What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can Tad get this thing turned around?

Collier/Talton
Fortune/Hopkins
XJ/Fletcher/King
Scott/Thomas
Gordon/Miller

That to me is a pretty solid rotation.

The big question is whether Scott and XJ return. They've put in a lot of summer work, and might have their degree in hand. Even if they are not NBA players, they could both make 6 figure salaries playing in Europe, and have a limited period of time where they can make that type of salary.

Might be a significantly different team if one or both are not on the roster next season.

The biggest miss was missing on Wallace (was a CU lock at one time iirc) and ultimately landing Talton and Sharpshooter Stalzer instead

I think he was a CU lean, at one point. Wouldn't say he was a lock though. The Talton/Stalzer signings get talked about a lot and I do think there was duplication with the signings. Sign one but not both. But what is really hurting us is not an impact player in the 2013/2014 classes. Even with the duplication of Stalzer/Talton, the 2012 class was fine. It's too early to write off either class (particularly the 2014 one), but you always like to see an underclassman that can contribute immediately at a high level

The big question is whether Scott and XJ return. They've put in a lot of summer work, and might have their degree in hand. Even if they are not NBA players, they could both make 6 figure salaries playing in Europe, and have a limited period of time where they can make that type of salary.

Might be a significantly different team if one or both are not on the roster next season.

They both will be here they are not going to go overseas that seems to be pretty rare. XJ is the better prospect than Scott IMO, but both aren't going to the draft this year.

They both will be here they are not going to go overseas that seems to be pretty rare. XJ is the better prospect than Scott IMO, but both aren't going to the draft this year.

XJ is a better athlete but I think Scott is a better prospect. Size buys you a look and his fundamentals will make him a coaches favorite. XJ has the talent but needs to step up big and develop some elements of an NBA game.

This thread seems to be forgetting that tre'shaun has only played 1 full season at this point (non con last year, and non con this year) and saw only a few minutes per game last year. the knee injury set him back.

If Scott had ideas of heading to the NBA next year, he's pretty much played himself out of that idea. He's a 2nd rounder at best now. Maybe a team with an established frontcourt takes a chance on him coming in and developing. If he wants back into the first round, he'll need to come back for a senior year and kick ass.

Of course, he *could* turn it on and really help himself for the remainder of the year. It's not like the season is completely over. His disappearing act for the OOC would have to give some NBA GM's cause for concern, though. I would think.

If he's our best chance, then I don't see it. His play last year was the least desirable out of the four.

I know at least socially a couple of guys on the team and they will tell you that at least when it comes to pick-up ball King is a beast. GK's head may not be there yet when it comes to playing within the confines of a game but I would not be so quick to judge him as a wasted ship at this point.

Both Scott and XJ have shots at the league they are not leaving early to go to Overseas.

I know at least socially a couple of guys on the team and they will tell you that at least when it comes to pick-up ball King is a beast. GK's head may not be there yet when it comes to playing within the confines of a game but I would not be so quick to judge him as a wasted ship at this point.

perfect! our offense looks like a pick up ball game most of the time.

Neither redshirted and it's pretty hard for a basketball player to graduate in three years when your season covers two semesters and you spend so much time on the road. It's much more likely if you're a motivated football player. You can load up in spring and summer and you only have a couple of short roadies.

Also - I believe that I remember reading somewhere that tad wanted tre'shawn to redshirt this year, but fletch said no (so Im guessing tad went to talk to GK)?

How's about start with UCLA? They have owned us, beaten us ragged, abused us.... and we have yet to beat them in Pac play. Let's win this frkn game at home Buffs!

UCLA is as mediocre as they are ever going to be.... forever more..... beat them on the 2nd.

Turn around suggestion number 1, Tad.

I see quite a few mentions about the assistant coaches and I have to agree. Are these guys any good? Our in bounds plays are embarrassing. And our end of half / game, play calls are downright terrible. What do they talk about in those 12 time outs we take? They look totally un-coached coming out of timeouts and we never ever get a good shot off with the clock running down.

