What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charles Clark to Oregon

According to what I saw, Mac has a base just north of $2 million but has $1.5 million in incentive bonuses. I'd imagine he earned a good chunk of that.

Unfortunately that may not be the point of all of this. It should be, because is Harbaugh really worth 9 million? Saban 6+? A man should have to earn his living but today it is often a matter of what the market demands or what the market will pay that sets the standard for everyone. All to often this is what drives things and skews the real value. Is a Bijan suit really worth the 15 to 20 K you pay for it??

You are correct. His value is based not on what we think but on what somebody else is willing to pay him after they have payed any buy out he has.

We look at it from the perspective of a coach who has one winning season here and one at SJSU and a lot of losses. Some other ADs look at it from the view of a guy who took to losing teams to bowls, put CU in the top 10 for part of the year, and who was all over the COY awards this year. That's what they see selling their boosters.

We are going to have to significantly jump his salary and the assistants pool if we don't want to lose him. What may be a solution is a contract that has a large amount in initial years with later guarantees kicking in based on continued performance. Give us another 2 bowl seasons and top 25 rankings and the next 4 years of the contract become guaranteed at a higher rate, if not the lower guarantee kicks in. Protect both sides.

With a couple more solid years his next contract after that won't have any questions to it.

Other than Baylor, did any other schools even really sniff around Mac? Seems like this would have been the year to poach him (COY + easy to beat salary).

Other than Baylor, did any other schools even really sniff around Mac? Seems like this would have been the year to poach him (COY + easy to beat salary).

The Baylor smoke was coming from them.

I'm certain that other schools have been around but this might be good news for us. His agent not getting that news out there may mean that they are close to an agreement and are just waiting for the appropriate time to finalize and announce it. Hoping.

I believe the LA Rams were interested in Mac. Haven't heard anything since a few weeks ago on that.

RG said somewhere earlier in the season that he was getting queries from other programs about MM.

I know it's the mighty oregon but having our coaches leaving after finally having a good year for LATERAL moves is embarrassing.

People, not all, assuming MM is just going to reload and bring another stud DC in here who will fit with recruirs etc...I'm not that confident at the moment.

This

The chances of us getting another JmfL is probably not a lot better than 50/50. We should have been ready with money for lateral moves. Or maybe there is a non public problem.

This

The chances of us getting another JmfL is probably not a lot better than 50/50. We should have been ready with money for lateral moves. Or maybe there is a non public problem.

Could be, we are bringing better athletes although I thought we'd be doing better at db recruiting. But this team can't go back to giving up 30 points a game.

I wasn't naive to think JL wouldn't leave but it just eats at me that we lose coaches to lateral moves when so much monentum was built here.

Could be, we are bringing better athletes although I thought we'd be doing better at db recruiting. But this team can't go back to giving up 30 points a game.

I wasn't naive to think JL wouldn't leave but it just eats at me that we lose coaches to lateral moves when so much monentum was built here.
In my mind, a "lateral move" is to the same position at the same salary.

In my mind, a "lateral move" is to the same position at the same salary.

Unfortunately, similar position means more money at many P5 schools. Other AD and coaches are looking for sure-thing hires; those that make a splash amongst their boosters and fan bases. In addition to lower salary pool among our peers, a downside of our limit on multi-year contracts is our lack of buyouts. Serves as no barrier in pursuing our coaches (outside those select few). We are seeing those constraints play out and will continue to see each year that we have success on the field. Proven, respected, acknowledged coaches at CU make for easy targets.

Splash hires for boosters and fans are meaningless. Get the best coaches. Wins trump everything. Lose, and the boosters forget the splash quickly.

Unfortunately, similar position means more money at many P5 schools. Other AD and coaches are looking for sure-thing hires; those that make a splash amongst their boosters and fan bases. In addition to lower salary pool among our peers, a downside of our limit on multi-year contracts is our lack of buyouts. Serves as no barrier in pursuing our coaches (outside those select few). We are seeing those constraints play out and will continue to see each year that we have success on the field. Proven, respected, acknowledged coaches at CU make for easy targets.
l agree that our TABOR issues and salary levels hurt us. But I will say that Leavett was at $500K, which is pretty competitive for a coordinator and there were rumors, that I haven't seen corroborated, that CU was willing to jump him to around $800K. That is very competitive, if true.

It's not my money, but Leavitt is not worth $1.5M for CU. That would have had serious ramifications for the rest of our coaching salary pool.

