What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Men's Basketball at Arizona Official Game thread

Xavier Johnson is the only CU player on the court tonight for more than 20 minutes who didn't have at least 4 fouls called on him (just 3).

Which is a very, very, very good sign for XJ's progression and it's no coincidence it happened in a win at Arizona.

Tad seems to struggle a bit in the last two minutes of close games. I'm sure the inexperience of the kids doesn't help.

Tad seems to struggle a bit in the last two minutes of close games. I'm sure the inexperience of the kids doesn't help.

Not sure it can be blamed solely in inexperience. Last year we gave away, and nearly gave away, numerous games in the final minutes. The seeming refusal to get good at FT's plays a role, for sure.

Things like, with 1:30 to go, letting them roll the ball to mid court without pressuring them.

So you would support getting out of your base defense in order to save 2 seconds off the clock when there's a full minute and a half left? I've got no problem with that.

My issue was that the Buffs were playing too tentatively. Backing off on defense to try to avoid fouls and then not attacking the basket.

All that said, don't miss 5/8 FTs in the final 1:45 and this one's a win regardless of the other stuff.

The team did not finish the game as they should have. That said, this should be a W on the resume.

Imagine the outrage and potential changes if this happened during March Madness.

So you would support getting out of your base defense in order to save 2 seconds off the clock when there's a full minute and a half left? I've got no problem with that.

My issue was that the Buffs were playing too tentatively. Backing off on defense to try to avoid fouls and then not attacking the basket.

All that said, don't miss 5/8 FTs in the final 1:45 and this one's a win regardless of the other stuff.
i thought we should have pressured them in the back court. But I'm no coach nor do I understand tactics that well. And yeah, we make just a couple of FT's we win.

i thought we should have pressured them in the back court. But I'm no coach nor do I understand tactics that well. And yeah, we make just a couple of FT's we win.

I think we might have pressured more if Spencer didn't have 4 fouls. Tad had to protect him.

make 75% of the free throws and the pressure would not have been an issue. This team and last years both had major issues with free throws and it is something that can be fixed. They got better as the year went on last year and I am sure they will this year but damn, hit several more and this game is ours. A fundamental we need to be better at from the get go.

spencer was so strangely non-aggressive on O last night... once he got that foul, he basically shut it down. Didn't want the ball near the end of the game or in OT when we were in our half court set.

I was feeling better when I went to sleep - but I woke up really angry.

I am still seeing a few Buff fans on twitter arguing for a reversal by the NCAA or Pac. I thought the morning edge summed up this perfectly:

The Morning Edge ‏@EdgeAM
If anybody thinks the NCAA should award CU the victory for last night's game, please stop watching sports. Your opinion is no longer valid.
Retweeted by Matt McChesney

Been watching Sportscenter this morning, not one mention of the game so far. They even had a top 10 worst officiating calls and this didn't make it. What???

Had is happened to Duke, there'd be an Outside the Lines expose on how we need to overhaul replays and refs. Hate how it's more about legacy and reputation than current talent.

For Duke, it's a full investigation.

For CU, it's a chuckle and an "oh well that sucks"

Also pissed how the take is Arizona played poorly. F u c k off! We kicked their ass. Man up national media and admit we're good.

Been watching Sportscenter this morning, not one mention of the game so far. They even had a top 10 worst officiating calls and this didn't make it. What???

I'm calling bull****. We have ESPN on in the office (the news channels lead to office arguments) and they've had the SportsCenter loop on since 7 am. Every hour they've had a thing on the game they've had Tad on live a few times (probably replayed) and they've showed repeatedly the clip of Chen shooting.

I'm calling bull****. We have ESPN on in the office (the news channels lead to office arguments) and they've had the SportsCenter loop on since 7 am. Every hour they've had a thing on the game they've had Tad on live a few times (probably replayed) and they've showed repeatedly the clip of Chen shooting.

I agree with Goose. The story on the espn website has over 5000 comments today. The nation is talking about the buffs today.

I agree with Goose. The story on the espn website has over 5000 comments today. The nation is talking about the buffs today.

Listened to SVP on ESPN radio while on the way home this afternoon... he was talking about how we got robbed.

