What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Home Jerseys in 2011

After the rebranding of CU's logo I don't think there is anything to worry about. an Alt jersey once a year is fun. I think they should bring back the old leather helmets for a game.

I dont understand the whole "just for one game a year" thing for uniforms. Find a uniform and stick with it so people know who you are. If you keep switching it up every game to honor some special occasion no one knows your brand or what you are supposed to look like. At this point I know the real 90s style unis are gone for ever so I am giving up, I just want to see us find an identity and stick with it.

I just hope that our helmets actually match our pants this year. No need for two different shades of gold.

1031468082_8ZsUu-L.jpg

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

I hate these new uniform styles. I think that they look like something out of a bad football movie. I'm a big fan of the classic uniforms - Penn State, Alabama, etc.

But...

I keep hearing from people under 30 that they mostly hate those classic uniforms. They like the new style unis, even thinking it looks good when Oregon players wear those neon yellow cleats.

When I look at the recruiting results, it seems that the new unis appeal to this generation and that they make an impact. ASU is killing it this year on the recruiting trail.

Assuming that new unis would have a "cool factor" with recruits and young fans that would result in better recruiting and increased apparel sales (plus the new style unis get media publicity on SportsCenter when they come out), maybe I'm wrong to be holding onto tradition. Especially since CU's uniforms have changed a lot over the years and we don't really have a classic look to begin with, just certain designs from over the years that our fans prefer. Maybe I need to embrace change for the good of the program.

If they are going away from the traditional uni's I think we will see big changes a la ASU (minus the new logo)

I hate these new uniform styles. I think that they look like something out of a bad football movie. I'm a big fan of the classic uniforms - Penn State, Alabama, etc.

But...

I keep hearing from people under 30 that they mostly hate those classic uniforms. They like the new style unis, even thinking it looks good when Oregon players wear those neon yellow cleats.

When I look at the recruiting results, it seems that the new unis appeal to this generation and that they make an impact. ASU is killing it this year on the recruiting trail.

Assuming that new unis would have a "cool factor" with recruits and young fans that would result in better recruiting and increased apparel sales (plus the new style unis get media publicity on SportsCenter when they come out), maybe I'm wrong to be holding onto tradition. Especially since CU's uniforms have changed a lot over the years and we don't really have a classic look to begin with, just certain designs from over the years that our fans prefer. Maybe I need to embrace change for the good of the program.

all this new generation stuff was supposed to happen last time in 07 when we went the tampon shoulder, geometry experiment threads. i'll repeat what i said then: "this is the BEST they could do? Nike, the premier sports design co. on the planet?".

my step dad (in Norman) says the rumor is that OSU is the team next on the super duper Nike freakout makeover.

all this new generation stuff was supposed to happen last time in 07 when we went the tampon shoulder, geometry experiment threads. i'll repeat what i said then: "this is the BEST they could do? Nike, the premier sports design co. on the planet?".

my step dad (in Norman) says the rumor is that OSU is the team next on the super duper Nike freakout makeover.

Our 2008 recruiting class came in ranked #15 on Rivals. There was more to it than the uniforms, but there does seem to be a correlation.

Our 2008 recruiting class came in ranked #15 on Rivals. There was more to it than the uniforms, but there does seem to be a correlation.

that's a stretch, imo. when were the unis made public? when was most of the recruiting done? even still, i don't feel automatic "go go go" to turn the aesthetic over to Nike's "creatives" after the abominations they gave us last time. even ASU's, while goofy, at least don't look like the JV design team was working their look. ours did.

I will be ok as long as 1) the helmet logo is not touched. There is an unmistakable tradition associated with them. ASU changed theirs cuz sparky was creepy and didn't inspire an aggressiveness like that new trident does. 2) The Colorado and the numbers stay bold and white. I hated that silver number experiment they pulled on the last one.

Other than those two I think Nike could have some creative freedom. I would really like to have multiple ideas created and have it approved by either the football staff, the athletic department, or a vote among students. Just taking whatever Nike throws our way probably will not end well.

I will be ok as long as 1) the helmet logo is not touched.

+1. This is probably not possible, but I would prefer we move away from Nike now that we are in the same conference as Oregon. Oregon will always get the most from Nike and others will be second class citizens.

I think they only screwed with the logo at ASU because ASU wanted a change. Same with Oregon. They both had disney cartoons on their helmets before Nike stepped in. I know that they messed with Boise St, with the Pro Combat Uni, but they dont really have a tradition to stand on like ours. They changed Florida with the pro combat as well but they only wear that once a year. They didnt mess with Texas or Bama or OU with the new uni's so my guess is that if the school wants a change that Nike will oblige, but I dont think that its a mandatory thing for them to redesign the helmets as well.

But...

See Alabama, Penn State, Texas, OU, USC can stick with the classic look because they have been powerhouses and have that tradition. But even for a program like CU, you can't stick with a traditional look when the majority of the players today weren't old enough to see any of our stronger teams. You have to keep the look fresh and updated, unless you have that historic tradition that say Bama or OU has.

