What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread 3/22 2.40pm MT

Although Tyler Griffey isn't their best player, he seems to be their weather vane. When he plays well, they play well. I hope we cover him as well as Paul and Richardson.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=330810356

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- For 50 years, Colorado could usually be dismissed as a program floating around the backwaters of college basketball.Since coach Tad Boyle arrived in 2010, Colorado sure looks like a program on the rise.Boyle has led Colorado to the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1962-63, and the No. 10-seed Buffs (21-11) are a trendy early-round upset pick when they face No. 7 seed Illinois (22-12) on Friday in the East Regional."We're the pretty girl right now," Colorado forward Spencer Dinwiddie said Thursday. "Everybody wants to pick us."Colorado wouldn't have been anyone's pick until Boyle arrived from Northern Colorado. Since then, the Buffaloes have averaged 23 wins. Last season they stormed through the Pac-12 tournament to win an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, then snagged an opening-round win over UNLV. Energized by that experience, Colorado earned an at-large bid to this season's NCAA tournament after a solid 10-8 finish in the Pac-12.Everything, Dinwiddie said, is going just like Boyle promised."When coach was recruiting me, he talked about wanting to build Colorado into a perennial Top 25 program. I think you see the strides that we're making toward that," Dinwiddie said. "And we are just going to get better."Boyle, a former Kansas player, is building Colorado's foundation on players like Dinwiddie, a forward from California who led the team in scoring, and Texan Andre Roberson, the Pac-12 defensive player of the year who ranks second nationally in rebounds with 11.3 per game.Roberson grew up in San Antonio, about 75 miles south of Austin, and was passed over by the major programs in the Lone Star State until he had already decided to take his game to the Rocky Mountains."I was kind of a late bloomer. The Texas schools didn't come in until late," Roberson said. "I took it as a sign of disrespect."For Boyle, attracting talent like Roberson and Dinwiddie took making a hard sell on what Colorado could be, not what it had been. Colorado had been to the NCAA tournament just 10 times between 1940 and 2011."We sell the opportunity to come and make your mark on a program and leave your stamp on a program and build a legacy," Boyle said.Comparing basketball pedigrees with Illinois isn't even close. The Illini have been to the NCAA tournament 30 times, 11 since 2000. Illinois missed last season's tournament but returns with a senior-laden lineup under first-year coach John Groce.The Illini burst through a 12-0 start that included winning the Maui Invitational and a win over Gonzaga, the team that entered the NCAA tournament at the top seed in the West Region and ranked No. 1.The schedule got much tougher when the Big Ten season started in January. After a 2-7 start in league play, Illinois rallied to an 8-10 finish and enter the NCAA tournament having lost three of their last four games.The mid-season slide brought out a lot of "doubters and haters," Groce said. "They stayed the course. I appreciate the way they fought."With that kind of up-and-down season, Illinois players displayed little of the positive energy Colorado did during the teams' pregame NCAA news conferences Thursday.Dinwiddie talked about the momentum surrounding the Colorado program and the chase to "win it all." Illinois guard D.J. Richardson noted Friday's game "could possibly be our last" and the team wants to "come out and fight and have fun."While that could come across as a sense of doom from Illini players, it could also be a quiet confidence from a team that had to slug its way through the nation's toughest conference to get here."We know we can play with anybody in this tournament," Illinois forward Tyler Griffey said. "We have had some big moments and big games and big wins, but we have had some low points too. I think we have learned from all of those experiences and we are going to use them to our advantage."

Hey guys.

I find it hilarious and awesome that our two fan bases are getting into it... in a civil way for the most part (it appears many post have been deleted)

I love that you guys have a 20 page thread going and you (I guess) aren't a HUGE basketball school....nice board

The only thing I do know is that this Illini team has cost me two remotes so far this year...hopefully you don't see why.

I look forward to seeing your rebound machine too.

Lastly.... New Mexico ruined my bracket and UNLV sucks so I won't ever visit those four corner states...hopefully you will prevent me from holding a grudge against Colorado.

Hey guys.

I find it hilarious and awesome that our two fan bases are getting into it... in a civil way for the most part (it appears many post have been deleted)

I love that you guys have a 20 page thread going and you (I guess) aren't a HUGE basketball school....nice board

The only thing I do know is that this Illini team has cost me two remotes so far this year...hopefully you don't see why.

Lastly.... New Mexico ruined my bracket and UNLV sucks so I won't ever visit those four corner states...hopefully you will prevent me from holding a grudge against Colorado.

You do realize Nevada is not part of the Four Corners, right?

Hey guys.

No posts were deleted, but there was a spinoff thread.

I appreciate the Illinois fans coming over and smothering us with their own special brand of blandness. Jesus Christ, it's been boring around here.

Anyway, best of luck to your boys. No matter what happens in this game, I can confidently say that I hope we never play the Illini again, in anything.

Enjoy your afternoon at Bennegans eating deep-fried cheese sticks and drinking Miller beer products--or whatever it is you people do on gameday.

Enjoy your afternoon at Bennegans eating deep-fried cheese sticks and drinking Miller beer products--or whatever it is you people do on gameday.

Orr, with all due respect to lame-ass mid-western quasi-sports-bar eateries, there is a spelling error. It is actually BennIgans.

Bennigans is a 'sports bar' for overweight chicks looking for dispassionate sex with 50 year olds. And, apparently, Illini fans.

Bennigans is a 'sports bar' for overweight chicks looking for dispassionate sex with 50 year olds. And, apparently, Illini fans.

Well why didn't somebody say so earlier? Here I was wasting all of this time at airport bars.

Illini fans are almost as bad as ASU fans. I hope you Buffs roll right over Illinois today and I hope it's not even close.

Illini fans are almost as bad as ASU fans. I hope you Buffs roll right over Illinois today and I hope it's not even close.

Bad? I wouldn't describe our brief interaction with them as "bad".

What's the right word to describe a fanbase whose biggest contribution was to fervently defend a chatsite format?

Reading their posts is like listening to Crazy Train performed by a high school pep band. Yes, it's a great song, and yes you really want to root for the guys and gals who are trying so hard, but in the end it's mostly just generic background noise that's mildly annoying in its existance.

Thanks for the tip. I somehow knew I'd been wasting my time at Applebees.
Same difference; must be your game. Maybe a little Axe Desperation Musk[SUP]TM[/SUP] body spray + cocktails made with flavored vodka, and you'll be buying her breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in no time.

Same difference; must be your game. Maybe a little Axe Desperation Musk[SUP]TM[/SUP] body spray + cocktails made with flavored vodka, and you'll be buying her breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in no time.

I'm still pretty attached to my Hai Karate, but thanks again.

Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread 3/22 2.40p...

Bennigan's went bankrupt several years ago.

Aside from lamenting the demise of the originator of the national casual dining concept, this is a freaking huge game for the Buffs.

Must Win.

Last edited:
I'm no Illinois fan. Also, I prefer Shenanigans for my fried cheese.

Semper Gumby

shenanigans-300x240.jpg

Back