What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v UConn - NCAA Tourney - Official Thread - Thursday 11.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, UConn fan (and Kansas fan...Law School there, so this draw sucks for me), not here to flame or troll. Pay no mind to UConn fans who seem to be worried about Kansas. We learned that lesson a few years ago looking ahead to Kentucky as an 8 seed and losing to Iowa State. Unfortunately, we don't see many Pac games, due to the time zone.

Don't expect Brimah to even start the game. He hasn't recently. Phil Nolan will start at the 5. More athletic and a better defender against a player like Scott. Nolan will get in foul trouble, it is expected. Still, the strategy will likely be to deny the entry pass. Given what we've heard about CU PG struggles and turnovers, I suspect UConn will pressure the perimeter as a means of (a) defending the 3 (b) forcing TOs and getting transition baskets and (c) keeping the ball away from Scott. No idea if it works, but I think that will be the plan. Defense is the strength of the team. 13th in Kenpom.

UConn has been best when we've been able to get out in transition, and we will usually push the ball after any defensive rebound. Teams that don't turn the ball over and are great on the offensive glass have been a problem. Our half court offense can go through stagnant phases, and if we settle for 3s late in the shot clock we struggle. It has been better lately.
It will work against our guards, never fear.

The most frustrating thing about this year's CU team is how close to being great it is.

I mean, think about the 2 areas that hold it back vs what we do very well.

We've got a great post scorer. We've got great 3pt shooters (and a lot of them). We've got rebounding that has owned teams like Arizona. We've got guys that get to the line and a team shooting over 73% on FTs. We've got a great defense, both inside and out. That's a recipe that every program in the nation aspires to.

What holds the team back in games or stretches of games?

1. Not valuing the basketball on the way to 15+ turnovers.
2. Inability to make a ****ing bunny 2pt basket inside 8 feet.

It's mind bottling that this team has struggled so much on what should be basic things. I think what's at the root of both of those things is that the guards and wings aren't good passers off the bounce. So it puts an even bigger premium on playing inside-out because Josh and Wes are actually damn good passers out of the post and they get open shots for everyone via the "hockey assist" of the pass that sets up the assist pass (or they score themselves if no double team comes).

If that's true, there may not be a made layup in this game, haha. That's our problem.

Somehow, despite having one of the most efficient post players in the nation, CU was last in the Pac-12 in 2pt% (first in 3pt%). It's really bizarre. And that doesn't even account for how often they fail to make a layup through contact to get an "and-1" instead of missing and shooting 2 at the line.

Somehow, despite having one of the most efficient post players in the nation, CU was last in the Pac-12 in 2pt% (first in 3pt%). It's really bizarre. And that doesn't even account for how often they fail to make a layup through contact to get an "and-1" instead of missing and shooting 2 at the line.

UConn has had the same problem. One challenge has been that the AAC refs generally don't call anything (carryover from the Big East), so teams like Cincinnati can just beat you up. The final vs. Memphis was the first league game I've seen all year called that tightly. UConn offense has been better in non-conference games, and they finished the season #1 nationally in FT %.

Defense will be man with a mix of zone, and zone press at times.

This has the potential to have some ugly basketball if both teams can have scoreless droughts. But that sounds like #Tadball

A modest request from a Buff fan, it would be huge if Dom could play like he did in the AZ game in Boulder late in the season. Minimize Turnovers, hit a few shots, get a couple of extra assists, and avoid foul trouble. We need him in the game, not on the bench burning clock. This will be a challenge given the guard play of the Huskies.

In the Dance, making fewer bad plays, can be nearly as important as making a bunch of good ones. My gut per that 4 point line....it's about the back court match-ups. The "book" is not expecting our back court to have much success against the Huskies. It will be something to keep an eye on.

UConn has had the same problem. One challenge has been that the AAC refs generally don't call anything (carryover from the Big East), so teams like Cincinnati can just beat you up. The final vs. Memphis was the first league game I've seen all year called that tightly. UConn offense has been better in non-conference games, and they finished the season #1 nationally in FT %.

Defense will be man with a mix of zone, and zone press at times.

You guys shot FTs like a top third NBA team this year. Approaching 80% for a college team is ridiculously good.

Your theory on what the refs call dovetails with something I've believed for a while about how CU games get officiated, but haven't wanted to say because it probably sounds too homerish on officiating. But here goes. Tad coaches a very straight up man defense where the emphasis is on challenging everything without fouling. On offense, Josh Scott is a very fundamentally strong post player whose game draws a lot of fouls. Taken together, that is going to give CU an advantage on FTAs in most games.

My theory is that refs like to even things up, especially on the road. So, while another part of Tad's offensive philosophy is to attack the rim, this CU team is not getting foul calls on that as often as opponents. And, since Josh Scott draws some type of contact on every shot, they're only giving him the calls when he gets absolutely mugged to avoid blowing the whistle every trip. In short, I think CU has been hurt by officiating not calling things straight or even in an effort to not make the foul situation too lopsided... and that results in a lot of plays where CU players get hit on layups with no call while the same type of contact is called a foul on the other end. (And damn if that doesn't read as too homerish.:D )

A modest request from a Buff fan, it would be huge if Dom could play like he did in the AZ game in Boulder late in the season. Minimize Turnovers, hit a few shots, get a couple of extra assists, and avoid foul trouble. We need him in the game, not on the bench burning clock. This will be a challenge given the guard play of the Huskies.