I personally like our throwback uniforms but none of these kids were born when we wore them so the tradition doesn't really matter to them, it's what your doing now not what you accomplished 20 years ago. When a team gets new uniforms, people take notice and they want to play with them in NCAA video games. I've heard a ton of people who can't wait to play as ASU in their new jerseys, that creates a lot of interest.

From what I've gathered I think the school has the final say in the uniform. The LA Times had an article a few weeks ago stating that USC will stay with uniforms. Kiffen said that Nike approaches them every year regarding a redesign but they want to stick to the classic design. He said they want to have the latest materials but not change the colors or design.

Texas, Alabama and Penn State are also Nike schools that have not changed the design. The only problem is that these schools have more pull than we do and a lot more money in their coffers. I hoping that with the new media deal, Mike won't feel the need to cash in our tradition for some short term sales.

For those who feel strongly about the 1990's look or any other era, the best thing you can do is let Mike Bohn know where you stand now as it appears we may have some time left. If he gets a lot of feedback from boosters and alumni that feel strongly about a specific look, he would obvously be less willing to go for something totally different. I would be okay as long as they don't touch the helmet AT ALL -- other than fixing the gold color to match the pants, keep the black jerseys with gold pants and white jerseys with black pants. Have "COLORADO" displayed on the chest in white letters.

Damnit people, CU's unis are considered to be some of the sharpest in all of college football. Don't screw this up. For the love of GOD, don't screw this up.

Suppose they add silver helmets and black helmets to the mix.

For the people compalining about the gold pants not matching the helmets, don't you think it would be easier to do with the silver helmets?

Is there a rule against having silver jerseys for road games in football? Suppose we go with black helmets and black pants with silver jerseys on the road?

Suppose they add silver helmets and black helmets to the mix.

For the people compalining about the gold pants not matching the helmets, don't you think it would be easier to do with the silver helmets?

Is there a rule against having silver jerseys for road games in football? Suppose we go with black helmets and black pants with silver jerseys on the road?

I'm going to shoot you.

I'm going to shoot you.

OK :asshole:

One argument for changing the uniforms is that the current CU uniforms belong in a different era and we are entering a new era in the Pac-12. We can't be sure that Utah will be able to keep the Ute nickname due to that stupid NCAA rule and with Utah becoming a BCS school, that will only garner more media attention on the nickname issue and they do have secondary logos of a red tailed hawk which is important to the Utes.

Didn't we wear silver helmets in the late '50's as well?

Dont touch the helmets. Ever. But I was just thinking about the new era thing as well. Given the fact that Embree is going to be returning this team to a national power I say he should get his own uni's that will forever represent his teams in CU lore. I just hope they dont screw it up like the DH uni disaster.

People - Sackman is going to shoot you and I'm going to provide him ammunition. DO NOT CHANGE THE UNIFORMS from the ones we will wear in 2011.

I'm not saying we should do away with the gold helmets & gold pants completely.

I went on a short walk after my last post and introducing silver helmets with matching silver pants seems like a very good idea in my mind. Some thoughts:

The people from this state love to hate us especially the Denver Post and CSU fans. The people from this state love the Broncos and yes I am a Broncos fan. But suppose we went with silver helmets and pants which would be similar to the Raiders. Aren't we alredy the renegade school in the renegade city in the state of Colorado? Instead of hating the fact that we are the most depised school in this state, should we EMBRACE it? We will never win the hearts of this state like OU in Oklahoma, NU in Nebraska, UT in Texas, etc. We could wear that silver and black combo against CSU...that could really light a fire under the CU-CSU rivalry. One Pac-12 road game should be reserved for the silver and black combo. Utah and CU will be viewed as the newcomers to the Pac-12 and we might not be that well loved so why don't we EMBRACE that as well?

How many schools wear dark color along with gold in NCAA FBS football? We have Washington, UCLA, Idaho, Tulsa (with more than one other color), Norte Dame, Pitt, UCF, Georgia Tech, you name it! Now we have Ohio State and some midmajors such as UNLV and UNM who wear silver helmets but they don't wear silver and black.

Despite being a Broncos fan (myself included), do you really understand the COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE slogan that has been with the Raiders for many years? Doesn't that sound a lot like what Embree is doing at CU?

If the silver and black becomes our primary uniforms over time WITH THE APPROVAL of the CU fanbase, we could reserve the black and gold combo for homecoming and special games such as the Rose Bowl and Nebraska games. Would that be a good way to honor the accomplishments of past great CU teams?

Suppose the fanbase wants to go back to black and gold down the road, we could use the black and silver uniforms in that light as well.

Wouldn't this be more in line with the rebranding of the Pac-10 that is underway?

