What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I don't think firing Rick George is going to fix the issues. The problems go far deeper and are almost embedded into the culture at CU. CU on the academic side of things has always been uncomfortable with any emphasis on athletic success. Moving to the PAC 12 was really a nail in the coffin for major athletics. We kept hearing the PAC 12 schools were more like CU than the Big 12 Schools, and that was very true. Unfortunately, football fans wanted CU to really be like Texas and USC and not like Cal and Stanford. The reality is the PAC 12 schools do not have the emphasis on football success like many other conferences, of course there are exceptions like Oregon who is being pushed by a multi-billionaire booster and USC who has a rich tradition going back a almost a hundred years.

Rick George is a better AD then Mike Bohn although I think he realizes that Athletics are never going to get the support or emphasis from the University at large. When Mike MacIntyre ended up being hired, several coaching candidates were approached but declined to be interviewed letting it be known they felt that CU was too difficult to win at. When Mel Tucker was finishing his first season at CU he let it be known that he thought he would have more support at CU then he was getting.

Rick George hired the right kind of guy when he hired Tucker but unfortunately it was not the right guy - or he was the right guy who knew CU was not the right place.
Of course, no one could have foreseen the mess that Larry Scott would make of the Conference which has had a negative impact on all of the schools in the conference. With poor TV exposure PAC 12 recruiting has taken a hit, SEC schools are now going into LA and plucking players that would have been a USC lock.

You can fire Rick George but until you have Big 10 or SEC type of emphasis on football within the University, not much is going to change, IMO.

This hits the nail on the head. We all know it was no coincidence that the football program took off under Gee.

This hits the nail on the head. We all know it was no coincidence that the football program took off under Gee.
I’d actually say the opposite: it was a total coincidence that we happened to get a President, Chancellor, AD and head coach with aligned goals and ideals all at the same place at the same time.

It wasn't a coincidence that the president advocated for a strong program and the rest did as well.
Bingo. Football was back then huge national marketing that you were compensated for. Promotions far better than spending advertising dollars on. I knew of CU in HS by word of mouth. But the peaking football program contributed to my decision.

Today, in the age of the internet and streaming services, less kids are watching college football because less of it is on broadcast TV. And theres just a better show to watch than 4 hours of stop and start with a bunch of commercials. And the internet and college selection web services now puts every school right at kids fingertips.

Last edited:
Here is why we have and are stuck with HCDH, HCMM, HCKD;

Rick George is a better AD then Mike Bohn although I think he realizes that Athletics are never going to get the support or emphasis from the University at large. When Mike MacIntyre ended up being hired, several coaching candidates were approached but declined to be interviewed letting it be known they felt that CU was too difficult to win at. When Mel Tucker was finishing his first season at CU he let it be known that he thought he would have more support at CU then he was getting.

Rick George hired the right kind of guy when he hired Tucker but unfortunately it was not....

CU doesnt get the exposure it used to from Athletics vis-a-vis attracting new students to pay the bills.

Alums, many who complain incessantly here, also dont give enough to CU at large to make it worth it to loosen standards just to make some old half drunk fans happy.

CU was burned reputationaly on a national level by the scandal that wasnt a scandal. There were other events over the years that were not nationally embarrassing but were a black eye none the less. Alabama, the SEC at large, get away with things in the name of football that would never be allowed here. The NCAA has become a toothless governing body. If there were standards that applied to all programs that leveled the playing field we probably wouldnt be where we are in the pecking order of today. Wouldnt have as hard a time attracting and keeping coaches. But because we actually have some standards were stuck.

Here is why we have and are stuck with HCDH, HCMM, HCKD;

CU doesnt get the exposure it used to from Athletics vis-a-vis attracting new students to pay the bills.

Alums, many who complain incessantly here, also dont give enough to CU at large to make it worth it to loosen standards just to make some old half drunk fans happy.

CU was burned reputationaly on a national level by the scandal that wasnt a scandal. There were other events over the years that were not nationally embarrassing but were a black eye none the less. Alabama, the SEC at large, get away with things in the name of football that would never be allowed here. The NCAA has become a toothless governing body. If there were standards that applied to all programs that leveled the playing field we probably wouldnt be where we are in the pecking order of today. Wouldnt have as hard a time attracting and keeping coaches. But because we actually have some standards were stuck.
Miami I usually like your takes but I don't buy this take. I think your meds are off or your account was hacked.

I have no idea why you quoted my post which was focused on the lack of administrative support and then went off on a wayward tangent.

Attracting students has nothing to do with it - CU has full enrollment (not sure of the present covid impacts) so no need to attract more financially. But successful athletics can help in Brand awareness which can result in increased donations, endowments, etc.

The Scandal is old news, but I would point out that Michigan State went through a far bigger scandal and still poached our coach. I am trying to understand which standards you are talking about that is putting CU at a disadvantage - distain for athletics is not a standard.

