What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

The monetary difference between a 1st round and say 4th or 5th round (or potentially lower if he were to blow out his ACL or Achilles) is pretty substantial, along with a team's willingness to stick with a player through poor play, injury, off-field issues, etc. as well as pecking order for playing time.

There are easier ways to make money than through football.

Thank goodness fans of money have the stock market to cheer.

Football players play football. That's what they do. It's that simple.

If it were all about balancing earning potential with injury risk, Christian should have taken up golf.

I feel like the majority of your arguments pertaining to this subject have been pretty fictitious from the beginning.

I don't think your grasp of the word fictitious means what you think it means. Other than that, we know where each other stand.

There are easier ways to make money than through football.

Thank goodness fans of money have the stock market to cheer.

Football players play football. That's what they do. It's that simple.

If it were all about balancing earning potential with injury risk, Christian should have taken up golf.
Glad you feel entitled to tell someone else how they should start their career or make their money. Keep going, Skid, you're doing well with this one. Almost as well as the uniform argument(s)!

The monetary difference between a 1st round and say 4th or 5th round (or potentially lower if he were to blow out his ACL or Achilles) is pretty substantial, along with a team's willingness to stick with a player through poor play, injury, off-field issues, etc. as well as pecking order for playing time.

First, he does have an insurance policy to cover that type of drop. Second, he would be very unlikely to drop that far when we consider guys who suffered injuries in similar situations like McGahee (1st round) and Jaylon Smith (2nd round). Third, injury risk when working out or practicing while doing non-contact stuff is not like it's injury-free.

I don't believe that McCaffrey made this decision based on money since it wouldn't seem to be a driving thing for a person in his circumstances.

I don't believe that McCaffrey made this decision based on fear of injury since I've never known a football player who played afraid or worried about injury unless he was already injured and thinking about going.

I do believe that McCaffrey was mentally done with college football and his mind turned toward his NFL dream.

I don't think your grasp of the word fictitious means what you think it means. Other than that, we know where each other stand.
Haha the guy who said "fictitional" in a prior post is attempting to give me a grammar/vocabulary lesson? Again, keep going! You're on fire!

Edit: I see the edit button was quickly used

Glad you feel entitled to tell someone else how they should start their career or make their money. Keep going, Skid, you're doing well with this one. Almost as well as the uniform argument(s)!

You are going to have to explain to me how voicing my opinion is the same as telling Christian McCaffrey what to do. Seems like we think you are pretty good at telling the board what to do.

Bringing my opinion about uniforms is weak and has nothing to do with this. And we both know it.

You are going to have to explain to me how voicing my opinion is the same as telling Christian McCaffrey what to do. Seems like we think you are pretty good at telling the board what to do.

Bringing my opinion about uniforms is weak and has nothing to do with this. And we both know it.
It's all just our opinions, right? Do difference from my end.

It's all just our opinions, right? Do difference from my end.

I wouldn't say "just" in this context. The both of us are pretty embedded in our different opinions.

I can respect just how tightly you cling to your opinion, despite how poorly you choose to defend your view.

That same college team and college game that he is abandoning is the one that allowed him to significantly enhance his value and go from being a HS kid in a backwater state (footballwise) to being a candidate for early round draft status. That team that he is to special to go out and risk his precious body for are the ones who gave their all so he could become the "superstar."

Yes he has the right to not play, doesn't change the fact that is is a very "me" oriented selfish move turning his back on those who will never have a shot at the NFL but who busted their tails so that he could get the shot at his dream.

If he didn't want to play the whole season he should have sat the whole season out, don't start something and then bail out on your teammates when it serves your interest.

I wouldn't say "just" in this context. The both of us are pretty embedded in our different opinions.

I can respect just how tightly you cling to your opinion, despite how poorly you choose to defend your view.
I believe I've been clear that I respect the athletes choice to do whatever they want as soon as they are eligible for the draft.

35 year olds sure are sensitive to what 21 year old kids do with their lives.

That's because this isn't as much about Christian McCafferey's selfish decision not to Sun Bowl as it is about the importance that college football holds as a beloved cultural institution.

That same college team and college game that he is abandoning is the one that allowed him to significantly enhance his value and go from being a HS kid in a backwater state (footballwise) to being a candidate for early round draft status. That team that he is to special to go out and risk his precious body for are the ones who gave their all so he could become the "superstar."

Yes he has the right to not play, doesn't change the fact that is is a very "me" oriented selfish move turning his back on those who will never have a shot at the NFL but who busted their tails so that he could get the shot at his dream.

