What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can Tad get this thing turned around?

It's too early to write off the sophomores...

They will be marginal role players but at a budding program with no history like Colorado, there's no room for error. Every miss is a devastating miss.

They will be marginal role players but at a budding program with no history like Colorado, there's no room for error. Every miss is a devastating miss.

Always a chance someone breaks out as an upperclassman, it happens. But by and large it seems we whiffed big time and it's killing us.

They have two years left to progress, it's too early.

You can't just repeat the same mantra with no justification. I'm telling you it's, as CVille attests, 'a big whiff.' It is a correct assessment and WILL be verified in time.

I think we will know by the end of the season what we have with our sophomores. Not every player is a Levi.

You can't just repeat the same mantra with no justification. I'm telling you it's, as CVille attests, 'a big whiff.' It is a correct assessment and WILL be verified in time.
Dustin and Hopkins have both improved since last year. Why is Talton getting no blame here? He's an upperclassmen who has done nothing this year in games against a team with a pulse.

Umm, no. This class is done. They have shown us zero for two years and there are zero signs that's going to ever change. DT is the only Soph that actually might be better than mediocre some day.

Dustin and Hopkins have both improved since last year. Why is Talton getting no blame here? He's an upperclassmen who has done nothing this year in games against a team with a pulse.

Hopkins is the same player as last year. The SAME.

I think Tad is a smart man. There is a formula here. I think he needs some better assistants to help develop these guys. We all agree that the mentality is not there. That could be due to some lazy players or players that didn't love up to expectations. But I'm also guessing there is a coaching issue from the assistants.

Tad ad will need to make hard decisions just like HCMM had to do with Baer. Something isn't working. Tad will need to fix it, if we plan to get out of this mess.

Umm, no. This class is done. They have shown us zero for two years and there are zero signs that's going to ever change. DT is the only Soph that actually might be better than mediocre some day.

Hate to say it, but the best chance for an impact player from the 2013 class, might be George King. Fletcher has all the tools, but he hasn't put together the offensive game yet

guys not everyone makes the LEAP from frosh to Soph that Spencer and Burks did.

No he's not

Tini is right, Hopkins is:
Playing slightly more
Shooting slightly less
Shooting much more effectively
Taking better shots
Passing the ball more effectively

The only places he hasn't improved are in:
TOs
FT shooting.

Fletcher has been roughly the same player he was last year which considering the injury isnt that big of a surprise, his performances have also been really streaky, he's either very good, or very bad, with very little in the middle.

Tini is right, Hopkins is:
Playing slightly more
Shooting slightly less
Shooting much more effectively
Taking better shots
Passing the ball more effectively

The only places he hasn't improved are in:
TOs
FT shooting.

Fletcher has been roughly the same player he was last year which considering the injury isnt that big of a surprise, his performances have also been really streaky, he's either very good, or very bad, with very little in the middle.

Considering Hopkins' somewhat ballyhooed recruitment, being microscopically better is just not enough. Coupled with the aggregate problems amongst Talton, Eli, Thomas, Fletcher, the Detroit kid and King, there are too many misses for our paper-thin program to sustain.

6 misses in the lower ranks and you get what we currently see. The Booker, Johnson and Scott show with no help.

The biggest miss was missing on Wallace (was a CU lock at one time iirc) and ultimately landing Talton and Sharpshooter Stalzer instead

Hate to say it, but the best chance for an impact player from the 2013 class, might be George King. Fletcher has all the tools, but he hasn't put together the offensive game yet

If he's our best chance, then I don't see it. His play last year was the least desirable out of the four. Which begs the question, is Tad ruthless enough to succeed at the high ranks of college basketball? Letting kids eat scholarships long past any their shelf life does not breed success ... attrition is a very valuable tool.

Great guys, decent tools, but if Stalzer and King cannot put Colorado to the next level, then you have to reload those scholarships. Just saying.

Considering Hopkins' somewhat ballyhooed recruitment, being microscopically better is just not enough. Coupled with the aggregate problems amongst Talton, Eli, Thomas, Fletcher, the Detroit kid and King, there are too many misses for our paper-thin program to sustain.

6 misses in the lower ranks and you get what we currently see. The Booker, Johnson and Scott show with no help.

Completely agree with this post. Even with all the mistakes DT makes, at least he looks to create on the offensive end. I see very little of that from Hopkins. He's good on the break, and occasionally delivers when someone dishes to him in a good spot, but rarely takes charge to score or create. It's a gaping hole in our team.

YrG%MinORtg%Poss%ShotseFG%TS%OR%DR%ARateTORateBlk%Stl%FC/40FD/40FTRateFT%2Pt%3Pt%
2015So1149.288.418.016.355.154.31.611.614.331.01.01.94.63.034.747.1%56.2%35.3%
2014Fr3545.191.117.418.645.246.24.311.611.720.50.52.54.82.933.150.0%44.2%31.0%
% Change9.1%-3.0%3.4%-12.4%21.9%17.5%-62.8%0.0%22.2%51.2%100.0%-24.0%-4.2%3.4%4.8%-5.8%27.1%13.9%

YearFGATS%eFG%% shots at rimFG% at rim%assisted at rim% shots 2pt JFG% 2pt Jumpers%of shots 3pt3FG%%assisted 3sFTA/FGAFT%
20154954.3%55.1%44.9%72.7%43.8%20.4%20.0%34.7%35.3%83.3%34.7%47.1%
201415746.2%45.2%35.7%53.6%63.3%19.1%26.7%45.2%31.0%95.5%33.1%50.0%
% Change
17.5%21.9%25.8%35.6%-30.8%6.8%-25.1%-23.2%13.9%-12.8%4.8%-5.8%

Seems like he's improved since last year in the majority of categories

J-Hop has improved his skills, based on that.

