What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charles Clark to Oregon

Might actually be a way of avoiding title IX issues. If Urban Meyer signs a contract to do commercials for an auto dealer does that income count against Title IX?
If he were to accept an offer to make an appearance on the NC game would what he gets paid count? Both of these would be as a direct result of his position as HC of tOSU.
Honestly I don't know enough about Title IX to answer that. I just figure if were as simple as changing the name of the organization on their paycheck, schools would have exploited that loophole years ago. Maybe they are, I don't know.

It does tie back into TABOR.

It has to do with the state not being able to tie itself to future financial obligation.

What I have wondered is if it would be possible to create a separate foundation that "employ" coaches and other key persons contingent on their continued employment by the university. Donations that would normally go into the AD would go to the foundation which would pay the coaches for a number of personal appearances, luncheons with the donors, etc.

If this happened the portion of their salaries paid by the university would still not be guaranteed but they could receive long term guarantees from the foundation.

It would require legislation to would provide for state oversight of the foundation and state that the "employment" is not a conflict of interest or other violation of state employment.
Future financial obligations? See Dan Hawkins, Gary Barnett and Jon Embree. Give me a break.

Also now that I think about it, isn't football exempt from Title IX? Otherwise we'd have some very wealthy women's basketball coaches.

Future financial obligations? See Dan Hawkins, Gary Barnett and Jon Embree. Give me a break.

Don't know exactly how it works, somebody with more specific knowledge can chime in, the state has carved out a means by which a very limited number of long term contracts are available to public institutions. The CU athletic department has enough of these to cover the head coaches of FB, MBB, WBB, and a couple of assistants. When they are paying a fired coach they get one less to use on current staff.

I don't know the details of the whole thing, there are lawyers who have made careers out of trying to understand state funding limits but TABOR is the driving force behind it all.

Don't know exactly how it works, somebody with more specific knowledge can chime in, the state has carved out a means by which a very limited number of long term contracts are available to public institutions. The CU athletic department has enough of these to cover the head coaches of FB, MBB, WBB, and a couple of assistants. When they are paying a fired coach they get one less to use on current staff.

I don't know the details of the whole thing, there are lawyers who have made careers out of trying to understand state funding limits but TABOR is the driving force behind it all.
That's just it though. The head coaches have the multi year deals. Why can't assistant coaches. What's the difference? Who cares?

Back when the Clark to Oregon rumors started, their fans thought they were getting Clark for corners and Heyward for safeties. Not sure if that's still the case tho.

I saw some posts on Scout that there's a CO politician introducing legislation to exempt state university athletic departments from the long-term contract provision in TABOR.

Who? What bill? This needs a thread and maybe even some AllBuffs support.

Back on topic... I Clark still at CU? It seems odd to have this out there for so long with no updates from CU or the Quacks.

Nevermind - got it, he's gone!!!

Last edited:
It only hurts if CU does not hire a capable replacement. A cornerback coach is not irreplaceable.

The DC hire will still tell a lot more.

Man I hope your right.

Didnt the guy turn what was mostly a bunch of 2* players without other P5 offers into part of a top 20 defense? One of the best in the country?

I'd like to think our impeccable AD would have addressed this pay problem before they got away. There is no guarantee that MM will be able to replace these guys with staffers as capable as those that left.

Man I hope your right.

Didnt the guy turn what was mostly a bunch of 2* players without other P5 offers into part of a top 20 defense? One of the best in the country?

I'd like to think our impeccable AD would have addressed this pay problem before they got away. There is no guarantee that MM will be able to replace these guys with staffers as capable as those that left.
Cool.

Man I hope your right.

I don't think our impeccable AD was even able to match Oregon.

Colorado allows for constitutional ballot iniatives. You Colorado resident Buffs fans need to start collecting signatures.
Thanks to Amendment 71, this will become near impossible in most situations.

I don't think our impeccable AD was even able to match Oregon.

Ive never seen the PNL statement for CU athletics. That being said, we are apparently last in pay in the conference, yet we just raised a TON of money to have one of the nicest facilities in the country built. So, in the end, Im a little suspicious of that idea that we dont have the money to keep JL (which probably would have kept Clark here too). The fact is that JL obviously improved this D the moment he arrived. This year the D spent most of the year ranked in the top 20 for total defense. Even after the Michigan loss we were still up there. Thats the kind of metric that catches your eye. I sure hope we can sustain that metric. But weve all seen more than a few coaching transitions, and down deep we know its probably not in the cards to keep that. Thus I say, why let him go for a lateral move? We should have had a plan to reward and keep JL. And we didnt.

**** him.

bad way to exit. he wasn't straight up. be a man and tell the truth. it isn't always the easiest path, but it is the most honorable.

i wish failure upon him, right along with that sugary drink addict who lead him there.

be straight. be honest. don't lie.

it isn't that complicated.

**** him.

bad way to exit. he wasn't straight up. be a man and tell the truth. it isn't always the easiest path, but it is the most honorable.

i wish failure upon him, right along with that sugary drink addict who lead him there.

be straight. be honest. don't lie.

it isn't that complicated.

I know it's the mighty oregon but having our coaches leaving after finally having a good year for LATERAL moves is embarrassing.

People, not all, assuming MM is just going to reload and bring another stud DC in here who will fit with recruirs etc...I'm not that confident at the moment.

So, after perusing NCAA coach's salaries I believe Mac should be in the $3.5 million to $4 million range and our assistant coaching budget about the same, $3.5 to $4 million. So $7 to $8 million total. Right now we're in the $4.5 to $6 mil range with bonuses. That'd put us right about top 20. Can RG pull that off?

MM hasnt earned that sort of money yet.
Unfortunately that may not be the point of all of this. It should be, because is Harbaugh really worth 9 million? Saban 6+? A man should have to earn his living but today it is often a matter of what the market demands or what the market will pay that sets the standard for everyone. All to often this is what drives things and skews the real value. Is a Bijan suit really worth the 15 to 20 K you pay for it??

Back