What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chiv and Lindgren: Whats the relationship???

It must be convenient for your argument if you can twist every successful co- situation as one being in charge and the other non-existent. It's an extremely popular thing in college football now and many teams have found great success in it. All 4 teams in the playoffs had Co- situations, it's clearly not true that it never works. #7 TCU has had a Co- situation for years with respectable offensive minds in both roles, and it's something Patterson has stuck to even through changes, pretty sure he even had it on both sides of the ball previously.

Sonny Cumbie has called their plays as long as he's been there. That's why Doug Meacham went to Kansas.

I definitely expect some staff shake up this year. I hope it’s not Chiv heading elsewhere. Sure does seem like we miss Leavitt though, assuming he was the motivator on the staff.

Lets be objective-His unit has been a ginormous disappointment this year. Phil Steele had them as one of the top WR groups in the country preseason.

Sonny Cumbie has called their plays as long as he's been there. That's why Doug Meacham went to Kansas.
I never said otherwise, that doesn't really change the point at all, it's still a successful co- situation. It's not like you can have 2 people calling plays, just a matter of how much they're both involved in the game plan and how successful that game-plan is.

He was told to make a change. He wouldn’t. RG found him Chiv. MM did not want it. Suppported Lindgren. Balked at hire, but had no choice. Sure, he knew. But was very unhappy at every stage, including last year, especially bond between Chiv and Leavitt. He thought they were stealing the show.
If this is true, then that means RG is a Mike Bohn-level buffoon for giving Mac the extension. How do you give a coach an extension when you don't even trust him to hire his own assistants?

But at the same time, I don't believe it. It sounds too bizarre

I never said otherwise, that doesn't really change the point at all, it's still a successful co- situation. It's not like you can have 2 people calling plays, just a matter of how much they're both involved in the game plan and how successful that game-plan is.

Oh no I didn't say you did.....Meachem was pretty public when he left TCU for KU-he wanted a chance to call plays. Might have made a mistake by going to Kansas......and he might be a guy we could poach fairly easily if MM can be coaxed into showing BL the door.

If this is true, then that means RG is a Mike Bohn-level buffoon for giving Mac the extension. How do you give a coach an extension when you don't even trust him to hire his own assistants?

But at the same time, I don't believe it. It sounds too bizarre

Everything I've heard and read led me to believe Walters left here of his own accord (didn't get resigned) as well.........

Oh no I didn't say you did.....Meachem was pretty public when he left TCU for KU-he wanted a chance to call plays. Might have made a mistake by going to Kansas......and he might be a guy we could poach fairly easily if MM can be coaxed into showing BL the door.
Ah, misunderstood you. Yeah, thought the Kansas move really backfired, seems impossible to win there at this point.

Lets be objective-His unit has been a ginormous disappointment this year. Phil Steele had them as one of the top WR groups in the country preseason.
True, but he also seems to be one of our best recruiters. We need as many of those as we can get.

I see the old, let's blame everything bad on Lindgren and give all the credit to Chev argument is back. People get on Adams' ass for his unit regressing when Chev has seen the same issues.

Dumb takes everywhere in this thread but saying RG told MM to make a change when really Walters got a promotion to be OC at UCF is the dumbest one. And then saying Chev and Leavitt liked each other despite the offensive staff being pissed at him trying to get involved and then Chev tweeting out the Coke sign last year was also funny to read.

Whether the Co label being on assistant coaches has worked in the past or not? I don't like it. I personally see it as a tag given to Chev for the purpose of getting him here. I just do not see how you can have equals calling shots or even plays? Just seems it would cause conflict almost immediately. They each have their own philosophy and game plan, to be able to marry those together seems really confusing. As a player, who do you approach? I could see division immediately being caused between player/ BL/Chev. Maybe why the O looks so confused? Chev has done great with recruiting and especially his player position group. Not sure if he is ready for the keys to the car yet just based on experience, but everyone has to get their chance at some time. To sum it up - I do not like the Co tag...

BTW - I also find it discouraging that the best recruiters on the staff also has the biggest regression in positional group on the field.

Whether the Co label being on assistant coaches has worked in the past or not? I don't like it. I personally see it as a tag given to Chev for the purpose of getting him here. I just do not see how you can have equals calling shots or even plays? Just seems it would cause conflict almost immediately. They each have their own philosophy and game plan, to be able to marry those together seems really confusing. As a player, who do you approach? I could see division immediately being caused between player/ BL/Chev. Maybe why the O looks so confused? Chev has done great with recruiting and especially his player position group. Not sure if he is ready for the keys to the car yet just based on experience, but everyone has to get their chance at some time. To sum it up - I do not like the Co tag...
I think people are getting wayyyyy too caught up with the titles these guys have. There are a ton of examples of different coaches being responsible for different things, like Tumpkin being responsible for half time adjustments last year or Adams taking over that roll for the offense this year. Every coach has things they need to get done with their position group and then additional responsibilities in terms of the offense as a whole so not all of those responsibilities are put in their job description. Right now the issue is the offensive line struggling in the beginning of the year (and saturday after Irwin and Huckins went out), the receivers regressing and QB play seems to be inconsistent due to those factors and Montez not developing with all of the game reps. The co-coordinator thing really doesn't matter in this situation, if BL was the only OC people would still be pissed, it is just what happens when your team in struggling.