One thing for sure...I don't think we should mix gold and silver on the same uniforms ever again. :puke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Raiders

When founded in 1960, a "name the team" contest was held by the Oakland Tribune, and the winner was the Oakland Señors.[42] After a few weeks of being the butt of local jokes (and accusations that the contest was fixed, as Chet Soda was fairly well known within the Oakland business community for calling his acquaintances "señor"), the fledgling team (and its owners) changed the team's name nine days later [43] to the Oakland Raiders, which had finished third in the naming contest.[44] The original team colors were black, gold and white. The now-familiar team emblem of a pirate (or "raider") wearing a football helmet was created, reportedly a rendition of actor Randolph Scott.[45]

The original Raiders uniforms were black and gold, while the helmets were black with a white stripe and no logo. The team wore this design from 1960–1962.[46] When Al Davis became head coach and general manager in 1963, he changed the team's color scheme to silver and black, and added a logo to the helmet.[47] This logo is a shield that consists of the word "Raiders" at the top, crossed swords, and the head of a Raider wearing a football helmet. Over the years, it has undergone minor color modifications (such as changing the background from silver to black in 1964), but it has essentially remained the same.

I went on a short walk after my last post and introducing silver helmets with matching silver pants seems like a very good idea in my mind. Some thoughts:

The people from this state love to hate us especially the Denver Post and CSU fans. The people from this state love the Broncos and yes I am a Broncos fan. But suppose we went with silver helmets and pants which would be similar to the Raiders. Aren't we alredy the renegade school in the renegade city in the state of Colorado? Instead of hating the fact that we are the most depised school in this state, should we EMBRACE it? We will never win the hearts of this state like OU in Oklahoma, NU in Nebraska, UT in Texas, etc. We could wear that silver and black combo against CSU...that could really light a fire under the CU-CSU rivalry. One Pac-12 road game should be reserved for the silver and black combo. Utah and CU will be viewed as the newcomers to the Pac-12 and we might not be that well loved so why don't we EMBRACE that as well?

How many schools wear dark color along with gold in NCAA FBS football? We have Washington, UCLA, Idaho, Tulsa (with more than one other color), Norte Dame, Pitt, UCF, Georgia Tech, you name it! Now we have Ohio State and some midmajors such as UNLV and UNM who wear silver helmets but they don't wear silver and black.

Despite being a Broncos fan (myself included), do you really understand the COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE slogan that has been with the Raiders for many years? Doesn't that sound a lot like what Embree is doing at CU?

If the silver and black becomes our primary uniforms over time WITH THE APPROVAL of the CU fanbase, we could reserve the black and gold combo for homecoming and special games such as the Rose Bowl and Nebraska games. Would that be a good way to honor the accomplishments of past great CU teams?

Suppose the fanbase wants to go back to black and gold down the road, we could use the black and silver uniforms in that light as well.

Wouldn't this be more in line with the rebranding of the Pac-10 that is underway?

One thing for sure...I don't think we should mix gold and silver on the same uniforms ever again. :puke:
Oh...my...god.
Raiders comparisons?
Really NashBuff?
Do you really hate your current level of reputation so much that you would like to have it blasted into the red???
smh
Sacky & BuffNut, please let me know where I can send donations for the ammunition fund.

I'm not saying I agree with you, but Embo has always been a Raiders fan. At least he was before he went to coach with the Chiefs.

You guys need to get with the times. ND and Michigan, arguably the two most historic programs in college are at least using alternates at some point this year. Either get with it, or get left behind

Ohio St, Bama, and Texas all had those pro combat uniforms too.

I like all the combos we have now, except for maybe the all whites. The silver and black look for one game might grow on me (even if you hate the raiders, they have one of the best uniforms in sports).

You guys need to get with the times. ND and Michigan, arguably the two most historic programs in college are at least using alternates at some point this year. Either get with it, or get left behind

my understanding is that the ND-UM game will be "throwbacks".

You Nancys and Sallys really got your panties in baseball sized wads. Just relax fellas, it's just an idea and if Bohn is reading this board and :puke:, I don't have a problem with it. Ideas are simply ideas even if it pisses you all off.

The reality is that the days of uniforms staying the same are coming to an end. Schools have cracked down on trademark and copyright infringements because they want to earn royalities and the best way to do that is to refresh the sports team uniforms more often than not.

When you go to one of three places to shop for CU gear on The Hill, don't you see one of those stores still have past CU helmets that can be bought? That's one way to make money and that won't stop anytime soon. I even saw the early 1980's CU mini helmet at Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City at a sports memorbila shop there and didn't think that helmet looked that bad after all...the uniforms on those photos were still :puke:

That silver helmet with the black buffalo horns that was worn against Wyoming was an awesome helmet. I would not mind using that helmet for the black and silver combo.

Anyone who believes that the looks of uniforms wins ball games are shortsighted...there's more to building championship quality teams and if that was truly the case, we wouldn't have this Hawkins debacle of the last five years.

No need for that ammo anyway since after I finish the Pac-12 Countdown, I'm gone from this board since I made a personal decision to do away with social networks and stuff like that. It doesn't mean that I can't e-mail Mike Bohn and present my ideas to him and it's up to him to accept or reject it.

Plus I can do a NCAA Football TeamBuilder team where I create a new CU school where I would have gold helmets & pants to go with the black jerseys and there will be silver helmets & pants just like the school colors which are gold and silver. Perhaps I can make that design public as well. ;)

Back