What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v UConn - NCAA Tourney - Official Thread - Thursday 11.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brimah's good, tall, looks like Mutumbo. But he's got those awkward feet and is rather lanky. Scott shouldn't be overwhelmed by strength.

J40 could have a big game but damnit finish around the rim, that goes for everyone. Tired of seeing us miss layups all the time.

The guards are going to have to be able to get the ball to him though. That's the rub.

It's a tough matchup, but great to play Uconn in the tourney. Name recognition and tradition. That's fun college basketball right there.

Like Tad said, CU needs to get to a point where they are worthy of a higher seed. The losses to USC and Utah were killers. CU has no one to blame but themselves.

Read the UConn board briefly. They are concerned about defending outside shooting, which is nice to hear. We just have to make sure our guys are willing to pull the trigger. By "our guys", I mean people that aren't GMFK, his trigger finger is itchy and I like it. And a big, but slow guy inside sounds good also.
They also had 1 guy who said we weren't great on the perimeter, and that Fortune was our best guard, so... hope he's their scout.
Side note: AAC were some of the hardest games to get out here. Saw tons of Big 10 and 12 and East. So I'm going to take the couple nuggets that make our chances sound good and roll with it. Go Buffs.

Just hoping to not repeat the Pitt debacle...... Horrible matchup for the Buffs.... Team on a roll since the prayer three pointer answered against CIncinnati... Ollie a very good coach... Hope I am wrong....

Should be a fun game to watch (I see a long lunch hour in my future). There seem to be a few givens in this game considering how the teams play.
1. The buffs will have more than 15 turnovers.
2. The Huskies bigs will be in foul trouble.
3. Kansas fans will be cheering for the Buffs in part because of proximity, in part because Tad was Jayhawk and in part because they want nothing to do with a hot UCONN.
4. CU will struggle to stop the UCONN guards from driving.

Now for the things that will determine the outcome.
1. CU has more than 20 turnovers. UCONN very likely wins (Though CU has won several games with more than 20 turnovers...how I don't know, but they have).
2. UCONN's mini Mutombo getting in foul trouble too quickly would allow Scott to go crazy which would likely lead to a CU win (As UCONN would then have to double).
3. Which ever team shoots a better percentage from 3 point land likely wins.

I am not saying we are going to win this game and I realize it is a bad matchup but do people really not see the difference between this team and the team that played Pitt two years ago? That team lost their best player and was mentally weak and young. Essentially the exact opposite of this team that plays very hard every game, battles back from whatever score. This team may not have nearly as much talent as UConn and a bunch of teams in the Pac-12 but they still outperform that talent level consistently.

UConn...so hot right now but I hope we don't play scared just because of the name. They finished dead center in their average conference, only ahead of Memphis and 4 bad teams. We've played plenty of athletic teams this year, we should be ready.

On a scale of one to ten. How important is this game for Tad and the program?
I see it as the biggest game of the year and the difference between a good season and a 'successful' one. Winning this game is the only statement needed to say we're moving up. Losing suggests stagnation. These perspectives may not be completely fair, but on the surface that's how it looks IMO.

So I'm calling it a 10.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but, do any of you know where to find what side our bench will be on? I don't want to buy tickets on the UConn side. Or do guys think it is more of a sit on your teams side once you get in there?

I have called PrimeSport the official NCAA ticket exchange and they said they don't know, call the school. I called CU box office and I don't think anyone is home.

For sure. Let's hope our decent showing in Vegas (besides Arizona first half) puts an end to this:

4) they have little success outside of Boulder. Their home court is one of the best in the nation and for years were awful away from it. That wasn't as much the case this year but I'm still suspect of how they will perform on a big stage outside of Colorado.
No, let's hope a win over UConn puts it to rest (at least for now). To be 16-1 at home and 6-10 elsewhere means there's a real issue, although as 'insiders' we know that we were really close at USC, Utah and v AZ in the tournament.

No, let's hope a win over UConn puts it to rest (at least for now). To be 16-1 at home and 6-10 elsewhere means there's a real issue, although as 'insiders' we know that we were really close at USC, Utah and v AZ in the tournament.

Right. But on neutral courts this year we are 2-3. Those three losses were against ranked opponents that outscored us by a combined 14points. I like our neutral court games much better than away games.

Recent play provides Buff fans a hint of what to expect in this upcoming match-up with the Huskies. Looking back at PAC tourney AZ game, when Buffs are hitting from the perimeter, we are very difficult to deal with (2nd half and scored 58 points). But if effectively contested on the perimeter, altering shooting confidence, allowing eventual double down on Josh, we get a result like the 1st half against AZ. That situation was telling per this upcoming match-up. Buff defense in that first half mess, eventually started to fade when we could not connect on the offensive end. Raucous Cat crowd in Vegas, revenge game, was an awful combo.

Bring on Thursday. CU will be rested, neutral court, just a good match-up of two solid basketball teams. Due respect to the "Big Dance" stage.

UConn dribble penetration is worrisome (scoring threat and potential foul trouble for the Buffs), and Buffs often slow in getting back after a miss. We match-up well in front line depth, and have offensive edge per scoring inside. Husky defense is very talented, but most effective against stopping the dribble penetration, which is really not our game. When Huskies rush the ball and look to double on the edge, Josh and Wes should get some decent looks. Josh is so awkward to defend, especially the first time you see him. GK could really be the difference, if he maintains stride and handles the "Big Dance" stage well.