Is Rodney Billups simply there because of his last name? Or is he any good as a coach? I never see him barely speak on the sidelines and he is the coach's right hand man. Does anyone have any info on his coaching credentials other than being a Colorado legends brother?

Those games in Hawaii were about as frustrating as any games I have ever seen and losing to teams we should be beating is getting old. I really hope they get a couple wins to start conference play and build up some amount of confidence otherwise this could get real ugly. Go Buffs.

With the assistants, there is no question that they are good. I think continuity has gone on too long and things got too comfortable within the program. I also think that we now have a situation where both lead assistants are ready to be HCs, have been ready for over a year, carry themselves like HCs, and we have 3 CEOs. A little shakeup would be a good thing.

With the assistants, there is no question that they are good. I think continuity has gone on too long and things got too comfortable within the program. I also think that we now have a situation where both lead assistants are ready to be HCs, have been ready for over a year, carry themselves like HCs, and we have 3 CEOs. A little shakeup would be a good thing.

But that's part of the issue right? Tad isn't going to cut any of these guys loose when they are ready to be head coaches in their own right and potentially hurt their chances, reputation and career.

But that's part of the issue right? Tad isn't going to cut any of these guys loose when they are ready to be head coaches in their own right and potentially hurt their chances, reputation and career.

could Tad be just saying that so other teams take the coaches off his hands and he can upgrade the assistants without firing them?

I just don't buy that our assistants need to be upgraded. What I'm having a problem with is the half court offense and what we're trying to get out of it. It looks like the players are trying to hard to make the simple play, or maybe their afraid of making a mistake.

Observations and opinions through the non-conference:

1) I've seen Talton and Fletcher pass up numerous opportunities to take wide open three point shots off a kick out from the post or from a nice swing of the rock. We're not good enough to pass up open shots (even early in the shot clock) and expect to get that same look in the same possession.
2) If we give Josh Scott the ball at the top of the key, the offense needs to spread out to give him room to operate. He is capable of a dribble drive from the key and making a move.
3) The ball must go down to Scott and Gordon. Too many occasions where we pass the ball around the perimeter and try to go one on one with under 10 seconds left on the shot clock.
4) Jaron Hopkins needs to be consistently aggressive in every single game. He is by far, IMO, the best player off our bench right now.
5) Dominique Collier needs to be in the starting lineup right now. Even if he doesn't get as many minutes as Talton, it allows Talton to be more of a spark plug off the bench against the other teams second unit. I though Talton excelled in that role last year.
6) I think Ski should play more off the ball. He is our best Scorer!!! I'd like to see Ski coming off more picks, giving him more room for his outside jumpers. He can always go get the ball when the shot clock is winding down.
7) Fletcher, Talton, Thomas and Hopkins to a point have pretty much been non-factors. For us to have had a special year, we needed them to be better than what they are. They all play decent defense but I thought one of them would really step up offensively.
8) Our defense is solid, but I don't look at us as an aggressive defense. With all our athletes we need to make the game chaos so we get more chances for steals and fast breaks. We're averaging 4.6 steals a game, good for 337th in the nation. We have some size down low, so why are we not applying more pressure in the backcourt???

I hope our boys get it turned around. I'm staying optimistic that these close losses will turn into close wins. 3 heartbreakers in the last 4 games. I'm not ready to throw the towel in. We have to be tough in Conference.

12-13 wins in Conference to probably make some noise for the NCAA committee. Daunting but I think it's possible.

Last edited:
could Tad be just saying that so other teams take the coaches off his hands and he can upgrade the assistants without firing them?

Maybe, but these were/are his guys, they helped build this thing. Maybe i have rose colored glasses on, but I'm not sure I see Tad playing that type of game.

Both Scott and XJ have shots at the league they are not leaving early to go to Overseas.

