What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Callahan

So you never followed anything about your programs Prized recruit who wa supposed to be your savior who got pissy, whiney, and annoyed with Big Tom Callahan and bolted for another program?

I find that hard to believe, but if thats the case the you are not really much of a fan if you didn't follow this at all, Beck was a big deal for a while in husker-dom.

I was in Iraq during all that bud

you can swear all you want here you just cant use racial slurs

I know goober i was messin around

I think the main reason why Callahan was given his extension was for recruiting reasons (which is arguably the most important aspect of college football).

I would argue that wins and losses are the most important aspect of college football, but if you want to hang your hat on recruiting, go for it. Texas A&M is filled with highly-rated recruits every year, and they continually underachieve.

The fact remains that Cally is 13-12 in Big 12 play and has yet to beat OU or UT (the 2 programs he was brought in to beat). But if you guys think everything is great in holer land, that's your deal.

I would argue that wins and losses are the most important aspect of college football, but if you want to hang your hat on recruiting, go for it. Texas A&M is filled with highly-rated recruits every year, and they continually underachieve.

The fact remains that Cally is 13-12 in Big 12 play and has yet to beat OU or UT (the 2 programs he was brought in to beat). But if you guys think everything is great in holer land, that's your deal.

I am all for NU trying to become Aggy.:thumbsup:

I think what he meant by that was that recruiting is the most important aspect to get wins.

I am all for NU trying to become Aggy.:thumbsup:

I am amazed at the mediocrity coming out of Collie Station every year (BTW, that name really pisses off Aggies, try it on one sometime:thumbsup:). They get a TON of talent every single year and do jack **** with it year-in, year-out. That place is where talent goes to die.

I think what he meant by that was that recruiting is the most important aspect to get wins.

True that recruiting is essential, but I doubt that Florida wins the MNC last year if Zook was still there (and he was by all accounts pulling in tons of talent but doing nothing with it). Takes a good coach & good recruiting to really get it done.

I am amazed at the mediocrity coming out of Collie Station every year (BTW, that name really pisses off Aggies, try it on one sometime:thumbsup:). They get a TON of talent every single year and do jack **** with it year-in, year-out. That place is where talent goes to die.

Easily the most underachieving program in the Big 12, and maybe the entire country. Must be nice to throw 2 million a year down the drain on a coach like Fran.

True that recruiting is essential, but I doubt that Florida wins the MNC last year if Zook was still there (and he was by all accounts pulling in tons of talent but doing nothing with it). Takes a good coach & good recruiting to really get it done.

Yep. Talent alone does not guarantee wins. For reference, just look at the following programs who get an insane amount of in-state talent every year:

UCLA
USC - pre-Carroll
Florida - with Zook
aTm
UT - pre-Brown

Yep. Talent alone does not guarantee wins. For reference, just look at the following programs who get an insane amount of in-state talent every year:

UCLA
USC - pre-Carroll
Florida - with Zook
aTm
UT - pre-Brown
Don't forget OU under Blake. (The nice thing about Blake is that you can insult both the Corn and Mobilehoma in the same breath) Sometimes God does have a sense of humor.

Of course everything is good in holer land. He was brought in to beat the fuskers rival, Colorado!!:smile2: And he has been able to do that so far. Things won't get bad until Hawk gets the team good enough to start beating them again, and then the **** will hit the fan. You just wait and see. For al their talk about 'Cu is just another game, they are not our rival', the end of Slash will come about because Hawk gets CU good enough to beat NU every year. That will not be acceptable in fuskerland.

Of course everything is good in holer land. He was brought in to beat the fuskers rival, Colorado!!:smile2: And he has been able to do that so far. Things won't get bad until Hawk gets the team good enough to start beating them again, and then the **** will hit the fan. You just wait and see. For al their talk about 'Cu is just another game, they are not our rival', the end of Slash will come about because Hawk gets CU good enough to beat NU every year. That will not be acceptable in fuskerland.

How's that Kool-aid taste??? Give me a ****ing break there is no way your going to beat us every year just like we won't beat you every year!!!

How's that Kool-aid taste??? Give me a ****ing break there is no way your going to beat us every year just like we won't beat you every year!!!

someday, you are going to have to decide which side of the fence you are going to be on. are you a supporter of the notion that you will be a homer and no one will tell you different? if so, you just can't turn around and ask someone else how the koolaid tastes.

fib had a post full of really good questions. how about you focus on the wealth of what he was saying instead of the smallest iota of it? or does the wealth of it leave you speechless?

this is a thread about cally. fib had alot to say about the circumstances in which he was brought in & the expectations. fuskers have consistently failed to step to this line of questioning which has reverberated throughout the thread.

Don't forget OU under Blake. (The nice thing about Blake is that you can insult both the Corn and Mobilehoma in the same breath) Sometimes God does have a sense of humor.

