What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

Good for him, it still may have been a very expensive decision. McCaffrey's decision is looking better all the time.

Doubt it. He's polarizing fans of NFL vs fans of College.

Hardcore college fans see McCaffrey's choice as undermining a beloved institution ... because it's the ****ing Sun Bowl in El Paso.

America has plenty of small market towns. Football fans in Tucson, El Paso, Shrieveport, and every other non-NFL city see the trend here. McCaffrey embodies the NFL draft and salary machine as thumbing its collective nose at small city America.

Chances are a few people in El Paso, especially those who wanted a rare chance to see a Heisman candidate play, will not ever cheer tor CM and his fancy paycheck because being snubbed is something you don't forget.

If the NFL had its act together, it would encourage McCaffrey to play in order to help expand its customer base. This selfish move shrinks an already shrinking NFL fan base.

So Latavius Murray, William Gholston, Eddie Lacy, Jamie Collins, Le'Veon Bell and any other under market free agent should sit out today, and the playoffs since none of their teams have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl? There is no difference between this and McCaffrey, Fornette, Peppers etc.

No difference... aside from their contracts wherein they're paid for their services?

So Latavius Murray, William Gholston, Eddie Lacy, Jamie Collins, Le'Veon Bell and any other under market free agent should sit out today, and the playoffs since none of their teams have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl? There is no difference between this and McCaffrey, Fornette, Peppers etc.

Doubt it. He's polarizing fans of NFL vs fans of College.

Hardcore college fans see McCaffrey's choice as undermining a beloved institution ... because it's the ****ing Sun Bowl in El Paso.

America has plenty of small market towns. Football fans in Tucson, El Paso, Shrieveport, and every other non-NFL city see the trend here. McCaffrey embodies the NFL draft and salary machine as thumbing its collective nose at small city America.

Chances are a few people in El Paso, especially those who wanted a rare chance to see a Heisman candidate play, will not ever cheer tor CM and his fancy paycheck because being snubbed is something you don't forget.

If the NFL had its act together, it would encourage McCaffrey to play in order to help expand its customer base. This selfish move shrinks an already shrinking NFL fan base.
Oh so now MCaffrey is supposed to make decisions based on how it might play in small town America?? Give me a break. Players have a limited window to play and make as much money as they can in the process - it's not McCaffrey's job to get people in El Paso to cheer for him.

Let me ask you this: whose draft stock took a bigger hit this week, McCaffrey's or Butt's?

Oh so now MCaffrey is supposed to make decisions based on how it might play in small town America?? Give me a break. Players have a limited window to play and make as much money as they can in the process - it's not McCaffrey's job to get people in El Paso to cheer for him.

Let me ask you this: whose draft stock took a bigger hit this week, McCaffrey's or Butt's?

You choose to see this debate as being settled by $$$$ as it relates to draft stock.

I am framing the debate as to what is best for the NFL and the College game. How is it good for the NFL for when money politics of the pro draft is removing exposure of elite players from the college fanbase?

Do you know who isn't on ESPN's top plays tonight? Christian McCaffrey. Why? Because the Cleveland Browns or some other NFL team might pay him an amount that 99.99 percent of Americans will never earn.

Hahahahahahhahaaa. You think a scholarship, etc. is equivalent to getting paid real money? That's a good one. It is not even equivalent in "value" to the contracts the players you listed have agreed to in the market.

Free education, room and board, stipend, free tutors, training table, etc.

McCaffrey obviously has earned the respect and devotion of some of the posters on this board, so whether or not it ends up being a financially beneficial decision for him, he has clearly made some fans for life.

You choose to see this debate as being settled by $$$$ as it relates to draft stock.

I am framing the debate as to what is best for the NFL and the College game. How is it good for the NFL for when money politics of the pro draft is removing exposure of elite players from the college fanbase?

Do you know who isn't on ESPN's top plays tonight? Christian McCaffrey. Why? Because the Cleveland Browns or some other NFL team might pay him an amount that 99.99 percent of Americans will never earn.
The whole thread was about McCaffrey's decision, so that's what I'm responding to. The state of the game isn't one player's responsibility.

Of course it isn't good for the game to have players sit and as a college football fan I'm disappointed, but I also think it was probably a very good decision on his part.

In effect, McCaffrey was betting that the likelihood of being severely injured was greater than the benefit of playing that one game that was the crowning accomplishment of Stanford's 10-3 season.

His choice to sit this one out will result in one game that hundreds of thousands of CFB fans will hold against him for his entire NFL career.

I get it. Christian can't take any risks because of the money. Otherwise, it's going to be hard to get his grammy who raised him out of low income housing.