Unfortunately, the main thing we needed him to improve upon was decision making and his turnover rate is significantly worse.

YrG%MinORtg%Poss%ShotseFG%TS%OR%DR%ARateTORateBlk%Stl%FC/40FD/40FTRateFT%2Pt%3Pt%
2015So1149.288.418.016.355.154.31.611.614.331.01.01.94.63.034.747.1%56.2%35.3%
2014Fr3545.191.117.418.645.246.24.311.611.720.50.52.54.82.933.150.0%44.2%31.0%
% Change9.1%-3.0%3.4%-12.4%21.9%17.5%-62.8%0.0%22.2%51.2%100.0%-24.0%-4.2%3.4%4.8%-5.8%27.1%13.9%

YearFGATS%eFG%% shots at rimFG% at rim%assisted at rim% shots 2pt JFG% 2pt Jumpers%of shots 3pt3FG%%assisted 3sFTA/FGAFT%
20154954.3%55.1%44.9%72.7%43.8%20.4%20.0%34.7%35.3%83.3%34.7%47.1%
201415746.2%45.2%35.7%53.6%63.3%19.1%26.7%45.2%31.0%95.5%33.1%50.0%
% Change
17.5%21.9%25.8%35.6%-30.8%6.8%-25.1%-23.2%13.9%-12.8%4.8%-5.8%

Seems like he's improved since last year in the majority of categories

Jesus. This is hard. His Offensive Rating, which seems to be the aggregate statistic, is down. Even if improved, it's not nearly enough given what Colorado, or any program, needs at this point in his or the other 6 relative misses' careers. You are splicing hairs and failing to see the forest from the trees. I am done with this conversation.

Jesus. This is hard. His Offensive Rating, which seems to be the aggregate statistic, is down. Even if improved, it's not nearly enough given what Colorado, or any program, needs at this point in his or the other 6 relative misses' careers. You are splicing hairs and failing to see the forest from the trees. I am done with this conversation.
His offensive rating is down slightly largely because his FT% is down, but his 2pt% and 3pt% are both up, along with his effective FG% and true shooting% being up. If you really want to call a player out for lack of improvement, then start talking about Talton. Hopkins and Dustin have improved, even if it wasn't as big of a jump as we saw with Burks and Spencer.

His offensive rating is down slightly largely because his FT% is down, but his 2pt% and 3pt% are both up, along with his effective FG% and true shooting% being up. If you really want to call a player out for lack of improvement, then start talking about Talton. Hopkins and Dustin have improved, even if it wasn't as big of a jump as we saw with Burks and Spencer.

Don't forget that he turns the ball a lot. It taxes Booker because he's the only competant guard in the back court.

And yes, I called them all out. It's plain as day that this team is a below .500 in the Pac12 and the underclassmen +Talton/Stalzer are the problem areas.

Nik pretty much summed up the issue. His turnovers are a nightmare. He's improved in other areas but it's not enough, that's as plain as day. We have 3 guys who score. You can't do that.

And yes on Talton. How he has regressed so far is baffling. He's killing us with turnovers and seemingly doing nothing else other than being burned on D. We can't have guard play like this, it's just disastrous.

Don't forget that he turns the ball a lot. It taxes Booker because he's the only competant guard in the back court.

And yes, I called them all out. It's plain as day that this team is a below .500 in the Pac12 and the underclassmen +Talton/Stalzer are the problem areas.
So do you admit that Hopkins has improved since last year? If not your argument is all over the place. I'm not denying his TOrate has increased, but overall he has improved.

So do you admit that Hopkins has improved since last year? If not your argument is all over the place. I'm not denying his TOrate has increased, but overall he has improved.

Yes he has imperceptibly, microscopically improved which in the grand scheme of things, is still a big flop. Another massive issue, which you have identified, is how on earth are we not getting 30 mins and 13points from Talton!? He has the toolset. Anybody with thoughts?

If he's our best chance, then I don't see it. His play last year was the least desirable out of the four. Which begs the question, is Tad ruthless enough to succeed at the high ranks of college basketball? Letting kids eat scholarships long past any their shelf life does not breed success ... attrition is a very valuable tool.

Great guys, decent tools, but if Stalzer and King cannot put Colorado to the next level, then you have to reload those scholarships. Just saying.

King was the youngest and least developed of the four, so that isn't really a surprise. He might have improved the most of the four over the summer. Enough for Tad to think he was worthy of a red shirt season at least.

If the team does do poorly can we recover next year? Don't know much about recruiting.

When UK made the NIT and went out after the first game they cleaned house. We aren't on UKs level, but is there the possibility of mass attrition? How would that fare for a coach in Tad's position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turned around? Yes.
Over the next 3 months with this assembly of talent and egos? Not holding my breath.

Is this season likely lost? Yes. Is the sophomore class lost? Hell no.

Hopkins has a chance to be special, I think next year could be his year. He could start at the two or come off the bench as a combo guard as he did this year and make huge impact.

Dustin Thomas has been playing out of position his entire career IMO and could see more time at the three next year or as a small ball 4 if Tory Miller continues to improve. He's got to work on his shot we need him to stretch the floor if he's playing at the same time as one of our bigs as the four.

Fletcher still has a lot of potential, I think this offseason will be huge for him, in terms of getting stronger and quicker. He's going to be a luxury off the bench for us next year.

Finally I for one still think George King has possibly the second of third most potential in this entire group, behind Hopkins but between him and Fletcher it could go either way.

Collier/Talton
Fortune/Hopkins
XJ/Fletcher/King
Scott/Thomas
Gordon/Miller

That to me is a pretty solid rotation.

Back