What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel in full spin...

Loosen The Purse String Mich.

From what I hear the key issue has been U of M wont pay top dollar for the coaches they want. They are playing the reputation etc. card. Lloyd Carr was a very nice guy and good coach but a lap dog. Hard to find one willing to coach on the cheap.

To all my CO brothern, what is the rumor mill churning out regarding the sheep lovers coaching search. I just looked on their boards and was amused by the game of guess whose boobs but no news on coaching let alone football. I jumped off when they conversation turned to what breed of sheep has the more silky smooth feeling, if you know what i mean.

Anyway, any names being kicked around? Are Irv and Joe still slobbering over Logan

Re: Loosen The Purse String Mich.

Zilla- the media has speculated on a lot of former rams and the current Southern Illinois coach, as that's where their current AD is from. Fairchild, Schneider and Benton are former assistants now in the pros. Brookhart, the hc at Akron, and Alford, the rb coach at Louisville are the former Rams still in the college ranks that I've seen mentioned.

The other name that's gotten a little play is former Buffs assistant Bob Hauck, the hc at Montana. That'd be interesting as his current staff is loaded with former Buffs- Gregorak, Ochs and Cormier.

That's a nice hire, IMO.

As long as he doesn't think that he will be successful at GT with that offense. No way he can recruit top players running that. Minor schools and service academies? Mid-level talent can win with that offense. Not against the teams he will compete with every weekend now. IMO (since that is how you finish most posts now:smile2:)

BTW everyone, most everything we post here is our opinions. Very little facts ever make it to message boards.:thumbsup:

As long as he doesn't think that he will be successful at GT with that offense. No way he can recruit top players running that. Minor schools and service academies? Mid-level talent can win with that offense. Not against the teams he will compete with every weekend now. IMO (since that is how you finish most posts now:smile2:)

BTW everyone, most everything we post here is our opinions. Very little facts ever make it to message boards.:thumbsup:

he didn't run it at Ga Southern. at GaSou and Navy he's adapted his style of play to fit his personnel, i'd expect him to do the same at GT and run a WVU/UF style of offense.

he made like $100k more last year at boise than what ucla paid dorrell too. ucla is notorious for underpaying head coaches and assistants, and they're in a real estate market where you have to make some good money or live 2 hours from campus.

from the la times today:

"Karl Dorrell's salary, about $850,000 a year, was considered a bargain in an era of $1-million hires. The low-ball salaries UCLA tends to pay assistant coaches deter the best talent from moving their families to costly Los Angeles."

Wulff from EWU now at Wazzu. As others have observed, that makes another team with a new coach for the Buffs to face next year. I guess Mike Price was too expensive. Gentlemen's clubs from Ellensburg to Moscow mourn.

from the la times today:

"Karl Dorrell's salary, about $850,000 a year, was considered a bargain in an era of $1-million hires. The low-ball salaries UCLA tends to pay assistant coaches deter the best talent from moving their families to costly Los Angeles."

This is the part that makes me scratch my head. Didn't we lose Embree and Bienemy to UCLA because they paid more? :confused:

This is the part that makes me scratch my head. Didn't we lose Embree and Bienemy to UCLA because they paid more? :confused:

We lost Bienemy because of the med school benefits for little Eric that are against our state's constitution, in addition to the 1 year contract requirement. I'm sure the jump to the pros more than offset the cost.:thumbsup:

We lost Bienemy because of the med school benefits for little Eric that are against our state's constitution, in addition to the 1 year contract requirement. I'm sure the jump to the pros more than offset the cost.:thumbsup:

Yeah, OK, I seem to remember that now as well.

I wonder if EB is too good of a RB coach for his own good. Kind of like how Alex Gibbs was the worlds greatest OL coach, but never got a shot at being a coordinator or HC. I hope EB gets his chance to move up if that's his wish.

Yeah, OK, I seem to remember that now as well.

I wonder if EB is too good of a RB coach for his own good. Kind of like how Alex Gibbs was the worlds greatest OL coach, but never got a shot at being a coordinator or HC. I hope EB gets his chance to move up if that's his wish.

I think he would be an outstanding coordinator, from what I've heard from players, they would beat concrete walls down with their fists if he asked them to. I would love to see him back at CU but don't think it will happen.

also, CU assistant coach salaries have improved fairly dramatically since Barnett was HC. I remember reading that CU's assistant coach salary was the second lowest in the conference next to KU during that time.

also, CU assistant coach salaries have improved fairly dramatically since Barnett was HC. I remember reading that CU's assistant coach salary was the second lowest in the conference next to KU during that time.

you can thank Hawk for that. he took lower pay to increase the other salaries.

Looks like Kevin Sumlin ( OU co OC) will get the Houston High job. Wasn't he the guy who GB hired to coach the WR's and then left before he could take off his coat because the Sooners offered him the TE coach job?

OSU OC appears to be the frontrunner for the So. Miss. job. He's up against Kevin Wilson (OU Co OC).

Either way the B 12 S has some coordinators heading for their first big gig.

Arky folk are going off, saying Muschamp to Arky is in the works. We'll see.

Will CSU ever hire a coach?

Last edited:
Yeah, but he'll be one of the top 5-7 paid coaches in college and won't get another NFL look.

As bad as the Dolphins are, the Falcons franchise is just as bad.

Yes, but Arkansas is not necessarily a destination job. He will not be there longer than five years IMO. He will jump ship.

Looks like Kevin Sumlin ( OU co OC) will get the Houston High job. Wasn't he the guy who GB hired to coach the WR's and then left before he could take off his coat because the Sooners offered him the TE coach job?

OSU OC appears to be the frontrunner for the So. Miss. job. He's up against Kevin Wilson (OU Co OC).

Either way the B 12 S has some coordinators heading for their first big gig.

Arky folk are going off, saying Muschamp to Arky is in the works. We'll see.

Will CSU ever hire a coach?

fwiw, according to footballrumormill Gus Malzahn interviewed with UH yesterday, the day after their second interview with Sumlin.

They also report that CSU may have a hire by the end of the week, with frontrunners believed to be Steve Fairchild and Jerry Kill.

They also report that CSU may have a hire by the end of the week, with frontrunners believed to be Steve Fairchild and Jerry Kill.

Who and who?

I kind of hope they hire Jerry Kill just because that's a cool last name. Let's kill Kill!!!!

Who and who?

I kind of hope they hire Jerry Kill just because that's a cool last name. Let's kill Kill!!!!

Fairchild is the Buffalo Bill OC and former CSU qb and asst coach. Kill is the HC at Southern Illinois, where he was hired by CSU's AD.

Back