Small consolation: I think that this "loss" will be well known by the selection committee come March. While what happened certainly doesn't help us, I don't think it will hurt either (as long as we take care of business otherwise of course).

I am still seeing a few Buff fans on twitter arguing for a reversal by the NCAA or Pac. I thought the morning edge summed up this perfectly:

The Morning Edge ‏@EdgeAM
If anybody thinks the NCAA should award CU the victory for last night's game, please stop watching sports. Your opinion is no longer valid.
Retweeted by Matt McChesney

I don't feel the NCAA should reverse the outcome, but it's not out of line to expect perfection on a video replay decision. The outcome, in which no video angle shows the ball in Chen's hand with 0.00 on the clock, should be the reason for people to stop watching sports. With that said, Matt's opinion is no longer valid.

Listened to SVP on ESPN radio while on the way home this afternoon... he was talking about how we got robbed.

Small consolation: I think that this "loss" will be well known by the selection committee come March. While what happened certainly doesn't help us, I don't think it will hurt either (as long as we take care of business otherwise of course).

Frankly, losing at Arizona wouldn't have hurt us even if they'd cruised to a 15 point win after having a cushion in a boring game all night. Road losses to Top 10 RPI teams probably improve your RPI on balance.

Win would have been marquee and pretty much punched the Buffs dance card, but last night was still a net positive. I think we're saying the same thing. If there's such a thing as a "good loss", then this qualifies.

Frankly, losing at Arizona wouldn't have hurt us even if they'd cruised to a 15 point win after having a cushion in a boring game all night. Road losses to Top 10 RPI teams probably improve your RPI on balance.

Win would have been marquee and pretty much punched the Buffs dance card, but last night was still a net positive. I think we're saying the same thing. If there's such a thing as a "good loss", then this qualifies.

I made note of our live rpi number 5 min. before the game ended: .6695
I also checked right after the game ended and was posted on their website: .6700

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

Had is happened to Duke, there'd be an Outside the Lines expose on how we need to overhaul replays and refs. Hate how it's more about legacy and reputation than current talent.

For Duke, it's a full investigation.

For CU, it's a chuckle and an "oh well that sucks"

Also pissed how the take is Arizona played poorly. F u c k off! We kicked their ass. Man up national media and admit we're good.

Good point, but the fact is Duke is always in Arizona's position. This would have happened to Clemson or Virginia AGAINST Duke.

Anyone hear PTI this afternoon? :rofl:
9:30 mark of the audio in the link.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8814208

I believe that was Around the Horn. But it reminds me a lot of when we got snubbed from the tournament two years ago. It always feels good that everyone agrees with you, but does not take away the sting of losing. But folks we have a good team that is only going to get better as the season rolls along.

Well it was both. Arizona looked the worst they have all season early in the first half and again most of the second half. Colorado on the other hand, seemed like they were playing absolutely lights out. I don't mean to take anything away from you guys, but that really looked like your absolute best game vs. our absolute worst for a while there. Colorado was hitting everything they threw up, from guys who normally don't hit shots like that. The fact that you still couldn't pull it off (setting aside the bad call for a moment) has to be a little concerning for the Buffs.

I doubt Colorado shoots that well or Arizona comes out that flat in their next meeting. But we'll see.

Well it was both. Arizona looked the worst they have all season early in the first half and again most of the second half. Colorado on the other hand, seemed like they were playing absolutely lights out. I don't mean to take anything away from you guys, but that really looked like your absolute best game vs. our absolute worst for a while there. Colorado was hitting everything they threw up, from guys who normally don't hit shots like that. The fact that you still couldn't pull it off (setting aside the bad call for a moment) has to be a little concerning for the Buffs.

I doubt Colorado shoots that well or Arizona comes out that flat in their next meeting. But we'll see.

Concerned? Not at all. Three years ago, this team was a Big 12 bottom-feeder and we just went into hostile territory against the #3 team in the nation and would have won, were it not for a bad call. You may not have another team play that tough in Tucson all year. And the difference in home court advantage, especially with the altitude, will be big in that next game as well. If anyone should be concerned, I'd think it would be U of A, as the last 4 meetings have made it clear there's a new contender for the crown out west.

Back