If he didn't want to play the whole season he should have sat the whole season out, don't start something and then bail out on your teammates when it serves your interest.
NFL players have compared the league to the slave trade. I happen to believe these comparisons are a complete crock of **** and think the players who have made those comments in the past are ****ing morons. With that said, the NCAA and college football is the real "slave trade" in sports, if we're being honest. No other institution takes more advatage of amateurs than this sport, yet you are trying to defend it because "they gave these players the chance" to become stars.

NFL players have compared the league to the slave trade. I happen to believe these comparisons are a complete crock of **** and think the players who have made those comments in the past are ****ing morons. With that said, the NCAA and college football is the real "slave trade" in sports, if we're being honest. No other institution takes more advatage of amateurs than this sport, yet you are trying to defend it because "they gave these players the chance" to become stars.

If there's a problem, it's with the professional leagues colluding with the player's unions to put age restrictions on when an athlete can join a pro league.

College sports funds scholarships for hundreds of people at a given university. Football contracts pay for most of that, with men's basketball and other revenue sources also helping to pay the bills. People talk about the money football makes as if it exists in a vacuum without talking about the fact that it's part of a larger organization - the athletic department - which loses money every year at just about every university. Mission and obligations extend far beyond the sport of football and this is actually required by federal laws and statutes with Title IX and other legislation.

I would 100% support the pro leagues and their unions getting rid of the age restrictions to allow people to start earning a check as soon as someone is willing to pay them. Forget the one-and-done idiocy in hoops. Forget the convoluted system they have with JUCO & 4-year college stipulations in baseball. Forget the "3 years removed from high school" idiocy in football. And, dammit, if you choose to be on a college team for a season you stick with your teammates until that season is over as long as you are healthy enough to play.

Oh yeah, college football is a real slave trade, they put McCaffrey in shackles and forced him to play this year. They also forced him to get the opportunity for a Stanford education which he would get even if he didn't turn out to be a star.

Bottom line is if he didn't want to commit to being part of the team he didn't have to. The fans and the donors supported the program that allowed him to develop and show his skills then at the moment convenient for him he bails out. Nobody forced him to go to Stanford, nobody forced him to be part of the program when it served his purposes.

Did he make money for the school, sure he did just like the majority of his teammates didn't make money for the school. Fact is that most organizations exist to make money and the people who work for them make money for them. If they didn't "take advantage of" their participants they wouldn't exist. You sound like Friedrich Engles with this argument. Fact is that being a part of the Stanford program was a benefit to him, he can at least be decent enough to finish the year with them if he can.

Simple bottom line. Is he a teammate or is he a self-centered individual taking advantage of others then dumping them when it serves his purpose.

Yes he has the right, just like an employee working without a binding contract has the right to go to a competitor for more money or even use what he/she learned to create a direct competitor. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do though, even if the employer was "taking advantage" of them by making money off their efforts.

What?? Eddie Lacy was already hurt and is on IR, but Latavius Murray and Le'Veon Bell don't have legit shot at the Super Bowl?? What are you talking about?
No, Murray doesn't, Raiders are toast without Carr. I'll give you Bell. My point was that his situation is no different than any under market free agent that doesn't have a realistic chance at the SB. There are plenty of them.

Oh yeah, college football is a real slave trade, they put McCaffrey in shackles and forced him to play this year. They also forced him to get the opportunity for a Stanford education which he would get even if he didn't turn out to be a star.

Bottom line is if he didn't want to commit to being part of the team he didn't have to. The fans and the donors supported the program that allowed him to develop and show his skills then at the moment convenient for him he bails out. Nobody forced him to go to Stanford, nobody forced him to be part of the program when it served his purposes.

Did he make money for the school, sure he did just like the majority of his teammates didn't make money for the school. Fact is that most organizations exist to make money and the people who work for them make money for them. If they didn't "take advantage of" their participants they wouldn't exist. You sound like Friedrich Engles with this argument. Fact is that being a part of the Stanford program was a benefit to him, he can at least be decent enough to finish the year with them if he can.

Simple bottom line. Is he a teammate or is he a self-centered individual taking advantage of others then dumping them when it serves his purpose.

Yes he has the right, just like an employee working without a binding contract has the right to go to a competitor for more money or even use what he/she learned to create a direct competitor. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do though, even if the employer was "taking advantage" of them by making money off their efforts.
Jesus. tl/dr

Did you just equate NCAA football to the slave trade?