I see the old, let's blame everything bad on Lindgren and give all the credit to Chev argument is back. People get on Adams' ass for his unit regressing when Chev has seen the same issues.

Dumb takes everywhere in this thread but saying RG told MM to make a change when really Walters got a promotion to be OC at UCF is the dumbest one. And then saying Chev and Leavitt liked each other despite the offensive staff being pissed at him trying to get involved and then Chev tweeting out the Coke sign last year was also funny to read.
While your 2nd point is fair, all I've seen is Chev get **** for the last several weeks so I don't know where you've been.

I never understood this line of thinking. I hope our AD never mandates personnel changes on the staff of any coach. I'd prefer he lay out specific performance metrics then let Mac go about achieving them however he sees fit. There's a reason RG is an AD and not a football coach.
That works in normal circumstances. MM has not shown the capacit, however, to make these changes in the past, thus they were mandated. I hope MM does not make the same mistake again this year.

That works in normal circumstances. MM has not shown the capacit, however, to make these changes in the past, thus they were mandated. I hope MM does not make the same mistake again this year.

Turn it around. Why would an assistant coach accept a position the head coach is opposed to? I definitely wouldn't take a job that was offered by the VP but opposed by the director I'd report to. That's ridiculous and sells all of the coaches involved short.

If RG is a great AD, he'll function as Sinkratz explained.

If he is a great coach, MM will have a plan ready the day after the season for RG to approve. Last time he announced “no changes” and hadn’t even had his year end review with RG. Then balked when he got called on the carpet for changes. Lame. Weak. Not leader behavior.

I don't know if it matters what relationship Chiv and Lingren have. What is obvious after all these years with Lindgren is that he isn't a very good offensive coordinator and that Chiv can recruit, but that his players have regressed under his coaching (Which at some point is going to start impacting his ability to recruit). At this point, I have no doubt that an offensive coordinator needs to be brought in from outside of the program. I think Chiv should be retained, but to do that he is going to have to swallow some pride. Of course, I think there is almost a 0% chance MM makes any of these moves and I agree with @SINKRATZ that I don't want RG trying to force decisions on a coach.

If you don't trust your HC to hire his own staff then you have the wrong HC and should get rid of him. You don't mandate specific changes or force coaches on him that he didn't hire - that's not what good ADs do.

The OL is so bad at pass blocking changes need to be made after the season. We have now been manhandled by 5 teams with tiny DL's (CSU, TX ST, UNC, AS, WSU). MAYBE a change at OC too. We need an identity on O. Let Lindgren go.....
Chiv is the only one that can recruit. Just give him the keys to the O and see what happens.

The OL is so bad at pass blocking changes need to be made after the season. We have now been manhandled by 5 teams with tiny DL's (CSU, TX ST, UNC, AS, WSU). MAYBE a change at OC too. We need an identity on O. Let Lindgren go.....
Chiv is the only one that can recruit. Just give him the keys to the O and see what happens.
Agreed....Baer=Lindgren? Does MM push him out the door at the end of the season? All I can say is that Chiv is co-nothing from what I can see....their relationship is strained based on facial responses during that interview....and this offense....was a complete joke last week. Buffs lockerroom has to be a mess right about now...

I know MM thinks Lindgren is the QB whisperer coming from San Jose St (David Fales, Sefo...)....but I think Chiv is the Recruiter, Motivator, Driver....You never see Lindgren giving pep talks in those "Rise" videos......What a waste of WR talent this year

The refusal to add Chev to the "issues" pile is hilarious here. Sure he's a good recruiter, but we've seen his group stink it up just as much, if not more, than the rest of the offense. Even if you buy the conspiracy theory that he's not having any input into the offense, his position group hasn't been doing their jobs and has regressed in a big way the longer they've been under his tutelage.

It's a stupid, childish theory that Chev is blameless for our offense's inconsistency and putridness.

The refusal to add Chev to the "issues" pile is hilarious here. Sure he's a good recruiter, but we've seen his group stink it up just as much, if not more, than the rest of the offense. Even if you buy the conspiracy theory that he's not having any input into the offense, his position group hasn't been doing their jobs and has regressed in a big way the longer they've been under his tutelage.

It's a stupid, childish theory that Chev is blameless for our offense's inconsistency and putridness.
No doubt that the WR's have regressed this year. Drops, lack of separation. Besides Bobo, they have not stepped up.

I never understood this line of thinking. I hope our AD never mandates personnel changes on the staff of any coach. I'd prefer he lay out specific performance metrics then let Mac go about achieving them however he sees fit. There's a reason RG is an AD and not a football coach.
I actually agree with you. I’m just sick of MMac’s stubbornness with keeping certain coaches...frustrated.

Someone help me out. What does a Passing Game Coordinator or Run Game Coordinator do?? serious question.

Agreed....Baer=Lindgren? Does MM push him out the door at the end of the season? All I can say is that Chiv is co-nothing from what I can see....their relationship is strained based on facial responses during that interview....and this offense....was a complete joke last week. Buffs lockerroom has to be a mess right about now...

Where are these interviews everyone is talking about?? Could I please get a link!

Back