What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

I see them (Bowl Games) as a reward for end of season / having a good season. It's about the "team". When one player or coach skips that, it's like a slap in the face to the rest of the team. What about a situation where the back-up barely or didn't play at all, all season? Now all of a sudden is the guy.

I don't think that anyone thinks the player doesn't have "the right" to sit out a bowl game if they don't want to play in it. It's his life, he can do what he wants.

But, it is a selfish move, pure and simple. He is putting himself first. Sure other people may understand that, and hell, even support it, but they cannot deny that it is a selfish move.

The larger question that a future employer, or teammate, or spouse, or friend, needs to evaluate is where does that selfishness end? Is it pervasive, or is it limited to the football field? Is it a one time deal for the jump to the NFL, or will it surface again in a "garbage game" in Detroit next December? Is there a dollar amount attached to it?

Like it or not, he's branded himself as a mercenary player, and not a team guy. It's going to be a hard label to shake, if he ever can shake it. There are plenty of good, well paid mercenary players in the no fun league - so he won't be alone.

But that last sentence is also one of the larger reasons why I'm not much of a fan of the NFL these days.

"Man , that guy is soooo soft. If I were out there I would show how my team how much heart I have and man up. I mean, who cares about the money. I wouldn't if I were him." -
stock-photo-fat-man-eats-fast-food-while-watching-tv-at-home-211449784.jpg

I don't think that anyone thinks the player doesn't have "the right" to sit out a bowl game if they don't want to play in it. It's his life, he can do what he wants.

But, it is a selfish move, pure and simple. He is putting himself first. Sure other people may understand that, and hell, even support it, but they cannot deny that it is a selfish move.

The larger question that a future employer, or teammate, or spouse, or friend, needs to evaluate is where does that selfishness end? Is it pervasive, or is it limited to the football field? Is it a one time deal for the jump to the NFL, or will it surface again in a "garbage game" in Detroit next December? Is there a dollar amount attached to it?

Like it or not, he's branded himself as a mercenary player, and not a team guy. It's going to be a hard label to shake, if he ever can shake it. There are plenty of good, well paid mercenary players in the no fun league - so he won't be alone.

But that last sentence is also one of the larger reasons why I'm not much of a fan of the NFL these days.
Of course it's selfish, but it's also a sign that he's ready to be a pro. He's putting the interests of himself and future employer (who will be paying him a lot of money) over that of his school that doesn't pay him.

If he can play, he'll have a job in the league - the idea that somehow being selfish will scare away teams is ludicrous.

Didn't Mac 1 change our offensive scheme completely one year. He used it to look forward to the following year, not to reward the existing season.

Other than the 4 teams in the playoff, the rest of the coaches see these games as 15 extra practices that can jump start them into spring football.

Each team has a mix of seniors on it. Some will be playing in their last football game ever. Some are still trying to show they have what it takes to get to the next level. These guys want to play every play so they can keep auditioning. Then you have a select few that are for sure going to be playing on Sundays. I have no problem what so ever that these guys sit out a meaningless bowl game.

Of course it's selfish, but it's also a sign that he's ready to be a pro. He's putting the interests of himself and future employer (who will be paying him a lot of money) over that of his school that doesn't pay him.

If he can play, he'll have a job in the league - the idea that somehow being selfish will scare away teams is ludicrous.
I never said it would scare a team away. One of my points was that there are lots of mercenaries in the NFL, so I even provided support disproving that it would scare a team away.

On the other hand, NFL teams that have too many mercenaries don't tend to do well over the long run, "team first" guys get rewarded too, and are arguably more important to the long term on-field success of a NFL franchise (notice "on-field success" not "financial success") - but of course, you can have an argument about that too.

Regardless, it's an approach and an attitude that I do not appreciate, and it in fact repels me as a fan.

Which is why I hate the encroachment of that approach and attitude into the college game.

So now it's noble because he's protecting some NFL team? Hahahaha

Didn't Mac 1 change our offensive scheme completely one year. He used it to look forward to the following year, not to reward the existing season.

Other than the 4 teams in the playoff, the rest of the coaches see these games as 15 extra practices that can jump start them into spring football.

Each team has a mix of seniors on it. Some will be playing in their last football game ever. Some are still trying to show they have what it takes to get to the next level. These guys want to play every play so they can keep auditioning. Then you have a select few that are for sure going to be playing on Sundays. I have no problem what so ever that these guys sit out a meaningless bowl game.
This is correct.

I'm surprised by so many people who think he did anything wrong, but then this is a college football site.

He's in a meaningless bowl, has been injured before, and has a chance to make more money through the NFL than any other opportunity he could possibly have. Why would you risk that?