I think playing overseas would be the worst case scenario, but it is certainly something players have done in the past.

There are people that hold the position that once you are good enough to play professionally, you should jump at the chance. Both players are not likely to have a big jump in performance as seniors. Add in the rumors of a not so happy Buffs locker room, and I think it definitely creates a situation where one or even both players could exit early

Fans/media/everyone need to realize that Tad struggles when he doesn't have a dominant slasher/scorer to just let the offense run through. He's had Burks, Dinwiddie, and even Carlon Brown to just give the ball to and say "go get a bucket". Not to mention that Higgins was better a better all around player then Booker and he was a primary ball handler when Burks wasn't handling in the half court. I've come to the conclusion that Tad isn't a good X's and O's coach, and he's a recruiter. This is workable if you have assistants who can get something out of an offense, or even draw up a friggin inbounds play. This team looks the same way every Boyle coached CU team would look if it lost any of the before mentioned players. Hopkins is the only guy that even resembles the player that Boyle has made a living off of, and he's a long way away from being consistent enough to even be mentioned with the other guys. Most disappointing to me is the fact that we have no outside shooters, nobody that can create there own shot outside of booker (and that's usually a bad shot), and no sign of this sophomore class living up to the hype.

Fans/media/everyone need to realize that Tad struggles when he doesn't have a dominant slasher/scorer to just let the offense run through. He's had Burks, Dinwiddie, and even Carlon Brown to just give the ball to and say "go get a bucket". Not to mention that Higgins was better a better all around player then Booker and he was a primary ball handler when Burks wasn't handling in the half court. I've come to the conclusion that Tad isn't a good X's and O's coach, and he's a recruiter. This is workable if you have assistants who can get something out of an offense, or even draw up a friggin inbounds play. This team looks the same way every Boyle coached CU team would look if it lost any of the before mentioned players. Hopkins is the only guy that even resembles the player that Boyle has made a living off of, and he's a long way away from being consistent enough to even be mentioned with the other guys. Most disappointing to me is the fact that we have no outside shooters, nobody that can create there own shot outside of booker (and that's usually a bad shot), and no sign of this sophomore class living up to the hype.

Did he have a guy like that (Big Sky equivalent) when he got UNCo turned around?

What you are saying has certainly been the case at CU, but I wonder if it's more about having a floor general. He had Nate, then he had Spencer. This year, he doesn't have one.

He had guys in the Big Sky that bought into his methodical offense, and could make open shots. It also was the Big Sky, not to take anything away from what he accomplished. I think the offense looks like the equivalent of a circle in a square hole, it doesn't fit the strengths of this team, which are obviously Scott and Gordon. Problem is that Booker and XJ are on the perimeter and I can't remember the last time I saw either commit getting the ball underneath. Some falls on Tad, some falls on guys that in my opinion are me first guys (XJ, Booker), not to offend anyone. If this team continues to not shoot open shots, we will be lucky to win 6 conference games....Talton, Fletcher, Collier, Hopkins, and even Dustin have to be ready to shoot the ball, and knock down shots that scholarship athletes knock down. I thought Nate was a solid point guard, but to be honest I don't know how much of a leader he was, depending on who you talk to.

Good points blynch. My one area of disagreement is I think people are continuing to think the Pac12 is better than it is. The Pac12 sucks this year. It's overwhelmingly made up of teams that are our equivalent or worse. Even in our crappy condition we're about a .500 Pac side. If we played even moderately better we'd almost certainly have a winning record in conference play.

PAC 12 is down, down down. With all of my bitching about Tad, I still want him here. I think he can recruit, and for the most part the players seem to like him. We just need some coaches that can do some more creative stuff on offense. Also somebody to get though to Tad that a 3 point lead with 2 minutes to go does not mean hold the ball.

They seem to play slower after every article that comes out about Tad talking about how they are working on playing faster, and how GK was at practice. This team resembles GK coached teams when you watch them run inbounds plays.

Back