What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Summers is the Answer

to which coach should get fired before the season is over. It takes real "chops" to turn a mediocre defense with some talent into a defense that is reminiscent of Embree-vs-Fresno St -level-of-incompetence.

Coach Tucker said-- we thought in jest-- that he didn't want to make Luckett worse after switching to DB. Apparently, HCMT wasn't joking. Almost to a man, the defense was worse than last year.

The argument that this is a new coaching staff with a new scheme does not obviate Summer's responsibility to adequately diagnose, evaluate, prepare, and strategize with the current roster.

The fact that the LB coach said this week that the LB's needed at least a few more weeks to understand the defense was not understatement or coach speak. He must have anticipated the impending disaster.

For the moment, let's put aside the missed assignments and wrong alignments (such as one DB covering two WR's). I can understand that happening once in a first game. I cannot understand that happening almost every series until the fourth quarter.

It's obviously a poor scheme and personnel decisions to have ILBs like Van Diest and Landman attempting to cover RB's in space.

It's equally bad to play a soft zone coverage (with DB's 12 yards from the line of scrimmage) on third and five--especially when the opponents have been playing pitch and catch for an entire half.

At what point does a veteran DC say (after not forcing a single punt for 3 quarters) that we are going to abandon some complicated 77 cut scheme, and just play man against a less athletic and less talented team?

From what I saw, the defense didn't improve until well into the fourth quarter when CSU became one-dimensional from score pressure.

How in the world is CU going to be able to stop a skilled team with multiple threats beyond a single WR and RB and one-dimensional QB?

I fear Barnett is right that the failure in scheme and coaching cannot be fixed in a week or two. And if that's the case, this is looking like a 3 win season despite NFL talent at a number of spots.

Moreover, I think trading Drake for Brumbaugh was a significant and inexplicable downgrade in both coaching and recruiting. I hope Tucker doesn't wait two years to make coaching changes. I think there is enough evidence now to say Summers isn't the answer (or is the answer to which coach needs to be fired)

It would have been a better. saner, decision to take last year's defense and build on it, rather than start from scratch--with the same personnel. I don't see Summers recovering to make this even a mediocre defense. I hope I'm wrong.

After an objective argument has been made, let the personal attacks begin:
Probably a fusker

OP makes decent points and I think most here would agree with the first game assessment. But that’s just it, first game assessment. Calm down.

The OP does make good posts-yeah, first game......but there's a lot to be concerned with going into this week against the Nubs and next week against AFA.

The only thing that I saw on defense that was not perceived normal and concerning over last year was Landman missing tackles (even though he finished with 11(?) tackles) and not blowing plays up, no plays on the edges, and Mustafa not getting in there and blowing stuff up.

The defense was too far in their own heads trying to fit what calls needed to happen and playing with minimal instinct to the ball, just slow to react and by that time they’re steps behind to make a play.

Is there a way for this defense to utilize Taylor in a OLB role, then move him to coverage in a buckle/dime package? I think the speed, quickness, and nose for the ball could help tie up the edge sometimes.

It seemed like the DL responded to Brown last year, so it surprised me that he wasn’t retained. He seemed to have a similar factor that Chev has with the receiver corp.

More pieces need to be reshaped to fit into the overall puzzle, most of it seems to do with calls/assignments/targets more so than players. Two less fluffy OOC games to play before ASU and an early bye to get these wrinkles smoothed out.

The only thing that I saw on defense that was not perceived normal and concerning over last year was Landman missing tackles (even though he finished with 11(?) tackles) and not blowing plays up, no plays on the edges, and Mustafa not getting in there and blowing stuff up.

The defense was too far in their own heads trying to fit what calls needed to happen and playing with minimal instinct to the ball, just slow to react and by that time they’re steps behind to make a play.

Is there a way for this defense to utilize Taylor in a OLB role, then move him to coverage in a buckle/dime package? I think the speed, quickness, and nose for the ball could help tie up the edge sometimes.

It seemed like the DL responded to Brown last year, so it surprised me that he wasn’t retained. He seemed to have a similar factor that Chev has with the receiver corp.

More pieces need to be reshaped to fit into the overall puzzle, most of it seems to do with calls/assignments/targets more so than players. Two less fluffy OOC games to play before ASU and an early bye to get these wrinkles smoothed out.

I'm pretty sure Brown chose to go to Kansas rather than remain at CU.

This D is a thinking player’s D. There are a ton on pre-snap reads, calls (and co-signs), and even in-play adjustments, some of those happen for the whole D, some for just for certain units and some just between individual players. There is a lot to process.

Taylor is too small to play OLB.

When you are moving more offense players to the defense during fall camp, you should have expected problems with the defense in game one and perhaps this season.

Brown's at Louisville IIRC-you mean Kwahn Drake? Gotta think they'll simplify things a bit for the nubs and AFA

Yes, I meant Drake. Why did you mention Brown in connection with DL? I don't have much bad to say about safety play vs. CSU.

giphy.gif

There is reason to be concerned about the defense. They gave up 31 points to an at best middle of the road MWC team and it could have been worse had they hit a couple of deep balls they missed and not turned the ball over when they did.

We still lack real P5 talent and depth on defense at a number of positions. Our DL got very little penetration and when Sami wasn't in got moved backwards to much by an OL that isn't as good as most we will face.