Blake never had a top 15 class at OU. mostly in the 25-30 range. and we all know that he was great at Nebraska and then when he left: "he wasn't really in on any big recruits".

I think the main reason why Callahan was given his extension was for recruiting reasons (which is arguably the most important aspect of college football). Having continuity and stability within a program is very important to recruits. They want to know that the coach that is recruiting them will also be coaching them for the next 3/4/5 years of their college football careers and get them to that next step. I think the extenstion came at a very good time just for this reason. If we want to beat the USC's and Oklahoma's of the game, then we gotta recruit to that level. This contract gives us the edge in that field.

While I agree that some of his actions have been questionable in the past (the throat slash and the effin hillbilly comment that every buff fan here salivates over). Callahan has still shown a great deal of leadership and committment to the Husker nation and the staff. I think that's good enough right there.

1st off, just because you recruit to the level of the Oklahoma, USC, Texas doesnt dictate the programs success. It has to do with coaching, and sorry hillbilly throatslash isnt a good enough coach to win in the Big XII.

and you talk about his actions being questionable..... he is a moron and is desparate for wins. he needed to kick kick mo purify off the team and a tight end for knu that have have serious off-the-field transgressions the past couple of months. you point to oklahoma and such, look at what happened to dusty dvoracek of Oklahoma for his "bar fight" and there were not even charges filed against him. he was removed from the team for a year, and the only way stoops let him come back to the team was to straighten himself out and then the whole team, the whole team had to vote to let him back on the next year.... I just dont think hillbilly throatslash has thr intergrity, morals, values, sense of right vs wrong, not to mention the coaching ability to win championships.

Just a couple of points. One the NU program is in much better shape now than when Solich was asked to leave. If you don't see that then you've got a problem. Callahan may not be everything but he's done much better than Frank would have. I will give Frank credit. He did assemble what was a very very good defensive coaching staff. It's a shame they were broken up.

One other point. You probably don't get it but the OU NU rivalry is something special to all the old timers I have the pleasure and displeasure of running into. The atmosphere at these games is probably similar to CSU CU multiplied several times over. Callahan lost is composure did something stupid and looks like a fool for doing so. It sounds like he can live with that but not all the nu fans can. There is a CU NU rivalry and it is strong but it's nothing compared to the OU NU rivalry in the minds of those who've been around. OU kicked NU up and down the football field for many many years. That one game made or broke both of their seasons year in and year out for decades. Yes throatslash did something stupid but man have you ever been to an OU NU game? I haven't and probably never will but to talk to those who have it is definately something different.

a few notes on Billy C:

1. He called some Oklahoma fans f***ing hill-billies. Can you really blame him? Weren't you thinking the same thing? C'mon. Shouldn't have said it, but he's exhibiting a dislike for Oklahoman Rufneks. You know you love it.

2. He made a throatslash gesture at a referee. Just a sweet move altogether! He used perfect form and executed the slash with OJ-esque perfection. Pretending it never happened, kinda stupid. But overall, Billy C was getting fired up. I like seeing some emotion from my head coach from time to time. I guess it shows that he cares.

3. Look at the offensive stats each year since he's taken over. Each year he's shown steady improvement. The guy's building a heck of a program and I'm glad he's got a head start on Hawkins cause CU's offense already started to show flashes of dynamite Saturday.

~Dusty

a few notes on Billy C:

1. He called some Oklahoma fans f***ing hill-billies. Can you really blame him? Weren't you thinking the same thing? C'mon. Shouldn't have said it, but he's exhibiting a dislike for Oklahoman Rufneks. You know you love it.

2. He made a throatslash gesture at a referee. Just a sweet move altogether! He used perfect form and executed the slash with OJ-esque perfection. Pretending it never happened, kinda stupid. But overall, Billy C was getting fired up. I like seeing some emotion from my head coach from time to time. I guess it shows that he cares.

3. Look at the offensive stats each year since he's taken over. Each year he's shown steady improvement. The guy's building a heck of a program and I'm glad he's got a head start on Hawkins cause CU's offense already started to show flashes of dynamite Saturday.

~Dusty

Best post ever. Agreed.

a few notes on Billy C:

~Dusty

Then tell your red polyester wearing bubbas to go easy on the "we're the classiest team/fans/program in NCAA history." That ship has sailed (or sunk!).

Cally better win, and win big, because he's pissed off a good number of the old guard, and they'll turn on him in a minute if the W's don't show up.

I personally hope he does win. We need the entire Big 12 North to step it up so both fans can quit with the "well, we won the North, but really, how big of a deal was it?" I think CU and NU are on the upswing, and KSU showed well at Auburn. Guaranteed that Mizzou will pick a bad time this year to remember that they are Mizzou. Chase Daniel is a gamer, and they have a stud at TE, but Pinkel hasn't shown that he can win a big one. Before I get accused of digressing...how much longer until Cally wins a big game?

He needs to beat USC, OU or Texas this year or next or he is really going to start to get some heat

Back