What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel in full spin...

Sure seems a close contest between Arky and Michigan to me...

Michigan have only had Miles publicly spurn them whereas now 3 people were rumored to have accepted the job at Arky only for it to turn out false.

Michigan have only had Miles publicly spurn them whereas now 3 people were rumored to have accepted the job at Arky only for it to turn out false.

I don't think we'll hear much from Michigan, other than maybe a few interviews, until Jan. 8.

So now Arky has botched the Grobe hire. Unbelievable. Who's next Leavitt maybe? They are pretty much out of alternatives for guys with HC experience unless they start looking at the one hit wonder crowd (Mangino, Pinkel, Leavitt). I'm not sure any of those guys leave for Arky. Well, maybe Leavitt.

If Arky goes coordinator, then this firing Nutt deal was a collossal screw up.

Have you guys seen the reports that Jack Pardee may possibly return to Houston? I was a big Oiler fan back when he was coaching in the NFL in the eightees, and he looked really old back then. He must be in his 100's by now:wow:

Anybody care to dissect the differences between the run and shoot and the spread? And does anybody still run that offense?

Grobe's son told me last night that his dad hadn't 100% accepted the offer at Arkansas and was meeting with Wake's AD in his home to hear their AD's last ditch effort. Looks like it worked, just got a text from his son that his dad is likely staying at Wake.

Look at you, you little name dropper...:smile2:

Keep the good scoops going!

Have you guys seen the reports that Jack Pardee may possibly return to Houston? I was a big Oiler fan back when he was coaching in the NFL in the eightees, and he looked really old back then. He must be in his 100's by now:wow:

Anybody care to dissect the differences between the run and shoot and the spread? And does anybody still run that offense?

I think the run and shoot is the forerunner of the spread. I can't break it down for you nuts and bolts, but the concepts are essentially the same. The real innovation IMO was when Urban Meyer mixed in an option look to the spread. Oregon, WVa and Fla run that spread option very well.

I do remember Pardee at UH back around '90 or so. They beat SMU 95-11. When the SMU guy complained, Pardee said, "Don't show up at my field with a football in your hands and complain when we beat the snot out of you". Or words to that effect. Serioulsy, he has to be in his mid 70's by now.

I think the run and shoot is the forerunner of the spread. I can't break it down for you nuts and bolts, but the concepts are essentially the same. The real innovation IMO was when Urban Meyer mixed in an option look to the spread. Oregon, WVa and Fla run that spread option very well.

I do remember Pardee at UH back around '90 or so. They beat SMU 95-11. When the SMU guy complained, Pardee said, "Don't show up at my field with a football in your hands and complain when we beat the snot out of you". Or words to that effect. Serioulsy, he has to be in his mid 70's by now.

the air raid (ran by leach and mumme) is a close adaption to the run and shoot, also june jones offense is very close to the original run and shoot, I believe Mouse Davis (who popularized the Run and Shoot) ran it before Pardee and Pardee's R&S was an adaptation of the R&S that mouse coached and taught to june jones.

today's spread utilizes more balance in the pass/run ratio, the true run and shoot has like a 90/10 or greater pass/run ratio. alot of quick 3 step drop timing routes, very few downfield throws, but get the ball into the hands of your receivers and let them make a play. the running backs in the r&s are a lot of times wide receivers that were converted and can get out of the backfield and catch the ball and their quick passes limit the need for rb's to stay in and help pick up the pass rush.

Last edited:

I think you are remembering Jenkins. He was Pardee's OC at Houston and became HC when Pardee went to the Houston Gamblers in the USFL. Pardee was much more the gentleman than Jenkins, who was a brash prick.

I think you are remembering Jenkins. He was Pardee's OC at Houston and became HC when Pardee went to the Houston Gamblers in the USFL. Pardee was much more the gentleman than Jenkins, who was a brash prick.

Aha, you are correct. It was Jenkins. That guy always struck me as kind of a weasel.

Aha, you are correct. It was Jenkins. That guy always struck me as kind of a weasel.

Jenkins would throw TD bombs against a Sam Houston State with 45 seconds left with a 7 touchdown lead. Plus, I think Houston was put on probation due to violations during his tenure.

Last edited:

Good point - just seems strange that they are hanging out there without a ton of activity. of course, they probably feel they can get whoever they want - just wonder if it will come back to bite them.

Michigan 2
Arkansas 3

Do you think the difficulty is the same as NU and ND had, specifically, running guys out whohad reasonable success coupled with sky high expectations?

Maybe Hawk was on to something. Not that I don't want a NC at CU, and I think Hawk does too, but I also think Hawk won't get fired if he goes 7-5, 8-4, 7-5 for a three year stretch.

I have relatives who are Arky fans and they were screaming for Nutt's head at the end of last year AND THE GUY HAD WON 10 GAMES THAT YEAR. I'd be a little skittish too if I were a coach.

Do you think the difficulty is the same as NU and ND had, specifically, running guys out whohad reasonable success coupled with sky high expectations?

Maybe Hawk was on to something. Not that I don't want a NC at CU, and I think Hawk does too, but I also think Hawk won't get fired if he goes 7-5, 8-4, 7-5 for a three year stretch.

I have relatives who are Arky fans and they were screaming for Nutt's head at the end of last year AND THE GUY HAD WON 10 GAMES THAT YEAR. I'd be a little skittish too if I were a coach.

Possible, but Schiano might just be biding his time and waiting for Paterno to retire.

Well that didn't take long. Schiano staying at Rutgers: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3145205

Bottom of the page...

mfan20619 (10 hours ago)
I think this is starting to look like Michigan is not the school it thought it was. In this day and age, when the Rutgers coach is making $1.7 million per season, money can be had anywhere. So you have to want to come based on reputation. And unfortunately, I think michigan is looked at as a good "fixer-upper"

:lol:

Seriously though? Arkansas? When the hell was the last time they won the SEC, let alone sniffed a NC? I can understand that attitude at uMich, but seriously, those fans are as delusional as aTmers.

Seriously though? Arkansas? When the hell was the last time they won the SEC, let alone sniffed a NC? I can understand that attitude at uMich, but seriously, those fans are as delusional as aTmers.

I don't think they've ever won the SEC championship

Back