The cheap shot at alums on this board for not donating is uncalled for and frankly beneath you.

So they can have no passion for the job or school and leave when the next best job comes along.

Or we could stop being like the British monarchy and get rid of the inbreeding.

People leaving your organization for better jobs is GOOD. That means they did something right. You want to build that and nurture it. Otherwise you end up with an organization of Plati’s.

Burn it all down.

Yeah, that mentality is like being the guy at the bar who won't hit on the hottest girl in there, or even a decent looking one, for fear of her leaving them. So they pick an ugly, insecure one who they know won't leave them. Even if the hot girl does leave you, other hot girls see that you are dating hot girls and they are much more likely to date you. It gets your foot in the door with the hot girl tier.

I bet Goose hit on hot chics at the bar.

Any time I hear a manager or peer say they are afraid to hire someone for fear they'll leave, I immediately know I don't want to work for them, or at least not for very long. Most of the highest contributors within the pareto distribution are the types who aren't afraid to hit on the hot chic at the bar.

Yeah, that mentality is like being the guy at the bar who won't hit on the hottest girl in there, or even a decent looking one, for fear of her leaving them. So they pick an ugly, insecure one who they know won't leave them. Even if the hot girl does leave you, other hot girls see that you are dating hot girls and they are much more likely to date you. It gets your foot in the door with the hot girl tier.

I bet Goose hit on hot chics at the bar.

Any time I hear a manager or peer say they are afraid to hire someone for fear they'll leave, I immediately know I don't want to work for them, or at least not for very long. Most of the highest contributors within the pareto distribution are the types who aren't afraid to hit on the hot chic at the bar.
Never hit on the hottest. She expects it as her due. Hit on one of her good looking friends instead. The friend is probably someone you'll like better and odds are the alpha hottie will throw herself at you anyway because she can't stand not being the center of attention.

(Relating this to coaches, this means going after the right fit instead of the hyped flavor of the year. Hyped guy's agent will reach out to you to use you to leverage a deal with some other sucker while you go with the better option.)

Last edited:
Is there a reason Rick George made a complete 180 from hiring a guy that placed an emphasis on recruiting to hiring a guy that cares about being a teacher and recruiting the "right fit" kind of guys?

It seems pretty clear to everyone (including RG circa 2018) that good recruiting leads to success.

I get the feeling that something happened and he no longer believes or cares about CU football being successful. There are certainly many reasons why it is tough to win here but hiring Karl Dorrell was Rick George's decision and it seems like acquiescence of defeat.

Is there a reason Rick George made a complete 180 from hiring a guy that placed an emphasis on recruiting to hiring a guy that cares about being a teacher and recruiting the "right fit" kind of guys?

It seems pretty clear to everyone (including RG circa 2018) that good recruiting leads to success.

I get the feeling that something happened and he no longer believes or cares about CU football being successful. There are certainly many reasons why it is tough to win here but hiring Karl Dorrell was Rick George's decision and it seems like acquiescence of defeat.
Well, it seems there are three basic theories people have thrown out. I doubt we'll ever really know, but,

1. RG was whacked on meds following his back surgery. This seems very unlikely to me. He does have a staff, and it isn't like he is in line at Burger King, and on a whim, broke character and ordered onion rings instead of fries.

2. The "a funny thing happened on the way to Folsom" theory. RG found out through the Melvin departure, and attempts to replace with a similar "hot" coach, that the administration was not going to give him the tools to get, and retain, anybody who actually wanted to pursue excellence, and all that entails. So, he decided to go with the flow of sub-mediocrity and just hired somebody.

3. The panic hire theory. RG went big game hunting after Melvin bailed, and struck out. I add LC into this theory as the guy who suggested his buddy/acquaintance? to RG as a "true Buff" who would never give him up, never let him down, never run around and desert him. So, like the guy who whiffs on two hotties for a date to the Prom, he panics and asks the chubby girl from his homeroom class to go. I really don't know how tight LC is to KD, but it looks like the "safe" choice became very appealing.

Personally, I think it was 2 or 3, or some combination thereof. I agree with you, it seems very odd given KD's recruiting challenges at UCLA, and RG being around when Mac was recruiting like a house a fire, and winning because of it. Everybody wants the Buffs to get on track and at the very least become a regular bowl team ( I mean, is going .500 really that hard?). I was very unenthused when they hired HCKD. He struck me as a retread with not much in the way of a record of success to point to. Add in he struggles at what CU needs most, recruiting, it is hard to see how this works.

