and regardless of who that person is would it make a bit of difference?

No AD candidate can change the fact that a head coach candidate can sit across the table from them, read a prohibitive buyout number for another school or conversely read that they can be personally bought out for a tiny fraction of their salary by CU, and laugh their asses off.

I too think RG found the right type of guy in MT - clearly the success mocks us all from East Lansing. Problem seems to me, and I am guessing RG is more savvy than I am at this stuff, he can't get those 'right guy' types to come here on contracts that prevent him from having to sit at booster dinners with sources telling him those right guys are about to jump ship and lying through their teeth to the donors.

Would somebody else be better suited to making that happen? Maybe, but then perhaps they already have jobs at places like Michigan St.

now I feel better.

Is it Hoops season for real yet?

RG is totally fine if he could just negotiate his way out of a paper sack. It's really my only complaint about him, but it's a substantially serious problem.

This is all true, IMO.

The only hope that I have is that the next president hire is a strong proponent of successful athletics as a marketing vehicle. It's not a very big hope though.

i like this. I’ve done a good amount of thinking on this. At this point, the glaring issue isn’t getting the right coach, the right recruits, etc. CU had who ended up being a hot ticket coach. If the resources aren’t there, the go-ahead to make the program into the vision of what coach expects isn’t there, if the admin support isn’t there…then the program won’t be successful. In the end, RG probably didn’t want to have to go through getting another contract reviewed and approved any time soon. Through the bags of cash at a guy that is safe, and won’t be poached, until a vision/plan can be hatched and implemented as soon as KD’s contract is up.

Maybe something would happen to get KD an extension of 1-year, but the whole guaranteed pay is wiped out for a nominal buyout? Then at the first sign of being back to suck, hail a cab to send Dorrell back to his house in Boulder. I think I have a better shot at the Powerball jackpot…

RG is totally fine if he could just negotiate his way out of a paper sack. It's really my only complaint about him, but it's a substantially serious problem.
I totally agree about the contracts. CU seems to think that you need to pay big money for the title, i.e., if you are hired as a DC you need to be paid like a a top DC in the country. This mentality really took hold under MacIntrye and seems to be alive and well in the AD today. There is no accountability on hiring in the football program otherwise Rod would never have been allowed to be hired at a P5 program as OL coach.

I totally agree about the contracts. CU seems to think that you need to pay big money for the title, i.e., if you are hired as a DC you need to be paid like a a top DC in the country. This mentality really took hold under MacIntrye and seems to be alive and well in the AD today. There is no accountability on hiring in the football program otherwise Rod would never have been allowed to be hired at a P5 program as OL coach.
I think there’s some truth to this (ie Rodrigue), but I don’t really agree with the coordinator stuff. Chev and Wilson make $550-$600k, which puts them at like 150th or lower in the country for assistant coach salaries. CU pays middle of the road or below average for their coordinators.

BnG said it well, until the admin. is on board, it won't make any difference. Add in the insanity of hiring HCKD and guaranteeing it, and there isn't much hope.

Back