Believe it or not most of these kids dream of NFL, not Hyundai® Sun Bowl games...

Poor little Stanford kid is too good for the Sun Bowl. GMAFB

Hope he is drafted to play in some NFL backwater like Jacksonville, Cleveland, Indianapolis, or Detroit.

I'm guessing the Pro Bowl will be out of the question, no matter if he's good enough to get there or not.

So now it's noble because he's protecting some NFL team? Hahahaha
Wouldn't say noble, but him already focusing on doing what it takes to be the best pro he can be (at the expense of some Sun Bowl swag and a fun trip to El Paso), would be a positive in some GM's eyes I would imagine. Do you think GM's look down on players that skip the pro bowl for imagined injuries?

This whole concept of him being seen as a mercenary and that it would somehow hurt him is silly. The whole NFL is a collection of mercenaries playing for their next contract. The number of players loyal to an organization is tiny and even smaller among non established veterans.

John Elway refused to play for the team that drafted him - that's about selfish as it gets and that worked out OK for him.

I'd imagine Son of Ed was given quite a bit of sage advice before making his decision. I'd imagine he also discussed it with his coaching staff and teammates. I doubt he made a decision and announced it to the media prior to discussing it with the inner sanctum. Unlike, cough, cough, our former defensive coordinator who skipped out on his team before the bowl game without telling anyone.

TheCARDboard weighs in.

"Shouldn't the name of this thread be changed to Ugly Sun Bowl Situation?

Tree won't be there
Band won't be there
Player won't be there"
- BurgXXIII

Just lie. Lay low for the bowl practices, say he became ill with a minor virus and did not want to travel. Christian does not seem like a kid who would go full Johnny Football away from the team.

Just lie. Lay low for the bowl practices, say he became ill with a minor virus and did not want to travel. Christian does not seem like a kid who would go full Johnny Football away from the team.

Exactly the right approach.

His tweet is taking oxygen out of the room. It's all "me, me, me."

No way a privileged young man of, ahem, his ethnic heritage, with a 3.4 GPA from a prestigious school and national exposure as a heisman candidate would be destitute. McCaffrey has multimillion dollar insurance policies out on him. Let's not pretend mccaffrey is some kind of hardship case whose future prosperity rests in the balance as to whether or not he suits up at the Sun Bowl and escapes without injury.

As team captain, he is not representing the interests of his linemen who blocked for him over the years.

He is not doing any favors to fans who cheer him on and already booked plane tickets.

He is not doing any favors to college football by choosing greed as his excuse for not playing.

It would be much better for him to play a series, sign some autographs. and then suport Shaw's prenegotiated decision to start the youth movement in El Paso for the 2017 season.

Just read a quote from someone a lot smarter then me, and it makes since.

So now it's the bowl game. In a year or two it will be the last game of the season, next it will be the last 2 or three games of the season, when does it stop??
also - once you say you are done, you should be forfeiting your rights to use the facilities (from a legal stand point)? If you get hurt while "training" and you are done, kinda leaves the University's insurance out there dangling. A good lawyer would have a field day.

His mistake was being honest on why he wasn't going to play in the bowl game. He should have just "tweaked" his hamstring during practice and sat out of the game. Since being honest sounds like he is rapidly moving down the draft and now in the future he is going to sit out games at the end of the season because they don't mean anything. He has now in the span of a couple of days suddenly become a quitter on his teammates and now is being selfish. This kid did everything for his team. KO returns, check. Punt returner, check. Running back, check. Pass receiver, check. Pass blocker, check. This kid is nothing but a team player. If teams are going to pass over him because of this. Then there is a reason why they are drafting early.

Exactly the right approach.

His tweet is taking oxygen out of the room. It's all "me, me, me."

No way a privileged young man of, ahem, his ethnic heritage, with a 3.4 GPA from a prestigious school and national exposure as a heisman candidate would be destitute. McCaffrey has multimillion dollar insurance policies out on him. Let's not pretend mccaffrey is some kind of hardship case whose future prosperity rests in the balance as to whether or not he suits up at the Sun Bowl and escapes without injury.

As team captain, he is not representing the interests of his linemen who blocked for him over the years.

He is not doing any favors to fans who cheer him on and already booked plane tickets.

He is not doing any favors to college football by choosing greed as his excuse for not playing.

It would be much better for him to play a series, sign some autographs. and then suport Shaw's prenegotiated decision to start the youth movement in El Paso for the 2017 season.
If I were one of his OL, I would call him out in the post game presser...

Yep! - or at spring camp announced that he would be leaving early and not play in any after season games, what if they made the playoffs?? Oh so selfish. You can get that entitlement when you play ball at a HS your dad built for you.
His dad is Phil Anschutz?

Back