Better to be able to offer good, competitive salaries for the whole staff than have 1 guy (who is likely to bolt for a HC gig soon anyway) sucking up a disproportionate share of our resources.

It's not my money, but Leavitt is not worth $1.5M for CU. That would have had serious ramifications for the rest of our coaching salary pool.

Better to be able to offer good, competitive salaries for the whole staff than have 1 guy (who is likely to bolt for a HC gig soon anyway) sucking up a disproportionate share of our resources.
I think it was 1.15 million a year which was reported last week or so. I would say that 1.15 would be worth it for CU if the guy was landing big time prospects left and right but if he is just a good DC then I can't see that being justified by RG and Mac. Assistant coaches are vital to replenishing the roster.

Who also coordinates the defense, the same side of the ball that your head coach is expert at.
If you are going to pay up for one side of the ball, it's not that one.

If we could lure Ronnie Bradford away USC, he would be a big upgrade over Charles Clarke. No offense to Clarke, just Bradford would be an ideal fit here. NFL player, played high school football in Colorado and at CU, and now has recruiting connections in LA. I saw Ronnie Bradford's twitter feed last night and it reminds me a lot of Chiaverini. Two coaches with Chev's passion (1 o and 2 D) recruiting for their alma mater could be awesome.
I'm really looking forward to hearing some news soon, even if it is just MMac's extension and pay raises for most of the staff. MMac needs to go at his own pace and get the right guys, but I'm starting to lose sleep over this.

Leavitt tweeted about drinking Pepsi with C. Clarke last night. His tweets ring hollow now.
CU should get out and make an announcement about the situation. At least thanking the two coaches for their service, wishing them well with their paychecks, and we are looking for their replacements now. It doesn't have to be much. All of the rumor and lack of information doesn't do us any good.

MM should
Leavitt tweeted about drinking Pepsi with C. Clarke last night. His tweets ring hollow now.
CU should get out and make an announcement about the situation. At least thanking the two coaches for their service, wishing them well with their paychecks, and we are looking for their replacements now. It doesn't have to be much. All of the rumor and lack of information doesn't do us any good.[/QUOTE

MM should have used the Alamo Bowl post game pressed to look forward/set the stage. Absent that he should have had a pressure on Jan 30 announcing at least one change.

Instead he incessantly thanked the seniors and congratulation self/all on 2016. Assuredly, 2016 was a great year, the seniors deserve praise. But hold Plati's notes up for all the see and read them? Then get curt on the one question about JL that was a softball set-up to show leadership and vision for 2017?!?!

Instead, there is a vacuum.

CU should get out and make an announcement about the situation. At least thanking the two coaches for their service, wishing them well with their paychecks, and we are looking for their replacements now. It doesn't have to be much. All of the rumor and lack of information doesn't do us any good.
I'm not sure how it hurts right us now unless Clark is somehow being ambiguous/dishonest with recruits during the dead period.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it hurts right us now unless Clark is somehow being ambiguous/dishonest with recruits during the dead period.
Probably only hurts the CU fan base. The lack of information diminishes fan excitement about the program. And for others like me eats into my work productivity. CU doesn't have to give much detail just address it. Especially now it is done. The coaches are probably all over it with the players and recruits.

If we could lure Ronnie Bradford away USC, he would be a big upgrade over Charles Clarke. No offense to Clarke, just Bradford would be an ideal fit here. NFL player, played high school football in Colorado and at CU, and now has recruiting connections in LA. I saw Ronnie Bradford's twitter feed last night and it reminds me a lot of Chiaverini. Two coaches with Chev's passion (1 o and 2 D) recruiting for their alma mater could be awesome.
I'm really looking forward to hearing some news soon, even if it is just MMac's extension and pay raises for most of the staff. MMac needs to go at his own pace and get the right guys, but I'm starting to lose sleep over this.

I think Bradford would be a major improvement in recruiting. Also worth mentioning that he knows special teams, especially coverage teams. Could be a big contributor in multiple ways.

I know this isn't necessarily unique to MM, but we sure did hear this A LOT in the "The Rise" videos. The only thing he left out was, "You've never arrived"

So youre saying that.... CU P5 < Oregon P5 ?

Great.

On top of the contract problem we apparently cant afford to pay? Im sorry but I dont buy that. A successful football program will receive revenue bumps for a lot of things like season tickets, merchandise, concessions, and giving. And we have a guy in the front office that clearly knows how to maximize that. Cause, he found the money to build the Champions Center and IPF.

Back