What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

**** Bailer's RB just announced that he's skipping the Cactus Bowl

This is where my support of the decision would end. Bowl games are completely meaningless. The CFP is not.
He would get attacked by everyone and rightfully so. No problem with this in lower a bowl game. I would guess at some point, someone will do this and have no question it would probably hurt this player more so than help. Once that happens a few times, then I am afraid that will become the norm. I just got depressed. Ugh.
I get your points and it would not make me happy, but I would understand the decision. Small window and opportunity to make life changing money in football. I would understand if someone decided to sit out the playoff to protect their interests.

This is where my support of the decision would end. Bowl games are completely meaningless. The CFP is not.
Are you going to watch the Rose Bowl?

Better, are you going to watch the Alamo Bowl? Or are you only going to watch it if you have nothing better to do?

"If I have nothing better to do" was the standard you articulated for watching the Broncos (a team of which you are a fan) once they are eliminated from the playoffs.

I am wondering if you will apply that same standard to the Buffs.

If you are planning on watching the game, why? What makes the Buffs playing in a completely meaningless game (your words) something worth watching?

This confirms my suspicions about this kid. I'm surprised he played in Stankford's last game of the season against Rice. Actually, once he knew his team would not play in the CCG and his Heisman hopes were dashed why play in any more games at all?

I'm sure glad that Tedric, Chido and other Buffs with bright futures aren't cut from the same cloth.

The biggest issue I have is that he is on scholarship - basically contracted to play football in return for an education, room, and board. If he "decides" not to play, I think the university has the right to ask for the money back. Getting injured is a different story.

Second, HOW MANY potential draft picks get to quit on their team for bowl season before it becomes Major League III and no one will ever watch bowl games again. What if all of the Buffs seniors on D quit to avoid being injured? That's over half the defense.
- How about all of the Heisman finalists? How fun would bowl season be if they all decided not to play? This is a slippery slope and going to **** up college football in an insidious manner.

Folks acting in their best interest and trying to make their situation better without inflicting harm on anyone. Hard to be upset by that. It doesn't make sense to be mad or upset by it - college football is bigger than a handful of players. For example, I'd have no issue if Chido forgoes the Alamo Bowl because he thinks it could hurt his draft stock. It'd be great to see him play, and it'd help CU obviously, but guys like Fisher would step in and fill the gap.

The biggest issue I have is that he is on scholarship - basically contracted to play football in return for an education, room, and board. If he "decides" not to play, I think the university has the right to ask for the money back. Getting injured is a different story.

Pretty sure football revenue >>>>>> scholarship expense. Hard to make the argument that CU would be financially harmed by these situations, especially since they will still be getting bowl game revenue regardless. You also can't retroactively "ask for money back" in most situations. You could release them from their scholarship, but having them pay something back is a little over the top.

Folks acting in their best interest and trying to make their situation better without inflicting harm on anyone.
Except the bowl game/ncaa/conference who will now how have lower TV ratings and revenue.

Except their coaches, who have to change their schemes to account for lesser talent.

Except their fans who wanted to watch the best player don the cardinal and white one more time.

And, most importantly, except their teammates who will never play another game and hoped to go out on a win (they still might, but losing your best player hurts their chances).

But sure, no one is harmed by the decision.

Second, HOW MANY potential draft picks get to quit on their team for bowl season before it becomes Major League III and no one will ever watch bowl games again. What if all of the Buffs seniors on D quit to avoid being injured? That's over half the defense.
- How about all of the Heisman finalists? How fun would bowl season be if they all decided not to play? This is a slippery slope and going to **** up college football in an insidious manner.
Ask for their money back?? You're assuming Stanford is upset at the decision, I don't think that is necessarily the case at all.

Ask for their money back?? You're assuming Stanford is upset at the decision, I don't think that is necessarily the case at all.

If the CARDboard is any indication, the overriding sentiment from posters is disappointment.

I've heard that many bowl games actually represent an expense or loss for the teams attending,

If a kid plays out the season, why should he make a ton of money for the (XYZ) bowl so they can pay a committee of high dollar salaries?

I support this trend as long as they play out the season.

I've heard that many bowl games actually represent an expense or loss for the teams attending,

If a kid plays out the season, why should he make a ton of money for the (XYZ) bowl so they can pay a committee of high dollar salaries?

I support this trend as long as they play out the season.

Outside of a few marquee programs, college football in general are money losers, if not for subsidies from student fees and university general funding, many programs would not be viable.

Many "non-rev" sports like track or women's volleyball don't turn profits.

Certainly most football programs outside the P5 struggle to turn a profit.

Using your logic about the sometimes upside down economics of Bowl Games and applying it more broadly, it begs the question, "why should college football players bother to play at all?" Why even have college athletics?

The thing about college football is that it's not purely a business calculation. It is also a cultural treasure and perhaps even a religion.

People do things that are culturally important and religiously meaningful as a matter of the heart.

When you have the opportunity to start on a P5 team in a bowl game, it is an honor.

There are plenty of other venues in our society which balance sheets and cash flow statements are celebrated. Football is an escape for all that for many of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of a few marquee programs, college football in general are money losers, if not for subsidies from student fees and university general funding, many programs would not be viable.

Many "non-rev" sports like track or women's volleyball don't turn profits.

Certainly most football programs outside the P5 struggle to turn a profit.

Using your logic about the sometimes upside down economics of Bowl Games and applying it more broadly, it begs the question, "why should college football players bother to play at all?" Why even have college athletics?

The thing about college football is that it's not purely a business calculation. It is also a cultural treasure and perhaps even a religion.

People do things that are culturally important and religiously meaningful as a matter of the heart.

When you have the opportunity to start on a P5 team in a bowl game, it is an honor.

There are plenty of other venues in our society which balance sheets and cash flow statements are celebrated. Football is an escape for all that for many of us.
Yep, I hope his boys fall off from a prolonged case of jock itch.

Football is an escape for many of us, but it is a living for many who play it.

For those who earn a living from football, never lose your perspective about the importance of fans, sponsors, and organizers who make those paychecks and scholarships possible.

No. Adults getting payed millions to play a game for childeren isn't my thing. NFL is mostly dead to me.

Someone told me the other day that the hapless Dolphins of my youth look like they are going to make the playoffs. I havent seen them once this year. I think Ive watched half a Broncos game too. Snoozer....

I didnt begrudge anyone skipping the college game when the possiblity to make millions are on the line. I would. Skipping life in the cube farm is worth it.

If the CARDboard is any indication, the overriding sentiment from posters is disappointment.
I said Stanford, you know the ones who would allegedly be asking him to repay his scholarship money in Aviators scenario. I'm not talking about fans - of course Stanford fans would want him to play.

I think its a chickensh!t move. He's part of a team. This sets a very bad precedent. College football is being killed a little bit at a time. This is just one of a thousand paper cuts to the game.

It's a ****ty thing to do, regardless of the reasons behind it.

No matter of rationalization makes this any less of a ****ty move on his part.

You keep trying to rationalize it. I'll keep pointing out that's a ****ty thing to do.

giphy.gif

Back