What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chipper: OU To Apply For PAC 12 Membership

Starting to get some push from the west to just go with OU/OSU/KU and KSU (if MU decides to go SEC instead of PAC).

**** that. With the exception of Norman (for traditional reasons), that is recruiting hell for everyone involved.

Yeah, Wally, I think the boomers are finally and completely fed up with "recent events". Plus, I heard something on the radio yesterday about grant money, etc., for AAU membership. I think David Boren and his posse are starry eyed at this possibility.

Put it all together and I have a pretty strong hunch that ou is headed west.

Is Ou not an AAU school already? I figured they were and OSU wasnt.

If you just go by athletic merit, Tech has a lot to be proud of. On academics, they have a plan and the funding in place to eventually be a Tier 1 research university.

Their problem is that they're in Lubbock, the population in west Texas is declining, and it's debatable whether TTU can deliver the cable systems in Amarillo, Midland, Abilene, San Angelo and El Paso... let alone Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio and Austin.

You may not like OU's "culture," but their academic rating, according to USNews, is right in the middle of the conference (PAC13/14), only a few places behind CU and it is hard to beat OU's football history. 7 National Championships, 5 Heismans... 1st team to top the AP 100 times. Texas pales in comparison there. Really, it is foootball we are talking about here afterall... if it wasn't this thread would be in the Pub, right?

USNWR academic rank:
PAC 12
5 Stanford
21 Cal
23 USC
25 UCLA
42 Washington
94 CU
101 Oregon
115 Washington St
124 Arizona
124 Utah
132 Arizona St
138 Oregon St

Schools in the mix (or for grins)
17 Rice
19 Notre Dame
45 Texas
71 BYU
90 Missouri
97 TCU
101 Kansas
101 Oklahoma
128 CSU
132 Oklahoma St
143 Kansas St
160 Texas Tech
181 New Mexico
Rank not published: University of Northern Colorado
Not ranked: Boise St University

Hate to say it, but the big drop academically is to us, but then would be another big drop to Texas Tech. Any talk about their academics should be recognized with special font. Not getting the love for Lubbock (except maybe wrt New Mexico). Pretty much any package brings the academic side down overall.

USNWR academic rank:
PAC 12
5 Stanford
21 Cal
23 USC
25 UCLA
42 Washington
94 CU
101 Oregon
115 Washington St
124 Arizona
124 Utah
132 Arizona St
138 Oregon St

Schools in the mix (or for grins)
17 Rice
19 Notre Dame
45 Texas
71 BYU
90 Missouri
97 TCU
101 Kansas
101 Oklahoma
128 CSU
132 Oklahoma St
143 Kansas St
160 Texas Tech
181 New Mexico
Rank not published: University of Northern Colorado
Not ranked: Boise St University

Hate to say it, but the big drop academically is to us, but then would be another big drop to Texas Tech. Any talk about their academics should be recognized with special font. Not getting the love for Lubbock (except maybe wrt New Mexico). Pretty much any package brings the academic side down overall.

How much legitimacy does USNWR have?

I guess i'll just use my diploma as a kleenex as I cry myself to sleep in a corner over how worthless my degree is, considering I graduated from a department that had 3 active nobel prize winners.

zbuff - the conferences don't use USNWR rankings. That's for undergraduate and they don't give a rats ass about that. It's all about graduate research and the prestige there. Cooperation (or perceived cooperation) results in grant money.

TTU is on its way to Tier 1 status on that criteria. It is also working to satisfy the requirements for AAU membership.

What the PAC, Big 10 and others use is ARWU. LINK

ARWU uses six objective indicators to rank world universities, including the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, number of highly cited researchers selected by Thomson Scientific, number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science, number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index - Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index, and per capita performance with respect to the size of an institution. More than 1000 universities are actually ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 are published on the web.

As you can see, ARWU doesn't care about liberal arts. Neither do university presidents, because grant money and high tuition foreign students don't come from there. In that ranking, TTU is in the 300s (really bad for the PAC) but it is definitely working on improvements that should move it up a lot.

Stanford #2
Cal #4
UCLA #12
Washington #16
Colorado #32
USC #46
ASU #78
Utah #79
Arizona #80
Oregon State (102-150 group)
Oregon (201-300 group)
Washington State (201-300 group)