In the Dance, making fewer bad plays, can be nearly as important as making a bunch of good ones. My gut per that 4 point line....it's about the back court match-ups. The "book" is not expecting our back court to have much success against the Huskies. It will be something to keep an eye on.

This is a HUGE ask and one that I don't see happening, frankly.

I'll take Larry Brown giving us the scoop over Isaac Hamilton

Larry Brown is just as likely to supply Kevin Ollie with the deets on CU as he would be to supply Tad Boyle with UConn intel.

Ollie played under Brown with the 76ers on the 2000-01 team that went to the NBA finals.

This season when UConn played SMU, Brown said, "I don't like playing against Kevin. I have so much admiration for him."

That sounds very familiar.

I hope Larry recuses himself and doesn't play favorites among his protégés.

I just don't have a good feeling about this one, visions of Pitt and being unable to hit a shot. A few days to go to talk myself into it.

Larry Brown is just as likely to supply Kevin Ollie with the deets on CU as he would be to supply Tad Boyle with UConn intel.

Ollie played under Brown with the 76ers on the 2000-01 team that went to the NBA finals.

This season when UConn played SMU, Brown said, "I don't like playing against Kevin. I have so much admiration for him."

That sounds very familiar.

I hope Larry recuses himself and doesn't play favorites among his protégés.

He'll probably sit it out unless he's far closer with one over the other (I don't know...hard to tell based on media comments). I'm just not worried about Isaac Hamilton since we played UCLA only once and he likely remembers relatively little. Really, given the availability of film and scouting, I'm not sure anyone can offer a ton that isn't already known outside of a few pointers.

He'll probably sit it out unless he's far closer with one over the other (I don't know...hard to tell based on media comments). I'm just not worried about Isaac Hamilton since we played UCLA only once and he likely remembers relatively little. Really, given the availability of film and scouting, I'm not sure anyone can offer a ton that isn't already known outside of a few pointers.

Tad should get good intel from his buddy Mark Few, who beat UConn in November

I just don't have a good feeling about this one, visions of Pitt and being unable to hit a shot. A few days to go to talk myself into it.

I was rambling right before the selection over how UConn was a side I wanted to avoid. Given our last two first half showings on this stage, there is definitely a scenario that's not hard to envision of us going behind 14-3 to a UConn side full of confidence. That Pitt side was about as consistent as they come, though. UConn is much more of a mixed bag. Do we get blueblood UConn that's back in 2014 national title mode, or the team that was just playing in the 4/5 game in a conference ranked below the A10? Maybe that roller coaster they just went on leaves them a bit drained..one can hope

Does anyone really think that all of this "intel" really makes any difference any more? I mean, I could probably get more information about the Buffs from reading the scouting reports of our own fans than I can from talking to a coach that played them once a couple of months ago. It just seems that any sort of coaching intel would still need to be accompanied by film and further study, to the point where it doesn't really have much value over what is readily available.

Am I wrong about this?

Does anyone really think that all of this "intel" really makes any difference any more? I mean, I could probably get more information about the Buffs from reading the scouting reports of our own fans than I can from talking to a coach that played them once a couple of months ago. It just seems that any sort of coaching intel would still need to be accompanied by film and further study, to the point where it doesn't really have much value over what is readily available.

Am I wrong about this?

You're probably right, but it's fun to thrown in every possible angle to see if there's an edge one way or the other, even if if there likely isn't.

Here's more meaningless trivia:

Huskies coach Kevin Ollie is obviously a Jim Calhoun protege who played at UConn back in the mid-90's. Without googling the answer... who is the other head coach in this year's field who is former UConn player under Jim Calhoun?

Last edited:

Am I wrong about this?
Thinking the same, game films are more useful.

I've always actually really liked the UConn mascot guy. I dunno why, I guess I just like his goofy look.

jonathan2.jpg

The most frustrating thing about this year's CU team is how close to being great it is.

I mean, think about the 2 areas that hold it back vs what we do very well.

We've got a great post scorer. We've got great 3pt shooters (and a lot of them). We've got rebounding that has owned teams like Arizona. We've got guys that get to the line and a team shooting over 73% on FTs. We've got a great defense, both inside and out. That's a recipe that every program in the nation aspires to.

What holds the team back in games or stretches of games?

1. Not valuing the basketball on the way to 15+ turnovers.
2. Inability to make a ****ing bunny 2pt basket inside 8 feet.

It's mind bottling that this team has struggled so much on what should be basic things. I think what's at the root of both of those things is that the guards and wings aren't good passers off the bounce. So it puts an even bigger premium on playing inside-out because Josh and Wes are actually damn good passers out of the post and they get open shots for everyone via the "hockey assist" of the pass that sets up the assist pass (or they score themselves if no double team comes).
#2 probably pisses me off the most. CU needs to do that combat layup drill. I forgot what it was called. Basically, you go in for a layup, get the hell fouled out of you and try to finish. Sounds stupid but it works. I'd still like us to run and press more but #1 kinda ****s that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back