Some issues though are or should be fixable. We had some badly blown coverages. The first TD had Abrams alone on two receivers, he tried to call for help and nobody adjusted. We either should have had someone fill immediately or called a time out but it ended in an easy TD for the sheep.

We joke about Bobo but despite the talent limitations he is a quality competent coach who had an experienced QB and a team that has run his offense since they have been there. He knew that MT wanted to be aggressive and took advantage of it using a lot of misdirection to take advantage of guys attacking the plays. He was also able to take our LBs out of a lot of plays by rubbing them or running them into traffic.

Also worth noting that Bobo had the sheep jacked up for this game. They came ready to play their very best game.

The nubs have much better talent but I don't think they will be able to do a lot of the things CSU did this game. We had better have our acts together against AFA though because they live taking advantage of getting somebody out of position or missing an assignment.

The comparison by the way to Embree was simply ridiculous. Friday night we didn't have to call a single time-out due to confusion, we had the guys we wanted on the field on time virtually every play. We had a notable absence of the kind of penalties that show lack of discipline or organization.

It may be that a couple of coaches need to be replaced either due to their units not performing or due to recruiting but this is way too early to even think about that.

Defense is going to be a work in progress and could really get exposed this coming weekend. Constant missed pre-reads that the defense seemed completely confused about. They made adjustments and seemed to do a little better, but you could tell they were mostly lost until the last quarter or so. I don't know if this is the issue with the edge of the defense or not. Some players mentioned that they were not prepared for the CSU offense that was displayed.

Kuddos to Bobo though. That was an effective offense and they do have some play-makers, so we are probably not giving them much credit. You could tell Bobo was giving just about everything he had to win that game. That freshman receiver they have is going to be really good and that is a winning team from CSU that I saw. No reason they shouldn't go to a bowl this year. Major props to them.

We knew there were going to be a lot of issues on defense, especially with depth. However, I am mostly concerned with the linebackers. They looked out of sorts and looked to be running in quicksand. I don't know if that means they were completely confused, or what, but that was the one area I was not too worried about going into the season.

Not much has changed with my out view of the season. I knew this offense was going to probably have to carry the team and that mostly hasn't changed. If the defense can keep creating turnovers though, that is a recipe for at least 6 wins.

Decent adjustments in the second half. Usually get the biggest improvement between game 1 and game 2. Am anxious to see how they do this weekend. Not panicking but am nervous. Think we will see a better d throughout game 2

Defense looked slow, especially LB's and the DL rarely got any push. We'll see what happens this week but I doubt most here wanted summers making the defensive calls for this team.

I was thinking about it and Tucker doesn’t come across as a guy who makes impulse decisions. Everyone here has a multi-year contract and it honestly wouldn’t be fair to judge Summers on the defense this year. Not with everything that has happened since Tucker arrived. As long as his units are prepared, learning, growing and getting better every game he’s not going anywhere.

What concerns me about the defense is the talent deficit, which the new staff does not really seem to be correcting.

Jury is out on that, they had it rough for the 1st class. If this class closes and the same concerns are still there no matter how good of a coach Tucker is we will still be stuck in the same place.

Not sure if it was mentioned here, but the defense looked physically worn down from the first snap. From all indications they were hitting hard and going hard all camp long. We have very little depth and did not seem to use much of the depth we had on subs? These boys gotta get used to these types of camps under Tucker, so hopefully they just need recovery and game week routines to get back to looking fast.

Not sure if it was mentioned here, but the defense looked physically worn down from the first snap. From all indications they were hitting hard and going hard all camp long. We have very little depth and did not seem to use much of the depth we had on subs? These boys gotta get used to these types of camps under Tucker, so hopefully they just need recovery and game week routines to get back to looking fast.
If we have little depth it does not seem odd that they weren't used. Only surprise was no freshmen DB's. Not even in garbage time

Defense is going to be a work in progress and could really get exposed this coming weekend. Constant missed pre-reads that the defense seemed completely confused about. They made adjustments and seemed to do a little better, but you could tell they were mostly lost until the last quarter or so. I don't know if this is the issue with the edge of the defense or not. Some players mentioned that they were not prepared for the CSU offense that was displayed.

Kuddos to Bobo though. That was an effective offense and they do have some play-makers, so we are probably not giving them much credit. You could tell Bobo was giving just about everything he had to win that game. That freshman receiver they have is going to be really good and that is a winning team from CSU that I saw. No reason they shouldn't go to a bowl this year. Major props to them.

We knew there were going to be a lot of issues on defense, especially with depth. However, I am mostly concerned with the linebackers. They looked out of sorts and looked to be running in quicksand. I don't know if that means they were completely confused, or what, but that was the one area I was not too worried about going into the season.

Not much has changed with my out view of the season. I knew this offense was going to probably have to carry the team and that mostly hasn't changed. If the defense can keep creating turnovers though, that is a recipe for at least 6 wins.

Yeah I agree with the LB's take. Landman is a tackling machine and all around stud, but he didn't look like himself. Attack mode was off and it seemed like he had a lot of guessing going on. That's the matchup that scares me this weekend is Nebraska getting their small WR/RB type players matched up against our backers. That group needs to bring it.

Back