What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

To reiterate what I posted in the profile. The report on Twitter that Jones canceled his trip on Sunday is NOT accurate.

Yes. by all means let's go pro style, that will work.....

We don't have the players for the spread offense. Yes stick with the pro-style, call more bubble screens, zone reads, passes to backs, quick slants, emphasis the TEs more in the passing game, the Broncos offense not EB 3 yards and a cloud of Dust. There is nothing with the pro-style offense, absolutely nothing. The kids playing for CU will be better prepared for the NFL.

Last edited:
We don't have the players for the spread offense. Yes stick with the pro-style, call more bubble screens, zone reads, passes to backs, quick slants, emphasis the TEs more in the passing game, the Broncos offense not EB 3 yards and a cloud of Dust. There is nothing with the pro-style offense, absolutely nothing. The kids playing for CU will be better prepared for the NFL.

:huh:

Man you are stupid

My initial impression also, meh coaching and meh competition. Why don't we go after Mike Mccoy. Really like the Broncos offense. Shane Dillon would be great in that offense.
We should totally base our HC hire according to what offense best fits a 3-star freshman QB who has never taken a snap.

Ok not to be seen as agreeing with big bang but, The pro style offense can be run in college and we do not have to be a spread team to win.

Ok not to be seen as agreeing with big bang but, The pro style offense can be run in college and we do not have to be a spread team to win.
It can, if you have Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart or Andrew Luck pulling the trigger. Even Stanford, who ran it par excellence has abandoned it when their first round QB left.

The spread does the same thing as any option offense, it takes a defensive player and makes him defend the 11th player, the QB. It is an equalizer. So running the spread or the option is what you do if you don't have the players to compete. But yeah, let's run the prostyle, I am sure it will work....

Sometimes I wonder what games people are watching.

Last edited:
To win with the pro-style offense, you need superior or equal athletes at all positions and you need toughness and discipline.

Which of those do we have?

Sure if you have more talent or coaching than the other team. Spread makes up for a lot of talent issues.

We don't have the team speed and athleticism to be effective in the spread offense, maybe against teams like Colorado State, but not USC. You can't have a slow QB running the spread, it will be like Cody Hawkins trying to run the spread again or a slow Jordan Webb trying to outrun quicker Stanford linebackers, a disaster waiting to happen. He is no Geno Smith. If you are going to run the spread, recruit like you are going to run the spread. I would stick with the pro-style, pass the ball more on first down, no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. Stanford runs a pro-style offense with some spread concepts mixed in, and they are Pac 12 champions.

Last edited:
We don't have the team speed and athleticism to be effective in the spread offense, maybe against teams like Colorado State, but not USC. You can't have a slow QB running the spread, it will be like Cody Hawkins trying to run the spread again or a slow Jordan Webb trying to outrun quicker Stanford linebackers, a disaster waiting to happen. He is no Geno Smith. If you are going to run the spread, recruit like you are going to run the spread. I would stick with the pro-style, pass the ball more on first down, no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. Stanford runs a pro-style offense and they are Pac 12 champions with a bit of the spread mixed in.

Do you think we can beat USC or Stanford with a pro-style offense? At this point I'd take a win against CSU running the read-option.

Do you think we can beat USC or Stanford with a pro-style offense? At this point I'd take a win against CSU running the read-option.

When this year freshmen become Juniors, yes I believe we can beat USC or Stanford with the pro-style offense. There are no quick fixes. We need to continue to take it year by year, continue to add depth, we need to retain Blacken, continue to work hard in the weight room.

I can't put my finger on it but I just can't get that excited about Jones. Sure he's had a couple of real nice seasons at Cincinnati where the competition has been a bit lower. But for the most part his teams have beat who they should have, and that's something we've been sorely missing. No big-time coordinator experience and it's not like he had to do any rebuilding at Cincy.

Our OL is more suited to the spread, not enough size for a pro style offense.

Loses to the ranked/big name teams. Beats the crap teams. If we CAN get better, I'd like that. If not, whatever.

2010 CINCINNATI BEARCATS SCHEDULE
DATEOPPONENTRESULT/TIMERECORD/TICKETS
Sat, Sept 4

0-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 11

1-1 (0-0)
Thu, Sept 16

1-2 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 25

1-3 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 9

2-3 (0-0)
Fri, Oct 15

3-3 (1-0)
Fri, Oct 22

3-4 (1-1)
Sat, Oct 30

3-5 (1-2)
Sat, Nov 13

3-6 (1-3)
Sat, Nov 20

4-6 (2-3)
Sat, Nov 27

4-7 (2-4)
Sat, Dec 4

4-8 (2-5)

2011 CINCINNATI BEARCATS SCHEDULE
Sat, Sept 3

1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 10

1-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 17

2-1 (0-0)
Thu, Sept 22

3-1 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 1

4-1 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 15

5-1 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 22

6-1 (2-0)
Sat, Nov 5

7-1 (3-0)
Sat, Nov 12

7-2 (3-1)
Sat, Nov 19

7-3 (3-2)
Sat, Nov 26

8-3 (4-2)
Sat, Dec 3

9-3 (5-2)
AutoZone LIBERTY BOWL
Sat, Dec 31

10-3 (5-2)

2012 CINCINNATI BEARCATS SCHEDULE
Thu, Sept 6

1-0 (1-0)
Sat, Sept 15

2-0 (1-0)
Sat, Sept 29

3-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 6

4-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 13

5-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 20

5-1 (1-0)
Fri, Oct 26

5-2 (1-1)
Sat, Nov 3

6-2 (2-1)
Sat, Nov 10

7-2 (3-1)
Sat, Nov 17

7-3 (3-2)
Fri, Nov 23

8-3 (4-2)
Sat, Dec 1

9-3 (5-2)

I seriously nominate this for dumbest post of the decade. BB, most of the time I just think you're a little crazy and clueless, but this is just stupidity gone to seed.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

@CUAviotor

It's true that he hasn't beaten ranked teams, but it's not as if he's getting blown out by them. He's able to mostly compete with each team he plays. He competed well vs
#8 Oklahoma
#15 Louisville
#22 Rutgers

He has also cut down his blowout losses each year.

2010 blowout losses: Syracuse, West Virginia, Connecticut, Pittsburgh
2011 blowout losses: Tennessee
2012 blowout losses: None

If he just beat down on bad teams and looked uncompetitive against every good team he played then I'd be worried. What I see is a guy that is giving him team a chance to win every game and ,frankly, could be undefeated this season if a few breaks went his way.

That's kind of what I'm saying - I'd prefer a guy who has been involved in stepping up in the big games. But if we get Jones, fine.

apparently he had 65 freshmen & sophomores on the team this year; sounds like what we'll have next year. I'd take 9-3... And I wouldn't give a **** what any of the nine or the three looked like.

Back