He comes from a wealthy family, people. If it's about the money, that's greed without an attached need to change his circumstances. So we should end that line of argument because if it is about the money then it just makes him look worse.

This is about him living his dream of the NFL. That's fine. But it's a selfish decision where he decided he was done with his team and teammates because he was ready to turn the page on that chapter of his life and focus on a pro career. Draft position doesn't impact him other than with it being an ego bump if he gets picked higher.

Hahahahahahhahaaa. You think a scholarship, etc. is equivalent to getting paid real money? That's a good one. It is not even equivalent in "value" to the contracts the players you listed have agreed to in the market.
Tell that to the kid who works 30 hours a week and lives with 6 roommates. The actual benefits that a CU player receive are well over the $75K/year mark; I imagine Stanford's are higher. Very naive outlook. to think McCaffery's et al. situations aren't identical to the under market NFL free agents.

In effect, McCaffrey was betting that the likelihood of being severely injured was greater than the benefit of playing that one game that was the crowning accomplishment of Stanford's 10-3 season.

His choice to sit this one out will result in one game that hundreds of thousands of CFB fans will hold against him for his entire NFL career.
That is so dramatic - people will forget this the day after draft night and his fantasy football owners will love him after his first score.

I get it. Christian can't take any risks because of the money. Otherwise, it's going to be hard to get his grammy who raised him out of low income housing.

He comes from a wealthy family, people. If it's about the money, that's greed without an attached need to change his circumstances. So we should end that line of argument because if it is about the money then it just makes him look worse.

This is about him living his dream of the NFL. That's fine. But it's a selfish decision where he decided he was done with his team and teammates because he was ready to turn the page on that chapter of his life and focus on a pro career. Draft position doesn't impact him other than with it being an ego bump if he gets picked higher.
This sounds eerily familiar to the debate about Jay Mac getting a scholarship - his family is wealthy too. Are all those calling McCaffrey selfish also the ones who thought Jay Mac was selfish for taking a scholarship even though it was a dream of his?

That is so dramatic - people will forget this the day after draft night and his fantasy football owners will love him after his first score.

He could just as likely drink a cup of coffee in the league and fall back on his degree to become a working stiff like the rest of us.

I agree that the NFL draft stock fanbois have already forgotten he hasn't played.

The memory of College football fans is pretty long. It's not to be underestimated.

This sounds eerily familiar to the debate about Jay Mac getting a scholarship - his family is wealthy too. Are all those calling McCaffrey selfish also the ones who thought Jay Mac was selfish for taking a scholarship even though it was a dream of his?

I don't see the similarity. No one is saying that McCaffrey shouldn't go to the NFL or agree to a contract below his market value.

He could just as likely drink a cup of coffee in the league and fall back on his degree to become a working stiff like the rest of us.

I agree that the NFL draft stock fanbois have already forgotten he hasn't played.

The memory of College football fans is pretty long. It's not to be underestimated.
I remember when John Elway refused to play for the team that drafted him - it was the ultimate selfish move and fans never let him forget it. Just think how beloved he would have been if he didn't have that dark cloud hanging over him the rest of his life.

I remember when John Elway refused to play for the team that drafted him - it was the ultimate selfish move and fans never let him forget it. Just think how beloved he would have been if he didn't have that dark cloud hanging over him the rest of his life.

Outside of Denver, he's not beloved. Never had the national commercials like Marino did, for example. He's respected nationally, but he's only loved locally. For a more recent example, look at Eli. People still don't like him because our indelible image is of his sour puss face over being picked #1 by San Diego. By all accounts, much more relatable and good locker room guy than Peyton but the public image is bad other than riding Peyton's coattails. Despite 2 Super Bowl rings in the largest media market.

The NFL's rookie minimum salary is $450K per year. It is their lowest salary point for a rostered player. The bulk of the players you listed have guaranteed money & salaries far above the rookie minimum.

If you believe $75K in perks is equivalent to the spending power of $450K+ in real money, I suppose we have different versions of the concept of "equivalence".

Tell that to the kid who works 30 hours a week and lives with 6 roommates. The actual benefits that a CU player receive are well over the $75K/year mark; I imagine Stanford's are higher. Very naive outlook. to think McCaffery's et al. situations aren't identical to the under market NFL free agents.

I don't see the similarity. No one is saying that McCaffrey shouldn't go to the NFL or agree to a contract below his market value.
It's very similar. You're calling the guy greedy because of this decision considering his family is wealthy. The MacIntyre's are wealthy, but Jay Mac's dream was to earn a football scholarship so is it not also greedy to give his kid a scholarship?

Back