What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

aggie.gif

aggies-aggs.gif

Among all jobs in which food/housing security are achieved, being a highly-paid, fired college football coach actually sounds like the worst job in America. Seriously.
Making multiple millions would certainly make it easier but I can see your point from the standpoint of the kind of guys who usually rise to those positions.

Going from their typical 14-16 hour per day obsession with the job to instantly having nothing to do, no schedule, no responsibilities is a recipe for serious stress. Add to that the ego hit.

That of course assumes the guy is still in obsession mode. I have a hunch that there is one recently fired college football coach in or close to Boulder County who was fully and happily prepared to be without a coaching job.

Making multiple millions would certainly make it easier but I can see your point from the standpoint of the kind of guys who usually rise to those positions.

Going from their typical 14-16 hour per day obsession with the job to instantly having nothing to do, no schedule, no responsibilities is a recipe for serious stress. Add to that the ego hit.

That of course assumes the guy is still in obsession mode. I have a hunch that there is one recently fired college football coach in or close to Boulder County who was fully and happily prepared to be without a coaching job.
Getting paid millions to not do anything would be an emotional nightmare. After being celebrated by a community, the fall from grace and being discarded. Life is about fulfillment, to my way of thinking. I can't imagine anything less fulfilling.

And keep in mind, I'm responding to the tweet that stated being a fired coach would be a great job. I disagree.

Getting paid millions to not do anything would be an emotional nightmare. After being celebrated by a community, the fall from grace and being discarded. Life is about fulfillment, to my way of thinking. I can't imagine anything less fulfilling.

And keep in mind, I'm responding to the tweet that stated being a fired coach would be a great job. I disagree.
Agree with you with the possible exceptions of some guys who have already mentally/emotionally checked out.

Your comment about fulfillment makes sense. I would also argue that you don't get to the level of being a college head coach if you aren't one of those people obsessed with working, a person who has a hard time dealing with the concept of "free time."

I have a brother who is older than I am who talks about retiring (he's a nuke engineer.) I can imagine him driving his wife absolutely nuts along with the rest of the family. He doesn't know how to not be working on something.

I presume that fifth conference champion spot would be the highest rated G5?
There's never been a guarantee for any specific power conferences. Under the 6+6 model, it's the highest six rated conference champs; it's not the P5 champs and one more. It'd be same under 5+7.

This seems to be a point that many CFB fans have mixed up.

Yep. College football is gross. I took last season off completely (after 35 years of obsessive viewing) - didn't watch a single game and it was kind of nice. I came back this year for Prime, but my college football viewing outside of CU is probably down 80%.
I gave up a little further back and only sipped the Prime koolaid. I watch UW because of daughters attendance. Other then that I tune in only here and there. Its nice having Saturdays free again.

College Football Sport GIF by ESPN

Agreed. If coaches thought like some people are saying, most wouldn't leave a place they loved, had made them one of the wealthiest people in their state, admired them as a pillar of the community, and would provide greater autonomy and job security than where they leave for.

They leave because they want to be recognized as being at the top of their profession and chase the brass ring by being in a situation where they have the best opportunity to win a championship. That's their path to fulfillment they think. The additional money is mostly validation of their market value since it doesn't actually improve their lifestyle by allowing them to afford things or provide for their families with things they wanted but couldn't previously afford.

Back