If Bufffs are shooting well from the perimeter (no doubt Huskies will watch the AZ 1st half "film" to contest), the inside out game is going to be tough for Huskies to fully contain (both directions). At first glance, if we are hitting shots, and do not get in early foul trouble, we match up well in this game. Buffs show up lacking shooting confidence and get discouraged on D, game is going to look more like the first half against AZ. Huskies will likely have an advantage per TO's given their front court edge. Buffs need to hit the glass hard on both ends to help balance that out. This also applies to front court scoring advantage for Huskies. Josh Fortune is a bit of a wildcard that could make up some of the front court gap, and I do expect Josh to have a solid game.

With the memory of the beat down we got from Pitt last tourney appearance still fresh on the minds of current players, I think we show up a more mature team, and better prepared to play our game. This is going to be a close game, probably last couple of possessions. Who shows up "ready to play" is going to win this game. If both show up on stride, this should be a really good basketball game! Just do not see a huge advantage to either team.

"Who wants it more", kinda game.

Last edited:
So, do we hit our 6 minute scoreless stretch at the beginning of the game or the end?

Recent play provides Buff fans a hint of what to expect in this upcoming match-up with the Huskies. Looking back at PAC tourney AZ game, when Buffs are hitting from the perimeter, we are very difficult to deal with (2nd half and scored 58 points). But if effectively contested on the perimeter, altering shooting confidence, allowing eventual double down on Josh, we get a result like the 1st half against AZ. That situation was telling per this upcoming match-up. Buff defense in that first half mess, eventually started to fade when we could not connect on the offensive end. Raucous Cat crowd in Vegas, revenge game, was an awful combo.

Bring on Thursday. CU will be rested, neutral court, just a good match-up of two solid basketball teams. Due respect to the "Big Dance" stage.

UConn dribble penetration is worrisome (scoring threat and potential foul trouble for the Buffs), and Buffs often slow in getting back after a miss. We match-up well in front line depth, and have offensive edge per scoring inside. Husky defense is very talented, but most effective against stopping the dribble penetration, which is really not our game. When Huskies rush the ball and look to double on the edge, Josh and Wes should get some decent looks. Josh is so awkward to defend, especially the first time you see him. GK could really be the difference, if he maintains stride and handles the "Big Dance" stage well.

If Bufffs are shooting well from the perimeter (no doubt Huskies will watch the AZ 1st half "film" to contest), the inside out game is going to be tough for Huskies to fully contain (both directions). At first glance, if we are hitting shots, and do not get in early foul trouble, we match up well in this game. Buffs show up lacking shooting confidence and get discouraged on D, game is going to look more like the first half against AZ. Huskies will likely have an advantage per TO's given their front court edge. Buffs need to hit the glass hard on both ends to help balance that out. This also applies to front court scoring advantage for Huskies. Josh Fortune is a bit of a wildcard that could make up some of the front court gap, and I do expect Josh to have a solid game.

With the memory of the beat down we got from Pitt last tourney appearance still fresh on the minds of current players, I think we show up a more mature team, and better prepared to play our game. This is going to be a close game, probably last couple of possessions. Who shows up "ready to play" is going to win this game. If both show up on stride, this should be a really good basketball game! Just do not see a huge advantage to either team.

"Who wants it more", kinda game.
UConn fans are focused on Kansas. Hope a little of this creeps into player psyche.

I guess the fear of UConn is based on their sweeping the conference tourney, and the thought that they can "turn it on" for the post-season, as they did a couple years back. Certainly they didn't look dominant the last couple weeks of the regular season, at least based on a quick review of those games.

Hopefully we'll come out focused and with a "chip on our shoulder" since seemingly no one thinks we can win.

One thing I noticed in the Cincy game is that while yes their guards focus a lot on driving into the paint, a lot of these drives result in a step back jumper. I don't know too much about Cincy's size but a lot of these jumpers just barely made it over their big men with outstretched arms and I found myself saying 4 or 5 times that there would be no way that would have made it over Wes. So yes they slash but they still settle for the jumper a lot, and if Wes even has only an inch on that Cincy PF I think he's going to get a lottttt of blocks which might mess up their midrange game.

Hey guys, UConn fan (and Kansas fan...Law School there, so this draw sucks for me), not here to flame or troll. Pay no mind to UConn fans who seem to be worried about Kansas. We learned that lesson a few years ago looking ahead to Kentucky as an 8 seed and losing to Iowa State. Unfortunately, we don't see many Pac games, due to the time zone.

Don't expect Brimah to even start the game. He hasn't recently. Phil Nolan will start at the 5. More athletic and a better defender against a player like Scott. Nolan will get in foul trouble, it is expected. Still, the strategy will likely be to deny the entry pass. Given what we've heard about CU PG struggles and turnovers, I suspect UConn will pressure the perimeter as a means of (a) defending the 3 (b) forcing TOs and getting transition baskets and (c) keeping the ball away from Scott. No idea if it works, but I think that will be the plan. Defense is the strength of the team. 13th in Kenpom.

UConn has been best when we've been able to get out in transition, and we will usually push the ball after any defensive rebound. Teams that don't turn the ball over and are great on the offensive glass have been a problem. Our half court offense can go through stagnant phases, and if we settle for 3s late in the shot clock we struggle. It has been better lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back