So far, CU had a team perennially on the cusp of bowl eligibility, just needing one more win to meet that depressingly low measure of success, and the needle is going the wrong way. 2020 was an outlier, the wins over UCLA and Stanford were nice, and full credit should be given. But since then, CU has four wins, two against quite possibly the worst P5 team in Arizona, a FCS school and a G5 school. Mix in a few lopsided beatdowns and a manhandling by what will likely end up being the number 9 or 10 team in the P12, Cal and there really isn't a lot to look forward to. CU has, since the inception of the P12 been the doormat. Bottom of the barrel.

RG and LC very well may have buried CU FB for the foreseeable future with this hire.

Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:

Definitely a weird 180 done with this. Not just on the long-term stability consideration, which we've discussed a lot. But the recruiting approach, too.

Especially weird since RG's first move to replace MT was to try to land Sark, who is known as one of the top recruiters for the west coast (and the best for QBs).

Not landing him leading to KD definitely hurt KD in terms of our reaction to him. It was so out of left field vs the profile that had been established under RG that it felt like him giving up. How did we go from making moves for candidates like Ryan Day (may have hired him over Tucker if Urban hadn't suddenly retired from tOSU), Mel Tucker and Steve Sarkisian -- to Karl Dorrell? One of these things is not like the others.

With recruiting, I do believe there was a lot going on in terms of RG realizing through his MT experience and his interviews with similar candidates what someone who has been a part of an elite recruiting organization would want to do and expect in support wasn't aligned with what is going to be possible at CU. I think there was a lot of RG accepting a reality with the KD hire instead of wanting to push and fight to move or remove boundaries.

Definitely a weird 180 done with this. Not just on the long-term stability consideration, which we've discussed a lot. But the recruiting approach, too.

Especially weird since RG's first move to replace MT was to try to land Sark, who is known as one of the top recruiters for the west coast (and the best for QBs).

Not landing him leading to KD definitely hurt KD in terms of our reaction to him. It was so out of left field vs the profile that had been established under RG that it felt like him giving up. How did we go from making moves for candidates like Ryan Day (may have hired him over Tucker if Urban hadn't suddenly retired from tOSU), Mel Tucker and Steve Sarkisian -- to Karl Dorrell? One of these things is not like the others.

With recruiting, I do believe there was a lot going on in terms of RG realizing through his MT experience and his interviews with similar candidates what someone who has been a part of an elite recruiting organization would want to do and expect in support wasn't aligned with what is going to be possible at CU. I think there was a lot of RG accepting a reality with the KD hire instead of wanting to push and fight to move or remove boundaries.
Gold.

STOP 👏
SUPPORTING👏
HIRES 👏
WHOSE 👏
PRIMARY 👏
QUALIFICATION👏
IS 👏
THAT 👏
THEY 👏
USED 👏
TO 👏
BE 👏
A 👏
BUFF👏
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Anyone attend the RG call with Buff Club members? There's a thread on it over on 247. It seemed to consist of RG being upset at the criticisms he and KD are getting on social media and reiterating that KD is THE GUY (won't be fired, is super bummed about the losing). Apparently also mentioned that the rest of the season will build on the success at Oregon (the game CU lost by 23).

Seriously, **** him. Clean house.

Anyone attend the RG call with Buff Club members? There's a thread on it over on 247. It seemed to consist of RG being upset at the criticisms he and KD are getting on social media and reiterating that KD is THE GUY (won't be fired, is super bummed about the losing). Apparently also mentioned that the rest of the season will build on the success at Oregon (the game CU lost by 23).

Well, he and I have a different definition of success, I guess. But, realistically, what is he going to say? He threw a mountain of money at HCKD, guaranteed it and is now attached at the hip. HCKD has to succeed because he left himself no plan B. In a way, I feel bad for him, but if a bunch of nobodies on a message board saw it coming, why couldn't he?

I don't think firing Rick George is going to fix the issues. The problems go far deeper and are almost embedded into the culture at CU. CU on the academic side of things has always been uncomfortable with any emphasis on athletic success. Moving to the PAC 12 was really a nail in the coffin for major athletics. We kept hearing the PAC 12 schools were more like CU than the Big 12 Schools, and that was very true. Unfortunately, football fans wanted CU to really be like Texas and USC and not like Cal and Stanford. The reality is the PAC 12 schools do not have the emphasis on football success like many other conferences, of course there are exceptions like Oregon who is being pushed by a multi-billionaire booster and USC who has a rich tradition going back a almost a hundred years.

Rick George hired the right kind of guy when he hired Tucker but unfortunately it was not the right guy - or he was the right guy who knew CU was not the right place.
Of course, no one could have foreseen the mess that Larry Scott would make of the Conference which has had a negative impact on all of the schools in the conference. With poor TV exposure PAC 12 recruiting has taken a hit, SEC schools are now going into LA and plucking players that would have been a USC lock.