Yes. Yes you did. Unbelievable.
Read more.

I'm just not sure why you think I've done a poor job of arguing my position. I know I didn't comment on players gaining fans in small town America, but I feel I've articulated my argument well enough.

I think you'd find more sympathetic readership on OrangeMayne.

Our basis for laughing at you is for bringing the uniform thread into this as one of your arguments and for also making some bogus assumptions about my Palo Alto real estate quip as it relates to opportunities rich kids should have to make money.:ROFLMAO:

That wasn't where I was going at all. Yet you had an ax to grind on the subject and started swinging away anyway.

We thought that was funny.

:rolleyes:

Did you just equate NCAA football to the slave trade?

Yes. Yes you did. Unbelievable.
Read more.

I think you'd find more sympathetic readership on OrangeMayne.

Our basis for laughing at you is for bringing the uniform thread into this as a basis of your argument and for also making some bogus assumptions about my Palo Alto real estate quip as it relates to opportunities rich kids should have to make money.:ROFLMAO:

That wasn't where I was going at all. Yet you had an ax to grind on the subject and started swinging away anyway.

We thought that was funny.
An axe to grind? How ironic, coming from the guy calling out a college kid for making a career decision. It honestly seems like there's more axes to grind on your side of the fence because the player in question is a McCaffrey. We all know how a lot of people here have a pretty big axe to grind with that family.

You're making it sound like he had nothing to do with his own success. You could easily argue that he carried last year's Stanford team on his back to a conference title and Rose Bowl victory. Whether you agree with his decision or not, he's given plenty to that program.

Contrary to the belief of some here, athletes put themselves above the team all the time, this is just another instance. Players leave college early to go pro, they transfer when they don't get playing time they think they deserve, they sit out late season games when they've clinched playoff berths, they demand trades, and they sit out practices and games in contract holdouts.

The idea that sports are all team first is ignoring reality.

Wait until one or two of our recruits blow their knee out playing in a meaningless all-star game. Directly effecting our team and the teams future. I hate these all-star games. Given the bad luck that for some reason always strikes the buffs.

Lmao the slave trade?!! Are you serious?Why then would you devote so much of your time supporting a slave trade type industry

You're making it sound like he had nothing to do with his own success. You could easily argue that he carried last year's Stanford team on his back to a conference title and Rose Bowl victory. Whether you agree with his decision or not, he's given plenty to that program.

Contrary to the belief of some here, athletes put themselves above the team all the time, this is just another instance. Players leave college early to go pro, they transfer when they don't get playing time they think they deserve, they sit out late season games when they've clinched playoff berths, they demand trades, and they sit out practices and games in contact holdouts.

The idea that sports are all team first is ignoring reality.

Football is a team sport. The individual stars get the attention but it is a team game.

No argument that he had a lot to do with Stanford's success, he is a highly talented player who has given a lot. I just see this as a very selfish move on his part ignoring the work that his teammates have done to put him into a position to shine.

If he wanted to sit out fine, sit out the season, if he is hurt sit out and get healthy. I have a problem with an attitude that someone starts something then bails on their teammates when it is convenient for them. Be a teammate.

And you are right athletes put themselves in front in front of the team all the time. Doesn't make it right.

An axe to grind? How ironic, coming from the guy calling out a college kid for making a career decision. It honestly seems like there's more axes to grind on your side of the fence because the player in question is a McCaffrey. We all know how a lot of people here have a pretty big axe to grind with that family.

Way to grasp at straws. Tell me more about the slave trade.

To be clear, I have never challenged the right that CM has to make decisions for himself to be as selfish as he needs to be.

It's disingenuous of you to claim otherwise.

I'm equal opportunity. It's a selfish choice for any college player to bail on their Bowl team because of their NFL draft stock.

We think you would be wise to drop your fictional narrative about this being isolated to McCaffrey.

Football is a team sport. The individual stars get the attention but it is a team game.

No argument that he had a lot to do with Stanford's success, he is a highly talented player who has given a lot. I just see this as a very selfish move on his part ignoring the work that his teammates have done to put him into a position to shine.

If he wanted to sit out fine, sit out the season, if he is hurt sit out and get healthy. I have a problem with an attitude that someone starts something then bails on their teammates when it is convenient for them. Be a teammate.

And you are right athletes put themselves in front in front of the team all the time. Doesn't make it right.
You're making a big assumption that the rest of the team is upset about this decision - I'm not sure that was necessarily the case, but regardless I'll assume you view every contract holdout and transfer with the same disdain.

Back