You can fire Rick George but until you have Big 10 or SEC type of emphasis on football within the University, not much is going to change, IMO.
Moving to the Mountain West would solve all these issues. We'd be a big fish in a small pond - #1 academically, competing (and likely winning) championships in every sport and there wouldn't need to be as much emphasis on maintaining a certain level of funding and resources which would keep the academics happy. Winning across the board.

And yeah, I'm kinda serious.

Well, he and I have a different definition of success, I guess. But, realistically, what is he going to say? He threw a mountain of money at HCKD, guaranteed it and is now attached at the hip. HCKD has to succeed because he left himself no plan B. In a way, I feel bad for him, but if a bunch of nobodies on a message board saw it coming, why couldn't he?
I don't feel the least bit bad for anyone involved with the football program right now, especially Rick George. As you said, everyone else knew this was going to be a disaster, so there really aren't any excuses, and there's zero logic behind handing him the contract he did. Like, there is literally no reason for it.

This really ****ing pisses me off. It's one thing to make a mistake on a hire. It's one thing to not want to throw anyone under the bus. It's an entirely different thing to expect blind loyalty and be vocal against criticisms you're receiving and celebrate a 23 point loss/"moral victory" where Oregon pretty much coasted. I don't expect him to publicly own his mistake, but this 100% shows that he's unwilling to accept it himself. He's out of touch. He thinks he was right, or that everyone that criticizes him isn't on his level enough to think that it was a mistake.

**** him. What a CU nt. I think we should have a thread where we rotate people sending him a **** email daily until one of the following happens: 1) the end of time or 2) when he fires Dorrell. I'm guessing it'll be 1.

I’ve become convinced, the problem is DiStefano. He’s the one that has to go and the hiring of the Boulder Chancellor will be the most important hire CU has made in decades. The new Chancellor has to recognize the importance of athletics to the reputation and prestige of the Boulder campus.

Last edited:
Moving to the Mountain West would solve all these issues. We'd be a big fish in a small pond - #1 academically, competing (and likely winning) championships in every sport and there wouldn't need to be as much emphasis on maintaining a certain level of funding and resources which would keep the academics happy. Winning across the board.

And yeah, I'm kinda serious.
If there could be a MWC that included CU, ASU, UA, BYU, Utah and Boise along with the likes of CSU, Air Force, UNLV and Wyoming, it wouldn’t be a top conference, but it would be pretty good. The money wouldn’t be anywhere close to what we are getting now, and there wouldn’t be any kind of decent National exposure. From a purely fan perspective, though, it wouldn’t be too bad. Who knows, maybe a bunch of lower tier P5 schools decide they are done chasing the rabbit and you start to see a few of these conferences pop up. I doubt it, but if that’s the outcome of all this drama in college athletics, I can think of worse things.

throw up true detective GIF

I’ve become convinced, the problem is DiStefano. He’s the one that has to go.
DiStefano is a symptom, not the disease. He’s an outgrowth of an overall attitude of indifference towards athletics at the University of Colorado. So while I agree that he’s a big part of the problem and should be replaced, there remains a very good chance that the person who replaces him would be just as bad.

If there could be a MWC that included CU, ASU, UA, BYU, Utah and Boise along with the likes of CSU, Air Force, UNLV and Wyoming, it wouldn’t be a top conference, but it would be pretty good. The money wouldn’t be anywhere close to what we are getting now, and there wouldn’t be any kind of decent National exposure. From a purely fan perspective, though, it wouldn’t be too bad. Who knows, maybe a bunch of lower tier P5 schools decide they are done chasing the rabbit and you start to see a few of these conferences pop up. I doubt it, but if that’s the outcome of all this drama in college athletics, I can think of worse things.
I think something like this is inevitable. The super 32, or whatever you want to call it, will leave everyone else behind to fend for residual media value.

I think we should have a thread where we rotate people sending him a **** email daily until one of the following happens: 1) the end of time or 2) when he fires Dorrell. I'm guessing it'll be 1.
I should specify the auto moderated four letter word was sh!t. Sh!t email as in sh!tpost as in troll email. I don't want any one of you smooth brains going off sending RG daily d!ck emails. Save those 35 year old d!ck pics for your significant others. And 35 year old pics as in the age of your phalli not a picture that is 35 years old (talking to you DBT and your 35 year old Polaroid collection).

I should specify the auto moderated four letter word was sh!t. Sh!t email as in sh!tpost as in troll email. I don't want any one of you smooth brains going off sending RG daily d!ck emails. Save those 35 year old d!ck pics for your significant others. And 35 year old pics as in the age of your phalli not a picture that is 35 years old (talking to you DBT and your 35 year old Polaroid collection).
I agree save the d!ck pics for Plati.

I am hearing some rumblings about the RG/BuffClub conference call that happened. Serenity mentioned some ofit above. Does anybody have a brief recap? In particular, I heard RG strongly criticized Kelli Brooks, or perhaps some other big donors. True?

Back